Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale)Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Gavage on 10-23-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 759 | Hads: 1,259
2.83/5  rDev -28%

Notes from July…

Slightly hazed liquid, coppery-dull bronze with some tawny highlights. Off-white head, at the apex there was only a half finger of foam. Quickly the bubbles faded to a thin, soapy cap. There was some subsequent spotty lacing. Overall, the appearance is respectable but nothing fantastic.

The nose doesn’t really jump out of my glass like I’d expect a DIPA to do. I don’t get any citrusy/piney notes; in fact the hops are secondary to a weird (but enjoyable) orange jelly smell. Peppery spiciness follows quickly (almost like Duvel) along with more fruitiness (oranges, peaches, sweetened grapefruit). The alcohol is hidden. I detect no signs of malt. WTF, yet another DIPA that fails to deliver even a hint of malt? Hell, there isn’t even hoppy goodness hiding it! Moderately low potency, I’m not too thrilled with the nose. It smells okay, I mean, it is not offensive but I’m not impressed either. Maybe the palate will be better but that is totally based on blind hope.

The palate is bitter. Whew! That said, the bitterness is not really attached to any hop flavors. This is one orangey beer. Orange rinds with pith soaked in vodka. Yeah, I taste the alcohol (I sure didn’t smell it). The alcohol is far from hidden in the palate. Warm sugary finish… where is the malt? Where is the hop profile? Peppery. Medicinal. The palate is so overwhelmingly fruity and alcoholic I am bored. I love hoppy beers but I find the bitterness here very unpleasant. Raw. Hot. Aggressive. And totally misdirected, this beer is cross between Rogue Imperial Pilsner, a knock-off Duvel, and hop infused vodka. This is one of the few DIPAs that have really failed to impress me at all.

Medium in body, sloppy syrupy mouthfeel, sweet aftertaste with lingering heat; low but natural carbonation. The mouthfeel is adequate.

I’ll finish my glass but I’m not doing so with much of a smile. I really don’t care much for this beer. While it has grown on me I’m still not going to have positive memories. Maybe I like it now because the 10% abv has soaked my brain? Whatever the case, I need to thank RedHaze for the bottle!

2.84/5  rDev -27.7%

A -
cloudy dark yellow but wouldnt say copper color inch of head which is white foamy looking and stays fairly well

S -
fisrt off i want to say the smell is remarkable very different then most double ipa's ive had
the smell is a mixture of of SWEET tropical fruits with hints of alcohol spice

T -
taste up front is hugely (if im allowed to use that word lol)sweet from those tropical fruit then some tartness from maybe from grapefruit then there is a bold but not to sharp hop character then there is a subtle taste of alcohol on the very back end HOWEVER as this beer warms (like 5 mins after i got the beer and i recieved it pretty fast)up the tropical sweetness fades a ton along with the hop taste and the alcohol becomes very prominent

M -
the beer is pretty juices for a double ipa good balance between sweet and bitter alcohol isnt an issue in the mouth feeling or really noticable

D -
NO great beer but i would have to chug it enjoy itand thats not for me what ruins it for me is how the alcohol taste takes over the beer its like im drinking a mellow vodka

2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

Got to try this one with newtonty; we cracked it at my Texas Hold 'Em/IPA party last night. A big ol' pair of elephants greet me on the label of this beer. I wonder why there's elephants on there, is it like goats with bock beers? Who knows... (Probably someone on BA!)

Appearance: 12 oz bottle with no freshness date. I dropped this one into a Samuel Smith's Imperial pint glass at about 45 degrees. She pours a mildly cloudy, dark amber at the top with an orangish bottom. I am greeted with a light tan 1/8 inch head. After the initial pour, there's only a couple fizzes coming up to the top and the head retains nicely.
Smell: Surprisingly, very sweet malts, and light yeast. This one isn't going to be a hop-bomb.

