Lunacy - Heavyweight Brewing Co.

LunacyLunacy

Heavyweight Brewing Co. visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-04-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunacy Alström Bros

rab53, Dec 01, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -42.6%

Starts out a cloudy copper honey color. Does not present with much of a head and minimal lacing.

Smell is on the sour side--citrus, not much else.

I don't know if I got a bad one--tastes sour and alcohol. Not much more than that.

Overall, very disappointed.

Might try again due to other reviewers.

Bachus, Feb 10, 2004
2.48/5  rDev -35.2%

im not sure what it is with this one but im usually impressed with heavyweight beers this one just doesn't do it for me. The pour isn't bad. A nice cloudy honey color with little to no head. The smell is very potent hit me as soon as i opened the bottle. Sour, Citrus,I almost can't put my finger on it. It has a very sour fruity taste. almost like you're sucking on a bad lemon. It also has a little bit of an alcohol kick. Mouthfeel isn't that bad..very crisp. but i dont think i would be able to drink more than one of these...may try again not sure

thetachibro, Nov 24, 2005
2.55/5  rDev -33.4%

A: Hazy/cloudy brownish-yellow in color. Thin head with scant to absent lacing.

S: Fruity and yeasty with a fair amount of malt in the nose. Spicy. Strangely similar to a Lancaster Strawberry wheat.

T: Very fruity tasting. The strawberry smell carries right through to the taste. There's an unpleasant artificial sweetener taste here.

M: Sweet rather than dry. The nutra-sweet like taste feels like it's coating my tongue.

D&N: No sir, I don't like it. I tried to find something positive about this one, but the only thing I could come up with is that I like the label art. Otherwise, I don't think I'll be drinking this one again.

JackTheRipper, May 16, 2004
2.68/5  rDev -30%

Lunacy- my 2nd beer from Heavyweight is a Belgian- style golden ale.

Hoping that each beer I drink from Heavyweight will outdue the previous one I expected Lunacy to be 1 step up on Gruit.But I could be wrong.

Lunacy poured a cloudy orange with small particles floating around (ah who cares) It had a nice white head which laced the glass nicely.

The aroma was spicy- very spicy!
The taste was not wat I was expecting but wasn't terrible. I could really taste the yeast and the spices were a little too strong for my palatte. The beer was very smooth with a slight acidic aftertaste.

Lunacy, unfortunately was a little too sweet and spicy for me but it was definitely worth the taste and I suggest others to give it a try.

NJpadreFan, Nov 17, 2003
2.73/5  rDev -28.7%

Tangerine colored with a small white cream above the liquid. An undeniable sour cream scent, with hints of coriander, honey, Belgian malts and yeast and loads of fruit. Strange, sour, musty yeast character...too sweet and doughy. Not one of their best.

Crosling, Mar 24, 2006
2.78/5  rDev -27.4%

Got a mixed 4 pack, and this is my least favorite of the bunch. Really a poor attempt at the style. Not "Belgian-y" at all. Zero head on top of a cloudy and very light ale. Tastes more like a hefeweizen to me... lots of wheat and yeast, and not much flavor. A bit of honey and pale malt perhaps, but nothing interesting. Mouthfeel is a little weak, as is this beer as a whole. So far, my experience with Heavyweight has been very hit or miss. This is a miss.

twelvsies, May 19, 2005
2.8/5  rDev -26.9%

*This sample was aged for about 5 months, as I typically like my Belgian-styled ales aged a bit to reduce the sweetness. It did not produce favorable results in this case.

Golden colored body, topped by a very thin white head. Sweet aroma is fairly one dimensional, with maybe just a hint of banana. The taste is rather sour and smothered in alcohol. Tastes like a cheap champagne. Mouthfeel is also champagne-like, with a fine bubbled carbonation causing the beer to feel like it expands in your mouth. Drinkability is not great. This is one heavyweight that I don't care for at all. Buying it again would be Lunacy.

aaronh, Jul 12, 2003
2.83/5  rDev -26.1%

Well, the thing about this golden is, one sip and you can tell it wasn’t brewed in Belgium. At least, that was my first thought.

