Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale)Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Gavage on 10-23-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

A - Hazy copper orange with thin off white head. Decent amount of lacing clinging to the sides.

S - Strong spicy, peppery hop aroma followed by a sweet caramel maltiness.

T - Toffee and butterscotch maltiness up front with a spicy orange hop ending. Hint of alcohol on the finish.

M - Medium body. Slightly slick.

D - Well balanced but not as hoppy as other double IPA's I enjoy. Overall a decent beer.

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A cloudy amber/light brown beer. Has a small creamy off white head with good lace. There is a rich citrusy grapefruit hop aroma with some hints of sweet malt wandering about in the background. The taste starts with a quick sharp jolt of citrusy hop bitterness. Followed by a smooth balanced malt character in the middle and a nice dry finish. Then the tummy warming starts.

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bottle poured into a pint glass

A: glowing cloudy orange body with a dull white head. tiny little bubbles, look super soft and luscious. spots littered on the glass as I drain the beer.

S: fresh green wet hops, some sugar, light citric acidity

T: hits creamy and soft with a little sugar and tingly hops. Orange, lemons, grapefruit, and loads of butter. sugar dries and the hops take back over. lots of malt and grainy feel and taste. finishes dry and lingering. Really nice.

M/D: Super creamy mouthfeel with great carbo level. viscouse, luscious, coats the mouth and begs for another sip. i can just put this back so easy for such a flavorful and high alcohol beer. awesome, right on stoudts!

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance: Clear straw copper colored ale. Off-white rocky head with good retention.

Aroma: Strong hop aroma, not too citrusy. Seems to lean toward hoppy spicyness, notes of pepper. The sweetness seems to balance well with the hop aromas.

Taste: This one is fairly balanced, but it's not as hoppy as I was expecting from the smell. There is a bit of strong alcohol kick coming through near the end of the swallow. The flavors are a bit out of the norm from what I usually find in double IPAs. Mouthfeel is full.

Notes: Not my favorite double IPA. But it is drinkable. The alcohol content seems a bit more noticable as I get closer to the bottom of the pint glass.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

About a month back, I was told by the very helpful and quite friendly owner of Hollingshead that this would likely be the last time I would be able to buy this in California. Apparently those thousands of miles in between this coast and Pennsylvania put it Stoudt’s beers at a disadvantage in the expansive California market in regard to price. He also implied that the bottle’s contents were even better than the contents of the growler I just had him fill: Russian River’s Pliny the Younger – possibly best beer I’ve ever had and easily the best hoppy beer I’ve ever known. Is this possible?

I saved the wee 12 ounce until I finished the glorious Younger nectar. With that all gone and freshly on mind, I took up the taste test. I took a quick look at the bottle, nearly 3 dollars for the 12 ounces – there was a freshness date on the side but I couldn’t make any of the numbers out. I opened it up and poured it into my snifter. It had a stark, cloudy orange color with a finger head. The hop clobbering aroma was FAR less than I craved since the Younger had left me. There were hops there but also roasty malts and sweetness. The taste was very fueled with alcohol, at least initially. It let up and had some pine hops and the roasty malts. The sweetness in the background added a nice kick and it got better as it went along.

I could have easily polished off another one, though that now seems impossible. Sorry Mr. Hollingshead, the growler was better.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

It's part two of my way too late at night Pennsylvania Hop Wallop/Stoudt's 2IPA face-off. This one pours a rich amber with a generous amount of yeast and sediment with a frothy white head. The head retention is great. The nose is filled with grapefruit, orange, pineapple, peach, and pine. I can see why some people might not like this (although I don't understand it) since it's cloudy, yeasty and it hits you with a gritty bust of hops, but I really dig this stuff. It starts out with citrusy hops and sweet caramel malts and it finishes with piney, but still somewhat citrusy, mainly grapefruit, bitterness. The mouthfeel is very smooth, but very lively at the same time and they get an "E" for effort for trying to hide the alcohol. This is go-od. It was too expensive to purchase regularly when I can get several amazing California 2IPA's cheaper, but considering the fact that we can still get Shipyard beers, it's a shame that I won't get to drink anymore of this for a longtime, if ever.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Oustanding head with nice lacing introduces this cloudy, medium gold brew. Smell was a "super hop" infusion of floral hops with subtle yeasty undertones. If you love hops, this is a must try. The hop presence remained throughout, with a suprisingly understated alcohol presence (suprising for a 10 abv). Mouthfeel was full and somewhat chewy. The drinkability was extremely smooth for the high abv.

