Stoudt's Scarlet Lady ESB - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudt's Scarlet Lady ESBStoudt's Scarlet Lady ESB

good

good

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stoudt's Scarlet Lady ESB Alström Bros
fchicken

1.5/5  rDev -58.4%

04-15-2012 05:28:51 | More by fchicken
Borgs

Connecticut

1.93/5  rDev -46.5%

Appearance: Pours with a thin head that dissipates rather quickly, & a clear, shallow red color.

Smell: Smells caramelly, lightly toasty, & yeasty.

Taste: This beer is way more on the sweeter side than bitter. Extra Special Bitter?! I don't get it. It tastes like the brew wasn't finished.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, chewy.

Drinkability: Maybe this should have sat longer to mellow out or it should have been in the fermentor a bit longer. I don't think I'll be giving this another shot.

04-18-2010 15:35:54 | More by Borgs

Sovietfox

08-26-2012 02:21:19 | More by Sovietfox
samie85

2.15/5  rDev -40.4%

Best By 6/27/10. I'm a little worried going in as there was no hiss of carbonation escaping as I open the bottle.

A-Pours a dark brown with no head. I'm not sure what the deal is with the carbonation, but there doesn't appear to be any.

S-Smells of sweet toffee malt and caramel with some earthiness.

T-Caramel sweetness with a breadiness and a barely bitter finish.

M-Kind of terrible as there's no carbonation whatsoever. Thin side of medium bodied.

D-I was pretty excited as this was my first beer from Stoudts. I really like ESB's and was expecting good things, but the complete lack of carbonation is killing this beer for me. I'm hoping the other bottle I got of Stoudts is more impressive.

04-19-2010 00:38:46 | More by samie85
TheLongBeachBum

2.2/5  rDev -39.1%

Presentation: Standard 12 ounce bottle sealed with a black crown cap. The main label has colorful picture of a Scarlet Lady drinking ale from a horn. No strength listed but a Best Before 12/20/05 date is ink jet stenciled onto the top of the bottle neck.

Appearance: Dark copper, ruddy orange body, pellucid with a rising tan colored head that collapses quickly to leave a broken scum on the surface. Body is great in appearance but the lack of any head really destroys the presentation.

Nose: Toasted malts have a slight “baby sick” tone to them. Soiled aromas with some metallic flashes, smells like something awful from a Can. Urgh!!

Taste: I am still reeling from the off-putting aromas, but trying hard to differentiate the tastes as a stand alone mark. Sickly sweet roasted malts have caramel and soggy damp wet soiled hops. Rain sodden earth finishes with a plain toffee ending. Awful.

Mouthfeel: Sliding feel, chilled it seems reasonable, yet as it warms it morphs into a sickly mess. Sticky and cloying.

Drinkability: Off-putting, from the broken looks, I just “shit-my-pants” odors, the cheap Supermarket brand malty beverage flavors, and the sickly mouthfeel as it warms….this is one forgetful brew.

Overall: I will always try a new beer at least once, but I won’t be bothering with this one again.

09-18-2005 06:52:18 | More by TheLongBeachBum
Tilley4

Tennessee

2.42/5  rDev -33%

Picked up a single recently and poured into an Orval goblet to have with lunch today...

Pours a semi-hazy reddish orange with basically no head to speak of at all...

Perhaps a hint of toasted grains here but not much else... Hmmm.... No hops to speak of really...

A semi-sweet maltiness right up front which fades into.... Nothing? Very bland finish here has me wondering about the age on this one...

I probably need to revisit this one at some point as it wasn't at all impressive...

10-01-2010 18:10:32 | More by Tilley4
Franz4

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

12 oz bottle best by 8/9/11, poured into a pint glass

A- penny copper in color with a 1 finger head that settles quickly leaving a bit of lace suspended above the thin ring left on the surface.

S- nose has some toffee like characteristics, some muted hoppiness is present, and a little buttery toast. Not bad, but nothing stood out in this area.

T- Lots of what I believe is diacetyl. I believe on a good day this might be going for "biscuity" or something similar, but this isn't what I'm getting. They've achieved some balance as there's a bitterness that is balancing the pale malt, but I'm not impressed.

