Stoudt's Fat Dog Stout - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudt's Fat Dog StoutStoudt's Fat Dog Stout

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Original Fat Dog Stout. No longer brewed.

To review the current version, go here:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /394/20539

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 12-20-2001)

The beer poured pitch black with a barely visible ruby highlight when held to a light source. The head was tan and tall and fell very slowly and laced the glass.

The aroma was roasty chocolate and coffee with a very slight sourness behind. Also present was a fruitiness, namely dark fruits (plums, raisins, prunes) and caramel.

The flavor was dominated by coffee with chocolate far behind. Caramel and dark fruits made up the balance and the slight sourness present in the aroma is also present in the flavor, but does not detract.

The finish was dry with lasting chocolate long into the aftertaste, subtle coffee flavors lingered as well, but they were not pronounced. The body was medium full, not quite full, but well done.

750 ml bottle. Bottled on 9/30/03.

GCBrewingCo, Oct 19, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

I quite enjoyed this stout. Had this on tap and the bartender didn't know much about pouring a pint. (She was a sweetie though) The beer was pitch black. No head, as a result of the pour. The taste was roasty with hints of fruity hops and a bit of espresso character. Mouthfeel was full, with little carbonation. I think this beer would be nice on a nitro tap. Drinkability was good. Definitely a sippin' beer, not a session. Cheers.

Maestro, Oct 03, 2004
3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a deep chestnut brown with maroon and black streaks and an enormous tan head that leaves spotty chunks of foam on the pint.
Aroma is sweet milk chocolate, touch of roasted coffee and a raosted barley note.
Flavors of sweet chocolate, roasted coffee and barley were noted along with some wheat bread and a biscuit twinge. Finishes with a bitter, burnt and oliy hop note.
Mouthfeel is a little thin for a stout but stars sweet and moves to a roasty, charcoal and finishes with a moderate dose of bitterness.
Drinkability is godd. As I stated, maybe a tad too thin for style. May actually qualify as a Porter but pretty tasty either way.

CRJMellor, Sep 27, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +21.6%

I am sampling a chilled big bottle from the brewery, I bought this at the pub about 6 months ago and its been in my fridge since. I pour the brew into a snifter and the color is immediately impressive. A very drak brown pour with no light penetrating. Soft fluffy tan chocolate milk colored head foams up nicely and sticks around a while. Aroma is very appealing, with nice roasted malt scents mixing with chocolate, cocoa powder, and some coffee grinds too. I also get very faint pine hops in the background, but make no mistake this is a malty one first.
First sip reveals a smooth creamy texture very light rolling carbonation. Flavor is all the nose advertises, rich chocolate and roasted flavors explode in my mouth. I get brief hits of piney hops on the swallow as well. A very tasty brew that impressed me immensely. Cant wait for the next trip to PA to get this one again!!

sulldaddy, Sep 05, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

Paid $4.25 direct from Stoudt's Brewery in June '04:

The appearance is pretty much a black base with excellent retention and a bit of lacing as well. The aroma is bold of chocolate and roasted malts...

The taste is very mild for a stout, blended extremely well between the sweetness and the roastness... The mouthfeel wins top honors, this is even smoother than Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout, absolutely incredible mouthfeel! The drinkability is good as well, I drop a few points for the fact that it does its' damage quickly, however I can drink this in a small session if necessary...

Final Thought: The best bottled brew I've had from this fine brewery; luckily they've started distributing out here in Cincinnati, wonderful!

mobyfann, Aug 31, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a jet black color with four heeping fingers of head. There is a good amount of lacing left on the glass. The smell is a base of roasted malt. Some molasses and toffee present. The taste has a little bit of coffee and chocolate under the roasted malt that stands out. The mouthfeel is very thick and heavy, yet smooth on the tongue. The drinkability is good as well. A really nice stout.

SheepNutz, Aug 14, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

fat dog stout has an ebony appearence with a nice chestnut head that retains well through the pint. nice lacing. smell is like french roast coffee with toffee and caramel undertones. taste is slightly sweet with just a slight hop twang. coffee-chocolate malts dominate the taste. medium carbonation for the style. mouthfeel is hearty and heavy. drinkability is good for a few, but i could not drink this all night simply becuase it is so heavy and filling. great to kick off a good session.

ramrod666, Aug 09, 2004
3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

A very dark beer, black and opaque. A huge, thick, rocky brown head lasts forever and leaves a spotty, fine lace.The initial aroma is of a sharp tart lime that changes to melon and fades with a deep mocha and coffee smell.
First taste is of rich caramel that's quickly joined by toffee. Bitter hops and spearmint emerge at mid-taste. Fades as burnt toast and powered cocoa join in. Occasional hints of orange fade in and out. Medium body. Carbonation was a bit too high, masking some of the flavor for the first few sips.
A good beer with some interesting qualities.

dave750, Jul 24, 2004
3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

The beer pours a deep dark black color with a thick frothy brown head that slowly fades. The aroma is good. It has a nice dark malt scent that boasts of black and chocolate malts. It is dry, but very creamy. The taste is decent. It has a smooth and rich chocolate malt flavor with a dry, warm finish. It has complexity, but I'm not sure I'm in love with the flavor. The mouthfeel is decent also. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This could use some extra body . This is a good stout, but it needs more body and less chocolate malts. It still drinks well.

