Stoudt's Triple (Belgian Abbey-Style Ale) - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudt's Triple (Belgian Abbey-Style Ale)Stoudt's Triple (Belgian Abbey-Style Ale)

good

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-24-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stoudt's Triple (Belgian Abbey-Style Ale) Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

A - this tripel pours a dark orange color, with a thin tan head that quickly rims the glass, moderate carbonation is visible

S - a barleywine aroma up front, that typical dark sweetness like molasses, in the background is a nice hoppy smell

T - wow, very well balanced, a cooked pineapple/molasses sweetness followed by that great hoppy bitterness i love

M - very well balanced, but a bit dry

D - moderate drinkability, kinda oversweet

3.58/5  rDev -3%

I don't really know much of anything about this style of beer, other than what I read about it online. I gave it a shot because I like other offerings from this brewery. It's a decent beer. Overall the style is a little out of my realm. But it's a good introduction.

It looks and smells good, hinting at a nice beer. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, like the description says it should be. Taste is pretty good, certainly malty. A bit too sweet for my liking. I get a yeasty taste in this - another mention the book says to look out for. There are flavors here I've never tasted. So I don't know how to describe them. Little to no bitterness to speak of, which raises this in my eyes. Loses something as it warms. Drinkability is average, since I don't see this as a beer you can break out at any given time. Certainly a mood beer. Probably a beer you have one of and then move on to something else.

3.95/5  rDev +7%

The beer reviewed here was cellared for one year. Usually I don't cellar Triples, but this one was a little hot when I bought it so I figured I would see what happens...

The appearance both fresh and cellared is a dark orange. Cellared the head is a little lighter, but is still laces the glass slightly.

The smell is of orange, candi sugar, and overly ripe fruit.

The taste is sweet, and of fruit like orange and very ripe melons. It is much less hot and balanced with a year on it than it was fresh. Much more balanced than I thought it could be.

The mouthfeel is a little syrup like. Not bad, just a little sticky. It's drinkability is a little lower due to it's ABV, and the fact that you have to stick it in a cellar for a year to get this result. Still a little hot and green when fresh, but much better with a little patience.

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

I'm so relieved that Stoudt's are finally bottling their own beers! Not that the contract brewed versions were bad, but they weren't as good as what you could buy in the 750's at the Black Angus. On the other hand, the 12 oz bottles are a little bit different too, but I guess that's to be expected.

The Abbey pours a glowing orange and deep-amber body beneath a short head of thin white that holds fairly well and leaves some nice lace at the outset of the glass.

The nose is spicy, phenolic, and alcoholic against a bright, sweet, candyish malt. There's lots of bubblegum and candy, and it's quite inviting.

It's medium-full bodied with a moderate carbonation level that leaves it smooth and malty in the mouth.

The yeasty spice rides high within the flavor, displaying notes of apple, clove, bubblegum, and rock candy over malty notes of that lead to notes of cake and light sherry. The alcohol is noticeable but not overly intrusive, and its balanced by a low-key bitterness. The clovey spice lingers on the tongue in the very dry (but not very bitter) finish along with some mild hop.

Quite nice! The current version is certainly less yeasty than it used to be; and it seems a little lighter in the flavor with fewer kilned malts. The alcohol could be subdued some as well, but I think that hinders the head retention more than it does the flavor.

4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

$2.30 for a single at Jacks. For some reason, I thought this was a Triple IPA, so imagine my surprise when I smelled it! At any rate, this beer pours out to a beautiful hue of red amber with a ton of finely particulate sediment, forming a small off-beige head with sparse lacing and poor retention. The carbonation is medium, not strong like most triples. The aroma is rich with phenols...spicy with lots of bananas, burnt rubber, cloves. The mouthfeel is actually quite dry for the style with a medium-dense sticky body. The taste is quite interesting...at first it starts like your typical triple with the spicy phenols, but somewhere in the middle I get burnt bananas, like bananas foster with rum and caramel syrup. There is a unique and potent burnt-rubber-mixed-with-black-pepper-kinda-thing going on, and then it becomes swamped in dark roasted wheat husk offset by a peculiarly strong medicinal bitterness...well, strong for the style, at least. Potent ingering notes of seared orange peel in the aftertaste with an orange peel bitterness. Lots of rotting pears and apples in this one with burnt rubber and black marker in the finish. Again, the finish is oddly, yet pleasantly, dry. Alcohol isn't obtrusive to my taste, but percieved by the kick to my cognition and by the warmth in my gullet.

