Stoudt's Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudt's Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)Stoudt's Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)

rAvg: 4
Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gavage on 10-29-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stoudt's Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) Alström Bros
120minuteman

08-25-2012 13:57:51 | More by 120minuteman
CaptJackHarkness

1.6/5  rDev -60%

The appearance is fine; the rich black/brown you can not see through. The aroma, sweet maypo oatmeal on a snowy winter morning. Pours an ok head that dissapears quickly. Then came the taste! Rancid and nasty. This is the first time I ever took one sip and poured the rest down the drain!

08-27-2011 18:36:18 | More by CaptJackHarkness
BGsWo22

03-20-2013 23:52:55 | More by BGsWo22
nzerbe

03-21-2013 00:13:27 | More by nzerbe
Naes

2.1/5  rDev -47.5%

This beer is jet black and has a two finger milk chocolate colored head.

The aroma is super malty with the presence of coffee and alcohol.

The flavor is much sweeter than I expected. It’s a bit syrupy and has a lot of bitter chocolate flavor.

Its mouth feel and drinkability are greatly hindered by the syrupy factor. This is definitely a sipping beer. It is worth looking at if you like the super sweet stouts, but this is not the brew for me.

08-20-2005 05:00:44 | More by Naes
krberg

Oregon

2.28/5  rDev -43%

Molasses colored with a thick brown head. I am actually suprised at the density of the head considering the ABV. No light escapes my glass! Fat Dog is the only beer I have ever held up to the bright white BA reviewing field that hasn't reveiled ruby or brown highlights. Just pure black.

Smells malty-sweet and like lighter roasted coffee with hints of very dark brown sugar. I can't pick out any hop aroma. In short it smells like a big, roasty stout. Awesome!

Did I just take a shot of something?! Tastes like booze; hot, sharp and sweet. Where is the roast I smell? There is a hint of smooth oatmeal stout in the background. I think it is too cold... Alright, 55 degrees and now the nose has turned to pure alcohol and the taste hasn't changed except that now I can find the black patent very easily. The background stout has faded into fusel hell. Goddamn it!

Mouthfeel is lacking the slickness and fullbody of a regular oatmeal stout.

I'm having a hard time finishing the 12 oz. Couldn't drink anymore of this.

I am so very disappointed. Fat Dog looks and smells great (when cold anyway). This coupled with my love for a good oatmeal stout had my expectations in the stratosphere. I wanted to love this beer! Maybe it was a bad bottle...

EDIT: Now that I have read the other reviews, I am willing to give this another try in the coming months.

01-25-2005 04:47:57 | More by krberg
ChrisMon02

2.38/5  rDev -40.5%

A-typical dark looking beer with a decent head that doesn't last long

S-Not much to say. Oddly smells like a wild ale

T-I must have a bad bottle. Taste like vinegar and nothing else. I even had someone else taste it and by the look on their face I am correct.

M-Not bad. Regular feel.

O-I am chaulking this one up as a fluke. I will try again if I run into it on tap.

04-28-2014 20:19:42 | More by ChrisMon02
Kolsch

2.42/5  rDev -39.5%

On Tap at Home: Kegged date not found

Appearance: dark brown but not black. Can definitely see through. Head was very minimal but did leave some lacing thru drink

Smell: medicinal alcohol laced with ripe raisons. Also picked up some band aid as well.

Taste: watery thin with the band aid taste overwhelming any malts. Chocolate does come through as well but can't get past the alcohol burn. Leaves a very unappealing after taste of band aid raisons.

Overall: below average as far as Imperial Stouts goes. Highly disappointed on this one, wish I would have bought a bottle to try before buying a whole keg. Stoudts makes some of the best dammed lagers in the US but Stout as a style, they do not.

11-25-2010 15:33:35 | More by Kolsch
tfsimpkins

2.5/5  rDev -37.5%

02-10-2012 16:10:36 | More by tfsimpkins
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

2.5/5  rDev -37.5%

Poured into pint glass from 12oz bottle...