Taste: Heavily loaded, super-sweet malts. The aftertaste was a waxy, bitter and almost an apricot mix. Where's the pounding of hops? For that matter, where's the hops? After the drink was, I detect light amounts of pineapple-like hops. Not a whole lot though.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied brew with ample carbonation.

Drinkability: I don't think I would have called this a Double IPA, but it was definitely a decent beer overall. I love me some strong hops and expected that with a DIPA (especially from a quality craft brewer like Stoudt's), but I was disappointed. It left me craving more hops. Crap, guess I need to grab another beer :)

2.89/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pretty disappointed with this one. Have enjoyed various Stoudt's offerings in the past but this had a heavy, sour taste that not only wasn't enjoyable, but doesn't seem to fit the style very well at all.

2.9/5  rDev -26.2%

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Cloudy orange colored brew which created a quarter inch of fluffy head and deep, yeasty swirls. Nearly opaque, and overall looks very nice.

S - Very floral hop smell with a slight bit of alcohol tinge and some very strong citrus notes, mostly grapefruit. Quite pleasant.

T - Pretty brutal, has a sharp perfume hop bite, but neither that nor the citrus flavors can drown out the overpowering alcohol flavor. It feels like rubbing alcohol in my mouth. I've had some liquors that were easier on the tongue.

M - Medium to full bodied with good carbonation and no residue, although it is rough on the palate and has a slight burn in the aftertaste.

D - Not sure about this one. There are some good qualities to it, but overall it's just not for me. I'll have to fight to finish this one, and I'd think another would be out of the question. I may give it another try sometime in the future, but not anytime soon.

2.9/5  rDev -26.2%

I was excited to drink this beer as I love DIPA's. I was not impressed at all. It looked the same as most Imperial or Double IPA's amber/orange with a puffy white head that sticks around. It smells very sweet, hoppy, grapefruit.

The taste was not very good to say the least. Slighty spicy, very sweet, sharp alcohol flavor. The aftertaste of alcohol was VERY strong. This is not a beer for the faint of heart. Stoudt's should have done a better job hiding the booziness of this beer. The mouthfeel was great though, oily, hoppy, slick on the tongue.

Dogfish Head's 90 minute is the best DIPA I have ever had and I will continue to try new ones until I find a beer I like half as much in the style. This is not it... Not Stoudt's best effort.

2.92/5  rDev -25.7%

On-tap at Prime 16 into a 3/4 pint glass.

A: Clear pale amber body with a finger of fine white foam head. Average retention and lace. Not bad.

S: Nice citrus and pine hops up front with a solid caramel malt backbone. Pretty nice.

T: Starts out hoppy, but quickly transitions into over-sweet malt before a potently alcoholic finish. Too sweet, too hot, not good.

M: Thick and sticky with moderate carbonation.

D: Cloying and boozy. I shan't have another.

Notes: This one has potential with a tasty hop profile, but but the hops just can't stand up to the overwhelming sweetness and booze. There are just too many great DIPAs to spend money on this one.

2.96/5  rDev -24.7%

Served in a 16oz pub glass at about 40*F from a bottle.

Appearance: Orange-y, golden, coppery appearance. Very pleasant. Mildly to moderately cloudy. That’s OK. Lots of good beers out there are unfiltered. I have a preference for crystal clear beers, but I did not subtract for cloudy appearance. One to two finger head barely off-white and loose. Head disappeared quickly but left an attractive lacing. Not highly carbonated but certainly enough. As it warmed it cleared up.

Smell: Right away I picked up malty. Also got a clear sense of yeast in this aroma. There is no traditional big hop smell like I expected from a DIPA. A little disappointed that I did not get that 'punch in the nose' I was looking for. If you search hard you may find a little citrus and maybe a little biscuit-y, but they are well hidden by the malt and yeast smells. There is, oddly enough, a faint sourdough smell to it. Almost a Trappist/Belgian smell here.

