Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Stoudt's Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudt's Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)Stoudt's Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)

Avg: 4
Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gavage on 10-29-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stoudt's Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) Alström Bros
Reviews: 746 | Hads: 1,277
1.71/5  rDev -57.3%

The appearance is fine; the rich black/brown you can not see through. The aroma, sweet maypo oatmeal on a snowy winter morning. Pours an ok head that dissapears quickly. Then came the taste! Rancid and nasty. This is the first time I ever took one sip and poured the rest down the drain!

2.19/5  rDev -45.3%

This beer is jet black and has a two finger milk chocolate colored head.

The aroma is super malty with the presence of coffee and alcohol.

The flavor is much sweeter than I expected. It’s a bit syrupy and has a lot of bitter chocolate flavor.

Its mouth feel and drinkability are greatly hindered by the syrupy factor. This is definitely a sipping beer. It is worth looking at if you like the super sweet stouts, but this is not the brew for me.

2.36/5  rDev -41%

A-typical dark looking beer with a decent head that doesn't last long

S-Not much to say. Oddly smells like a wild ale

T-I must have a bad bottle. Taste like vinegar and nothing else. I even had someone else taste it and by the look on their face I am correct.

M-Not bad. Regular feel.

O-I am chaulking this one up as a fluke. I will try again if I run into it on tap.

2.37/5  rDev -40.8%

Molasses colored with a thick brown head. I am actually suprised at the density of the head considering the ABV. No light escapes my glass! Fat Dog is the only beer I have ever held up to the bright white BA reviewing field that hasn't reveiled ruby or brown highlights. Just pure black.

Smells malty-sweet and like lighter roasted coffee with hints of very dark brown sugar. I can't pick out any hop aroma. In short it smells like a big, roasty stout. Awesome!

Did I just take a shot of something?! Tastes like booze; hot, sharp and sweet. Where is the roast I smell? There is a hint of smooth oatmeal stout in the background. I think it is too cold... Alright, 55 degrees and now the nose has turned to pure alcohol and the taste hasn't changed except that now I can find the black patent very easily. The background stout has faded into fusel hell. Goddamn it!

Mouthfeel is lacking the slickness and fullbody of a regular oatmeal stout.

I'm having a hard time finishing the 12 oz. Couldn't drink anymore of this.

I am so very disappointed. Fat Dog looks and smells great (when cold anyway). This coupled with my love for a good oatmeal stout had my expectations in the stratosphere. I wanted to love this beer! Maybe it was a bad bottle...

EDIT: Now that I have read the other reviews, I am willing to give this another try in the coming months.

2.64/5  rDev -34%

Ap. Black, opaque with a nice tan head.
Sm. Immediately hit with a sour milk smell...it might be me, but it just killed it right there. Also chocolate milk is very present with some hops in the background.
Ta. Chocolate milk and chocolate malt - mild with vague bitterness at the finish.
Mf. good, smooth, creamy.
Dr. I just can't get past the sour milk thing. It's probably me and my horrible experience with afternoon milk (not cold, gag, suck it down in 30 seconds and try not to GAG!) in 3rd grade (c.1959). So, enjoy! I do not drink milk to this day.

2.69/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this on tap at a BA recommended bar in Tampa FL. Having read all the other reviews before trying it, was expecting exactly as discribed. Regret to have to say it was not to my taste at all, unless the beer was "off" though it was not sour. Almost jet black, with decent head to start. The aroma was more like methylated spirit, dry and unpleasant, though the texture and body of the beer was good. I was expecting some hints of fruity sweetness, but there was non at all. A very bitter taste with lingering chocolate and dark roasted coffee in the aftertaste which I liked, but the initial taste was not to my liking at all. I only had a sampler glass, and certainly could not have drunk a pint. As I am unsure to whether this was in good condition or not, and having no-one else who knew the beer to comment, I can only mark it as I found it. As far as I am concerned a very acquired taste!

Bham UK (while in Tampa FL May 2006)

2.75/5  rDev -31.3%

Second beer I've had from them after the Scarlet Lady.

A- Looks like coca-cola, only a little darker.

