2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stoudt's Barrel Aged Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudt's Barrel Aged  Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)Stoudt's Barrel Aged  Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Phatz on 12-18-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 60 | Reviews: 54 | Show All Ratings:
stakem

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to ClockworkOrange for sharing this brew on 1/22/11.

2007 offering poured into a snifter, this brew appears black in color with clarity and lighter brown around the edges. Dark tan to brown head composed of big bubbly foam hangs close to the edges of the glass. Lengthy strings of lace cling to the glass.

The aroma of this brew smells of whiskey and vanilla. I love that character that a barrel can impart when it's done correctly. Smooth scents of alcohol mix with a grainy scent which imparts chocolate and some oat sweetness to the nose.

Tastes of whiskey accented alcohol, citrus hops, roasty grain that imparts chocolate flavors through the body. A light bitterness from the hops is present beyond the bitterness imparted by the dark grain character. Overall pretty good. I enjoy normal fat dog and this barrel treatment is even better.

Medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. Prickly on the tongue. Excessively drinkable and well rounded. The alcohol was readily noticeable but never hindered the experience, just accented it the way that barrel aging should. Hope to see this brew make anyone back one day.

02-04-2011 20:46:40 | More by stakem
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Shared by Azurelimits at my tasting on August 7, 2010. Thanks Pete!

Vintage 2005

This beer appears a very dark brown color, but certainly not black. A smallish tan head camps out upon the beer for a few moments before leaving a small trace of lacing in its wake. Aromas include chocolate, roasted malt, alcohol. The taste is nice, with a nice flavor from the oatmeal. Oats + stout = I like. The beer was really smooth and mellow, having been cellared for five years. Whiskey flavors were definitely present, but the heat was tamed by time. A really nice, unexpected treat. If it wasn't retired, I'd acquire a few bottles.

08-20-2010 01:12:56 | More by Huhzubendah
drabmuh

Maryland

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle shared by Azurelimits, thanks Pete. Beer poured into a snifter. I didn't even know this beer existed. Kind of cool. Beer is black and has a thin broken head of brown small bubbles that doesn't leave lacing on my glass. It appears that the carbonation is low. I don't know the vintage of this beer unfortunately as I did not write it down.

Aroma is an appropriate volume and its mostly whiskey and some sweetness from the malt. Minimal roast.

This is one of the smoothest beers I've ever had. Now I'm really curious how long this has been sitting. Beer finishes cleanly but isn't dry, no aftertaste. Some sweetness up front gives way to a nice, almost coconut, liquor flavor in the midpalate that carries you through to some minimal roasty bitterness in the back. Beer is quite mellow and very drinkable.

08-11-2010 18:33:20 | More by drabmuh
ktrillionaire

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

I have never seen a cork that was this hard to remove. We had to tie it to the bumper of my friends 4x4 to get it out. Well, not really, but it was almost that hard...

A - Stout. Some tan-mocha head, some lace.

S - Too oat-y, even with the barrel treatment. Just roasty, oat-y and boozy. It is possible that the barrel exacerbated lesser characteristics of this brew and negated the greater.

T - Perhaps it was because I had this side-by-side with BA Blackbeerd that I am so underwhelmed. It is just second-tier, at best. Basically, roasted malt, chalky oat, and booze, combine to form a brew that is a cut above decent.

M - Stout. Full-bodied and viscous, but not particularly outstanding.

D - This was a decent brew. Actually, a little better than that. But I suspect most would expect a very good or great beer, just as I did, given the speciality and barrel aging of this one.

07-18-2010 18:13:49 | More by ktrillionaire
urwithdave

Thanks to Sean for sharing this one at the 110k release.

A- pours balck in color with shades of brown when held to the light. A 1 finger tan head. The head disappears and leaves a thin ring. Some spotty lacing left.

A- roasted malts and dark chocolate. Not a lot going on.

T- Semi-sweet dark chocolate chips comes to mind. The malts are robust. There is a bit of char presence. Some wood. The bourbon is blended nicely and doesn't overpower the other flavors.

M- nice and smooth. On the fuller side of medium in body.

D- pretty tastey. I could have killed the bottle without hesitation. Thanks again Sean!

06-08-2010 16:33:17 | More by urwithdave
woosterbill

Connecticut

3.18/5  rDev -25%

750ml bottle into a mini-nonic; shared at a tasting.

A: Solidly black body with an inch of creamy tan head. Good retention and strong lacing. Very nice.