Taste: The taste here is pretty consistent with the smell. Lots of malt sweetness and yeast. There is, however, a small presence of hop flavor. It is not on par with some of the more popular DIPA's as far as hop bite or bittering. Not a bad taste if you like malty beers. There is a warm alcohol presence up front that is more obvious as it goes down; but is not unpleasant at all.

Mouthfeel: There is not much here that is light. This is a medium-heavy body that is almost chewy. The sweet aftertaste is a little lingering but not all bad. There is no bitter hop linger that I was looking for.

Overall: This is not a bad beer but the lovers of big, bitter, hoppy DIPA's will be sorely disappointed. It is not a very dry beer.

2.96/5  rDev -24.7%

…..a wandering foamy mushroom laden crown cap settles like a flying carpet coming into land amongst a quiet English grove full of Citrus sinensis trees……the Elephas maximus indicus on the label of the bottle has me thinking…The Elephant Man…..the mystic Victorian freak circus meanders in my mind as the cap firmly lays its surface like a smooth moroccan cloth… lays thick like an Axminster pile atop the body….the body is……the circus music from The Elephant Man plays in my mind as mad laughing black & white faces from the film assault me...nightmares return…….it looks like Scotlands other drink, Irn-Bru, is this made in Scotland from Girr-da’s??..….I ponder this conundrum…….as I watch the layers of sticky spunky froth rim the sides of the glass vestibule pass by….only a good Zuffle could remove them……I continue to fall headlong into the clear autumnal colored body….I fight to breathe……a strikingly bitter-sweet nasal passage has a Soda-like sugary orangeness, it feels like I have been slapped by a very short man with extremely long arms….each with its own massive clown like wobbly hand…..formed from inflated orange rubber gloves… hits the nose sharper than a talkative Comedian on Speed….at an Acid Convention….drop this one like a tab and the Lysergic Acid Diethylamide Satsuma’s ripen in your widening nostrils……..peeling the thick dry yet tangy skin away, I keep my eyes peeled too……now they are dilated widely…..all the time allowing to me to play with my Citrus reticulata whilst watching the flying orange Elephants now peel off the 12 ounce bottle label and dive bomb me……ha, they will soon fear my orange mouse……but soon the coppery orange hue lays uneasily against the white flesh, it catches the back of the mouth like stray pubes from a ginger Minge……morose yet vibrant alcohol, wild like a drunken carrot-topped Gaelic mad-man, it is far from easily forgotten, “Wot the feck you lercking at?” it wants to fight…..but I’m fading…..the Mandarin sunset strakes the Kumquat oily hops and shockingly vibrant Tangerine… it the fruit?….or Pages masterpiece, Song #7 from Led Zep 3…….the latter appeals more….seemingly more hidden messages than the classic text from Jeanette Winterson, Oranges are not the only Fruit….sadly they seem to be here…..

.…surrealistically Half, rather than Double…….tiz a mysterious drug-induced Orange pith ale that reminds me more of my ribbed for pleasure Chechnian crotchless jockeys….rather than an D-IPA…..or am I tripping again…….

2.96/5  rDev -24.7%

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - A beautiful fiery reddish orange color with a two finger foamy white head. A great look overall in the snifter. Leaves a bit of lacing on the glass. I really can;t get over the color, it's awesome.

S - A nice mix of pine and citrus hops on the nose. Notnhing earth shattering as far as a super hop bomb for a DIPA but nice to sniff overall.

T - Wow what a nose dive here. The initial taste is actually nothing but sweet malt. Then the hops come in to beat it back a little but that sweetness seems to be too much. Not very balanced. Just doesn't taste like much of an IPA and the sweetnes is a bit overbearing.

M - A fairly heavy mouthfeel with all the sweetness. A bit oily and slick on the tongue.

D - After a few more sips this beer really is barely drinkable. That sweetness is way out of whack and overall this is not a good example of the style. This beer is GREAT eye candy, but not what I'm looking for in the style.

Notes: This really just seems like a miss by Stoudt's. A great looking beer with an inviting aroma. The taste just falls flat though. Oh well, they can't all be nectar of the gods.

