Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale)Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Gavage on 10-23-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
brez8791

1.25/5  rDev -68.4%

03-02-2013 20:05:47 | More by brez8791
Llcruserll

1.61/5  rDev -59.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1

I did not see any dates on this bottle, but I got nothing in flavor other than a slight fruity double IPA mixed with a strong sour style beer taste. (Vinegar is what really hit my palette from this beer, I was not satisfied at all, especially for a double IPA, but the alcohol presence was definitely strong. I poored it out after two sips, and I have never purposely wasted a beer before. Maybe I will try another just to be sure it wasn't an old beer, and if I get a better taste the next time, I will certainly update my review.

07-04-2014 19:46:55 | More by Llcruserll
B967ierhunter177

1.73/5  rDev -56.2%

This beer pours an orange-gold color with 1/8 inch head and lace lasting to the finish. The aroma was fruity with a bit of dough. The flavor has notes of grass, citrus, and a bit of caramel with a fairly bitter aftertaste that lasts too long. It's mouthfeel is medium. Stoudt's Double IPA is an ok beer, too bitter to be sessionable. It did go well with chili. Not recommended.

04-21-2011 00:25:05 | More by B967ierhunter177
ChadQuest

1.85/5  rDev -53.2%

pours a clear yellowish pale orange with a very nice head. smell is very interesting, i almost don't know what to say about it, it's really weird, it's kind of flowery, but there is this really big aroma of fruity candy, like starburst or something, it's weird and hard to nail down, kinda artificial smelling. Flavor is a weird combination of orange, sugary candy, and bitterness. mouthfeel is mid-range for the style with a low amount of carbination, just a bit of carb bite on the front and then not much left. Meh, i could skip these and not be bummed.

EDIT: after 2 hours i still have the wierdest orange candy flavor in my mouth, and it's awful.

07-23-2010 05:35:36 | More by ChadQuest
mrasskicktastic

1.95/5  rDev -50.6%

Appearance - Cloudy amber/mahogany color with a monster head that fades in minutes leaving a delicate ring of lace behind.

Smell - Caramel malt and piney hops. A nice odor.

Taste - Very sweet caramel malt, a strong vanilla character that stays through to the aftertaste, strong initial hop character that rounds off to a bitterness with the vanilla for the aftertaste. I really like the vanilla, but this beer is far, far, far too sweet for my tastes. The abv is masked, but under an oppressive sweetness. I don't even usually mind sweet beers like a lot of people, but this is undrinkable to me - the taste makes me cringe.

Mouthfeel - Moderately thick and frothy. Quite drying.

Drinkability - After the first sip, I didn't want to finish this one. At 10% abv too many of these would put you out of commission. Would clash with anything I can think of eating. I don't understand how everyone seems to love this beer.

I am sorely dissappointed with this beer. I heard so many good things and am finding the reality not to my liking at all.

08-10-2005 00:16:37 | More by mrasskicktastic
JayMillerWild

02-19-2012 20:20:23 | More by JayMillerWild
detlefchef

Wow, I was very surprised to see the ratings for this beer when I logged on. Certainly the mean seems to trend towards at least good for every beer on this site, but I expected this to be around a "B" at best. Maybe I got an off bottle, but what I tasted didn't seemed to be flawed in the manners I've typically tasted in cooked or mishandled beer. I'll investigate that further...

Because the beer I had was simply bad. It smelled flabby and overly malted and just backed that up with more, cloying flabby malt on the palate and finished with soapy hops. I tasted this a friend who didn't seem to mind it as much as I did but who agreed would certainly not seek it out again.

I didn't even finish the 4 oz pour I was given.

08-11-2010 13:35:07 | More by detlefchef
pearljam118

10-16-2013 21:58:16 | More by pearljam118
grover37

District of Columbia

2.17/5  rDev -45.1%

12oz bottle bought at State Line Liquors (DE) for about $2.50. Bottled on date of 8/4/10 (I think), so this one isn't that fresh at about 5 months.

Appearance: Slightly cloudy, orange or light amber color. Half an inch of head reduces to a thin white layer. Very little lacing that sticks around.

Aroma: Very sweet. Solvent and boozy aromas of strong caramel, crystal malts are prominent. Sweet oranges and grapefruit are what I get from the hops. Smells like an American Strong Ale more than a DIPA.

Taste: Boozy right off the bat. Flavorful but it doesn't hide the 10% ABV well. Very little perceived bitterness at the start, but this comes in a bit in the middle and end to temper the sweetness. The sweet booziness is the first thing you taste and the caramel flavor sticks around in the finish. The finish is sweet with a bit of citrus, but not enough for my preferences. Really too malty and not enough bitterness or fruity/citrusy hops. This might be a lot better if it were only 8 or 9% and a bit dryer.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation which doesn't hurt it. The caramel sweetness lingers which is not pleasant.