S- Alcohol, roasted aromas and bitter chocolate, smooth oatmeal background (no, seriously). Whenever I smell an alcoholic astringency, I always begin to suspect an expired bottle, but we'll see.

T- Alcohol and sweetness hit upfront, and then the alcohol really dominates on the back, along with some chocolate bitterness. The middle is all cola flavors. Can't say I like it.

M- Very very sharp initially, which is not what I expect from anything oats related, but it does dissipate into a smoother feel at the back.

D- Maybe I just don't like the style, but given the other positive reviews on here I wonder if I got a bad bottle. It says bottled on 7/28/10, which was a little over two months ago, and maybe the flavor changed for the worse since it is a bottle conditioned beer. Who knows. I was expecting much better.

2.76/5  rDev -31%

Thanks to jmpizzo for sending me this one!

Pours an almost (like 99% here) opaque super dark brown with a 1 inch foamy tan head that settles to a thin film. Random blotches of lace stick to the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, toasted oats, sour dark fruits, and an alcohol scent. Taste is of dark fruits up front with some malt/oat flavors on the finish. There is also a sour flavor that is coming through on this one that I am pretty sure is not intended. Perhaps an infection? This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a smooth mouthfeel. Overall, I am disappointed in this beer. I think there is an infection or age issue going on with this one. The sour smell and flavors are pretty off putting in my opinion.

2.79/5  rDev -30.3%

I must have gotten a bad bottle. Instantly reminded me of that acrid polish my parents put on my nails as a child so I'd stop biting them, backed by an otherwise solid stout taste.

2.82/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with a dark tan, creamy head. Dissipates slowly.
Smell is...practically non-existent. Very slight caramel & coffee notes.
Taste is much better with toffee, roasted malt & caramel.
Creamy texture, warming, smooth thought a bit thin. A medium-ish body with mild effervescence. Decent overall though nuttin' special.

One note: my bottle said 9.5% ABV.

2.83/5  rDev -29.3%

$2.30 a single down at Jack's. 55 IBU. 9% ABV.

Pours out to an inky black, forming a creamy and rocky dark brown head like espresso crema with excellent retention and big thick sticky chunks of lacing. Nice looking brew. Mild to moderate in it's carbonation. The aroma is interesting, akin to old Kzoo stout in it's yeast selection. Big notes of black walnut, vanilla, dark chocolate, french roast coffee and when swirled, a grassy hoppy acidity. Mouthfeel is soft and smooth with a dense body. The taste begins with the acidity of leafy green hops and this penetrates until the end. In the middle, the big amber malts bring out a nice malty sweetness with dark fruit notes, and then in the end is a big roasted/burnt grain taste. An odd combination of the vegetal hops with the sweet/sour mix of the malts throws me for a loop towards the end. The finish has that vegetal sourness that I can't put my finger on, kinda like the bitterness of cabbage mixed with the sourness of green apples. At any rate, it kinda disturbs me. The chalk of brewing minerals is waaayyyy too potent. As it warms, a big alcohol presence makes itself known in aroma and flavor. Burps taste of burnt cookies, grass clippings, and Chef Boyardee canned lasagna.

Ugh. This is a hefty brew, but way too many things are off here, so I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd like to. Odd constellation of flavors, like it's trying to be an imperial stout but got stuck in a rotten vegetable cooler. Maybe my taste is just off today, but I'm definitely not digging this. Bad dog. Go home.

2.85/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Funky Buddha snifter.

Appearance - A brown stream accumulates into a pretty black body. Small khaki head. Settles to a nice collar and a few pocks of foam.

Smell - There is a ton of oatmeal in this. Some chocolate. Some acidity in the nose too. Maybe just a combination of oatmeal and alcohol giving that impression. Definite licorice character.

Taste - Grainy texture and flavor up front. Licorice flavor manifests itself immediately. Chocolate behind it. Still buckets of oatmeal. That acidic flavor comes back here too. Maybe even metallic. Not sure.

Mouthfeel - Builds into an intrusive flavor with each sip. Slow drinking as a result. Not my favorite and this might get dumped.

Overall - Slowly working through this and enjoying it less and less. Too much oatmeal, which is giving off all sorts of flavors.