2.97/5  rDev -24.4%

Dark gold in color with a light foam head and faint prickle. Sweeter and maltier nose than I anticipated for a Double IPA. Hoppy attack and flavor. The hops grows, peaks and dissipates but leaves a sweet and hoppy aftertaste. I didn't read that this was bottle conditioned until after I had poured and I tried to overlook the bits of yeast in the beer when I was rating the appearance but still it was just "alright." A pretty average beer for me.

2.98/5  rDev -24.2%

Thanks to Northertimber for this one!

Wow, body is a pretty burnt amber color ... very nice. Head is big like it belongs to Tito Ortiz.

Hmmm. I have issues with the nose. Does it smell good? Yes. Does it smell like a double IPA? Not at all. The malt is seriously huge and the hops never show up in the ways we expect them to for a double IPA. There's no grapefruit, no pine. Imagine smelling a dried orange coated in sugar ... that's all the hops we get. Just orange and tangerine and that's all. This actually reminds me a lot of Double Bastard ....

Taste is exactly the same way. Nope, this is deinitely NOT an IPA or even double IPA. I love that Stoudt's is giving us a taste of an IPA sans pine and grapefruit but this just doesn't taste like an IPA. If I want a hops fix I would never reach for this beer. Does it taste good though? No, it's delicious ... too bad it's delicious in all the ways an IPA shouldn't be.

I like this a lot, and would definitely buy it if it was sold near me, but not if I was in the mood for an IPA.

12oz bottle poured into an alt glass.

Pours a cloudy amber/brown with no head at all. Nose is very sweet, slightly hoppy. Lots of syrup notes.

Taste is also sweet, not very hoppy/bitter Somewhat sharp and low carbonation. It's not bad but really tame for an IIPA.

Appearance - Clear (for the first pour at least) gold with an inch of thick foam.

Smell - Sweet pale malts and alcohol, not much of a hop aroma. Very mild.

Taste - Mild in both hop and malt flavors. Very boozy. A bit grassy and honey-like with mellow resiny bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with soft carbonation.

Notes - A decent DIPA, but the high alcohol content drowns out the flavors quite a bit.

Light transparent amber with a small white head. Carbonation apparent in the body. Aroma unexpectedly fruit forward. Strawberries come to mind. Malty. Alcohol esters as well. Palate brings out the hops, but they are not terribly flavorful. Bitterness is fairly strong, but not matched in taste. Alcohol is noticeable. The feel is light and unremarkable. No oily, resiny quality. This is just a bitter beer, with little more to say about it. Unbalanced. Not much flavor actually.

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

Tasting for the first time I was sort of impressed. Yeah, there was alcohol in this beer but the flavors were relatively in balance. Right in the middle, though, there was a chemical somthing or other that was fairly disturbing. Old keg, bad line? Hard to believe this could occur at the source. Shouldda had another Pils.

12 oz bottle.

It pours a light orangeish gold with a fluffy white head. It leaves some decent lacing as it recedes.

The smell is like pineapple candy. Not much pine or citrus.

The flavor is super, super sweet. Low bitterness, cloing sweetness. Big pineapple and tropical flavors, caramel, and sugar.

Not what I am looking for in a DIPA.

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured from a bottle into a Tulip.

A - Beer pours a transparent orangish color with and eggshell head a a good bit of lacing.

S - Hoppy. Citris is the main suspect here. Despite what a few others have said, I'm not getting any pine. It also smells very sweet at the same time. Interesting on the nose, this beer.

T - The citris hops flood the mouth initially with a fair amount of vigor. Soon after, the sweetness on the nose comes across, but no in a way that I like a lot. It seems a bit cloying.

M - Full bodied with a nice amount of carbonation.

D - High abv and cloying sweetness hurt this one a bit.

12 oz bottle from akorsak

A: Pours a clouded (bottle conditioned) orange/copper, with minimal head and decent lacing.

S: Somewhat aggressive hop profile, overpowered by sweet malt.

