1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale)Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Gavage on 10-23-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,108 | Reviews: 746 | Show All Ratings:
B967ierhunter177

1.73/5  rDev -56.2%

This beer pours an orange-gold color with 1/8 inch head and lace lasting to the finish. The aroma was fruity with a bit of dough. The flavor has notes of grass, citrus, and a bit of caramel with a fairly bitter aftertaste that lasts too long. It's mouthfeel is medium. Stoudt's Double IPA is an ok beer, too bitter to be sessionable. It did go well with chili. Not recommended.

04-21-2011 00:25:05 | More by B967ierhunter177
ChadQuest

1.85/5  rDev -53.2%

pours a clear yellowish pale orange with a very nice head. smell is very interesting, i almost don't know what to say about it, it's really weird, it's kind of flowery, but there is this really big aroma of fruity candy, like starburst or something, it's weird and hard to nail down, kinda artificial smelling. Flavor is a weird combination of orange, sugary candy, and bitterness. mouthfeel is mid-range for the style with a low amount of carbination, just a bit of carb bite on the front and then not much left. Meh, i could skip these and not be bummed.

EDIT: after 2 hours i still have the wierdest orange candy flavor in my mouth, and it's awful.

07-23-2010 05:35:36 | More by ChadQuest
mrasskicktastic

1.95/5  rDev -50.6%

Appearance - Cloudy amber/mahogany color with a monster head that fades in minutes leaving a delicate ring of lace behind.

Smell - Caramel malt and piney hops. A nice odor.

Taste - Very sweet caramel malt, a strong vanilla character that stays through to the aftertaste, strong initial hop character that rounds off to a bitterness with the vanilla for the aftertaste. I really like the vanilla, but this beer is far, far, far too sweet for my tastes. The abv is masked, but under an oppressive sweetness. I don't even usually mind sweet beers like a lot of people, but this is undrinkable to me - the taste makes me cringe.

Mouthfeel - Moderately thick and frothy. Quite drying.

Drinkability - After the first sip, I didn't want to finish this one. At 10% abv too many of these would put you out of commission. Would clash with anything I can think of eating. I don't understand how everyone seems to love this beer.

I am sorely dissappointed with this beer. I heard so many good things and am finding the reality not to my liking at all.

08-10-2005 00:16:37 | More by mrasskicktastic
detlefchef

Wow, I was very surprised to see the ratings for this beer when I logged on. Certainly the mean seems to trend towards at least good for every beer on this site, but I expected this to be around a "B" at best. Maybe I got an off bottle, but what I tasted didn't seemed to be flawed in the manners I've typically tasted in cooked or mishandled beer. I'll investigate that further...

Because the beer I had was simply bad. It smelled flabby and overly malted and just backed that up with more, cloying flabby malt on the palate and finished with soapy hops. I tasted this a friend who didn't seem to mind it as much as I did but who agreed would certainly not seek it out again.

I didn't even finish the 4 oz pour I was given.

08-11-2010 13:35:07 | More by detlefchef
grover37

District of Columbia

2.17/5  rDev -45.1%

12oz bottle bought at State Line Liquors (DE) for about $2.50. Bottled on date of 8/4/10 (I think), so this one isn't that fresh at about 5 months.

Appearance: Slightly cloudy, orange or light amber color. Half an inch of head reduces to a thin white layer. Very little lacing that sticks around.

Aroma: Very sweet. Solvent and boozy aromas of strong caramel, crystal malts are prominent. Sweet oranges and grapefruit are what I get from the hops. Smells like an American Strong Ale more than a DIPA.

Taste: Boozy right off the bat. Flavorful but it doesn't hide the 10% ABV well. Very little perceived bitterness at the start, but this comes in a bit in the middle and end to temper the sweetness. The sweet booziness is the first thing you taste and the caramel flavor sticks around in the finish. The finish is sweet with a bit of citrus, but not enough for my preferences. Really too malty and not enough bitterness or fruity/citrusy hops. This might be a lot better if it were only 8 or 9% and a bit dryer.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation which doesn't hurt it. The caramel sweetness lingers which is not pleasant.