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

This offering from a fine brewery poured with a creamy, consistent, two-fingered head and a hazy orangey gold color. The nose is potent, as you don't have to get too close to smell. Its fresh and biscuity, also exuding a some pale citrus, but not anywhere near as highly hopped as I expected. The body is medium, but pushing on the edge of heavy. There's some fresh grapefruity hops, and definitely a creamy malt balancing presence that attempts to mask the high alcohol presence, but fails. The hops are surely subdued for a double. It finishes with a candied apple sweetness and somewhat acidic grapefruit edge. You can just feel the alcohol seeping through. It seems like it could have been more carefully made as it exudes more barley wine characteristics than a double IPA.

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

Perspicuous pumpkin with burnished amber edges. The pastel orange head is on the small side, so I guess the ABV won the battle against the hop oils. It's thickly creamy and nicely persistent, though, and looks good in contrast to the color of the beer. A modest amount of lace isn't a big surprise.

The nose, while good, isn't as hoppy as I'd hoped it would be. Double IPA smells caramel malty and orange fruity, but I can tell that it won't be a resinous hop bomb. Not a trace of alcohol greets my nose; an amazing feat since the ABV is in the double digits.

The flavor is a member of the caramel malty, non-brilliantly hoppy school of DIPAs. In fact, if blinded, I'd have said 'barleywine' with guesses one, two and three. A prodigious pale and caramel maltiness dominates, providing generous amounts of toffee and butterscotch. The amount of sticky sweetness is just right; any more would be too much and would enter the realm of cloying.

What hoppiness is present is noted as orange fruit and a lingering, slightly puckery bitterness that sneaks in on the finish and counters the malt quite effectively. Better late than never. The flavor is good, it just isn't DIPA good. The alcohol adds rather than detracts. I'm still impressed at the relatively refined nature of this 10.0% beast.

The mouthfeel is well done. It's somewhere in that netherworld between medium and full and is infinitely smooth. I like it more and more as the beer warms. Bubbles provide interest and lift, but don't intrude.

Stoudt's Double IPA is not the stuff of dreams for those hopheads among us, but it is good beer that is best enjoyed cool rather than cold and in sips rather than in gulps. While I'm disappointed that my ever-present 'hop jones' wasn't satisfied, I'm pleased at the beer that Stoudt's has chosen to brew. I'd gratefully add a sixer or two to my cellar if I had access.

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Beautiful two finger head lingers forever. Gorgeous color, what is expected of a DIPA
S-Floral notes and hops, along with a whiff of alcohol.
T-Lacked the hop character I expected of a DIPA. Also, alcohol is not hidden well, and is easily distinguishable. Still an excellent beer, but not as rich as a Ruination.
M-Well carbonated, nothing truly special, but Stoudt's got it right.
D-The alcohol makes this a tough one to finish, I couldn't see myself having more than one or two in a night.

A great beer, but not up to par with the other greats. DIPA's in general have a somewhat "great beer" reputation, and this one falls just short.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

12oz bottle poured dark copper with very nice rocky head and leaves plenty of lacing. Smell is more malt than hops, but still has a spicy hop smell. Has a slight Belgian yeast smell. The taste is a good sweet malt with a very big alcohol burn. I can't tell if the bitternes is hops or alcohol. This is not a very hoppy DIPA IMO. Alcohol burn last for a while. The mouthfeel is medium and nice. Drinkability suffers from the strong alcohol burn.

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Nice orange-golden color. White head, doesn't stick around much though. The aroma is hard and heavy on malt, along with some spicy dried fruit aromas like raisin and perhaps some piney hops. The flavor is good, strong and sweet with a very good hop flavor profile but less bitterness. Which is good because the beer just misses having that 'cough syrup' flavor that happens when a beer is too sweet and bitter. There's a strong alcohol presence here, and its very tingly on the tongue as well. Tasty, pretty blasted strong though. Back before people talked about double IPAs I'd have classified this (yeah I do that alot...sorry...) as a barleywine. it reminds me of Old Nick a little, although I haven't had that in years.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Poured a very cloudy orange color, head faded very quickly, lots of sediment floating around.

S: Nice balance of malt and hops with a mixed aroma of citrus, pine, and caramel.

