Bock-Bock - Heavyweight Brewing Co.

Bock-BockBock-Bock

Heavyweight Brewing Co. visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Doppelbock |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-04-2005)
Reviews by BeerBeing:
4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Presentation: 750ml brown glass generic bottle, white/grey/black label

Appearance: hazy dark orange color, large head, small sticky lacing

Smell: very malty and yeasty

Taste: medium-to-full body, creamy and crispy (at the same time) mouth feel, very malty, good srtong yeasty flavor, medium hops, minor alcohol,

Notes: excellent by itself and very good doppelbock, unfortunately - very limited release (20 cases x 12 bottles)

BeerBeing, Dec 04, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

Blessed to find a rare Heavyweight flowing Mad Mex Oakland, thanks for the heads up by the other BA bros. beergeek279 and cupbeerman. Appears a very deep plum amber hue with a thin light tan head leaves thin specks of lacing with each sip and seems low on carbonation. Aroma contains deep fruit plum, raisin, touch of apple along with alcohol charred wood and dark chocolate notes abundantly sweet. Taste has layers of alcohol glazed overly ripened fruit notes somewhat vinous raisin plum brandy esque more charred wood and dark chocolate effects present themselves as well. Mouthfeel is medium to fuller in body lower carbonation seems to help this brew really coats the palate with a warm juicy texture. Drinkability is highly quaffable a great succulent doppelbock that I would love to imbibe with a medium cooked nice steak.

WVbeergeek, May 18, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -24.3%

After probably 25-30 different Heavyweight beers, this one was the first that I can say I really wasn't all that crazy about. The disclaimer here is that Doppelbock isn't my favourite style in the world, however I have sampled more than a few that I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't think general indifference toward the style was the problem here. This one had some decent things going for it and is ultimately not a bad brew, it just seemed to be a bit unbalanced.

Anyway, it pours a very nice brown to somewhat amber colour with a bit of a haze to it and a fairly thin head atop the body.

The aroma is a pretty good mix of chocolate, a touch of caramel sweetness, a bit of fruit (grape/raisin) and a hint of alcohol.

The flavour is basically more of the same, with some roasted notes thrown into the mix, however, and this is where I think the beer lost me, the subtleness of the alcohol in the nose takes over about midway through each sip and dominates the rest of the way to the point of almost complete distraction. Mouthfeel is chewy and medium to full bodied with an abundance of warmth from the alcohol.

I just couldn't get into this one. It's the second beer I've had recently that has been decent and has had some nice qualities to it, only to be overshadowed by the alcohol flavour. Maybe it's just my palate being overly sensative to it lately. Who knows, but I wasn't that thrilled with this one in the end.

SixpointJMH, May 31, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Another brew had at the Blind Tiger- this 8%er definitely affected my handwriting. And my balance. And my happy level...

This wasn't my favorite brew of the eve, but it wasn't bad either. A middle of the roader. Poured pretty dark with good head. Tasted kinda chocolatey, kinda nutty, some red wine, and some raisins. Something about it made me think dark champagne, if ever there were such a thing. Creamy and smooth enough. Not great, not bad.

scooter231, Apr 13, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -10.7%

Notes taken at the Blind Tiger in November '05 (I would have added this to the BA database but I didn't know enough about specifics).
This struck me as a strange take on the style. Quite buttery and nutty... way malty, almost cloyingly so. Raisin bread came to mind with some cranberry or lingongberry tartness on the palate; unsweetened, raw cranberry or lingonberry. Probably quite different out of the bottle. I'd give it a shot.

ommegangpbr, Feb 10, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

I have been a fan of Tom's beers for many years and have been to the brewery hundreds of times in the last 5 years. If you're looking to fit Tom's beers into a style category, it's a waste of time. You need to take each one on its own merits. He usually gives it the name of the nearest style it resembles, but count on something being different. I enjoyed this beer a lot and tasted it throughout its fermenter life and beyond. Firewaters in AC had it on tap and I drank a lot of that, but the bottles continue to age and get better all the time. Its raisiny sweetness will mellow and add a winey flavor to it. We just opened a bottle last week and it was fantastic! If you can find one, try it again.

beertravel, Jun 03, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +10.4%

Firstly, I would like to say it seems the cap on this bottle was a bit too small- all of the bottles on the shelf had their caps on at an angle, and when shook, a couple of them audibily leaked gas.

A- Warm brown-amber, clear untill I poured a bit of yeast into the glass. Head is white and dissipates almost immediately.

S- aroma is very mild, although admittedly I do have a slight cold. Milk chocolate, raisons, faint alcohol.

T- Buttery caramel malt sweetness, raisons, milk choclate. Finishes dry with a long aftertaste of toffee and butter.

M- carbonation is slight, but very pleasant. I cannot help but wonder if it would have been more heavily carbonated if properly packaged, although I think it works perfectly as it is.

D- Beer is perfectly dense, on the lighter end of the medium-body spectrum. Not sticky or syrupy despite its sweetness, I find myself drinking this slightly faster than a beer this nice should be drunk

lokaen, Dec 22, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Consumed vom Fass at The Drafting Room in Exton, Pennsylvania on 08.05.06.

Amazingly rich and dense looking in the glass. The appearance was that of a deep and rich dark amber colour with a thin, beige hed gracing the top. Notes in the nose of rasin, various fruits, roasted malts, and some dark chocolate for good measure. Full on mouthfeel, incredibly smooth. Amazingly drinkable for the 8% brew that it is, yet "big" enough to be true to its style. A very, very nice find and, without a doubt, my fave from the Heavyweight line.

Prosit!

goindownsouth, Aug 08, 2006
Bock-Bock from Heavyweight Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.