Drinkability: I wouldn't be able to drink more than a snifter of this; I'm glad I'm splitting the 12oz bottle actually. It's not a terrible DIPA, but not something I will seek out again. If I see it on draft, I'd like to try it fresh(er).

01-04-2011 03:22:50 | More by grover37
notalagerlugger

Indiana

2.23/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

This is a very malty sweet beer tastes more like an amber or brown. It is not true to the IPA style the sweet alcohol flavor dominates. Even for a DIPA it is syrup not much hop flavor. I would not buy this beer again.

A - good amber color
S - ok mostly sweet alcohol
T - sweet and boozy

04-12-2014 13:42:56 | More by Noelito76
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.3/5  rDev -41.8%

Amber and dark orange colored pour, slight edge of head to it, but not too much. Aroma lacked hops. No born on date.

Big huge malt bomb. Tasted like an English Barleywine. I think there should be a hop presence to an ipa, much less a double ipa. Big alcohol presence, almost fusel like. Sweet malt flavor, caramel + alcohol = this beer. Needs more carbonation.

06-01-2011 19:59:54 | More by Beerandraiderfan
bpfishback

Maryland

2.4/5  rDev -39.2%

From a 12 oz bottle, bottled on 2/11/10 into a dfh snifter

a- A nice orange copper color with a big head that fades quickly.

s- First impression is of a wheat beer. I definitely get something reminiscent of bubble gum. WTF, where are the hops? I even opened a room temperature bottle to see if I could get some hops. Maybe, I got a whiff of some citrus but I dunno.

t- Overly sweet with no hoppy bitterness. Only good thing was that I could not tell it was 10%, maybe due to the over whelming sweetness.

m- Not bad. Drinkable mouth feel.

d- I drain poured it because I was expecting a DIPA which this is not. I gave it a 3 because it is drinkable but not in a DIPA way.

Overall, this is a terrible representation of a DIPA. Beers like this are why the west coast folks look down on east coast DIPA/IPAs. I will try and buy this again if I can find another newer bottling date in the future, hopefully there was something wrong with this 6 pack.

04-21-2010 02:07:15 | More by bpfishback
Kudashov

2.4/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

With the Stone Roses " All Across The Sands " on the Hi-Fi and being on a IPA bender lately . I took some time to review this brew . Poured into a pint glass this tawny , brassy looking brew is very nice to look at . Eggshell thin fingered head which did not last long . As for smell , there is none . Nothing comes to my mind . No grapefruit , pine , nothing citrusy / fruity at all . Over the weekend I had a few Ruinations . That stuff smells so good , never mind the taste . To me that is my fav . If Yankee Candle had a Ruination candle I would buy it and the car freshener too . As it goes down there is nothing that would want to make me buy it again . It is not bad , not at all . The flavor though is not there . Mouthfeel is thick , with again no flavor . With my cheeks getting red from the 10 ABV% there is a kick that is hidden so be careful .
I think this is the last time I will be anywhere near this brew again .

Bland , Boring , and Bleah

05-03-2007 18:35:43 | More by Kudashov
GRG1313

2.45/5  rDev -38%

Pours a medium crystal clear orange with a short, and fast white head.

Nose is assertive ripe fresh and pure assertive pineapple.

Mouthfeel is nicely creamy and rich and tastes full and bold.

Flavors follow nose and mouthfeel and are assertive, bold and distinctive. Unfortunately, there is an over riding sweet sugar/honey/syrup front end to the big malt which then goes to nice bitter lemon/grapefruit hops. However, the damage is done and the front end is just too almost sickeningly sweet.

This one is way out of balance although the sweet grapefruit finish is pleasant and the highlight of the beer. Just not worth drinking through the front end to get to the nice finish.

01-23-2010 07:12:19 | More by GRG1313
JoeyBeerBelly

2.48/5  rDev -37.2%

12oz bottle, served in a pint glass.

A - clear, yellow/orange color with a small off white head that thinned quickly to a light layer leaving very little lace.

S - sweet, boozey smell.

T - sweet, boozey taste.

M - medium bodied, low carbonation.

D - one bottle, was enough for me.

Final Note: I usually like dubs, but I didn't really like this one too much.

11-21-2007 02:56:17 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
nc41

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't know where to start with this brew. I'm not even sure I'd recognize it as a DIPA to begin with. Weirdly sweet and not in a good way. The nose is kinda boozy, maybe even a faint hint of Scotch. and the taste follows. No citrus, no pine kick, where's the hops? A little bitterness in the middle, but that's not even very good, and I poured out the 3d of the six I have. I've never done this before but the remaining offensive bottles will probably be drain pours as well. I'd take3 bottles of PBR for this stuff, ask before FRI or it's down the drain.