S: Mild aromas of sweet malts (chocolate and caramel), with some alcohol as well. Meh.

T: Tons of caramel sweetness, and not much else. Not very roasty, no barrel influence to speak of, and simply nothing to praise. Not bad, but thoroughly boring.

M: Surprisingly thin with relatively low carbonation.

D: Easy enough to drink, but why would you want to?

Notes: Perhaps I would have liked this one more in isolation, but it was by far the worst of the BA stouts at the tasting. There's just nothing much going on, and it's a shame. I was surprised to see how high its average score was on here, but I guess some people just love anything that claims to have been in a barrel at some point. Compared to most other barrel aged stouts I've had, Fat Dog was bland and forgettable. Thanks, Tony, for the chance to find this out.

Cheers!

06-08-2010 12:48:10 | More by woosterbill
rfgetz

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

A cask of Barrel Aged Fat Dog was available at the Yards Real Ale Invitational on March 21, 2010...

Dark, near black in color, minimal head from the cask pour. Smell is of dark roasted grain with just hints of everything from chocolate, coffee, cream, cinnamon, vanilla, booze and dark dried fruit. Would love if the scent was more aggressive. Taste is a little bolder then scent dictates, once again, the dark roasted malts are the highlight with dark dried fruit notes fairly aggressive as well. Other flavors mentioned in scent are also present such as chocolate, coffee, cream, brown sugar, cinamon and vanilla. The burbony booze is there, but not too aggressive, but that can be a good thing. Full bodied, creamy, slightly dry finnish. ABVs hidden well. The barrel aging really didnt do a ton for this beer as i had hoped, but its still a great beer.

Serving type: cask

03-26-2010 14:37:11 | More by rfgetz
nickd717

3.73/5  rDev -12%

765ml bottle shared thanks to - oh, what do you know, it was me. Thanks, Nick. You are the man! Keep it up! I very generously shared this with Arbitrator, who gave it a C+ the first time - a pretty good score for him.

This beer really looks great in the glass. Darkest brown (just a shade short of black) in color with a large, lasting tan head and very good lacing.

Aroma is roast, chocolate, wood, and whiskey. Fairly simple, not amazing.

Flavor is mainly roast, chocolate, and oak. The whiskey doesn't really assert itself as much as it does in other whiskey -bal aged stouts. I disagree with Arby's review below on this point. There is also an odd hint of tartness to it. But hey, at least it's not a booze bomb.

Medium-full bodied with a very smooth mouthfeel and average carbonation for the style.

Drinkability is good for an imperial stout. Good but not great overall. Grows on you a bit.

01-25-2010 17:56:17 | More by nickd717
Arbitrator

2.65/5  rDev -37.5%

EDIT: downgraded after a second sharing by nickd717. Thanks, Nick. But I firmly maintain that this is a lot of whiskey.

---

Chilled bottle into a glass. Donated by cpferris for a tasting at ipa247's house in December. Thanks, Chad and Jeff.

From notes.

A: Pours a clear, but very dark, reddish brown body. Half a finger of light beige head. Short retention, with a thin collar and some bubbles on top.

S: Whiskey... Wow. It's like the glass is 2/3 spirits with a little beer. Caramel, tannins, vanilla. I enjoy whiskey, but I prefer more balance in my beers, and this doesn't deliver.

T: Whiskey (strong), caramel, tannins, vanilla. Nice grainy oatmeal in the mid-taste, with some raisin highlights. Chocolate in the finish. But again, it's BIG on the whiskey. Can't say that's particularly a great thing.

M: Very viscous, pretty smooth. I had no trouble putting this down, as the heat was restrained.

D: For a whiskey-bomb I'd go straight to this. But, as said above, I like my beers with more balance and nuance and subtlety. While I wouldn't turn this beer down, I wouldn't chase it down for myself. Out of all the barrel-aged impy stouts I've tried, this doesn't distinguish itself as being particularly top-tier.

01-17-2010 08:25:40 | More by Arbitrator
rudylaw

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Colossal thanks to ericwo for tossing a couple of these my way! Served in a chalice on Xmas Eve.

Pours an inky black with a thin, off white head.

Nice amount of bourbon, chocolate and vanilla in the snout. Mabye some char as well.

Mmmm. Tastes like a chocolate brownie! The darker, harder corners that are just about to burn. The barrel aging makes this thing so damn smooth as well. Unbelievably silky mouthfeel.

The drinkability is off the charts for a big beer such as this. A good dessert beer for sure, but this sucker will work for me any time, any place. I'm looking forward to sitting on my other bottle another year and seeing how it progresses!

