Stoudt's Triple (Belgian Abbey-Style Ale) - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudt's Triple (Belgian Abbey-Style Ale)Stoudt's Triple (Belgian Abbey-Style Ale)

good

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-24-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stoudt's Triple (Belgian Abbey-Style Ale) Alström Bros
wertschy

1.25/5  rDev -66.1%

05-19-2012 00:53:42 | More by wertschy
krberg

Oregon

1.65/5  rDev -55.3%

Bubbly copper with a rich white head. Looks nice in my Hoegaarden Grand Cru glass.

Smells like spicy belgian yeast and leather. Slightly of the plastic that insulates wires. Reminds me of homebrew in a bad way.

Very sweet, with a hint of biscuit or shortbread. Warms my chest as it moves past my heart. Its almost under-attenuated kind of sweet, but a hop bitterness comes from nowhere to rescue it at the very last second. Not bad, but not good either.

Has a nice sharp triple mouthfeel. Everything you would expect from the style; Slightly full with lots of CO2. I think the CO2 is actually what, in conjuction with the hop bitterness, saves this beer from being cloying.

I really don't think I'd want to drink another.

I just cannot recommend this beer. It falls short in every important category. I have found it especially difficult to get past my nose.

EDIT: Now that some of the CO2 has faded, it IS cloying. This triple has moved from "not bad" to bad in a hurry. Looks like a dumper. If you are going to try this beer drink it quickly.

01-26-2005 02:52:40 | More by krberg
Dcunicelli

10-22-2013 21:10:11 | More by Dcunicelli
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

2.13/5  rDev -42.3%

Appears deep bronze honey color thin white head leaves absolutely no lacing down the chalice seems way undercarbonated. Smells very sweet and boozy at this point I was used to trying Stoudt's Triple when it was effervescent and a bit more refined, some heavy tropical fruit soaked in alcohol tones coming through mild touch of hops evident. Tastes vinous deep rich maltiness some evident bitterness lacks dimensions of a great triple style ale seems to be fruity sweet with alcohol and mild hops not enough layers for me have any Belgian tripel over this brew. Texture was syrupy really needs some work in my opinion, I hope this one is better in the twelve oz. bottles. Drinkability for me was a bit cloying low carbonation needs to have some spritziness to it alcohol really came out in the flavor.

12-07-2005 13:43:35 | More by WVbeergeek
tweeder263

2.13/5  rDev -42.3%

Poured out a gold hazy brew with a weak thin head.Smells of sweet estery typical belgian smell.Taste is a bit odd. Sweet and tart, a bit too much for me,,not good.Leaves a lingering aftertaste.Not a brew ill buy again.The more i drink the worse it gets.

04-09-2008 01:02:16 | More by tweeder263
geexploitation

Indiana

2.38/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours very dark for a tripel, really amber with some reddish tinges, and no head. Smells of rich fruits -- apple and pear -- and dark, rich, sweet malts. This doesn't smell like a tripel; it smells more like an English barleywine. On the palate, thick and sweet initially, although some hops do come up toward the mid-palate and stay into the finish. The light sweetness of pale Belgian malts is replaced with thick, graham-and-honey elements more befitting a barleywine than a triple. Overall, this is a poor example of a tripel. It's too dark, too sweet, not bitter enough, and has some odd fruit notes. Style isn't everything of course, but I don't see how you can call this a tripel under any circumstances. Even with no style stated, the flavors involved here do not deserve high marks on their own.

11-04-2007 22:39:17 | More by geexploitation
mrasskicktastic

2.38/5  rDev -35.5%

This is a second reviewing. I found this to be drastically different than what I thought last time.

A - A deep clear bronze. Pours up a decent head, no lacing.

S - Strong vinous notes, a bit of cloves. Some caramel malt.

T - First I am hit by a slightly sweet malt flavor. Than a powerful stale bitterness takes over. It lingers long and doesn't do much for me. Not very good at all.

M - Slightly thick, not very refreshing.

D - I don't know what to think. When I first had this beer, it was delicious, sweet and fragrant. Now it something completely different. A real disappointment. I guess that must have just been a better batch or maybe a lot fresher. But I really don't want another.