M- light bodied and light in carbonation.

O- This one didn't do it for me, and I'd have to say it's a below average brew, maybe I'm just missing something from the style, but I wasn't pleased with this one.

05-06-2011 00:49:16 | More by Franz4
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.58/5  rDev -28.5%

Stoudts Scarlet Lady ESB

On tap in a shaker pint.

See-thru brownish amber body with a minimal off-white head that soon becomes a patchy skim of foam. A little bit of lacing.

Aromas are nutty and crisp, fruity and moderately sweet, with a hint of herbal hops. Not a bad-tasting brew, although I would love to see the hops kicked up a notch. Toasted malt and nuttiness dominate the flavor profile up front, with some sweetness and a small sting of bitterness sneaking in right at the finish.

Overall impression: Somewhat lacking in hop presence, but goes down easy.

11-25-2009 15:31:10 | More by PDXHops
chilidog

2.6/5  rDev -28%

I had to step back from this ESB and wonder, is this a bitter at all? And according to the bottle its brewed in Fredrick, Maryland for this Pa. brewer. Whats up?
It pours a creamy copper amber with a slightly tan, well carbonated head that fades quick. Lace in spots at best. The aroma is malty sweet with hints of strawberry. The taste is sweet caramel, toffee with a thick over the top buttery toasted malt. I find little to no bitterness or hop to balance this beer. I find the drinkability hard for its just too sweet. My score--not inpressed by this Lady.

07-04-2004 19:26:02 | More by chilidog
Budro

Georgia

2.6/5  rDev -28%

My mother-in-law sent me on a beer run. She was throwing a party for my father-in-law's 60th birthday. "Get something for yourself, too," she said. I admire Stoudt's Fat Dog quite a bit, but it's been months since I've spotted any of their brews in Valdosta. When I saw their label again, I knew what I wanted for myself.

A: A two-finger head the color of cinnamon cream sits atop an amber body with deep red hues and the clarity of glass.

S: The sweet, malty nose is muted, but some distinct aromas emerge, evoking buttery caramel and hints of clove.

T: Disappointing. The bracing bitter front quickly fades, along with most of the flavor. There's a faint taste of spiced fruits underneath; apple notes are dominant. The finish is pleasantly sour, but again, the flavor is faint. There are lots of interesting flavors, but all of them feel watered-down.

M: Despite its creamy appearance, the head feels thin on the palate. The brew itself is thin and watery, especially as it warms. The carbonation barely registers.

D: This beer would go well with spicy food. It's so light that you won't fill up on it, and it's so unobtrusive that it won't interfere with the flavors on the plate.

I won't seek this one out again. I'm happy to have had the opportunity to try another brew from Stoudt's, but I found this one weak. I prefer a bolder ESB.

08-21-2007 02:00:15 | More by Budro
TheDoorman

2.65/5  rDev -26.6%

Dark amber translucent appearance with a quickly dissipating head. Aroma is dosage of floral hops with a hint of malt sweetness. Nothing too special. Palate is rather unimpressive. Some malt sweetness in the middle and a little hop bitterness, but nothing stands out at all. Very basic. Mouthfeel is light, effervesant and watery. Just a very sub-par beer all around. Reminds me of a macro attempting to make a micro. I won't be back for another.

Disclaimer: This is not a style I am well versed in, and I typically drink fairly big beers.

02-27-2009 01:23:28 | More by TheDoorman
thepitch

2.65/5  rDev -26.6%

I met the scarlett lady at the Stoudt's brewpub, and decided to take her home, based on apperances alone. She looked good (a nice coppery deep red) and clear, but the head was unmemorable.

She smelled clean, which I like, but without very much aroma at all. I guess it is better to have no smell than a bad one.

The scarlett lady's taste was completely inoffensive and almost non-existent. Her only redeeming quality was a faint and sweet aftertaste.

Let's just say I won't regret the one night stand, but I wouldn't take her home to mom.

03-14-2006 02:03:58 | More by thepitch
callmeclemens

2.7/5  rDev -25.2%

Order a bottle at a local bar and poured into a glass.