2.86/5  rDev -28.5%

12oz bottle dated 1/24/11. I always see this one at the store and finally decided to pick one up.

A - Pours a thick, dark, opaque black. Only got about a 1 finger light tan colored head with a hard pour. Faded quickly and left only a spotty lacing.

S - Only a slight roast and a mild sweetness. Fairly bland.

T - The taste is comprised largely of a sweet malt with a little bitter finish. Some dark fruits come through with the sweetness. The taste doesn't remind me of an oatmeal stout at all.

M - Very light for an imperial stout. Where's the creaminess and the smoothness that oatmeal stouts usually bring? This is watery. Low carbonation

D - Maybe I'm just missing what all of these high reviews are claiming, but I was really let down by this one. The drinkability is definitely there for a 9% ABV beer, but I'd look for something more interesting as beer #2.

2.92/5  rDev -27%

Stoudt's Fat Dog passes muster as a rock solid Oatmeal Stout on 4 of the 5 senses: Looks good, tastes good, feels good, suppose I give it the benefit of that it sounds good. It's the 5th sense, smell, where the trouble is for me. Fat Dog had a hard to place, rotting cheese aroma that accompanied the brew. Quite off putting, even interfered with the taste (with clothespin applied to nose I'm confident the taste score could be a full point higher. Would be willing to try again, perhaps something off with the bottle.

2.93/5  rDev -26.8%

12 oz. bottle from Oliver's Beverage in Albany, NY.

Deep brown color, poured with a moderate head that fell apart quickly, but sticks to the edge well. When it poured, it looks quite carbonated.

You get a nice roasted malty smell with a slight hint of chocolate.

I get a good bit of carbonation from it, and it finishes a little watery with an aftertaste that really doesn't please me.

Other than the aftertaste, I could get by enjoying this one, but I can't get past it.

Edit: Thought about the taste for a few more minutes and determined it was just bitter. Too much for my liking.

2.93/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

i really had high expectations for this beer.
brought home a six pack so poured from a 12 oz. bottle (the case pack was stamped bottled on 10/05/05.

well i gotta say... i dunno know.
it has a very nice look. nearly opaque black with little head.
smell is of roasted and chocolate malts, oats, and alcohol.

all well and good, but it was the first drink that made me do a doubletake. all alcohol burn, with a lingering, burnt aftertaste. really a little unpleasant. but the beer was still cold, so i'm letting it warm a bit before i conclude.

bear with me, i'm trying to find the positive qualities in this one.
now at room tempurature, i'm getting some chocolate and french roast flavors, but still this beer is highly astringent, and i don't think it's from the hops. it's just not well integrated at this point - the alcohol being overly pronounced.

it did get better as it warmed, but...

maybe this thing just needs some age to smooth out the rough edges, and i'll save some to find out but at this point i can't rate it as one of my favorite imperial stouts. not even close.

2.95/5  rDev -26.3%

Serving Type: on-tap 5 oz. taster

A: Darker, creamy head, very dark red colors present in the thinner areas of the glass

S: chocolate is the dominant aroma, slight roasted character

T: bitterness present right off the bat

M: medium body, could be a little thicker considering it is an outmeal stout

2.96/5  rDev -26%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours dark brown to black with a kahki head. Wet dog aroma, some roast, and a bit of booze. Roasty malt character, without much other flavor, very little sweetness, maybe a little dark fruit mixed in there. On the boozy side despite that not-so-high ABV. I was not impressed here, but also had it right after a Founders Breakfast Stout, so it was probably at a disadvantage. But something seems off and a little muddled in the flavors here. I just don't get the high ratings.

2.97/5  rDev -25.8%

This beer pours avery dark brown with a 1 finger head and no lace. It's aroma is of coffee with toast and a hint of chocolate. The flavor leads off with coffee followed by burnt toast, dark chocolate, and a creamy sweetness in the finish. The mouthfeel is light-medium with a mild alcohol warmth. Stoudts Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) is a good beer, recommended.

Got this one at Premiere Gourmet in Amherst, NY.

From a bottle into a snifter
Bottled 11 April 2012

APPEARANCE: A clear brown pour produces a small, one finger, medium looking, light tan head with good retention. Head slowly fades to a full wisp and bubbly ring. Clear black body with medium levels of carbonation. A splotchy wisp and ring remain until the end and leave touches of lacing down the glass. Good head, but the body is too transparent.

