Stoudt's Barrel Aged Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudt's Barrel Aged  Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)Stoudt's Barrel Aged  Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Phatz on 12-18-2006)

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

I drank this brew at cellar temp poured into a snifter. the beer pours pitch black with soft fluffy tan head of 3.5 cm foaming up easily and hanging around throughout sampling. Aroma is sweet cocoa and a bit of roasted malt with a bit of vanilla and bourbon and some oak as well. Bourbon is very mild unlike some barrel aged stuff. First sip reveals a smooth texture and fairly thick bogy with very fine and tingly carbonation. Flavor is similar to nose with sweet chocolate and brown sugar mixing with bourbon and a bit of warming booze at the finish. The bourbon flavor is more pronounced than the nose and lingers. Not a problem to drink this ultra smooth and tasty beer. Would definitely sneak up on you after a few pints. Very nice beer!

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

750 ml corked and caged bottle acquired in a trade with mymrngjckt, thanks for giving me the opportunity to try this beer, split with my girlfriend last night during the Kansas and North Carolina basketball game, poured into my Dogfish Head snifter

A-Looked black at first but saw through it with some red highlights towards the top when I held it up to the light, 1 1/3 inch bubbly and creamy light tan head that stuck around for close to five minutes, nice retention, some lacing at the beginning

S-Bourbon was not overpowering and added something special to the aroma, smell was subtle but quite nice overall with sweet and roasted accents, got some nice coffee, sugary cream, faint vanilla, lots of milk chocolate, oak, and toffee

T-Taste started off rather roasty with burned malts and barley, only a little bourbon was in the aftertaste, once it warmed the complexities started to show, whiskey hit you first, then some sweeter dark chocolate and vanilla in the middle, aftertaste was a little spicy but not hot or boozy by any means, the bourbon smoothed this stout out and gave it a nice thin but complex flavor, coffee and sweet cream came out later on, by the end there was lots of sweetness mixed with the whiskey which was quite good, really easy to drink and no flavor was overwhelming

M-Sweet, spicy, warming, gentle, and roasty mouthfeel, all changes as the liquid warms, nice level of carbonation, body was pretty thin for an imperial stout, taste lingered which allowed to take my time and enjoy it, alcohol is not hot at all but does warm going down

D-Could have easily drank this whole bottle by myself even if it did take a couple hours, certainly a sipper but not as heavy as other beers of its kind, ABV is high but could be worse as well, incredibly smooth, alcohol is hidden nicely other than whiskey of course

Have never had the non barrel aged version of Fat Dog so I do not have anything to compare it to but this beer was fantastic and one of the better barrel aged stouts I have tasted, pretty sure this was the freshest batch of this available that came out about a month ago, would love to drink this again, highly recommended

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

note: Fat Dog is one of my favorite beers. This will be the best beer I've tried a BA version of so far. I was thrilled to see this for sale at Stoudt's! Also, this was the most stubborn cork I have come across.

a: This is not quite black. It is a verk dark, cloudy, ruby red. It pours with big foamy mocha head that has decent retention and great lace.

s: Gentle whiskey aromas serve to enhance rather than overwhelm the smells of naked Fat Dog. The coffee and dark chocolate aromas are much bigger here. In addition there are smoky peaty malts, faint wood, and sweet vanilla notes. This has a fantastic, complex nose overall.

t: This beer changed quite a bit throughout the two hours I spent enjoying it. For the first couple of sips I was surprised by how strong the coffee flavors were. They soon faded back into balance, however. At other times I strongly tasted roasty dark chocolate. At various times I also tasted vanilla, smokey peats, charred pretzels, oak, and whiskey. Some very faint dark fruits like plums and cherries as well. Wow, what an outstanding brew!

m: The carbonation is gentle and foamy, a perfect conveyor of flavor. The body, however, seemed to be a bit watery at times. That is a very minor complaint, given how damn near perfect every other aspect of this beer is.

d: I embarassed my girlfriend in public (again) by doing a little happy dance when I saw these in the cooler. It turned out to be as good as I'd hoped it would be. I'm very glad I have a few more bottles to enjoy.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks to DIM for getting these brews for me!!! I've had the regular Fat Dog fresh and aged and it's always a great choice.

A - rich dark brew, nice soft dark tan head.

S - bourbon, roasted grains, roasted coffee, faint vanilla, chocolate and oak. with some time to breath the aroma became feathery soft and intoxicatingly lush.