Pours a (naturally) golden color, but while this beer has a good head, for it’s style it SHOULD be exceptional and it isn’t. Smell, as well as the taste, seem just plain off to me. Fruity, and spicy, this has a definite tang to it that is not complementary. Yikes. I was excited to try this, especially after Heavyweight’s imperial porter, but now I’m just kind of saddened. Not especially drinkable. This one needed some refinement before being released.

RocketWidget, Aug 11, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours a very cloudy golden and yeasty looking, almost like a wheat beer. You really can't see through this puppy. Alot of head in the pour, but it quickly left a very minimal white ring and thin covering with an itsy bitsy bit of bubbles. Wonderful aroma, yeasty and fruity, banannas, lemons, flowers. Very highly carbinated, it foams up in your mouth, champagne-like. Tastes of spices and citrus. I had just had roasted porkloin so I could easily place the taste of corriander. Very sweet, almost cloying. There was an awful flavor that I could not place, took me a while to place it, but it is phenalic and medicinal. Once I started to think about that, I could not even finish it. Seriously, it is a rare glass that I don't finish, so it takes some bad tastes to make me stop sippin. Just not impressed.

shapudding, Jul 05, 2004
2.98/5  rDev -22.2%

This pours a hazy, peach body with a small, white head that retains well, leaving minimal sheets of lace.
Aroma is on the bitter, yeasty side with spicy coriander and pepper. A vague fruitiness is in the background. Alcohol is also apparent.
Mouthfeel has a fizzy carbonation and a lighter than expected body.
The taste begins with a promising note of honey and fruity orange and banana, but an unpleasant bitterness quickly takes over. Spices of coriander and pepper are too assertive, but the acrid yeastiness is the lowpoint. Alcohol presence is medicinal, and a definite distraction. Finish is acrid and bitter, with a coriander aftertaste.
I expected this to be an excellent, American style Belgian strong pale ale, based on the other two Heavyweight brews I've tried. I'm very disappointed in this effort. Basically, I think there is a problem with the yeast. Hopefully, this one will be improved in the future.

merlin48, Oct 23, 2004

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle poured into tulip glass

Appearance: Very cloudy, hazy orange-cooper in color. Lots of yeast sediment held in suspension.

Aroma: Familiar phenols thrown by Belgian yeasts. Bitter Orange and pepper-like spiciness

Taste: Spicy at the first taste, maybe coriander. Gives way to fruityand malty flavors. Mild sourness on the finish.

Mouthfeel: A bit heavy for a Belgian. Seems a bit uncarbonated.The spiciness sticks around on the tongue.

Drinkability: It took a while for me to put this one away. The peppery flavors became overwhelming about half way through.

Riggsy, Jan 28, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -17%

I think I got this from weeare138. took this to fl. to share with bieristgut. from the bottle. poured a cloudy honey, with no head to speak of. aroma the hops jumped right out there first, than got some plums , pears, than the malts kicked in, spicey hints of grass and alcohol. flavor not as robust as I was hoping for the didn’t get as much hops as the aroma gave off, malts and alcohol along with the fruits showed up after it warmed a bit. not to bad

walleye, Apr 30, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

Hazy orange amber in hue. Lazily rising threads of bubbles support a thin, but well retained dense head. Loose lace remains. Soft, lemony citrus along with mellow, honey sprinkled kiwi upfront in aroma, with secondary notes of green apple. Subtle clove phenol and fusels surface upon swirling. Bready sweetness initially in flavor is ensued by sweettart combination of raw, musty honey and fleshy lime. Fruitiness expands mid palate, with stately, acidic kiwi and starfruit complemented with mild, herbal clove. Dextrinous and smooth, but with a bit of yeast derived pseudo - minerally chalkiness in mouthfeel. Becomes airy, with a cotton candy like sweetness emerging late. Finishes lightly phenolic and sweet, with faint notes of overripe, bitter gourd. Lunacy is a bit underwhelming in overall character, but retains the staple, yeast driven qualities of a good Belgian strong. It lacks the vibrant fruitiness of the greats, but remains tasty and soft on the palate.

marc77, May 31, 2003
3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

On tap at Redbones...