11-26-2005 23:28:57 | More by mrasskicktastic
TheBierBand

2.4/5  rDev -35%

Got a single of this to try at Jungle Jim's (just on the north side of Cincinnati). 12 oz single bottle for $2.39. The bottle was coded with a Bottled on 7/21/07... WOW!... I purchased this on 7/25/07 and I'm drinking it on 8/4/07.... This stuff IS FRESH!.... should I have let this cellar for awhile???

I poured it into a goblet. The head fizzed up to about 1" and then disappeared completely... no lacing.... not a trace. The beer itself was a light amber/orange.

The aroma.... what's this?... it smelles like a Hefeweisen.... banana, bubblegum, spice... JUST like a hefeweisen!.... OK... I like the smell.

The Taste: WOAH!.... like a hefeweisen on steroids!.... I can taste that banana sweetness.... but it is immediately overtaken by a bitterness.... not like a hops bitterness, but like Gin mixed with bourbon (SERIOUSLY!) (hard alcohol). Personally, I don't think that the brewer hid the alcohol well, at all.... This might be right for style... I've only had one other "tripel" and that was a microbrewed "Final Absolution Tripel" from Dragonmead in the Detroit area (Warren) served on tap....(which I absolutely LOVED!) ...so I'll have to plead ignorance.

Mouthfeel: Too fizzy for my taste... this one is a sipping beer.... no big mouthfuls are recommended. I'm going to take my time finishing this.

Drinkability: Maybe these Tripels are an aquired taste.... apparently, I haven't aquired it yet... This one is tough to drink... Although.... I REALLY enjoyed the "Final Absolution Tripel" from Dragonmead Microbrewery in Warren, MI.... That was TOP NOTCH.... this one....well, I think it sucks....

Sorry if this is an ignorant review.... but I'm 125 beers into my "journey".... (still a rookie.... I guess...) .... Personally, I can't recommend this beer... maybe I'll give it another try in a couple of years (when my beer tastes have matured....)

08-05-2007 01:51:22 | More by TheBierBand
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.48/5  rDev -32.8%

Bottle courtesy of Adrian910ss: Poured a medium golden color ale with a small white bubbly head with minimal retention. Aroma of sweet malt with some alcohol. Taste is way too sweet for the style with some warming alcohol which didn’t really fit in there. Body was about average with some medium to low carbonation. Overall, I thought this beer was definitely off the style and way too sweet with some burning alcohol.

02-14-2007 18:49:04 | More by Phyl21ca
microbrewlover

2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

This brew pours a golden color with a two finger head which lasts until near the end with lacing which stays on the glass throughout. Heavy carbonation which remains until the end.

The smell is malts, yeast and mild hops, there is really nothing to it.

The taste starts out with malts and moves to bitter hops. There is also a slight biscuity taste. The alcohol taste is also prevalent; especially in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is biscuity and creamy; which is normal for this style.

Overall this brew is very basic, malt, yeast and hops and not much else. Additionally, the alochol is not well masked and remains on the palette as an aftertaste.

04-01-2012 21:26:52 | More by microbrewlover
Throckmorton

2.53/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I got this off the tap at the brewery, into a growler. It took about 15 minutes to fill for some reason I didn't understand. Guy behind the bar wasn't the friendliest bloke.

a - straw with slight haze

S - aroma was mild, with slight hay and grasses

T - fair, little Belgian funk, a bit disappointing

M - rather flat

D - fair.

Serving type: growler

05-01-2010 17:23:33 | More by Throckmorton
OWSLEY069

2.63/5  rDev -28.7%

Pours a cloudy orange-ish/ yellow color with an off white head. Aromas of candied sugar and malty alcohol. In the taste, sweet malt and alcohol very present. A bitter mouthfeel and a malty and alcoholic aftertaste. A bit sweet for a triple, but ok. Alcohol is not hidden and very present.