05-28-2009 01:24:24 | More by nc41

01-11-2012 21:00:37 | More by BHopp12
dfillius

2.58/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: 3 months old. Gentle pour to retain yeast leaves little ring of white head. Straw amber liquid is slightly hazy. I'd like better head or no sediment so I can pour more aggressively.
S: Sharp, boozy, caramel, brandy. Where are the hops? More like a barleywine or old ale. Nice, but I want a DIPA!
T: Interesting take on the style. No hoppiness is apparent. Some fruity esters, mostly strong malt. Tastes like an English barleywine. A decent one too. But again, I want a DIPA!
M: Flat. Slightly bitter. no DIPA bitterness. a tad warm. Syrupy.
D: Okay. I won't be buying again. Drinkable, but not thirst quenching and not satisfying. I wouldn't order another or buy 6.

06-05-2011 22:36:21 | More by dfillius
BARFLYB

2.63/5  rDev -33.4%

Had this on tap a bunch of times and recently for a review.

A- Stoudt's double has a hazy golden with some bronze highlights here and there. Not much of a foamage on this one just a off white sparse cap. Very weak lacing.

S- No doubt about, this was brewed in the east coast, that's apparent from the nose which is a sweet mess. This is going to be one malty MF'er. Big sweet malts, some alcohol, some perfume, light on the citrus, more of a floral type hop.

T- This does not remind me of a DIPA, more like a very tame english barleywine without all the complexities of a B-wine. A sweet cloying taste that is malt forward, the sweetness while big, just does not taste good. The alcohol does not help things in this matter. Perfume finished with small traces of grapefruit, no pine, no nothing, this stinks.

M- Sweet, rich, malty, boozy. The malt is on par for the style but the malt ingredients don't make it right. It's all that stays on the mouth along with booze. I could not even bring out more hop flavor with some swishing, what's wrong with this beer? Medium and abovve bodied with moderate carb.

D- Not for me, not again, not ever, it's been nice knowing ya.

05-16-2010 07:36:26 | More by BARFLYB
GreenWBush

Oregon

2.65/5  rDev -32.9%

Brewed in Pennsylvania. Shipped to Georgia, purchased in Atlanta. Brought back from Atlanta to Indiana for consumption. Now there's drinking local! Still, this is remarkably fresh, brewed less than two months ago. Thanks Stoudt's for marking the brewed-on date!

This beer's physical appearance is attractive, notably transparent and focused on clarity. Bronze with hints of red. Best retention and cling this side of a BSPA. Gorgeous.

I mentioned in my notes that this beer has a ' beery' flavor and not much more. Upon further whiffing, I get malty tones and just the slightest suggestion of hops underneath a honeyed tropical fruit juice impression. Boiling wort. Creamy; marshmellow, heavy cream, sugar, rainwater.

Taste is an abrupt invasion of sweetness. Dear god this is just too much - its as if someone forgot to put the hops in. Reminds me of AB's recent malt-liquor experiment, or a English barleywine done poorly. Layers upon layers of sweetness, and vaguely Belgian characteristics flutter in and out.

Mouthfeel is great actually, but that implies that you get it that far.

Sadly, a cloying drain pour.

04-18-2006 22:10:49 | More by GreenWBush
BlindPig

2.68/5  rDev -32.2%

A- 1/4" off white/ light tan head. Bit cloudy dark orange color.

S- Citrus hops with some other type in there also. Big malt back also. Maybe hint of alcohol. Some grapefruit, and a touch of orange maybe even VERY light lemon.

T-Kind of funky taste. Very orange and grapefruit taste with something weird in it also. The malt backbone comes through a bit too. The alcohol comes through also. Leaves a bit of warming in aftertaste. Leaves a weird tingle feeling on the tongue. This isn't a good example of a DIPA. Just as far as style goes not taste preference.

M-Medium/full body. Medium carbonation.

D- Weird taste. Not a good "DIPA". Highly doubt I will buy this again.

10-13-2006 03:29:09 | More by BlindPig
cindiwindi1025

2.68/5  rDev -32.2%

A- burnt orange in color, decent froth that sticks for a minute and fades to a tiny web

S- Citrus undertones, mild caramel

T- Taste was a disappointment for a DIPA. Tastes of burnt hazlenuts, burnt malts, very very low hops, mildly burnt citrus. looked for a born-on date to cancel out the stale beer taste, but didn't find any on the packaging or label

M- light mouthfeel, light to medium carbonation, ABV leaves an oily feeling and afertaste of burnt oil

D- this has a reasonably low drinkability due to the overwhelming burnt taste. typically with DIPA there isn't a huge overwhelming burnt malt taste, DIPA's provide a good pack of hop flavors to balance out the alcohol burn. This beer fails huge, it's not bad, just a disappointment for a DIPA. Will not purchase this one again.

07-03-2011 04:16:41 | More by cindiwindi1025
Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stoudts Brewing Co.