Light orange in color with definite yeasty Belgian style aroma.

I was actually impressed...I don't think it's up to Allagash, but it didn't leave me thinking, please don't attempt this style.

I found it to be a typical beer for this style: Yeasty and fruity in flavor. Not overly carbonated. I didn't rank it as high in drinkabilty as I thought the aftertaste was a bit syrupy and thus wouldn't influence me to have more than one.

Glad I got to try this: Not a bad beer by any means, just not an exemplary one. pat

PatandDavid, Jul 10, 2003
3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

Note: Got extremely drunk off of this at a friend's BBQ. When craft beer is flowing for free out of a keg, how could I not?

Appearance:

Cloudy yellow-brown. Little to no head.

Smell:

Apricot odor with medicinal notes as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Very fruity (apricot) with bitter hop tones throughout. Alcohol is apparent, but not offbalanced.

cbl2, Jun 24, 2004
3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

Courtesy of Malto...

Appearance: a cloudy golden pour with a medium white head that shrinks itself down to a ring.

Smell: the nose is semi sweet with light fruit notes and some wheat & yeast. seems to be a hint of caramel fudge as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Sweetness & an alcohol kick right off the top. Medium bodied, the mouthfeel starts fairly lively and then mellows out close to the point of being a little watery. A little bit of an apple sweetness that has great staying power. The finish is of an odd apple cider bitterness with light sweet notes that stays on the tongue longafter the sip is done.

Drinkability: i think i could appreciate this one as a bit of a medium bodied thirst quencher. Reminiscent of Ephemere Apple without the obvious fruity notes & lively bodied. I wasn't completely impressed howvever.

Popsinc, Jul 26, 2004
3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

Beer is a hazy golden color, due to the sediment I swirled out of the bottle and into my glass. Small head, did not last long, a few wisps of lace linger.
The smell is not overpowering by any means. It has hints of pepper, mainly a sweet, spicy citrus scent.
This beer has a very light carbonation, which may bring the flavors out a bit as there are not so many bubbles going off in your mouth. Something new willl be revealed with each sip. Bananna, cloves, pepper, orange/lemon, definitely on the sweet side, but not sickly sweet. I have found other beers in this style to be bright and refreshing, this one is maybe just a little too sweet.
This beer has a few things going on. That being said I do not think I could drink more than two of them in one sitting.

hungryghost, Oct 03, 2003
3.33/5  rDev -13.1%

Presentation: 12 fluid ounce bottle which has a label like that shown. Screw top, no freshness date but listed as 7.7% ABV.

Appearance: Hazy tangerine colored beer that has a peach fuzz appearance. Minimal head, this poured almost flat, sadly it has either lost its carbonation over time or it never had any. Some large bubbles form at the meniscus but it has a look of a very flat mead in the glass, somewhat detracting I have to say.

Nose: Yeast and spicy alcohol with some orange in the back end.

Taste: Mild sweetness at the beginning which threw me for a short while. But the spicy bitterness soon comes through in the middling orange fruitiness. Hops come to the fore in the finish which is very bitter and has an orange juice tang.

Mouthfeel: Light at first, then heavy in the finish. The orange fruits and coriander hang heavy in the uncarbonated finish. Bitterness clings to the tongue. Cloying at times.

Drinkability: It took a while to finish the 12oz, and it wasn’t that easy to finish to be perfectly honest. The lack of carbonation really detracted from the Drinkability, it really needs some effervescence to give the beer vivaciousness and to offset the heavy orange perfume and spices at times.