09-24-2007 13:02:43 | More by OWSLEY069
buyaa

2.63/5  rDev -28.7%

A: small bubbly head that sticks to the glass as you tip it

S: Yeasty with a hit of the alcohol

T/M: Pretty sweet, but that is the style, a little tinglely, a bit spicy with a very slight mild hop finish. Overall overpowered by the sweetness.

D: Due to the sweetness you would not want to drink more than one of these

03-24-2009 21:56:08 | More by buyaa
xav33

Stoudts Triple
12 oz bottle
Recent bottling, liberated 10/06
Medium pour in a tulip glass

Poured a murky bright copper orange with a smowhat lasting fizzy white average-sized head with no lacing.

Smelt of moderate all-spice, cantalope, sweet ripe bananas, and some doughiness. Some very faint alcoholic burn.

Taste was quick upfront sweet banana bread caught up with some light bitter spice followed by a heavy bitter moldy horseblanket bitter finish and a subtle pleasant flowery hop kick that appears on the average length finish. Mouthfeel was creamy on a dry finish, medium bodied, fizzy with moderate astringency on the finish and a trace of alcoholic warmth.

Overall, the aroma is pleasant, but the flavor on the follow through is too harsh on the tastebuds and the palate.

10-11-2006 04:18:11 | More by xav33
Nipitato

2.68/5  rDev -27.4%

Purchased a bottle at Downtown Wine and Spirits in Somerville.

A: Deep copper/amber color. Opaque. Weak head and head retention. Quite unpleasant looking for a tripel.

S: Malt derived sweetness is pretty prominent. Muted clove like phenol aroma. Floral hop character is pretty strong.

T: An unbalanced flavor. High bitterness dominates taste. Some clove like character but not enough to provide reasonable balance. Medicinal like alcohol flavor also annoyingly present.

MF: Medium body. Not carbonated enough for a tripel. Some alcohol warming.

D: Much better domestic tripels out there than this offering. Overall disappointing and something I would not purchase again.

04-20-2007 17:16:41 | More by Nipitato
steelerguy

2.73/5  rDev -26%

A - The beer poured a nice deep golden color with a large white head. There was a lot of sediment in the bottle, much more then other triples I have had. The beer was hazy, but very pleasing looking. The head lasted until the end and left some nice lace on the glass.

S - The beer had a nice big smell. As with all triples and strong ales, they look deceptively light but the smell gave this away as a more complex beer. I noticed a slight alcohol smell, which at 9% or so was expected but it was a little strong.

T - When the beer first hit my mouth I thought it had a good taste, although less exciting than I was anticipating. Many Belgian beers, especially the high gravity ones, are very complex but I felt this rang a little shallow. It was not as estery as I was anticipating although there was a little banana in there. Unfortunately, the esters that I was expecting seem to have been replaced with higher alcohols. It finished with a strong astringent flavor that left my mouth puckered. I had hoped I was just not ready for such a high gravity beer on my first sip, but the...to put it mildly...after sip twang remained throughout.

M - The mouthfeel as acceptable, there was a decent amount of carbonation although I think it could have used a little more. I would say it was to style but nothing to knock my socks off.

D - This is where I gave the beer it's lowest score. The scores just kept getting lower as I went down the list and unfortunately, this ended the lowest. Although the beer looks and smells good the taste left something to be desired and when it really comes down to it, enjoying a beer is about taste and Stoudt's falls short on this one.

Overall, I have to say I am disappointed in this beer. If I had just picked it up from the store on a whim I would been only mildly disappointed, but I expected more from Stoudt's. I have really enjoyed some of their other beer's and this one just fell flat for me. I don't know if the recipe needs to be changed, but I think the fermentation process could be improved and they can make a much better Belgian Triple.

05-14-2008 01:00:13 | More by steelerguy

03-02-2013 20:03:14 | More by brez8791
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

poured into a flaired tulip glass from a long neck brown bottle with a crimped on cap.

Slightly cloudy golden color with a 1" creamy with head dissapating very quickly leaving a slight coating constant streams of tiny bubbles rising enough to keep a coating of foam. Says bottle conditioned on label looked to clean with no particles floating around.