T: Boozy, too sweet. Not very balanced, high malt sweetness.

M: Thick and somewhat syrupy, high carbonation.

D: Not great. Sweetness and booziness lead to no more than 1 at a time. Not one of the better DIPA's out there.

*Review taken from notes*

A: Paler golden appearance with cream colored head.

S: A bit of citrus / bit of floral. Malty. Not as hoppy as I'd like, and what's there is stinging my nostrils.

T: Bitter with very little flavor. Boozy. The alcohol is overwhelming the flavor. The taste did get better the longer the beer sat. Might have been too cold to begin with.

M: A bit syrupy -- not what I like. Heavy body.

O: My first impression of this beer was bad. Second impression was a bit better. But, there's very little flavor. Average Imperial IPA, I think.

3.04/5  rDev -22.6%

Hazy golden color. Big lumpy head that fades quickly but leaves behind clumpy sticky lacing. The appearance give me high expectations that are quickly dashed with the first intake of smell. Smell is all sweetness. Where is the hops? Taste is also of an overpowering sweetness with no hops bitterness to add some balance. It is just too candy sweet. Having said that it is not a terrilbe beer, it just dosn't have the hops character that i would expect in a double ipa. Mouthfeel is pretty chewy. There is a faint bitterness in the aftertaste but it is too little too late. Drinkablility really surfers for the total lack of balance.

3.05/5  rDev -22.4%

12oz bottle, poured into tulip pint. Bottled 1/5/11.

A: Pours a mostly-clear amber gold, less than one finger head with no lacing.

S: Orange and lemon dominate here; lots of citrus hops overall. Caramel malts provide a sweet backbone, along with a good deal of ethanol.

T: Caramel, biscuits, and the aforementioned citrus hops are all very present here. Quite a bit of alcohol makes this beer's flavor slightly less enjoyable, especially when compared to the best beers from this style that hide the flavor entirely.

M: Smooth and medium-bodied, light carbonation. Warm mouthfeel from the alcohol.

D: The alcohol marks this down a bit, and the taste isn't great enough to make this one that I would particularly want to return to.

3.06/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Amber orange, with a slightly off white head. The head is really sticking around.

S: Not quite as hoppy as I would have assumed. The hops that I pick up are floral and grassy. A slight caramel sweetness.

T: There are the hops. Floral, with a good bit of sweetness. carmel with a bit of booze in there. Finish is dry and clean. Not the big beer I was expecting, but maybe that's good.

M: A little high on the carbonation. Thinner than I would expect, fairly dry finish.

D: Good, but not the big beer I thought it would be. Maybe that is a good sign, and it is really well balanced... I was still expecting more, and from other DIPA's I have had this one falls a little short.

3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

A: Pours a caramel color with a foamy head and a column of bubbles that rises steadily from the bottom throughout the course of the drink.. Lots of thick, sticky lacing on the glass.

S: Aromas of toffee with fruity esters. This actually doesn't smell very vegetal or hoppy like most DIPA's.

T: Well-balanced with a flavor that briefly reminds me of Bigfoot, that is, until the intense alcoholic astringency sets in.

M: Feels a bit on the lighter side for a beer of its alcoholic might. A bit fizzier than most as well.

D: Meh. Drinkable, but not very good when compared to others in the style.

3.09/5  rDev -21.4%

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange with a fluffy white head that retains fairly well and coats the glass with lacing.

The aroma is spicy, piney hops with some melon and alcohol.

The flavor is sweet sugary melon initially with a subdued spicy bitterness. I don't really care for the balance of the sweetness and spiciness. As I drink more, it collides into one big bland mess. There are some notes of alcohol in the finish. It is medium bodied and kind of watery but sticky.

Overall, a pretty mediocre DIPA and a pretty big disappointment. The sweetness far outweighs the bitterness. I prefer my DIPAs bitter. This reminded me a bit of Avery's 11 DIPA.

Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stoudts Brewing Co.