Overall: The lack of carbonation pulls down an otherwise good beer here. I will try it again, and hopefully even get to sample this one on draft sometime.

Thanks to my fellow East Coast BA Davo “the Evil Elf” for this little devil.

TheLongBeachBum, Dec 15, 2003
3.33/5  rDev -13.1%

Nice golden color with yeast haze, big head with sticky lacing left down glass. Smell is bready, yeasty, citrusy with a hint of bubble gum - actually smell is very reminiscent of a creamsicle. Taste is pleasant and interesting, not amazing, pretty much as expected from the aroma. Once I got that creamsicle idea in my head it is hard to get past it. Well, there are some higher alcohols, but not too bad. The alcohol flavor is definitely there, and I get some cherry esters too. Finishes with a lingering spiciness. For some reason I do not really yearn for another, perhaps the spicy finish is not my favorite. A solid, well-made beer that is complex, but not my favorite flavor profile. I have tried to like it on about five different occasions, but alas to little avail.

waughbrew, Oct 06, 2003
3.33/5  rDev -13.1%

Purchased at New Beer Distributors on Chrystie Street.
A not so pale, pale ale. Pours a hazy, brownish/orange color... not unlike brown tap water. Lots of little yeast floaties which I happen to respect in a beer and wins back some appearance points because of them.
Smells pretty good... yeasty and malty. Surely I am not about to encounter a hop monster.
The taste is ok. I spose it falls within the boundaries of the style but isnt really my sort of thing. Reminds me a bit of apple juice. Also reminds me of Unibroue's Maudite, now that I think on it (I didnt care for that one so much either.)
The mouthfeel on this is watery and flat.. again an apple juice likeness. I would have preferred more carbonation and either a lighter or denser mouthfeel. To me it seems like the feel is in limbo.
Drinkability is alright all in all. Based on this bottle I probably wouldn't go looking for this again for myself, but I can see folks liking it. (reminds me a little bit of Southampton's 2005 Grand Cru, which I did not enjoy).

ommegangpbr, Oct 20, 2005
3.35/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a very golden yellow with a wisp of a head. Makes a nice little sheet of lace on top of the beer. Smells very weakly of honey and butterscotch.

Taste wise I get a big dose of apple and honey but then it quickly ebbs to nothing but carbonation and a scant bit of hop. Gets a bit better as it warms Slightly sweet with a slick but empty ending. Bit of a letdown.

yankeeheel, Jan 23, 2004
3.35/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a nice cloudy gold, as you'd expect. Reminiscant of white grapes, yeast, and somewhat peppery. Fairly decent aroma. Nothing to write home about, although I've never written home about a beer, so....

My cheif complaint would be that the alcohol stands out, rather than being subdude by a nice palate. The last beer I drank, Maharaja, was 9.9% abv, whereas this is 7.7%. If I were to do a blind taste test, I would almost certainly guess that this beer was stronger. As such, the palate is a bit too dry for me. I certainly would not pass this beer up, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it either. It's worth a try though.

Contra, Apr 17, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Twelve ounce brown twist top bottle. No bottling date.

Bright burnished gold. Pin point carbonation rises from the depths. Peaks of white foam float on top. It goes a bit darker and very cloudy once the yeast is poured. Tons of lace cling to the glass.

Whiffs of spicy yeast and glowing hop aromas fill my nostrils.

Sweet soft malt, spicy yeast, apples and grapes, are followed by a dry hop filled finish.

Soft texture on the palate.

xgrigorix, Aug 07, 2003
3.48/5  rDev -9.1%

A tinge of red in an otherwise yellow to gold color. I had this on draft for the first time yesterday at the Brewer's Plate event in Philadelphia.

Head was slim and bright white. It did however hold up under the conditions. It was drank from a 6z sample cup. Nice nose. Citrus and spice with everything nice. Light in body, spicy, with a citrus peel like back end. Overall, real nice.

maybrick, Apr 11, 2005
Lunacy from Heavyweight Brewing Co.