Aromas were faint some spice,hints of clove with some yeasty aromas. Clean with some grassiness. The strongest aroma was of rubbing or grain alcohol not totaly overbearing but very pronounced.

Very fruity taste hints of tangerine,a faint belgium spicy yeasy taste,sweet booziness. Finishes dry and tart with some warming effects leaves a citrus rind taste lingering.

Light mouthfeel,juicy,with some grainyness. The alcohol has the sneak up effect kidda kicks in when you least expect it you know it there just don't realize how much. Has some drinkability needs to have more aroma to be more appealing. Just seems a bit lacking overall for a triple.

06-13-2007 03:45:53 | More by jcdiflorio
Zephenbrewid

Serving Type: On-Tap - 5 oz taster

A: translucent yellow, white head, average dissapation

S: citrus, orange is the dominant

T: Raisin like taste faint, bittersweet and somewhat like an orange peel

M: med-light body, alcohol + malt together provide a lingering sticket mouthfeel

D: not the biggest fan of this beer, mostly just because of the alcohol content though

07-08-2007 21:16:53 | More by Zephenbrewid
gfreed

2.85/5  rDev -22.8%

Neither here nor there... this is a Mr. 5 beer that doesn't wow but doesn't disappoint *too* terribly. The unfiltered, pillowy, peachy-iced-tea color is the most attractive thing, but otherwise this is far too muted for a tripel. The aroma and taste that one expects from a tripel-- salty, hammy, funky bread-- are present but they seem unable to escape from the padded bag into which they've been stuffed. You won't have to work very hard to decode this beer. A reasonable intro but not much beyond that.

02-09-2012 13:39:53 | More by gfreed
ommegangpbr

2.85/5  rDev -22.8%

On tap poured into a Three Philosophers chalice at D.B.A. in NYC.
I went back and forth with this one for quite awhile. At times I hated it, at times I kinda liked it. For the most part I found this difficult to drink though it got easier as it warmed.
There was an overly fermented flavor going on... maybe some old blue cheese or old citrus rind. Definately a tart sourness to be found which I wrestled back and forth with; I liked it, I didn't like it, but I kept taking sips.
Definately complex, but overall not in a good way.
Maybe the tapline was dirty? I don't know.
I'd hesitate getting this on tap again (though I recall enjoying it in the bottle).

08-23-2005 07:40:40 | More by ommegangpbr
brentk56

2.98/5  rDev -19.2%

Appearance: Hazy honey colored liquid capped by less than a finger's worth of bubbly foam; not much stickage but rather leggy due to the high alcohol

Smell: Stone fruit and fusel alcohol

Taste: Opens with a stone fruit and pear character that is quickly joined by the fusel alcohol; after the swallow, the alcohol continues to overwhelm but there is a lot of candi sugar sweetness in the aftertaste, as well

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation; considerable warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: Stoudts makes some good beers but this isn't one of them; they are not a brewery noted for the Belgian style and this is a good example for why that is the case; this is overly sweet and hot and lacking in yeasty complexity

01-12-2011 00:59:42 | More by brentk56
jonziefle

2.98/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Poured a honey-colored amber, slightly hazy, with plenty of suspended sediment. Two finger white, foamy head with good retention. Minimal visible carbonation. Some lacing, but not much.

Smell: Mild citrus flavors with cinnamon and banana. Some cider. Fruity yeast esters.

Taste: Strong alcohol and dark fruit hop flavors to start, transitioning into the more mild wheat malts afterwards. Besides having some spiciness, there typical spices don't make themselves known as well in the taste. Some banana makes itself known at the end.

Mouthfeel: Strong alcohol/hop bite to start, with minimal carbonation. Very smooth, but the high ABV has a lingering tingle.

Drinkability: The strong alcohol content is masked in the nose, but comes on strong in the taste. It drowns out the softer characteristics of the style and misses some flavor.

Buy Again? No.

05-02-2010 02:37:36 | More by jonziefle
Neffbeer

11-16-2011 05:25:28 | More by Neffbeer
Stoudt's Triple (Belgian Abbey-Style Ale) from Stoudts Brewing Co.