Upon pouring with no head, I checked the bottle for freshness date and none was present. Smelled very herbal slightly sweet with a hint of malt, and tasted mostly the same. Flavor was rather bland Herbals, malt and a hint of fruity bitterness, but not to much. As previously stated there was no head upon pouring, and no lacing whatsoever.

11-05-2010 15:46:09 | More by callmeclemens
DaggerEyes

2.7/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottle was stamped with a "Best Before 7/8/06" marking.

Scarlet Lady lived up to her name and poured a scarlet hue with sublte accents of ruby. A thin head rose to the surface but quickly disappated.

Some what hoppy on the nose with some sweet malty undertones and subtle scents of rasberries.

Some what sweet on the tounge with a bit of a bitter after taste, the taste is a bit muted and monochromatic, but the rasberry characterisitcs present in the aroma cary through to the taste.

A bit thin at first, but bubbles up in your mouth and becomes a bit chewier.

Nothing really to write home about, after sampling this beer again I can say I'll probobly never drink it again...

03-28-2006 00:59:27 | More by DaggerEyes

lupercmda

01-27-2013 03:52:37 | More by lupercmda
WoodBrew

2.8/5  rDev -22.4%

This was my first beer from Stroudts, saw the name on the menu and I said "what the hell, I'm in Johnstown kickin it easy". The beer has a red tint to it, but it could also be the hugh from the red mahogany bar. Razor thin head leaves a lot to be determined. It certainly can be session ale if nothing else is available. Don't get me wrong it is far superior to standard lite beers, but not your major micro-brews....hey an oxy-moron right there!

01-13-2011 23:56:58 | More by WoodBrew
OWSLEY069

2.8/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours an amber color with an off white head that goes away quickly. Aromas a small sweet malt presence and a small peppery hop. It has a small bitterness, sweet malty, and a bit earthy taste. Very clean aftertaste, just a small sweet malt presence lingers. Easy to drink, kind of hoping for more bitterness, but it is nice.

08-19-2007 16:19:59 | More by OWSLEY069
jneiswender

2.83/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured out of a 12 oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

Tan head the quickly dissolves. Brownish red gem color.

Nutty, toasted malt smell. Very little hop smell.

Very strong malt character. Just some hop bitterness thats left on the tongue.

Medium body. Fairly drinkable. Might not be the best ESB (weak on the hops).

12-28-2007 22:23:04 | More by jneiswender
changeup45

2.83/5  rDev -21.6%

This seems like a pretty weak ESB. Color is light brown, maybe some orange in there. Not much head or lacing. Sweet fruity aroma such as oranges or mango. This is an easy drinking beer with pretty good balance but it just seems a little bland. There's a fruity malt note with some faint bitter hops and a pretty clean finish but the whole thing just seems watered down a little. Overall it's OK but it's not a very good ESB.

08-26-2008 23:42:52 | More by changeup45
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.88/5  rDev -20.2%

served into a nonic glass from a 12oz brown long neck bottle with a crimped cap.

Clear,vibrant red color,2" thick slightly off-white head.some wisps of tiny bubbles stringing together tightly knited.Good retention with a fair amount of laced curtians down the glass.

A good malty aroma with sweet carmell,toasty and nutty.A pleasing fruityness,a nice and complex aroma.

A light carmell taste,astringent,grassy,candied tastes,friuty,slighty sour finishes tart with some citrus rind. The taste was a bit of a let down after the nice aromas.

Medium body,grainy,some sourness. Goes down fairly easy, just nothing to really make me want to drink more

02-07-2007 04:12:20 | More by jcdiflorio
Rifugium

2.93/5  rDev -18.8%

First had: on tap at Casey's, Newtown Square, PA

A decent ESB. Poured into a pint glass, a clear amber color with orange-copper highlights, and small bubbly head that dissipated rather quickly. Light aroma of biscuity malts and resinous hops, some sugar sweetness. Lightly toasted bready malts in the taste, caramel and nuts, easy-going pine bitterness, and a somewhat acrid aftertaste. Not really too flavorful, but not necessarily bad. Light-medium mouthfeel and easily drinkable for a basic beer.

06-29-2011 15:11:50 | More by Rifugium
Stoudt's Scarlet Lady ESB from Stoudts Brewing Co.