A- Nice black color with brown edges and a finger caramel colored head. Great stability for an imperial stout.

S- Overall a light aroma. The most I get is a oaty and cereal type of smell. Shy coffee aroma plays hide and seek but no strong roasted barley in this stouts nose.

T/M- Waaay too alcoholic. Very hot. Ethanol. Gasoline. Some roast. A slight smooth oatmeal stout does say hi right once it hits your tongue- then BAM! Alcohol... Just can't get behind it. Very smooth and slick mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation keeps it lively; which may or may not be a good thing.

O- I am not talking alcohol like a nice barrel aged beer alcohol- no, this is a stout mixed with straight vodka/rubbing alcohol. I plan to get some more and sit on this for a year or two; may work wonders because this has potential...

08-17-2011 15:50:49 | More by TheGordianKnot
deaconoflove

2.63/5  rDev -34.3%

Ap. Black, opaque with a nice tan head.
Sm. Immediately hit with a sour milk smell...it might be me, but it just killed it right there. Also chocolate milk is very present with some hops in the background.
Ta. Chocolate milk and chocolate malt - mild with vague bitterness at the finish.
Mf. good, smooth, creamy.
Dr. I just can't get past the sour milk thing. It's probably me and my horrible experience with afternoon milk (not cold, gag, suck it down in 30 seconds and try not to GAG!) in 3rd grade (c.1959). So, enjoy! I do not drink milk to this day.

09-13-2011 23:12:37 | More by deaconoflove
JohnW

United Kingdom (England)

2.68/5  rDev -33%

Had this on tap at a BA recommended bar in Tampa FL. Having read all the other reviews before trying it, was expecting exactly as discribed. Regret to have to say it was not to my taste at all, unless the beer was "off" though it was not sour. Almost jet black, with decent head to start. The aroma was more like methylated spirit, dry and unpleasant, though the texture and body of the beer was good. I was expecting some hints of fruity sweetness, but there was non at all. A very bitter taste with lingering chocolate and dark roasted coffee in the aftertaste which I liked, but the initial taste was not to my liking at all. I only had a sampler glass, and certainly could not have drunk a pint. As I am unsure to whether this was in good condition or not, and having no-one else who knew the beer to comment, I can only mark it as I found it. As far as I am concerned a very acquired taste!

JohnW
Bham UK (while in Tampa FL May 2006)

05-11-2006 13:44:00 | More by JohnW
DanThomas

2.73/5  rDev -31.8%

Second beer I've had from them after the Scarlet Lady.

A- Looks like coca-cola, only a little darker.

S- Alcohol, roasted aromas and bitter chocolate, smooth oatmeal background (no, seriously). Whenever I smell an alcoholic astringency, I always begin to suspect an expired bottle, but we'll see.

T- Alcohol and sweetness hit upfront, and then the alcohol really dominates on the back, along with some chocolate bitterness. The middle is all cola flavors. Can't say I like it.

M- Very very sharp initially, which is not what I expect from anything oats related, but it does dissipate into a smoother feel at the back.

D- Maybe I just don't like the style, but given the other positive reviews on here I wonder if I got a bad bottle. It says bottled on 7/28/10, which was a little over two months ago, and maybe the flavor changed for the worse since it is a bottle conditioned beer. Who knows. I was expecting much better.

10-07-2010 22:23:11 | More by DanThomas
UCLABrewN84

2.73/5  rDev -31.8%

Thanks to jmpizzo for sending me this one!

Pours an almost (like 99% here) opaque super dark brown with a 1 inch foamy tan head that settles to a thin film. Random blotches of lace stick to the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, toasted oats, sour dark fruits, and an alcohol scent. Taste is of dark fruits up front with some malt/oat flavors on the finish. There is also a sour flavor that is coming through on this one that I am pretty sure is not intended. Perhaps an infection? This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a smooth mouthfeel. Overall, I am disappointed in this beer. I think there is an infection or age issue going on with this one. The sour smell and flavors are pretty off putting in my opinion.

