Cinderbock - Heavyweight Brewing Co.

CinderbockCinderbock

Heavyweight Brewing Co. visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Doppelbock |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-02-2001)
View: Beers (0) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cinderbock Alström Bros
travolta

1.63/5  rDev -57%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Apperance: A frothy, rocky, and lightly tan head. Head retention was respectable, as well as lacing. A hazy, apricot color.

Nose: Teriaki, bbq beef, soy, and raisin.

Taste: Tastes like it smell but worse.

Notes: I did not even want to finish this one. It really tastes like teriaki sauce.

01-05-2005 19:38:31 | More by travolta
Jacobob10

1.95/5  rDev -48.5%

I will try my hardest not to bash this beer. Not because it is from NJ - like me - but because if you paired it up with some smoked meats it might not be that bad. But I will review this beer as I drank it, all by its lonesome without any form of smoked animal to match its flavor.

Appearance is not bad at all. Clear orange color with a light tan head. Decent retention, no lacing at all. The smell lets you know right away that the smoked malts are coming to party, and you better let them in or they're gonna kick your ass. Well, I'm not quite ready to let them in and I got my ass kicked pretty bad. I don't like the taste at all. Not even bearable in my opinion. It's just gross. Almost deserving of a drain pour. I decided to saddle up and stomach this beer all the way to the end. I did not enjoy it and will not buy it again. It REALLY smells and tastes like smoked meat. Don't get me wrong, I love smoked meat, just not in my beer.

04-05-2006 23:03:45 | More by Jacobob10
BCMan

2.15/5  rDev -43.3%

I've officially decided that it is now possible make liquid hot dogs. I was warned about smoke beers and wanted ti decide for myself. This beer poured up a murky yellow color...almost like muddy water. A decend head formed but faded thin coating. It smells like it tastes which is like a smoked hot dog. I've been told that you either love or hate this style of beer and I am clearly on one side with no chance of changing over. I might recommend this to someone that loves to smoke and eat smoked beef products.

04-07-2005 23:04:38 | More by BCMan
NJpadreFan

2.38/5  rDev -37.2%

Heavyweight Cinderbock

Appearance- hazy brown tinted orange with a thin head/ no lacing.
Smell- smoked ham. Small woodchips; cedar, hickory, and cherry.
Taste- like a smoked ham sandwich. Sweet malt and a slight roasted hickory hop flavor.
Mouthfeel- smokey, like accidentally inhaling the campfire. Very sweet throughout.

Overall- No..No..No.. Just can't drink it. Sorry Heavyweight but smoked ham flavored beers are not my forte'. Just too smokey and too sweet. Might go well for those of you eating a big meaty meal, but not enjoyable otherwise.

03-07-2006 21:50:09 | More by NJpadreFan
genaro

2.63/5  rDev -30.6%

Cinderbock was a dark amber color with a light tan head that didn't linger. The aroma reminded me of a smoked shoulder with just a little floral bouquet. Besides its smokiness the taste was a little sweet and citrusy. The mouthfeel was a little oily with a decent hop bite. The finish was dry and smokey. I was put off by the smoked shoulder quality even though I really like smoked shoulder (salt, fat, and cholesterol). But that's just my taste and why I rated it so.

02-11-2004 00:58:59 | More by genaro
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.65/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours with a thick head but not much lace is left. This is a unique lager, having a distinct medicinal nose and taste. A hazy coppery color probably from the Bavarian lager yeast. I think you will either like or hate this beer, there is not much middle ground. Found in 4-paks ($7.99) at the Wine Society in Tyngsboro, Ma.

03-12-2003 15:53:40 | More by jdhilt
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

2.7/5  rDev -28.8%

I didn't read the label when I bought this and I can tell from the very beginning that I am in for a surprise with this beer.

A - Pours a murky yellowish brown with a thin off white head.

S - Heavy smoke, almost like smoked bacon or ham, slight hint of malt sweetness.