This is a very interesting beer, and I have to say, I've never tasted anything quite like this. The combination of medicinal bitterness, burnt rubber, burnt orange peel, bananas, and roasted wheat husk all contribute to a very odd, but enjoyable brew. As far as triples go, it's far from the style. As far as beer goes...it's pretty damn good. A sipper.

Caramel colored small head remains. Alcohol, sugar, fruit on the nose. Molasses, sugar, plums?...great taste. Mouthfeel is substantial, syrupy. The taste is very candy-like. Smooth and easy to drink for the high alcohol content. This is a definite sipper that is worth a try.

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a chill hazed reddish brown colored beer without much head formation at all.

Smell is sweet and fruity and spicy. Lots of Candi sugar scent here along with a good amount of caramel scent. Fruit aromas of figs, plums and spiced apples. Spicy scents of cinnamon, saffron? and black pepper in the alcohol fumes. Smell a great deal better than it looks.

Tastes sweet and sugary at the beginning. Candi sugar and a little brown sugar mix with a fairly strong hop bitterness for the style. Hops add a woody flavor here as if it has been in an uncharred oak barrel. Spicy flavors of vanilla, cinnamon and black pepper. Caramel is in here too. Fruity flavors of grapes and apples. Hops get astringent after a while.

Mouthfeel is OK.

A drinkable beer yes but far from a great one. Lots of things about this beer are off for the style. It is a bit too hopped up and dark for the style. The hops are astringent in a beer style not noted for that. Mouthfeel is average at best. I just can't see myself buying this wherever I can get a St. Bernardus Triple.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

Bottle dated 2/18/06: Pours a hazy copper color, looks very much like unfiltered apple juice. Mild carbonation with tons of small particles suspended in the glass (i'm assuming that it's yeast sediment, this being a bottle conditioned ale). The aroma is sweet and fruity, some candi sugar, perhaps? Taste is fruity as well, hints of apple, orange peel and (surprisingly) peach. The alcohol is fairly noticeable on the swallow, not overwhelming but it makes its presence felt enough to take a little off the drinkability factor. Average mouthfeel. Overall, a nice warming sipper, I will be picking up more of this very soon!

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into the most goblet-like hotel glass I could find. A dark, woody amber colour, semi-opaque, with a small, white, bubbly head.

Aroma is predominantly fruity: peaches and strawberries, with elements of dried prunes or plums. Some sugary malt, and some definitely alcohol or winey presence.

Taste is very barleywine-ish. Very malty and quite sweet. Rich, dark dried fruits, some fresh bread, and well hidden alcohol once you get past the aroma. The alcohol's definitely there though, evident from the ear-warming sensation I get after a few sips. Dull, lasting aftertaste, decent mouthfeel.

Pleasant, but not stand-out. When a beer's this big, alcohol-wise, I'm looking for something a bit more special.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

12oz purchased at Bello Vino in Ann Arbor and poured into a tulip. Bottled on date of 2/1/06 ink jetted on the neck.

Hazed amber under two fingers of vanilla that shows good retention. Nice thick rings of lace in its wake.

The nose is very yeasty with a strong presence of banana flavored bubblegum. Spicy background with sugars and a trace of lemon zest. I really like the smell of this one, even if it pushes the style limits.

Briefly sweet upfront and then tart and spicy in the middle with the alcohol showing up as peppery and a bit hot. Dry finish with a little pucker. The alcohol is too unrestrained and sets this one off balance.

The mouth is medium with good carbonation and a bit puckery towards the end. I like it.

The booziness of this beer in its current state is a put off. Maybe some time in the cellar can fix that. I really liked the nose.

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%

This beer pours a cloudy orange color with very little head. It smells a bit fruity. The taste is definitely in line with the style, there's no doubt this is a bottle conditioned trippel, but yet something seems a bit lacking compared to the Belgian trippels I've had. I can't quite put my finger on what's lacking, and actually this beer seems to be growing on me. Definitely worth a try, but I'm still kind of up in the air on what I think about this one. I think I might need a couple more to really decide.

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Pours a deep hazy cloudy golden orange hue loaded with suspended particles topped with an instantly settled thin khaki ring.

Doughy scents are met with a slight apple fruit aroma and some muted spice notes.

First swigs: Slight doughy flour evened up with a boozy gin and slight vanilla. Tripel with a raisin and pear twist, sort of. Falls on the side of Westmalle.