T - the first few sips were very roasty with espresso and sharp whiskey notes. Once it warmed up it showed all sorts of tasty levels. Rich soft buourbon mixed and melded with a dark chocolate, oak, vanilla creaminess to a perfect medley!

M - full bodied, creamy carbonation, soft velvety texture and a slight warming effect.

D - a wonderful beer indeed! This one drank so smooth, so invitingly that I'm really happy to have more in the cellar.

Definitely worth a try if you can get it!

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: Pours a chocolate syrup color with a huge beige head that sticks throughout and leaves scads of lace

Smell: Dark chocolate, raisin/prune, milk coffee, oatmeal and just the vaguest hint of the barrel

Taste: Opens with a chocolate and dark fruit flavor that begins to reveal the barrel aging by mid-palate, with peaty vanilla and whisky flavors arriving; after the swallow, the blend of the whisky flavors and chocolate/fruit combine to provide a great deal of complexity

Mouthfeel: Just a tad thin for a full-bodied stout, but creamy and moderately carbonated

Drinkability: Were it not for the slightly thin body, this would be truly extraordinary; as it is, it is exquisitely flavored, with a subtle understatement that makes for a supurb rendition of the style

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Colossal thanks to ericwo for tossing a couple of these my way! Served in a chalice on Xmas Eve.

Pours an inky black with a thin, off white head.

Nice amount of bourbon, chocolate and vanilla in the snout. Mabye some char as well.

Mmmm. Tastes like a chocolate brownie! The darker, harder corners that are just about to burn. The barrel aging makes this thing so damn smooth as well. Unbelievably silky mouthfeel.

The drinkability is off the charts for a big beer such as this. A good dessert beer for sure, but this sucker will work for me any time, any place. I'm looking forward to sitting on my other bottle another year and seeing how it progresses!

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Bottle brought out from philly by my dad....very exciting. Pours black with nice head retention. tan head, long legs. Smells of chocolate, dry malt like an irish stout, hints of peat and whiskey. Taste is strong at first, dry chocolate and chewy astringent malt, with a building whiskey flavor. softens fast, with tiny hints of fruit and delicate toffee. Extremely smooth, velvety mouthfeel, very full bodied. The whiskey fits this beer well and isn't a dominating flavor at all. an improvement on the original.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Very dark black with a very ample mocha head. I was surprised at the amount of head from an aged bottle.

S: Great aroma. There is a bunch of oak in there with the accompaning vanilla, but it is all in check. It adds a nice sweetness.

T: Mmm. The oak is much more subdued in the flavor. There is a good bit of chocolate.

M: SMOOTH!! Amazing smoothness for a decent abv beer with oak aging. Simply amazing.

D: Damn. This is even better than regular Fat Dog, and that is damn good.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

750ml bottle that was acquired during a recent trade. I had been looking for this for a while. Chilled in the fridge and allowed to warm up to cellar temperature. Served in an oversized wine glass and consumed on 07/21/2008.

What a treat to be able to get this one open. Rather impressive looking bottle with a huge picture of the dog on the front! Nice cork and cage, but the cork was damn hard to get out, and I had to resort to prying it open! Rich, and very decadent looking liquid came pouring out. Super dark brown, and completely opaque meant that I knew I was in for a whopper. A towering head of three inches came roaring across the top and would not settle down for anything! Thoroughly coating the inside of the glass was thick and sticky chocolate lace. Even at the end of the session, this one still had a good inch of foam in the bottom of the glass. Very impressive to say the least!

The aroma was super sweet, classic oatmeal stout when it was cool. As it warmed some nice touches from the barrel became a bit more evident. Touches of oak, some like alcohol and a good amount of vanilla coming through stronger now. This was by no means a monster barrel aged aroma, but rather a subtle, nicely blended smell that welcomed instead of intimidated. The flavor was more of the same. Super sweet with nice touches of lactose and vanilla. Touches of chocolate and coffee swirled in and an almost mocha like flavor in the middle. Some light hints at fruit coming through towards the end, with maybe some raisins, plums, and a touch of spice to wrap it together. Delicious Mouthfeel, with more then adequate carbonation and a really nice coating feeling across the tongue. I had no issue with putting this one down over the course of a couple hours, in fact it was absolutely delicious and I was looking for another one nearly as soon as I finished the first.