WesWes, Jul 16, 2004
3.88/5  rDev 0%

I own a chocolate lab, and must admit that the picture on the label was one of the determining factors in picking this one up. Turned out to be a good brew though.

Appearance:

Dark ruby red with 1/4 inch head that settles leaving no lace.
Smell:

Roasted coffee beans with a hint of chocolate and smoke.
Taste/Mouthfeel:

Dense on the tongue with bitter coffee flavors and a slightly off sweet finish. No traces of the oatmeal stout promised on the label. An enjoyable stout, but off style.

cbl2, Jul 01, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

I really liked this beer. It poured a midnight borwn in color, with a thin, chocoalte-colored and filmy head. There was stubborn, pretty lace all over the glass. I could smell chocolate as I put it to my mouth. The flavor is strong in chocolate and toffee. The chocolate was like Hershey's Dark Chocolate. I had this beer with my dinner and it was a great compliment.

MuddyFeet, Jun 25, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance: Dark, opaque brown, with a firm, tan head.

Smell: Sour coffee, in the main. It's a smell that I irrationally associate with "green" coffee. I say "irrational" because I've never actually tasted green, unroasted coffee. But my brain insists that unroasted coffee would smell this way. Maybe it was paying attention at some point when I wasn't. There's also a strong malt backbone and hints of camphor.

Taste: There's a great deal going on all at once. The start is mild and creamy, but that quickly gives way to a rolling melee of flavors. Coffee is the strongest, and it's nowhere near as sour as the smell implies. But there's also a noticable caramel presence, some wood-y notes, and a vague fruityness. The finish is mild hop bitterness and more coffee.

Mouthfeel: Straddling the line between "medium-bodied" and "full-bodied." Velvety smooth, moderate bead, moderately carbonated.

Drinkability: Much better than I would have expected from the bouquet. Neither the camphor smell nor the sourness were present in the palate. This is a solid, worthwhile B-list beer.

Afterburner, Jun 03, 2004
3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Very deep blackish-brown in color. Thin little head with no real lacing to be seen.

S: Strong coffee, darkly roasted malts, some nice hints of chocolate.

T: Bitter coffee taste is the first thing I notice. After that taste comes a nice roasted malty taste that lingers. There's a nice bit of sweetness to this.

M: Slick, a bit mouth-coating. Carbonation is just right, and the alcohol is barely noticeable.

D&N: As I have yet to develop a taste for an imperial stout, this beer is quite nicely suited to what I like at this time. This is a big bodied beer that's quite nicely done.

JackTheRipper, May 12, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +14.7%

Aged for a year in a 750ml bottle. Poured into a large snifter style glass. Simply put, this stuff rocks. I think a year's aging has mellowed some of the harsher characteristics of this beer and brought out more of the roasty goodness. Heavy notes of bittersweet chocolate, roasted coffee and a touch of brandy dominate this beer. Its quite rich and full, making consuming an entire 750 by one's self a somewhat daunting task (though not something I'd complain about). I'm glad I had the discipline to put this one away for a year. I may purchase another and age for even longer.

ChrisBowers, Apr 24, 2004
3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

$5.99 for a 750 mL bottle.

This is your very standard stout. Very pretty in the glass, with a large tan head on top of ruby-hinted blackness. Not a very heavy mouthfeel, very bitter. Chocolate, coffee and charcoal in the taste. Very little sweetness, very little hops. Pretty much what a stout should be. I liked it quite a bit, but wouldn't get it again.

benmiliron, Apr 02, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Dark ruby almost black full tan head leaves some partial uneven lacing behind. Aroma: Dark roasts and chocolate malts carry the primary components of the scent soft sweetness with a nice roasty creaminess. Taste: Stout on the sweeter side, nice lucious layers of milk chocolate with fruity undertones and a mild moccha accent. Mouthfeel: Medium-full bodied beer even carbonation smooth on the palate going down. Drinkability: I could have a few of these, very nice solid stout the kind I really dig.

WVbeergeek, Mar 30, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottled: 9/30/03
Poured an opaque black in color with a medium sized tan head that rose from the bottom. Not much lacing. Smell is chocolate and caramel and maybe some roastiness. The taste hits me immediately with the chocolate/coffee mixture that I have come to love in stouts. But the flavor goes way beyond that. Creamy in the middle along with a lactic astringency that almost fits the beer (if that's possible). Finish is very bittersweet from the chocolate flavor. Body is a little inconsistent and the flavors sometimes seem out of place, but all in all this is a very good stout that I could drink all night long.

granger10, Feb 20, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours an opaque black with a thick (2 inch) rich brown head. Smell is malty and chocolatey, lightly bitter.