Feel is crisp and ginger-ale like medium bodied followed with a clean finish.

Last swigs: Pear fruit noted Tripel. Another winner from Carol & Ed. Glad to have these in 12 oz. instead of the old 750 mL giants. 61/3.68

Beer is good. Happy local tripel beering.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Dark cloudy amber with very little head. Lots of yeast on the bottom....I chose to swirl and add to the chalice.
Smells cidery with a hint of alcohol.
Tastes really good. Sweet apple, clove,banana, bubblegum with a faint hint of hop and a lot of alcohol. I've had this on tap and can't detect any difference....would be perfect for me with just a little less sugar....but really close to perfection for my taste !
Mouthfeel is medium..carbonation is light.
Drinkable ? Why not ? I'm not driving.

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

Pour's a hazy rich copper with a half-inch ivory head. Nice persistent lacing. Smell is very fruity and strongly spicey. Lots of apple and plum aromas and a bit sour smelling. Peppery.

Big powerful flavors in this one. Very pronounced alcohol, spicy (white pepper, paprika, etc), caramel and molssess in the malt. Nice drying hoppiness inthe finish. Quite sticky mouth though with a bit of alcohol in the aftertaste as well. A sipper for sure but a damn interesting one.

3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

This was a pretty good triple. At $9 a six, I cannot complain either. Very fruity, nice carbonation, and sweet finish, in true belgian style. Not overly yeasty. Tangerine type texture to it, very drinkable and very high alcohol content. Nothing offensive about this one. I've now had 2 Stoudt's beers and they've both been excellent.

poured an attractive orange-amber color with only modest white head that quickly fell to a thin ring. Smell is a nice combination of summer fruits, bananas, and yeast. Taste is truly enjoyable with the summer fruitiness and yeast joing together to create a pleasureable drink. Finish is extremely smooth with the candi sugar gining a pleasnt sweet ending. Hard to believe this was 9% alcohol until I checked my spelling in this review. I think its a nice conservative example of this style that gives a goog interpretation without becoming too extreme.

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours dark brown, caramel with not much head. Only a smidgen of carbonation. Moderate lacing. They put it in a pint glass for me, though, was a little offended. Nose is rather lacking, raisiny, bready, malty. Taste is also a bit less than I expected. It's good that you don't taste the alcohol, but the rest is all just toned down as well. Sugary fruits (raisins, etc), malts, all proper components there. Balance was a bit off as well. Too sweet and grainy. Overall, I was not so impressed, but I think that it was partially due to the wrong glassware.

3.55/5  rDev -3.8%

Twelve ounce bottle with "Bottled on 2/xx/05 inkjetted just below the crown. The x represents an unreadable digit.

Pours transluscent dark orange body and rapidly dissapatign collar of thin tan foam. Nose is Belgian...but needs to be coaxed forward although phenols and yeast are present. Lacing left behind on my beer-clean Trappist chalise is slightly above average for the style.

Entry spotlights the tiny-bubbled carbonation with a tongue massage and thick (almost chewy) mouthfeel. Midtaste features a ton of malt and wheat along with candi sugar, allspice, and sugary fruit.

The finish begins with a crisp hop bite followed immediately by Belgian yeast. The fade is enjoyable with juicy ripe fruits play tag with candi sugar and alcoholic phenols. Not so subtle alcohol warming on the back of the throat are noted...especially as this beer warms into the 50's.

I'd love to taste this tripel next to the Aged White Cheddar @ Hollingsheads Deli in Orange.

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a one-finger cream head, that fades to a ring and leaves no lace. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Color is a slightly cloudy amber color. Nose alcohol and raisins. Starts sweet, nice raisiny flavor, finish is warming but the high ABV is hardly noticeable. $2.49 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours clear, orangish with a very small white head that is gone in a flash. Uh-oh.

Smells like candy ... very sweet, sugary orange and clove-like apple pie spiciness. Interesting.

Sweet tasting on the onset, warming immediately, clove and ginger flavors come in, slightly phenolic, and finishing bittersweet. Very nice. What a surprise this was.

Very thick for a tripel, smooth, low carbonation.

Nice beer. I'm not so big on style guidelines as I am on enjoyment, so maybe I ranked the taste too high. Like the man said, I don't know much about art, but ... This one had to convince me it was worthy, and it did. I'll buy some more if I see it.