Drinkability: I wouldn't be able to drink more than a snifter of this; I'm glad I'm splitting the 12oz bottle actually. It's not a terrible DIPA, but not something I will seek out again. If I see it on draft, I'd like to try it fresh(er).

01-04-2011 03:22:50 | More by grover37
notalagerlugger

Indiana

2.23/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

This is a very malty sweet beer tastes more like an amber or brown. It is not true to the IPA style the sweet alcohol flavor dominates. Even for a DIPA it is syrup not much hop flavor. I would not buy this beer again.

A - good amber color
S - ok mostly sweet alcohol
T - sweet and boozy
M - thin light carbonation
D - low at 10% and too sweet and cloying

03-03-2011 23:19:05 | More by notalagerlugger
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.3/5  rDev -41.8%

Amber and dark orange colored pour, slight edge of head to it, but not too much. Aroma lacked hops. No born on date.

Big huge malt bomb. Tasted like an English Barleywine. I think there should be a hop presence to an ipa, much less a double ipa. Big alcohol presence, almost fusel like. Sweet malt flavor, caramel + alcohol = this beer. Needs more carbonation.

06-01-2011 19:59:54 | More by Beerandraiderfan
Kudashov

2.4/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

With the Stone Roses " All Across The Sands " on the Hi-Fi and being on a IPA bender lately . I took some time to review this brew . Poured into a pint glass this tawny , brassy looking brew is very nice to look at . Eggshell thin fingered head which did not last long . As for smell , there is none . Nothing comes to my mind . No grapefruit , pine , nothing citrusy / fruity at all . Over the weekend I had a few Ruinations . That stuff smells so good , never mind the taste . To me that is my fav . If Yankee Candle had a Ruination candle I would buy it and the car freshener too . As it goes down there is nothing that would want to make me buy it again . It is not bad , not at all . The flavor though is not there . Mouthfeel is thick , with again no flavor . With my cheeks getting red from the 10 ABV% there is a kick that is hidden so be careful .
I think this is the last time I will be anywhere near this brew again .

Bland , Boring , and Bleah

05-03-2007 18:35:43 | More by Kudashov
bpfishback

Maryland

2.4/5  rDev -39.2%

From a 12 oz bottle, bottled on 2/11/10 into a dfh snifter

a- A nice orange copper color with a big head that fades quickly.

s- First impression is of a wheat beer. I definitely get something reminiscent of bubble gum. WTF, where are the hops? I even opened a room temperature bottle to see if I could get some hops. Maybe, I got a whiff of some citrus but I dunno.

t- Overly sweet with no hoppy bitterness. Only good thing was that I could not tell it was 10%, maybe due to the over whelming sweetness.

m- Not bad. Drinkable mouth feel.

d- I drain poured it because I was expecting a DIPA which this is not. I gave it a 3 because it is drinkable but not in a DIPA way.

Overall, this is a terrible representation of a DIPA. Beers like this are why the west coast folks look down on east coast DIPA/IPAs. I will try and buy this again if I can find another newer bottling date in the future, hopefully there was something wrong with this 6 pack.

04-21-2010 02:07:15 | More by bpfishback
GRG1313

2.45/5  rDev -38%

Pours a medium crystal clear orange with a short, and fast white head.

Nose is assertive ripe fresh and pure assertive pineapple.

Mouthfeel is nicely creamy and rich and tastes full and bold.

Flavors follow nose and mouthfeel and are assertive, bold and distinctive. Unfortunately, there is an over riding sweet sugar/honey/syrup front end to the big malt which then goes to nice bitter lemon/grapefruit hops. However, the damage is done and the front end is just too almost sickeningly sweet.