12-25-2009 04:16:24 | More by rudylaw
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 received a long while back from the insurmountable trader DIM... I've been sitting on this for too long and after a well placed beermail from Dan, I decided tonight was the night.

"A place for everything and everything in its place," comes to mind.

A fairly vigorous pour produced a simply stunning 3 finger creamy brown head... great retention and lacing.. the brew is pretty much black...

Aromas are a very complex and somehow forgiving and well melded. chocolate fudge and hints of good Kentucky whiskey... not as roasty as many big hyped barrel aged stouts... there is no char to be found ... this just is soooo close to perfect.

flavors mesh as well as the nose... chocolate and vanilla from the barrel and bourbon.... some cherry essence that adds well to the overall brew.. This beer is a lesson on restraint and how things can be done extremely well without using 20 malts or 4 different barrels.

The body seems a bit lite.. but I can overlook generally... really it adds to the overall drinkablity.

Thanks a ton Dan!! DIM is a trader that should be considered a friend and not just a contact... I appreciate it a bunch buddy.

Now I just need to figure when to drink my other bottle ;-)

I had this a while back at a combined RB/BA tasting here in Boise and really enjoyed it then too.

4.5/4.5/4.5/4/4.5

12-16-2009 07:51:21 | More by JohnGalt1
Reagan1984

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

Special Thanks to Gibby for providing this in trade earlier this year.

A couple of fingers of light tan head form. Mostly foamy and not quite creamy. Begins to slowly settle immediately. Dark brown with some ruby tones around the edges. Looks like it pours a little thin. Some clinging lacing remains.

The aroma is quite bold and of vanilla, a touch of mustiness and some sweetness.

Quite chocolaty out of the shoot. Then there is a balance between coconut and vanilla. The flavor is circular in that it comes back to the initial chocolate flavor at the end. The aftertaste is all chocolate, specifically chocolate syrup. Nice flavor... Only one thing is holding this beer back..

And that's the body... Just too thin for the flavor profile. It's been a while since I've had a regular Fat Dog, but this seems thinner than I remember the standard edition.

I am torn on this beer.. I love the flavor and am disappointed in the body.. This does affect the drinkability for me. I want to rave about it, but this is holding me back.

Bottom line, still an awesome beer. If this had the right body, it could have been epic.

11-26-2009 02:43:10 | More by Reagan1984
mikey711

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I received this one from a great BA, gibby!
Poured it into a snifter and plan on continuously enjoying this one throughout the night.

A: Black as black can be with a tan head that was one finger thick and disappated to thick ring after about a minute.

S: Sweet smelling chocolate notes that a very pungent. No whiskey or wood notes.

T: A big RIS with thick chocolate notes that finished with a very pleasant and subtle roasty note with some vanilla from the oak and whiskey. Deeper than that there is some brown sugar/moslasses sweetness and a touch of fruitiness.

M: I was expecting there to be some chalkiness, but was amazed by how creamy and smooth this beer is.

D: Surprisingly easy to drink this one. Heavy on flavor but not overwhelming at all

10-06-2009 21:30:13 | More by mikey711
BitterPachyderm

Indiana

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

The epic (for me at least) fiftieth review here on BA...and for an epic review, I felt that I needed an even more epic beer. So I decided to go with this sweet little gem of a brew that I received from Dana Tayner through a charitable donation. I had heard that it was peaking, and I guess I had decided that I couldn't really hold on to it much longer. 750 ml corked and caged bottle into an oversized wine glass...just a warning, this cork was probably the most stubborn cork I have ever seen. It took me roughly fifteen minutes to work it out of the bottle. And once it releases from the bottle, you better have a tight grip on it, because this bad boy is CARBONATED!

The body was a bit more transparent than I was expecting. It was a dark brown, with loads of ruby highlights throughout. Lots of lively carbonation that helps to produce a large four finger head. It's a nice frothy toffee colored head with excellent retention and sticky lacing.

Litht notes of coffee and dark fruits with some bittersweet chocolates coming through. Muted notes of bourbon and molasses, dominated by raisins and vanilla. I could have smelled this brew for five hours, and still picked out new aromas...it was THAT complex!

Sweet and malty chocolates with some dark fruit dropping into a bittersweet finish. Whiskey is there, but it's been aged out and replaced with strong wood aged notes...a bit bourbony at times, but a sweet bourbon, not an alcohol infused bourbon. Very smokey, midpalate, with lots of raisins and molasses. Let your nose follow the smell, and it will taste just as it smells.