T: First couple of sips all I can taste is hops with barely any malt present, but not the strong hoppiness you usually associate with a DIPA. I let the beer warm for a couple of minutes and the hops began to blend with the malt to give it a nice sweet taste, and the alcohol started to come through in massive quanties.

M: Smooth full bodied beer with good carbonation on the tongue even though I mentioned little to no head. Alcohol left a nice tingling sensation on my tongue.

D: I think that this beer is very drinkable, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy this.

2.7/5  rDev -31.6%

Yuck, not a good DIPA. Like Fat Dog, way too much alcohol and too little other taste.

Looks ok coming out of the bottle. Not a whole lotta head but a peachy color...

Which matches the intense peach aroma I get, some plum, brown sugar, some citrus and grass, but not an intense hop presence. Reminiscent of DFA 90 so far...

Taste is overwhelmed by alcohol bite. Some peach remains, but hardly any hop bitterness to appropriately match the alcohol. Did I mention alcohol?

Mouthfeel is fine--medium.

Drinkability is not good. I've got 3 left and I'll probably space them out quite a bit.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Cloudy copper colored with plenty of light tan fine bubble head. Plenty of lacing.

S - Aroma is of pine and grapefruit, some mown hay.

T - Plenty of sweet malt at first with some taste of alcohol (not surprising since it is 10% alchol). Then there is a wash of the piney citrus hops that IPAs are known for. Has a bitter aftertaste with some astringency.

M - Moderately viscous with plenty of carbonation.

D - My first impression was that it was a little too sweet, but the sweetness seems just a disguise for the bitterness. I enjoyed this beer. There are other IPAs that I like better but I could be happy drinking a few of these

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange color with a long-lasting head that leaves some lacing

Smell: Primarily fruity, with grapefruit, pineapple and peach tones and a little malt in the background; fusel alcohol as well in the aroma

Taste: Starts out with a nicely balanced fruit and malt combination; rather sweet, in fact; the hops never quite rise to the expected level and are slightly rough in the finish

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and very smooth; modest carbonation; the alcohol feel is definitely there, too

Drinkability: More like a double APA than an IPA, I really enjoy the style; I would be happier with a little less alcohol, but that is a quibble

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a warm deep orange body that is clear with a strong dense carbonation. The head is a creamy yellowish white that last for a good long bit.

S- The smell of caramel malt and green floral hops is well balanced. Not much other depth in the hop bill.

T- The flavor of big juicy hops with a faint spearmint note makes them really taste fresh. The note of malt that has been caramelized in the pot is a nice background flavor. The finish is a big, slightly earthy, hop bitterness that has a very gentle alcohol boost to it.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a creamy texture to it. The alcohol warmth is soft but give the hops a nice compliment.

D- The hops are soft in the nose but all there in the taste. It is nice to taste the caramelize malt that gives it a smooth flavor and nice support to the hops.

2.85/5  rDev -27.8%

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - A beautiful fiery reddish orange color with a two finger foamy white head. A great look overall in the snifter. Leaves a bit of lacing on the glass. I really can;t get over the color, it's awesome.

S - A nice mix of pine and citrus hops on the nose. Notnhing earth shattering as far as a super hop bomb for a DIPA but nice to sniff overall.

T - Wow what a nose dive here. The initial taste is actually nothing but sweet malt. Then the hops come in to beat it back a little but that sweetness seems to be too much. Not very balanced. Just doesn't taste like much of an IPA and the sweetnes is a bit overbearing.

M - A fairly heavy mouthfeel with all the sweetness. A bit oily and slick on the tongue.

D - After a few more sips this beer really is barely drinkable. That sweetness is way out of whack and overall this is not a good example of the style. This beer is GREAT eye candy, but not what I'm looking for in the style.

Notes: This really just seems like a miss by Stoudt's. A great looking beer with an inviting aroma. The taste just falls flat though. Oh well, they can't all be nectar of the gods.

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours otu to a cloudy dark caramel, forming a rocky and soapy beige head with very good retention and nice sheets of lacing. Carbonation is mild to moderate. The aroma is not as hoppy or pungent as I expect....citric and slightly piney. This is all backed by green apple esters, residual sugars, honey and grain husk. The mouthfeel is very smooth and syrupy with a dense, oily body. The taste is at first piney and grapefruity...this is followed by a very big thick malt body. Towards the end, things fall apart for a sec with some boozy alcohols characteristic of a prolonged warm ferment. These are quickly overrided by the hops in the aftertaste but are enough to be distracting and hamper it's drinkability. Belches are green and fruity. The alcohol is otherwise not harsh for it's supposed 10% ABV. Somewhat sweet for an IPA, but not completely out of balance.