10-12-2011 02:50:16 | More by UCLABrewN84
Mitchster

2.73/5  rDev -31.8%

$2.30 a single down at Jack's. 55 IBU. 9% ABV.

Pours out to an inky black, forming a creamy and rocky dark brown head like espresso crema with excellent retention and big thick sticky chunks of lacing. Nice looking brew. Mild to moderate in it's carbonation. The aroma is interesting, akin to old Kzoo stout in it's yeast selection. Big notes of black walnut, vanilla, dark chocolate, french roast coffee and when swirled, a grassy hoppy acidity. Mouthfeel is soft and smooth with a dense body. The taste begins with the acidity of leafy green hops and this penetrates until the end. In the middle, the big amber malts bring out a nice malty sweetness with dark fruit notes, and then in the end is a big roasted/burnt grain taste. An odd combination of the vegetal hops with the sweet/sour mix of the malts throws me for a loop towards the end. The finish has that vegetal sourness that I can't put my finger on, kinda like the bitterness of cabbage mixed with the sourness of green apples. At any rate, it kinda disturbs me. The chalk of brewing minerals is waaayyyy too potent. As it warms, a big alcohol presence makes itself known in aroma and flavor. Burps taste of burnt cookies, grass clippings, and Chef Boyardee canned lasagna.

Ugh. This is a hefty brew, but way too many things are off here, so I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd like to. Odd constellation of flavors, like it's trying to be an imperial stout but got stuck in a rotten vegetable cooler. Maybe my taste is just off today, but I'm definitely not digging this. Bad dog. Go home.

06-01-2006 21:16:57 | More by Mitchster
Stobin

2.75/5  rDev -31.3%

12-24-2012 05:08:52 | More by Stobin
Alieniloquium

2.8/5  rDev -30%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Funky Buddha snifter.

Appearance - A brown stream accumulates into a pretty black body. Small khaki head. Settles to a nice collar and a few pocks of foam.

Smell - There is a ton of oatmeal in this. Some chocolate. Some acidity in the nose too. Maybe just a combination of oatmeal and alcohol giving that impression. Definite licorice character.

Taste - Grainy texture and flavor up front. Licorice flavor manifests itself immediately. Chocolate behind it. Still buckets of oatmeal. That acidic flavor comes back here too. Maybe even metallic. Not sure.

Mouthfeel - Builds into an intrusive flavor with each sip. Slow drinking as a result. Not my favorite and this might get dumped.

Overall - Slowly working through this and enjoying it less and less. Too much oatmeal, which is giving off all sorts of flavors.

05-18-2013 01:43:41 | More by Alieniloquium
kevinv

2.88/5  rDev -28%

12oz bottle dated 1/24/11. I always see this one at the store and finally decided to pick one up.

A - Pours a thick, dark, opaque black. Only got about a 1 finger light tan colored head with a hard pour. Faded quickly and left only a spotty lacing.

S - Only a slight roast and a mild sweetness. Fairly bland.

T - The taste is comprised largely of a sweet malt with a little bitter finish. Some dark fruits come through with the sweetness. The taste doesn't remind me of an oatmeal stout at all.

M - Very light for an imperial stout. Where's the creaminess and the smoothness that oatmeal stouts usually bring? This is watery. Low carbonation

D - Maybe I'm just missing what all of these high reviews are claiming, but I was really let down by this one. The drinkability is definitely there for a 9% ABV beer, but I'd look for something more interesting as beer #2.