3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

Ripe kumquat orange with gold bullion edges and a few streams of superfine, slowly rising carbonation. I love the color contrast between the beer and the large, creamy cap of pastel orange-tinted bone white. Although there's more glass visible than lace, the meandering fingers of foam look pretty good.

The nose is decent for the style, no more than that. Since the yeast contributes very little to the aroma, the beer doesn't smell very 'Belgian'. This offering is more fruit-dominant than my favorites of the style, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. When all is said and done, I prefer the spicy, yeastified versions from the Old World. Several more concentrated sniffs bring minor disappointment at the lack of power and complexity.

Stoudt's Triple is an okay ale, even if it doesn't 'sing' like a true Belgian tripel. In fact, it barely even hums. It's modestly malty sweet (what malted red wheat contributes, I have no earthly idea). I'm not impressed by the 'European' hops. They taste overly harsh and astringently bitter to me. On second thought, the harshness is probably coming from the rampant unmasked ethanol.

The thing that keeps this beer from being all that good is the unbridled, sharp-edged, almost antiseptic presence of alcohol. It isn't overwhelming (and I've definitely experienced worse), but it is bothersome and cannot be ignored. If the spicy fruitiness of the first half of each mouthful could be extended, all would be well. The second half and the finish are where things become rough.

The mouthfeel is medium in a general sense and is a shade too light for the style. The words smooth and well-mannered come to mind. It's a shame the flavor couldn't be as civilized as the mouthfeel. Drinkability, needless to say, suffers due to the in-your-face ABV.

Tripel may just be my favorite of the traditional Belgian styles. I've had several excellent versions lately and have been blown away by their combination of power and complexity. Unfortunately, Stoudt's Triple doesn't measure up. It would have been nice to see what it would have tasted like with a few more years of (hopefully) mellowing rest under its belt. Too bad that I chose to open my one and only bottle today.

2.13/5  rDev -42.3%

Appears deep bronze honey color thin white head leaves absolutely no lacing down the chalice seems way undercarbonated. Smells very sweet and boozy at this point I was used to trying Stoudt's Triple when it was effervescent and a bit more refined, some heavy tropical fruit soaked in alcohol tones coming through mild touch of hops evident. Tastes vinous deep rich maltiness some evident bitterness lacks dimensions of a great triple style ale seems to be fruity sweet with alcohol and mild hops not enough layers for me have any Belgian tripel over this brew. Texture was syrupy really needs some work in my opinion, I hope this one is better in the twelve oz. bottles. Drinkability for me was a bit cloying low carbonation needs to have some spritziness to it alcohol really came out in the flavor.

2.38/5  rDev -35.5%

This is a second reviewing. I found this to be drastically different than what I thought last time.

A - A deep clear bronze. Pours up a decent head, no lacing.

S - Strong vinous notes, a bit of cloves. Some caramel malt.

T - First I am hit by a slightly sweet malt flavor. Than a powerful stale bitterness takes over. It lingers long and doesn't do much for me. Not very good at all.

M - Slightly thick, not very refreshing.

D - I don't know what to think. When I first had this beer, it was delicious, sweet and fragrant. Now it something completely different. A real disappointment. I guess that must have just been a better batch or maybe a lot fresher. But I really don't want another.

3.33/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This great looking beer, it pours out a sort of organic copper color. It is partly translucent letting not much more than light pass through. The smell has strong fruit tones and the alcohol is evident even in the aroma. The taste is not bad at all, but it is a bit wimpy, barely there. It tastes mostly clear. For those who didn't want the taste of their beer to interfere with dinner this would be a fine choice but I found it rather boring. Eventually it did grow on me a bit but still ... The mouth feel is extremely light; it just runs down the hatch very quickly leaving little evidence it was ever there (clean finish). While the taste was somewhat simple and straightforward it is incredibly easy to drink. Maybe because it is so light (and easy on the palate) it just keeps going down and what do you know … pow! There is the 9.% alcohol sitting at the bottom of the glass I just felt it :) oops

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

An amber colored beer with an off-white colored head that dissipates quickly. Aromas of bananas, tropical fruit, caramel, and alcohol seem to come out. The taste is similar to the smell with a strong sugar presence that is closely followed by a juicy bitterness. Leaves behind a sweet aftertaste that is enjoyable. Yey another excellent beer from Stoudt's!

Stoudt's Triple (Belgian Abbey-Style Ale) from Stoudts Brewing Co.