Tastes of coffee and chocolate. Creamy too, like a latte. Sweet dark chocolate versus bitter chocolate that you get from many stouts. Lightly oaty. Full bodied with sweet chocolate mocha aftertaste. Very smooth and drinkable for a big flavorful stout. Very pleasant drinking experience.

ViveLaChouffe, Feb 05, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

765ml capped bottle. Vintage Date 4/3/03Pour was overcarbonated. Almost all foam in the first glass. This happened with the IPA as I recall also. Once it settled down it left a normal size tan head on top of adark black body. Aroma is chocolate and soft with a detectable hop presence and a seltzer like note from the carbonation I guess. Body was medium to full and creamy but overcarbonated. Flavor has good chocolate notes but not much else outstanding. Finish is slightly dry. I'd like to try a better sample one day.

BierReise, Feb 03, 2004
3.35/5  rDev -13.7%

This beer pours a black color with a moderately sized tan head and leaves very little lacing on the glass. The aroma isn't very strong, but there is some chocolate, coffee, and malt in there. The flavor was very common for a stout - chocolate with coffee and dark malts, but had a small bit of hops too. Pretty good stout.

clvand0, Jan 27, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a two-fingered light brown cream head that goes quickly and leaves little lace. Black as ink. Light-medium carbonation. Malty, chocolately nose. Heavy bodied. Starts and finishes with a chocolate taste. Smooth, easy beer. $6.00 for a 765ml bottle (yes I thought this was a 750 but the math says otherwise).

jdhilt, Jan 26, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Served on cask, in a pint glass, at Sharp Edge Beer Emporium. The color was a very dark brown, with a creamy tan head with nice retention. The smell was a slight roastiness. The taste was a nice almost lactose bitterness. Mouthfeel was average. Drinkability-wise, could have a few.

Not a bad offering from Stoudt's. I thought this was a milk stout when I first had it, but could have been the cask itself. Quite good, and one I'd have in the future, especially when they start coming in 12 oz. bottles.

beergeek279, Jan 25, 2004
3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

I was excited to find a 750ml of Stoudt's because I have been unimpressed with the 12oz bottling and was told that the 750's were the way to go. Well, it's just not for me I guess. I'm just really getting into Stout's and maybe I don't have the experience in tasting these but this one just didn't work for me ---- the color was your typical coal black, with a slight dark brown tinge and a medium tan head which dissipated quickly and left little lacing. The smell had hints of Chocolate and dark ripe fruit, but nothing outstanding or memorable. The taste was dry, a bit bland and watery with little to no carbonation ---- it could have used more to add some life to the drink. The mouthfeel was forgettable and I had to move on to something else quickly after giving this a shot. Like I said, I'm new to Stout's but this doesn't come close to Storm King or even Love Stout which I see as a standard, very drinkable decent stout. The "born on date" was unreadable so I'm thinking maybe I had a batch that was too old (or too young) but I don't think I'll spend any more money on Stoudt's until I can drink it at their brewery --- something's going on with their bottling and I really want to give them a chance, but I'm not impressed so far.

Gasp100, Jan 23, 2004
3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

Tasted 12/23/03 from a bottle labeled "Bottled 12/23/02." We'll see what a year in the bottle has done to this conditioned stout. Pours india-ink black with no highlights. Small head less than one finger deep fades to pretty much nothing; only a viscous deep beige film stretches over top of beer. Aroma is light and bordering on thinnish; includes medium-bodied coffee and chocolate malt in the main body with overtones of burnt popcorn or toast, and a bit of hop sharpness hinting at tree bark... even soy sauce, but not unpleasantly so. Deep roasty, husky taste; smoke flavor more comparable to tobacco or leather than peat. Slight, dusty hop/yeast kick at edges of mouth with a dash of pepper suggesting more cocoa than chocolate. Very lingering bitter coffee flavor with very faint cola flavors in back palate. The flavors are enjoyable in and of themselves, however, I feel they lack the dynamics of a more assertive (esp. "Imperial") stout. Mouthfeel is a bit thin methinks. Flavor lingers; mid-drink is smooth but again, I would prefer for the flavors to extend further, well-melded as they are. Still, I find this to be more of a sippin' beer than a real drinker. Hmm. I might buy again.

NearerMyBeerToMe, Dec 30, 2003
3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

It pours a tar pitch black with a big fizzy head and almost no lace. The aroma, unlike most stouts, is yeasty, hoppy with a whiff of fresh bread. Smoky and a bit watery, the malt holds some coffee and dark chocolate qualities. The hop flavors are difficult to identify, due to an overwhelmingly spritzy effervescence. There is some citrus bitterness and a bit of metallic tang, I think. Maybe bottle-conditioned stouts aren't such a good idea, unless steps are taken to reduce the seltzer effect.

BeerResearcher, Dec 08, 2003
Stoudt's Fat Dog Stout from Stoudts Brewing Co.