03-03-2011 01:37:02 | More by kevinv
unclederby

Oregon

2.88/5  rDev -28%

i really had high expectations for this beer.
brought home a six pack so poured from a 12 oz. bottle (the case pack was stamped bottled on 10/05/05.

well i gotta say... i dunno know.
it has a very nice look. nearly opaque black with little head.
smell is of roasted and chocolate malts, oats, and alcohol.

all well and good, but it was the first drink that made me do a doubletake. all alcohol burn, with a lingering, burnt aftertaste. really a little unpleasant. but the beer was still cold, so i'm letting it warm a bit before i conclude.

bear with me, i'm trying to find the positive qualities in this one.
now at room tempurature, i'm getting some chocolate and french roast flavors, but still this beer is highly astringent, and i don't think it's from the hops. it's just not well integrated at this point - the alcohol being overly pronounced.

it did get better as it warmed, but...

maybe this thing just needs some age to smooth out the rough edges, and i'll save some to find out but at this point i can't rate it as one of my favorite imperial stouts. not even close.

11-12-2005 04:27:51 | More by unclederby
PorterLambic

2.88/5  rDev -28%

Pours black with a dark tan, creamy head. Dissipates slowly.
Smell is...practically non-existent. Very slight caramel & coffee notes.
Taste is much better with toffee, roasted malt & caramel.
Creamy texture, warming, smooth thought a bit thin. A medium-ish body with mild effervescence. Decent overall though nuttin' special.

One note: my bottle said 9.5% ABV.

08-26-2008 15:18:31 | More by PorterLambic
kwm13

2.9/5  rDev -27.5%

12 oz. bottle from Oliver's Beverage in Albany, NY.

Deep brown color, poured with a moderate head that fell apart quickly, but sticks to the edge well. When it poured, it looks quite carbonated.

You get a nice roasted malty smell with a slight hint of chocolate.

I get a good bit of carbonation from it, and it finishes a little watery with an aftertaste that really doesn't please me.

Other than the aftertaste, I could get by enjoying this one, but I can't get past it.

Edit: Thought about the taste for a few more minutes and determined it was just bitter. Too much for my liking.

04-02-2008 02:53:07 | More by kwm13
Zephenbrewid

2.93/5  rDev -26.8%

Serving Type: on-tap 5 oz. taster

A: Darker, creamy head, very dark red colors present in the thinner areas of the glass

S: chocolate is the dominant aroma, slight roasted character

T: bitterness present right off the bat

M: medium body, could be a little thicker considering it is an outmeal stout

07-08-2007 21:32:57 | More by Zephenbrewid
biglite351

2.93/5  rDev -26.8%

A - dark with tall slow vanishong foam.

S - oddly fruity, but even more oddly I liked it.

T - uneventful. Not bad, but not much to comment on. Very difficult to mail down.

M - tingly all over. Busy.

D - I am sorry to say that I will pass on this one. It simply does not deliver.

02-28-2010 02:45:41 | More by biglite351
lurpy1

2.95/5  rDev -26.3%

Stoudt's Fat Dog passes muster as a rock solid Oatmeal Stout on 4 of the 5 senses: Looks good, tastes good, feels good, suppose I give it the benefit of that it sounds good. It's the 5th sense, smell, where the trouble is for me. Fat Dog had a hard to place, rotting cheese aroma that accompanied the brew. Quite off putting, even interfered with the taste (with clothespin applied to nose I'm confident the taste score could be a full point higher. Would be willing to try again, perhaps something off with the bottle.

10-31-2011 13:23:41 | More by lurpy1
BMMillsy

2.95/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours dark brown to black with a kahki head. Wet dog aroma, some roast, and a bit of booze. Roasty malt character, without much other flavor, very little sweetness, maybe a little dark fruit mixed in there. On the boozy side despite that not-so-high ABV. I was not impressed here, but also had it right after a Founders Breakfast Stout, so it was probably at a disadvantage. But something seems off and a little muddled in the flavors here. I just don't get the high ratings.

03-09-2012 15:21:05 | More by BMMillsy
Stoudt's Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) from Stoudts Brewing Co.