T - A smokiness that intensifies as it warms. Smoked bacon and ham. Not as smoky as a rauchbier but the smokiness definitely dominates this one.

M - Medium body that feels heavier than it is due to the lack of carbonation. Paired with the smoky taste it makes me feel like I am drinking the drippings from smoked meat.

D - Having not read the label this is definitely not what I was expecting from a Bock. I don't like smoked beers and don;t think I could drink another of these.

05-25-2006 01:45:37 | More by brewcrew76
twelvsies

Maine

2.9/5  rDev -23.5%

Had this one on tap at the Moan and Dove when they were showcasing the Heavyweight Brewery. They originally had a bunch of draft offerings, but by the time I made it this was the only one left. Too bad. This is one of those beers that either you're crazy about or you really don't like it. I think I'm more on the "really don't like it" side. Appears to be a pretty typical amber color, perhaps darker than your average lager. It's definately not a dopplebock, as it says on this site, at least as I understand the style. This beer is pretty hard to categorize I guess. Anyway, the smokiness just really isn't my thing. Basically that killed this whole beer for me. I could tell there were other nice sweet malty notes in there and some hop bite but the smoked flavor took over. Thinking about it now really just makes me think of a beer with a cigarette put out in it. Like I said, just not my style. If you know that you really dig these smoky style beers then it might be great in your opinion, but if not, I would say avoid this one.

04-06-2005 16:50:29 | More by twelvsies
francisweizen

Alaska

2.95/5  rDev -22.2%

This is only my second smoke ale, and I am still not impressed. This poured a nice enough pale amber colour with an ample head but the aromas were just too smoky for me (literally). This beer smelled like a big piece of smoked ham, or smoked sausage and it tasted very similar. You can taste the hops and the malts in this beer, but they are hidden very well by this beers smokiness. The mouthfeel was balanced enough, but for me the drinkability is very bad, as I struggled to finish one bottle of this...

Cheers to Beerluvr for the bottle and the experience!
-F

05-08-2003 10:08:00 | More by francisweizen
jaluria

Connecticut

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

A poor beer from a great, great brewery. I was excited to try this when I saw it on-tap, but was more than disappointed.

Appeared a cloudy, orange-gold color with a thin white colored head that left behind minimal lacing; not at all what I expected. Looked more like a fruity mixed drink than beer. Aromas of damp towels, alcohol, and rotten candy seemed to come out; not appealing at all. The taste was somewhat malty, as might be expected, but also present was a pronounced astringent taste that was not pleasant or enjoyable. Fruit flavors came out as well, but they seemed out-of-place in that they did not work with the other flavors. The texture was oily and sticky and as a result was not flavorful enough or smooth enough to enjoy again and again.

04-11-2006 14:08:59 | More by jaluria
ithacabaron

Pours a basic brown, not shiny, but not too dull. A small head fades to nothing on top of the liquid. Nothing to write home about.

Smell is slightly smoky, with acidulated malt, munich malt, and treacle.

Taste is malty, but with a sour overriding tone that clashes with the smoke and never quite resolves itself.

Mouthfeel is fine for the style.

Drinkability takes a hit -- I had a few bottles of this over time while reviewing it, and I've never looked forward to the next one.

All in all, I can't call this a success. It's not exactly a bock, nor is it smoky enough. Some people love this stuff. Those people are not me.

08-17-2005 18:28:29 | More by ithacabaron
BigMike

11-16-2011 19:44:02 | More by BigMike
xgrigorix

3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

Twelve ounce brown bottle, no dates.
Deep burnished amber color, with a puffy light tan head.
Aromas of smoke and orange fill the nose.
A well rounded malt flavor gives way to a profound and intense smokiness. Finishes dry with a hint of orange.
Full bodied, with decent carbonation.