Nice brew. I would drink this one again. Try it!

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

DIPA-ADVENTURE! In order to progress on this beer journey, you have to OPEN the BEER. OPEN BEER. And off I went... on my own DIPA-ADVENTURE! An adventure... to extreme flavors. Let's review, shall we?

Appearance: Orange-copper color, marked by some scant haziness, and crowned by a frothy white head. Solid head retention and spectacular lacing.

Smell: Fragrant fruitiness (pineapple) and citrus characteristics mingle amidst the piney hop aroma. Also, there's a considerable amount of malt in the nose. There's a touch of alcohol too, but it's very insignificant amongst the other key components.

Taste: Initial bitterness, which soon gives way to layers of luscious, juicy tropical fruit flavors. Soon, and moreso as the beer warms, sweet caramel malts emerge to add a bit of balance to the hops. The finish is dry, though very brief, leaving the tongue free and clear of any scalding hop oil aftertastes.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. The gentle carbonation rescues this beer from ever becoming syrupy, instead allowing it to simply be splendidly mouth-coating.

Drinkability: Altogether drinkable, especially with the 10% ABV never becoming offensive. A delightful beer, and along with Stoudt's Fat Dog, is one of my favorites among this brewery's offerings.

Stoudt's Double-IPA is living every beer's dreams!

I think in one way or another, we are all trying to OPEN a BEER ADVENTURE in our own lives. We just want to being our own beer adventures. Am I right, guys?

And in the end... the BEERS are in our own hearts.

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

pours a bright copper color with orange hues, has a light head that dropped into a slight lace.
the aroma is hoppy, malty, citrus.
the flavor is bitter, hopsack, citrus, orangy, sweet malt, spicy.
the mouthfeel is very thick.
this beer is very drinkable but most enjoyed on a cald night by a fire.

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Presented as a light orange beverage with modest white puffy head that showed good retention. Beautiful lacing on the side of the glass.Smell was extremely enjoyable, with strong notes of piney hops that virtually attcked the senses with a nice hint of malt in the background. Almost like being in a pine forest. Some citrus also to be found. The taste proved also to be a superb combination of the piney hops and citrus-like malt. The blend produced an excellent result. Finished with a good hop bitterness which was tempered with more maltiness. This was an absolutely great beer that completely hides its 10% alcohol. Great drinkability.

3.08/5  rDev -22%

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange with a fluffy white head that retains fairly well and coats the glass with lacing.

The aroma is spicy, piney hops with some melon and alcohol.

The flavor is sweet sugary melon initially with a subdued spicy bitterness. I don't really care for the balance of the sweetness and spiciness. As I drink more, it collides into one big bland mess. There are some notes of alcohol in the finish. It is medium bodied and kind of watery but sticky.

Overall, a pretty mediocre DIPA and a pretty big disappointment. The sweetness far outweighs the bitterness. I prefer my DIPAs bitter. This reminded me a bit of Avery's 11 DIPA.

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

WOW WOW WOW. This is close to the "perfect beer". Floral scents, nice hops but not too hoppy, more balanced. Kinda has the feel for me of Dead Guy Ale. Only problem, is it's waaay too strong. Wish the abv was in the 6-7% range. I could see myself treating these like a 5% cause they taste like a session beer, but are as strong or stronger than most belgians. Outstanding beer one of the best I've tasted.

3.15/5  rDev -20.3%

This beer showed me really how different IPA's can be from one part of the country to the other. All my Double IPA experience comes from west coast brewers. This beer was a light amber,maybe a bit orangey amber in color. Nice head left good lace. Smell was nothing even close to west coast varieties, I expected more hop aroma. Taste was pretty balanced, not in your face, I sensed a bit of orangey taste but otherwise hada hard time describing it. Very drinkable however, I admit my review is a bit scattered. I liked the beer, but it did not meet my expectations. Pehaps it's unfair to cpompare and just accept the dfferent styles. Thanks to my buddy Rkhaze for the sample.

Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stoudts Brewing Co.