Four Play IPA Batch #3 - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Four Play IPA Batch #3
No picture uploaded.

pDev: n/a
Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: tkdchampxi on 12-13-2013)
Reviews by DougAppleby:
4/5  rDev n/a

3.25/5  rDev n/a

3/5  rDev n/a

4/5  rDev n/a

3.76/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer is from Batch #3 in a four part series, wherein each beer is brewed using the same malt recipe, but featuring a different hop. Batch #3 is brewed with an unnamed experimental hop, referred to as 06300 (Batch #1 and #2 were brewed with Apollo and Bravo hops, respectively).

A: Pours a hazy dark amber with a foamy head that settled quickly. The head had some thin bubbles to it.

S: Smell is of malt and citrus zest, with some floral notes. Smells sweet and a little thin (but maybe I've been drinking too many DIPAs and my point of reference is skewed).

T: Good flavors here, with an overwhelming orange (or tangerine/ clementine) quality to it that I'm not used to in an IPA. This beer is to orange the way many IPAs are to grapefruit. A little floral/ spiciness on the finish. Too sweet for my liking, but only somewhat. I wonder if I didn't like it as much, only because I was expecting more traditional IPA flavors. I may have to go back to this and update my review at a later time.

M: Lower, thinner level of carbonation - I would have preferred a little more hop oiliness or carbonation for my own tastes.

OVERALL: Pretty good IPA that I would not mind drinking once, but I prefer my IPAs to be less sweet. I imagine this beer could grow on me, but it was certainly not what I was expecting at the time.

Four Play IPA Batch #3 from Stoudts Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.