07-31-2003 13:23:29 | More by xgrigorix
bennetj17

Arizona

3.08/5  rDev -18.7%

This beer looks dead, like tomato juice but more of a brown/mahogany color instead, no head. The aroma is fairly strong, smoky, meaty, with a malt sweetness dominating. The taste is awful at first, but I don't give up on it. Very strong and tangy, the malt tastes nutty and has a mild smoke flavor. The overriding tanginess destroys the other flavors trying to come through, but give it some time and it begins to want to balance itself out a bit with some brown sugary sweetness. Mouthfeel is slightly thin, and there is just enough carbonation to get by. This beer is hanging on by a thread, I am able to finish this bottle, but I think I'll have something else next...

06-12-2006 03:15:23 | More by bennetj17
HimerMan

3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

12oz bottle poured into my trusty Delirium tremens glass.

Nice apple cider brown pour with a moderate off-white/tan head that went away rather quickly.

Tastes like a brown ale mixed with a dopplebock, very nice opening with sweet and tart flavor that ends with a sourness. As the beer warms, more of the sourness comes through - a bit like rind of an orange thats been soaked in alcohol.

Much better at colder temperatures - however, worth the try if you can find these anymore.

Give this a shot if you are into dopplebocks, it is mild given its alcohol content, and best at colder (not too cold) temperatures.

Cheers.

08-04-2006 01:02:19 | More by HimerMan
dvorsd

3.23/5  rDev -14.8%

This is one of the selections in a 4-pack sampler from Heavyweight Brewing Co. Upon pouring, the beer had a slightly cloudy orange-brown color with a thick off white head that left little residue on the glass after it settled down.

The first thing I noticed was the smoked smell emanating from the glass. It reminded me very much of smoked Gouda. The taste is also quite smoky, at least initially. After a few sips I was able to detect some moderate malt sweetness with just a touch of hops to it. Even the smokiness of the beer dominated with a lingering aftertaste.

All in all this is certainly an interesting beer. It is the first that I have tried that employs smoked malts. While I'd be willing to try it again, I don't think it is something that I am able to drink often.

05-19-2003 19:24:13 | More by dvorsd
Gavage

3.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Bought the sampler 4 pack and Cinderbock sported a lovely cartoon goat smoking a cigarette. I usually pair a smoked beer with bbq food, but I decided to crack it open without food. The beer poured with a large head, and was over carbinated. After letting it sit, the I noticed a lightly cloudy copper-colored lager that had a smokey odor. The smoked malt provided a strong, but not overpowering flavor. The aftertaste lingered more than I like (but then again I didn't pair this with food). Compared to other smoke beers I have sampled, this is one of the better ones even though I felt this bottle was overcarbinated. Very unique and worth trying, but this is a one bottle limit in a stand alone tasting session.

07-18-2003 22:09:27 | More by Gavage
frank4sail

3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

Malt nose with hints of burnt popcorn. Amber almost berry color. Off white 1/2 inch head. Lots and lots of mouth for a "lager". This is not a traditional lager your mother would order .. I would call it a "smoke" beer first with a taste that is dominated by the "burnt popcorn" big malt base. An intensebeer but, I would not call it very drinkable. The brew would go good with smoked meats or fish.

08-22-2002 20:23:07 | More by frank4sail
rayjay

Hawaii

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

Scored at the Foodery and driven 3000 miles to me by a very good friend indeed!!!!

Poured into a tall Paulaner glass, very slowly, and the head completely took over the glass (a la Chimay White). Therefore I had to pour this is 2 phases. Lots of yeast so beware. No lacing.

The smell is VERY smoky, the smokiest I've had to date by a long shot. Big salty ham smell, along with a very strong, telltale east coast lager smell. Leather, horse, smoked jerky (the sweet kind).

Mouthfeel was completely flat, like a stale cask in it's waning, still-drinkable, final moments. Strong bock body for sure. Bitter hops hit 1 second later, then are gone in a flash, leaving the smoke in your nose and the malt on the tip of your tounge. Heavy in your gut, and the alcohol is present there if you look for it.