The body was a bit thin for an impy stout, but the carbonation was able to hold it up.

The alcohol is muted by all of the complex flavors, but it is there. One bottle is enough, but it goes down so smooth.

I won't lie...with the whiskey almost completely burnt out, this beer is at it's peak. But I do think that it can peak for at least another year if cellared properly. This beer was definitely held up by the barrel aging, and could probably be one of the better barrel aged stouts. It's definitely one of the best impy stouts (barrel aged or not) that I have ever had...and I think I will be hard pressed to find another one that compares let alone comes close. An amazing brew from Stoudt's, that I wish wasn't retired.

I will be on the search for a couple more bottles before the year is up...

06-29-2009 21:09:53 | More by BitterPachyderm
bennetj17

Arizona

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this 750ml bottle over 2 years ago in a trade with Beerbeing.

Dark black, but not massively thick looking. Decent tan foam that never fully dissipates. Moderate carbonation. Smells like it a has a touch of age, I get a hint of roast, some light alcoholic sweetness, almost fruity, with some chcolate notes.

The taste is very well-rounded. Quite mellow due to age. The flavor has alot of semi-sweet chocolate character, mildly dry. Light bitterness at the finish. Nothing too intense. There is a good hint of the whisky barrel in the flavor but thankfully the alcohol is well hidden. It goes down quite easily for 9% ABV. The body is not real thick/chewy. It's very smooth with a light creaminess. It stayed well-carbonated.

Very pleased with this beer, I was a little concerned I had held onto this too long before opening, but it turned out alright. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer. Hope to try this again if they make it...

04-11-2009 23:29:05 | More by bennetj17
joepais

Maine

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Another brew I have to thank Dim for. The bottle poured into a dogfish head snifter. It produced a two finger worth of tan head that settled to a thick lace. The body of the brew was black as night no light coming through at all.

This brew smell fantastic bourbon, chocolate and coffee are some of the many aromas'. That is just a start; some dark fruit vanilla and a slight earthiness are also present

The flavor is really mellow nice grain sweetness, chocolate, vanilla, coffee among others. The feel is great in the mouth with ample carbonation. The regular fat dog is a favorite of mine and this just takes those flavors to a whole new level

Great drinkability I am enjoying every drop I might even shed a tear when it gone. It was truly a treat to have this one thanks again Dim

03-06-2009 02:33:24 | More by joepais
DrJay

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%

Enjoyed on New Year's Eve, 2008. Bottle courtesy of todd1. Thanks!
Pretty much black in colour with faint brown edges. It had a thick tan cap that showed great head retention and a bit of sticky lace. Rich toffee aroma, lots of roast and chocolate, nutty, vanilla and milk chocolate, with a hint of dark fruit and light whiskey. Bitterness was subdued. Lots of fruit and chocolate in the flavour, along with toffee, vanilla, light booziness, and some peppery spice in the finish. Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Some warmth and a bit dry from the dark malts. The barrel character was lighter than I expected, but still nice. It smelled great. Pretty smooth and an easy drinking big stout.

01-25-2009 00:16:27 | More by DrJay
Slatetank

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I poured the 765ml bottle chilled into 2goblets. The bottle was purchased from the brewery over a year ago and kept refrigerated.

A - Pours a beautiful ebony blocking out all light w/ a thick creamy ecru head of 2 fingers which appears smooth like a ramekin of creme brulee on top. The cap begins clinging to the glass in a film like coating thick and becomes ring-like.The head holds strong the whole time

S - dark fruit, very subtle cocoa w/ a hint of alcohol in the nose-mild vanilla and toasted wood notes. The odor has hints of piney hop aromas

M - A rich and thick, roasty start...creamy and alcohol tinged middle and dry spicy semi sweet whiskey tinged finish

T - Sweet and cocoa tasting w/ dry and powdery notes that lead into a taste of whiskey w/ drying flavor -spicey vanilla and caramel flavor w/ a raisin-like sweet/thick fruity flavor. The taste of English hops that are woody or are the flavors more barrel-like oaky? Possibly both, there is a truffle similarity w/ candy taste w/ chocolate malt and cherry notes and slight pine tastes. There is a twiggy crisp taste that gives this a slightly edgier and less creamy and oatmeal tasting stout than the original. I like the barrel's effect that gives this big Stoudt beer-(pun intended) a slightly bitter and blackberry and coffee flavor emreges as it warms to cellar temperature.