SMELL: Roasted malts, dark chocolate, light coffee notes and some oats on the nose. Some light touches of sweet cream as well as some cocoa powder. Decent, but mild.

TASTE: Roasted malts and some light oat notes up front, then some caramel sweetness and burnt malts at the swallow. A medium but lingering finish of burnt malt, bitter cocoa powder, light oat flavors and some boozy notes. Pretty nice, but again, just too mild to be memorable.

PALATE: Lighter body with medium levels of carbonation. Creamy enough on the palate, goes down fine and finishes slightly dry. Average at best, so we'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

OVERALL: A really average beer for the style. Nothing wrong with it per say, but to bring it out of the realm of averagedom, the look will have to be darker and thicker, and palate fuller and heavier. The flavors and aromas will have to be bolder as well. A decent beer, but that's all.

A - dark with tall slow vanishong foam.

S - oddly fruity, but even more oddly I liked it.

T - uneventful. Not bad, but not much to comment on. Very difficult to mail down.

M - tingly all over. Busy.

D - I am sorry to say that I will pass on this one. It simply does not deliver.

Huh - I'm sort of surprised to this rated so highly. It wasn't bad by any means, but it also didn't strike me as being a particularly special beer. I had this shortly after a Troegs Rugged Trail Brown Ale, and didn't find this Imperial Stout to be altogether more roasty or have that much more body than the brown ale, which sort of surprised and disappointed me. Imperial stout is sort of a superlative style - more malty, roasty and higher ABV than other styles, and while this beer was pleasant enough, it was hardly superlative.

A little light in color for a RIS, with a medium amount of head. Aroma was roasty, but pretty faint for the style. Flavor was as described above. Mouthfeel was a bit thin.

I bought this bottle at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, OH.

3.03/5  rDev -24.3%

Very dark, one of the darker brews. Has a foamy tan head that laced slightly. Smells nutty with some sweet, maybe caramel or chocolate, I can't really make it out. The taste has some chocolate tone to it but it's got a lot of bite to it as well (typical imperial style). This is the least favorite of oatmeal stouts i've had in the past. I am not a huge fan of it myself. I have read that you can take these imperial stouts and make a ice cream float, I may have to try that for one of these.

3.1/5  rDev -22.5%

Somehow I've managed to go my whole drinking lifetime without having a single beer from Stoudt's even though their right in my backyard (comparatively). That'll change tonight.

APPEARANCE: Pours an almost deep, deep red to black into a shaker pint. The head is very small and light tan. It shrinks to a moderate collar and some sparse, hazy foam.

SMELL: The aroma isn't terribly strong, but it's heavy on the sweeter spectrum of stout flavors. The chocolates and caramels come out and are augmented by a slight roastiness. It's also a tad fruity with dates and licorice.

TASTE: An oddly split taste that's distinctly sweet, but also separately bitter. Caramels and sweet malt is side by side with burnt black malt and a mild hop bitterness. It's kinda weird, but I am enjoying it.

MOUTHFEEL: Definitely thinner than I'd like it. Carbonation is on the lower end as well.

DRINKABILITY: It's ok. I have no problem drinking this. There's just a lot that I'd rather have.

Hmm, I'm not terribly impressed with my first taste of Stoudt's. But first impressions can be deceiving. I'll give a different beer of theirs a try sometime in the future.

3.11/5  rDev -22.3%

A - Poured a solid black with medum tan head, fluffy head dissipated to a single layer of bubbles. Some lacing.

S - I didn't get much from this beer, some definite oats and roasted malt aroma but that's about it.

T - Got some earthy hops up front, some spiciness as well. Mixes into a sweeter oatmeal taste as expected, then finishes with minimal roasted malts. Get some smooth vanilla as well. Overall, though, it didn't have a big flavor profile.

M - Thought it was definitely too thin for an "Imperial" of any kind, over-carbonated as well.

D - Drinkability was fine, especially compared to other imperials. It was too carbonated to really enjoy though.

Stoudt's Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) from Stoudts Brewing Co.