This one is way out of balance although the sweet grapefruit finish is pleasant and the highlight of the beer. Just not worth drinking through the front end to get to the nice finish.

01-23-2010 07:12:19 | More by GRG1313
JoeyBeerBelly

2.48/5  rDev -37.2%

12oz bottle, served in a pint glass.

A - clear, yellow/orange color with a small off white head that thinned quickly to a light layer leaving very little lace.

S - sweet, boozey smell.

T - sweet, boozey taste.

M - medium bodied, low carbonation.

D - one bottle, was enough for me.

Final Note: I usually like dubs, but I didn't really like this one too much.

11-21-2007 02:56:17 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
nc41

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't know where to start with this brew. I'm not even sure I'd recognize it as a DIPA to begin with. Weirdly sweet and not in a good way. The nose is kinda boozy, maybe even a faint hint of Scotch. and the taste follows. No citrus, no pine kick, where's the hops? A little bitterness in the middle, but that's not even very good, and I poured out the 3d of the six I have. I've never done this before but the remaining offensive bottles will probably be drain pours as well. I'd take3 bottles of PBR for this stuff, ask before FRI or it's down the drain.

05-28-2009 01:24:24 | More by nc41
dfillius

2.58/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: 3 months old. Gentle pour to retain yeast leaves little ring of white head. Straw amber liquid is slightly hazy. I'd like better head or no sediment so I can pour more aggressively.
S: Sharp, boozy, caramel, brandy. Where are the hops? More like a barleywine or old ale. Nice, but I want a DIPA!
T: Interesting take on the style. No hoppiness is apparent. Some fruity esters, mostly strong malt. Tastes like an English barleywine. A decent one too. But again, I want a DIPA!
M: Flat. Slightly bitter. no DIPA bitterness. a tad warm. Syrupy.
D: Okay. I won't be buying again. Drinkable, but not thirst quenching and not satisfying. I wouldn't order another or buy 6.

06-05-2011 22:36:21 | More by dfillius
BARFLYB

2.63/5  rDev -33.4%

Had this on tap a bunch of times and recently for a review.

A- Stoudt's double has a hazy golden with some bronze highlights here and there. Not much of a foamage on this one just a off white sparse cap. Very weak lacing.

S- No doubt about, this was brewed in the east coast, that's apparent from the nose which is a sweet mess. This is going to be one malty MF'er. Big sweet malts, some alcohol, some perfume, light on the citrus, more of a floral type hop.

T- This does not remind me of a DIPA, more like a very tame english barleywine without all the complexities of a B-wine. A sweet cloying taste that is malt forward, the sweetness while big, just does not taste good. The alcohol does not help things in this matter. Perfume finished with small traces of grapefruit, no pine, no nothing, this stinks.

M- Sweet, rich, malty, boozy. The malt is on par for the style but the malt ingredients don't make it right. It's all that stays on the mouth along with booze. I could not even bring out more hop flavor with some swishing, what's wrong with this beer? Medium and abovve bodied with moderate carb.

D- Not for me, not again, not ever, it's been nice knowing ya.

05-16-2010 07:36:26 | More by BARFLYB
GreenWBush

Oregon

2.65/5  rDev -32.9%

Brewed in Pennsylvania. Shipped to Georgia, purchased in Atlanta. Brought back from Atlanta to Indiana for consumption. Now there's drinking local! Still, this is remarkably fresh, brewed less than two months ago. Thanks Stoudt's for marking the brewed-on date!

This beer's physical appearance is attractive, notably transparent and focused on clarity. Bronze with hints of red. Best retention and cling this side of a BSPA. Gorgeous.

I mentioned in my notes that this beer has a ' beery' flavor and not much more. Upon further whiffing, I get malty tones and just the slightest suggestion of hops underneath a honeyed tropical fruit juice impression. Boiling wort. Creamy; marshmellow, heavy cream, sugar, rainwater.