D - A great stout, but not the most quaffable barrel-aged beer ever...I love how it has metamorphosed w/ the barrel really becoming a flavor component instead of just an "icing" on the cake. This beer should be released more often -it is an excellent example of the best Stoudt's has to offer.

01-16-2009 22:41:17 | More by Slatetank
AltBock

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

765 ml corked and caged bottle with a larger Fat Dog label. The differences between this and regular version is that it's bigger (obviously!)and the big time words "Aged in a Whiskey Barrel" above the dog's body. That is one big dog on the label! It has to be a Mastiff of some sort. It looks like this dog could eat a 7 ft 250 lb male and ask for seconds later. A vintage year on the bottle would have been nice of Stoudt's to do, but they didn't mark the bottle with anything. All I know that this is late 2008 version. How do I know? Well, that's when I bought at the brewery.

Appearance: I poured this barrel aged Stout into my Maudite Snifter. It seemed fitting for this beer. With a loud pop from the cork, out comes a Stout that was black as tar and just as thick as a heavily roasted coffee. It wasn't quite thick as oil, but it was getting there. It had one of those solid black colors where light just bounced off of it. Sitting on top of this black as night liquid was a good 1 inch creamy light tan colored head of foam. This creamy tan colored head of foam had great slow retention that left behind a 1/2 an inch long lasting tan film, spots of lace, and even small streaks of lace. It couldn't decide what to leave behind so it left behind both kinds of lace.

Smell: At first, I didn't care all that much for the aroma. All I got at first was a little dark roasted malts, a hint of dark roasted coffee beans, and a subtle touch of bourbon. It's a different story when this beer is swirled around. When it was swirled around, the first 3 aroma where still there, but enhanced. Besides those three, there was also bitter dark chocolate, a splash of charred oak, a whiff of black cherries, the scent of chocolate covered bananas, and a subtle bitterness at the end. What kind of hop bitterness? I couldn't tell because the hops were too subtle. The bourbon and the oak were not let to run wild and free. Hell, nothing was running wild and free. Every aroma was almost the same size. Well, everything except for the black cherry and hops. You don't get much for those two.

Taste: Barrel Aged Fat Dog started off lightly dry and roasted and then it ends with a big bourbon finish. Let me explain the taste in greater detail. The taste kicked off with dark roasted malts, a drop of roasted coffee beans, a hint of lightly bitter dark chocolate, and a splash of charred oak. That was fine and dandy like sour candy, but it was after the charred oak where the beer got really interesting. It's just too bad that it was at the end of the taste and not at the beginning. This beer finishes up with a big bourbon/bitter combo. The hops weren't getting any play time, so they jumped on the bourbon band wagon and aligned itself with the bourbon. Not the most thick and roasted Barrel Aged Stout out there today. The level of bourbon and oak were just fine, but to me it would have been better if they would have increased the strength of some of the dark roasted flavors. Some of them like the roasted coffee beans were too small of a taste.

Mouthfeel: Despite this beer being an Imperial Stout aged in Whiskey barrels, it was mover over the medium bodied side than the full bodied side. It must have been the lack of effort coming from the dark roasted flavors that caused that. The aftertaste to this Imperial Stout was weak. There wasn't much of anything coming from the aftertaste. The aftertaste was lightly roasted with roasted malts, dried black cherries, a pinch of roasted coffee beans, a hint of dark chocolate, and plenty of bourbon. The bourbon was the only taste that bothered to stick around. It stuck around for a few seconds and then that was the end of this beer.

Drinkability: I went over my past reviews and it seems that I enjoyed the regular Fat Dog on draft than the barrel aged version in a bottle. The regular version was thick and chewy and it tasted like the barrel aged version took away some of roasted flavors and replaced them with a little oak and bourbon. If you can get this beer it's worth a shot, but if you can't, the regular version will do just fine. Just replace some the roasted flavors with a a little oak and bourbon.

01-11-2009 20:29:09 | More by AltBock
adamdotson

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Yo. This is tasty smelling. ABout 3-4 years old. Nice looking although not as nice looking as it is smelling. Dark brown with a tan head.

Aroma:I first smelled a light toasty oatmeal smell and vannila coffee. The next sniff I smelled an oaky chocolate smell. Not overly bourbony. Balanced. Some sweet fruitiness to the nose as well. Something almost like plum wine as well.

Taste:The roast is more subdued than I expected. Dark chocolate. Slightly basementy. I mean that in a positive light. I'm tasting a raisiny flavor as well like in a quad. The finish has such an awesome bitter chocalate flavor that squeezes the sides of my tounge nicely.