Edit: this isn't really a dopplebock, it's a dark pale beer that smells and tastes like it got rescued from a burning building.

Very unique brew, I'd drink it again, if I can ever get ahold of one again. (the brewery is shutting down as I write this). Fun to try, but way too heavy for me. Lots of malt=I'm full and drunk and dehyrdated.

08-07-2006 21:23:52 | More by rayjay
Fish113d

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

Served from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass, it pours a honey color with some slight haziness and a slight head that dissipates to a white edge lacing on the glass. Aroma is smokey malts with a beechwood or bologna smell to it. Slight hops are found in there as well with a slight sugary caramel; pretty complex! Taste is rather smokey and sweet; it reminds me of deer jerky or sweet bologna really. I am not too big on this right now. Feel is tingly carbonation up front that gives way to a smooth full-bodied brew. Not much alcohol found throughout this one, but worth a try. I personally do not care for smoke beers too much, and the fact that it reminds of bologne kinda bothers me a little.

04-06-2005 00:00:14 | More by Fish113d
alexgash

Connecticut

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

Great label. Kinda wish the beer were better. Starts off nicely, with a dark amber body and a medium-sized light tan head. Smells of smoked salmon, eggs, and slight malts. Taste is very sweet to begin with--too sweet--the ensuing smokiness doesn't subdue it enough. The smoked flavors are there, though, and they are salty and meaty--like beef jerky. In fact, maybe I will substitute this beer for jerky on my next road trip. Does Conoco stock Heavyweight beers? Finish is slightly bitter with traces of smokiness and camp fire. Very interesting. Mouthfeel is a little syrupy, and I don't think I could drink this on a regular basis.

09-29-2003 17:40:05 | More by alexgash
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A most interesting surprise from the gifts of the generous Ilkerts in NJ. This one is average in every respect, albeit very fresh and refreshing at the end of another super humid day. Sourness like their baltic porter! Smoke which is not my thing. Bit of metallic aftertaste.

08-04-2005 02:21:56 | More by Sammy
Billolick

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz bottle, this one opened with a burst, poured with a ton of carbonation, 4 inch head and a lot of bubble continuing to rise up.I was a bit worried this stuff had turned.Anyway it calmed down in the glass and exhibited a strong smoky nose, a nice smoky flavor profile and a decent, if highly carbonated finish. This stuff tastes like a BBQ. Not for everybody , but its allways worth supporting the good folks @ Heavyweight

04-02-2004 06:04:40 | More by Billolick
yankeeheel

Maine

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear light brown with a wild billowy eggshell colored head. Tons of retention and soap suds style lacing.

Smells mostly smoky with a little nutty background.

Tastes like a light version of last nights beer. Nice amount of smoky malt meets you up front. The middle tends to be quite sweet and buttery. Almsot a little plum in there too. Finishes kindly with a little nit of a warming glow.

Mouthfeel is quite light but not thin. Lagering works for this one.

I could drink a few of these. Goes down easy. The smoke might get a little intolerable after a while.

03-25-2004 02:35:30 | More by yankeeheel
mentor

Colorado

3.55/5  rDev -6.3%

Bottle provided by higravity, via SS'05. Thanks for the opportunity.

To start, who the F goes through the effort of making a doppelbock and then ruins it by including smoked malt? I'll try to review this objectively, but you know up front where I stand in regards to smoked beers.

Pours a two-finger fizzy almond head over a cloudy brown rust liquid. Smells sharp woody smoked grains. A little bit of sour brown tart cherry. Tastes sweet malty, yet tangy from the smoke...like a soured brown ale. Phenol is short and sharp, like the experience of fine and sharp carbonation. The smoke flavor comes across as an edge of funk, if you could slow it down. Dry woody. Md body and moderately carbonated. The beer is dominated by the smoke, so I'm not really fond of it.

01-24-2006 06:24:14 | More by mentor
Cinderbock from Heavyweight Brewing Co.