Taste is an abrupt invasion of sweetness. Dear god this is just too much - its as if someone forgot to put the hops in. Reminds me of AB's recent malt-liquor experiment, or a English barleywine done poorly. Layers upon layers of sweetness, and vaguely Belgian characteristics flutter in and out.

Mouthfeel is great actually, but that implies that you get it that far.

Sadly, a cloying drain pour.

04-18-2006 22:10:49 | More by GreenWBush
BlindPig

2.68/5  rDev -32.2%

A- 1/4" off white/ light tan head. Bit cloudy dark orange color.

S- Citrus hops with some other type in there also. Big malt back also. Maybe hint of alcohol. Some grapefruit, and a touch of orange maybe even VERY light lemon.

T-Kind of funky taste. Very orange and grapefruit taste with something weird in it also. The malt backbone comes through a bit too. The alcohol comes through also. Leaves a bit of warming in aftertaste. Leaves a weird tingle feeling on the tongue. This isn't a good example of a DIPA. Just as far as style goes not taste preference.

M-Medium/full body. Medium carbonation.

D- Weird taste. Not a good "DIPA". Highly doubt I will buy this again.

10-13-2006 03:29:09 | More by BlindPig
cindiwindi1025

2.68/5  rDev -32.2%

A- burnt orange in color, decent froth that sticks for a minute and fades to a tiny web

S- Citrus undertones, mild caramel

T- Taste was a disappointment for a DIPA. Tastes of burnt hazlenuts, burnt malts, very very low hops, mildly burnt citrus. looked for a born-on date to cancel out the stale beer taste, but didn't find any on the packaging or label

M- light mouthfeel, light to medium carbonation, ABV leaves an oily feeling and afertaste of burnt oil

D- this has a reasonably low drinkability due to the overwhelming burnt taste. typically with DIPA there isn't a huge overwhelming burnt malt taste, DIPA's provide a good pack of hop flavors to balance out the alcohol burn. This beer fails huge, it's not bad, just a disappointment for a DIPA. Will not purchase this one again.

07-03-2011 04:16:41 | More by cindiwindi1025
fromage

2.7/5  rDev -31.6%

Yuck, not a good DIPA. Like Fat Dog, way too much alcohol and too little other taste.

Looks ok coming out of the bottle. Not a whole lotta head but a peachy color...

Which matches the intense peach aroma I get, some plum, brown sugar, some citrus and grass, but not an intense hop presence. Reminiscent of DFA 90 so far...

Taste is overwhelmed by alcohol bite. Some peach remains, but hardly any hop bitterness to appropriately match the alcohol. Did I mention alcohol?

Mouthfeel is fine--medium.

Drinkability is not good. I've got 3 left and I'll probably space them out quite a bit.

02-06-2006 03:30:23 | More by fromage
waughbrew

2.7/5  rDev -31.6%

Bottle conditioned and 10%, no date. Bought from the brewery a couple of weeks ago.

Medium gold with a thin white head on top, good lacing. Dull, alcohol-coated orange juice. Thick cactus juice. Clay. Smells dangerous. Thick, sweet, coating. Poisoned candy. This dankness (autolysis?) really dominates this brew as it warms. Finish has alcohol warmth, but that weird clay taste and little else. This really does not have enough going on to warrant the whopping 10%. Disappointing from such a good brewery.

10-11-2006 23:46:55 | More by waughbrew
bierguru

A -
cloudy dark yellow but wouldnt say copper color inch of head which is white foamy looking and stays fairly well

S -
fisrt off i want to say the smell is remarkable very different then most double ipa's ive had
the smell is a mixture of of SWEET tropical fruits with hints of alcohol spice

T -
taste up front is hugely (if im allowed to use that word lol)sweet from those tropical fruit then some tartness from maybe from grapefruit then there is a bold but not to sharp hop character then there is a subtle taste of alcohol on the very back end HOWEVER as this beer warms (like 5 mins after i got the beer and i recieved it pretty fast)up the tropical sweetness fades a ton along with the hop taste and the alcohol becomes very prominent