Lighter mouth feel than a lot of other oaked imperial stouts. Lower carbonation.

Nice and drinkable relative to the style. Very smooth as well. Vary rock and roll beer.

01-05-2009 08:21:51 | More by adamdotson
ChrisDotson

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

750 ml bottle from the Brewery poured into giant Dogfish snifter at 60 degrees

Appearance: Color very dark brown & Opaque. Deep tan and well-formed head with moderately high head retention for style. 9% visible in "legs" when beer is swirled in a glass.

Aroma: Complex roasted Grains (Chocolate and some coffee), maltiness, Oatmeal, fruity esters (Raisins), mild hop character, and some vanilla bourbon alcohol. Rich malt aroma with almost barleywine-like character fading into a slight sherry kiss

Flavor: Rich, deep, roasted vanilla bean coffee. GOODNESS GRACIOUS. A nice plum and raisony character folds into a coffee and chocolate bath and on the afterswallow there is a nice warming. even a hint of smokiness. There is lots going on in this beer. Perfect fermentation as there are no fusyls or anything solventy at all.

Mouthfeel: Chewy, with a velvety, luscious feel perhaps subdued some due to the age. Gentle smooth warmth from alcohol. Carbonation is very low do to conditioning but i don't mind at all

Overall Impression: An intensely flavored, complex bourbon imperial oatmeal stout. Overall a complex stout with lots of layers. If you are just looking for a stout that tastes like it has whisky poured in it, then this is not your beer. (Go to kkipples House and he will make you an Old Chubbourbon) This tastes like a Fat Dog with an extra layer or 2

01-05-2009 08:12:08 | More by ChrisDotson
badbeer

Iowa

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Black with a beige head that had amazing retention and lacing. Smell was of oak, vanilla, cream, and dark chocolate. Taste was whiskey and oak flavored with some smoke and coffee. Very smooth tasting barrel aged beer. Body and carbonation are both medium. As previously mentioned, this was very smooth, I'd drink this again. Thanks to iowaherkeye for sharing.

01-03-2009 04:16:04 | More by badbeer
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

750 ml bottle, opened by the grubmeister.

Pours a opaque dark brownish red, some burgundy highlights, thick light brown head forms, forms a solid layer on the glass, really thick and leaves a nice crown of lacing; Smell is chocolate and caramel, some biscuit, light oak and vanilla barrel character, sweet, some alcohol, not too complex. Taste is some caramel and roast, decent vanilla and chocolate, dark fruits, a lot of raisin and figs, more vanilla, some whiskey and roast, very dry and biscuity in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to miedium carbonation. A nice beer, but not much else happening, decent for the drinking but otherwise unremarkable, and the whiskey character is not very present. Thanks grub!

01-01-2009 06:21:21 | More by Viggo
grub

Ontario (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

got this one in a trade with leftmindedrighty earlier this year. thanks aaron!

750ml bottle, corked and caged. sampled dec 31/08.

pours deep brown, nearly black, with a big dense brown head. the head drops slowly and leaves tons of lace behind.

aroma is great. vanilla and bourbon. milk and dark chocolate. bit of coffee. toasted multi-grain bread. biscuit. bit of cracker. light alcohol. earthy. bit of anise. light roast. a hint of dark fruit too.

taste is good. bourbon and vanilla. bit of raw oak. biscuit and wheat bread. bit of cracker. light alcohol. anise. dark and milk chocolate. bit of coffee. just a touch of fruity character. pretty much a decent stout with a nice bourbon barrel character added.

mouthfeel is good. nice big body. medium carbonation level.

drinkability is good. good balance in general, and a good balance between the barrel and the base beer. quite tasty overall and a beer i'd be happy to have again. thanks aaron!

01-01-2009 06:20:25 | More by grub
drseamus

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Very dark black with a very ample mocha head. I was surprised at the amount of head from an aged bottle.

S: Great aroma. There is a bunch of oak in there with the accompaning vanilla, but it is all in check. It adds a nice sweetness.

T: Mmm. The oak is much more subdued in the flavor. There is a good bit of chocolate.

M: SMOOTH!! Amazing smoothness for a decent abv beer with oak aging. Simply amazing.

D: Damn. This is even better than regular Fat Dog, and that is damn good.

11-24-2008 02:33:39 | More by drseamus
Stoudt's Barrel Aged Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) from Stoudts Brewing Co.