M -
the beer is pretty juices for a double ipa good balance between sweet and bitter alcohol isnt an issue in the mouth feeling or really noticable

D -
NO great beer but i would have to chug it enjoy itand thats not for me what ruins it for me is how the alcohol taste takes over the beer its like im drinking a mellow vodka

10-23-2010 02:45:23 | More by bierguru
AdamBear

2.7/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-dark orange with a nice frothy cream colored head

S-a decent blend of hops, citrus, and weeds. It a decently balanced mix of the trio. There's a sour graininess to it as well. Medium to faded scent.

T-comes in with a decent blend of cream and herbs. There's just a slight bitterness. The after-taste is slightly matching with more of a grains flavor. Not loving this. It's an odd taste.

M-medium carbonation with a creamy finish

O-I don't know why but I'm not a fan of this at all. It's almost gross in a way, and it's sorta difficult to finish. I'd still give it another try in case this isn't a fresh bottle.

07-03-2012 13:37:25 | More by AdamBear
MuddyFeet

2.73/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dirty brown in color without any head whatsoever. Absolutely flat . No head. No bubbles. Looks like standing puddle water. Nose is very slight with floral and citrus tones.

Flavor is a bit heavy on the heat from the alcohol. Lots of citrus and lime flavors. Floral upheaval. It's like I am drinking the leftover water in a vase full of roses. Just simply flat in mouthfeel. Very heavy and thick. Lots of heat from the alcohol. Almost makes me think of it as being a cask ale it is so flat but I do not think that was the intention.

08-05-2006 02:14:54 | More by MuddyFeet
JDV

2.73/5  rDev -30.9%

An almost 6 month old bottle in trade from raverjames. Specifically requested a fresh bottle before trading and this is not what I had hoped for. Pours an orange amber color, cloudy, and with a nice lasting light beige head. Smell is mild and nondescript light, stale hops. Taste is bitter, grassy and alcoholic with some dull stale fruitiness and prominent malt flavor, but mostly alcoholic and unimpressive. No citrus notes or crisp hop flavors in this beer at all. Best case, a stale DIPA, and worst case, just another overly hot, unimpressively flavored DIPA. A notch above "drainpour", but still not worth finishing.

09-21-2008 20:37:41 | More by JDV
Scoobydank

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

L:bright white tiny little bubbles that disappear quickly. Bright clear orange color.
S:On first smell I pick up a bready bisquity. roasted nuts follow with a malty sweetness. An odd bubblegum grapefruit lingers.
T:That bubble gum grapefruit comes out immediately. Really pungent sweetness. A slight brown bisquit.
M:The mouth feel was a nice round softness.
D:Odd. That bubble gum flavor I pick up is slightly off putting. I am a huge fan of DIPA's and this one just did not do it for me

03-04-2008 00:43:42 | More by Scoobydank
Baron

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle, bottled on 7/19/08

A - Strong orange/ gold color, very clean pour with 1/2 in. head, large bubbles that linger for the duration of the beer.

S - Overy strong, bready malt, close to a malt extract aroma, and a yeasty nose as well, rather reminiscent of my first homebrew (not so good)

T - Thick, syrupy malts with an alcohol bite at the end, yeast and a surprisingly low bitter hop profile, in either the front or the back taste. Not characteristic of an IPA let alone double IPA at all. Rather disappointing.

M - A good round mouthfeel for the style, which, were there any discernible hop flavors, would have balanced the beer well. yet without the bitterness makes the beer too rich and thick for its own good.

D- Rather disappointing pick on a warm spring day looking for a strong hop bite, not true to the style and a rather expensive endeavor that failed to deliver. I truly hope its a function of the fact that it was bottled over 9 months ago and the hops had dissipated, yet unlikely. A shame.

04-29-2009 22:16:44 | More by Baron
Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stoudts Brewing Co.