Overall this one was outstanding. Really a fine example on how barrel aging can be done without being over the top. I would love to get another bottle f this as it was smooth as silk and still had the ability to age a little bit. This was easily one of the better big stouts I have had in terms of ease of drinking. Really should seek this one out and grab a case to put down if its there.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750ml bottle sent to me by Himerman. Best beer I've had in a while.

Pours dark brown, almost black. Large brown foam rises and falls over a period of a few minutes. No light gets through. Good retention and good lace.

Aroma is strong of oak, mildly of whiskey, some roast and some chocolate,and no real alcohol to speak of.

Taste contains mellowed chocolate and roast, don't know the age of this but I would guess at 2 years. The oak flavor is strong and the whiskey flavor is in the background. Mild bitterness, sweet, and the aftertaste lasts forever. Mild alcohol flavor.

Body is heavy, medium/high CO2 levels. Highly drinkable. I would buy more of this if it was available.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

750ml bottle from hopdog via trade. Thanks for the opportunity. Corked and caged.

Poured into a heavy glass chalice, formed a 1" dark brown head above the opaque dark brown/black brew. Foamy head lasts well especially for the style, with thick complementary lacing. Aroma is sweet and roasty, with alcohol noticeable but not dominant. Taste is dominated by the rich maltiness, which is present from start to finish. Whiskey flavors flit in and out, but are certainly not the focus. Warmth comes on after the swallow quite suddenly. Mouthfeel is a bit too bubbly, with quite good drinkability. Liking this one quite a bit, glad I've got a whole bottle to savor.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Nice larger corked and caged bottle poured into my Delirium Tremens glass.

Very nice pour with a dark brown to black liquid that has a huge head (3-4 fingers plus) on each fill of the glass.

Not a huge smell, very fine chocolate and a touch of cream with coffee.

Taste is truly exceptional. This is where the beer does not come short in anyway. While this looks outstandind, it tastes ridiculous, imperial coffee/cream and chocolate flavors with a very nice blend of the whiskey barrel coming through very seamlessly. This is the type of beer a lot of brewers try to do and come up short with the aging.

On drinkability - I had no problem finishing this beer, and I believe this should hold up for a few years without a problem. I will update if this is not the case, but this is exceptional.

If you have the ability to get this beer, you really should, this is a rare example of where barrel aging with imperial stouts doesn't just go well, it goes perfectly.

Cheers.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

The epic (for me at least) fiftieth review here on BA...and for an epic review, I felt that I needed an even more epic beer. So I decided to go with this sweet little gem of a brew that I received from Dana Tayner through a charitable donation. I had heard that it was peaking, and I guess I had decided that I couldn't really hold on to it much longer. 750 ml corked and caged bottle into an oversized wine glass...just a warning, this cork was probably the most stubborn cork I have ever seen. It took me roughly fifteen minutes to work it out of the bottle. And once it releases from the bottle, you better have a tight grip on it, because this bad boy is CARBONATED!

The body was a bit more transparent than I was expecting. It was a dark brown, with loads of ruby highlights throughout. Lots of lively carbonation that helps to produce a large four finger head. It's a nice frothy toffee colored head with excellent retention and sticky lacing.

Litht notes of coffee and dark fruits with some bittersweet chocolates coming through. Muted notes of bourbon and molasses, dominated by raisins and vanilla. I could have smelled this brew for five hours, and still picked out new aromas...it was THAT complex!

Sweet and malty chocolates with some dark fruit dropping into a bittersweet finish. Whiskey is there, but it's been aged out and replaced with strong wood aged notes...a bit bourbony at times, but a sweet bourbon, not an alcohol infused bourbon. Very smokey, midpalate, with lots of raisins and molasses. Let your nose follow the smell, and it will taste just as it smells.

The body was a bit thin for an impy stout, but the carbonation was able to hold it up.

The alcohol is muted by all of the complex flavors, but it is there. One bottle is enough, but it goes down so smooth.

I won't lie...with the whiskey almost completely burnt out, this beer is at it's peak. But I do think that it can peak for at least another year if cellared properly. This beer was definitely held up by the barrel aging, and could probably be one of the better barrel aged stouts. It's definitely one of the best impy stouts (barrel aged or not) that I have ever had...and I think I will be hard pressed to find another one that compares let alone comes close. An amazing brew from Stoudt's, that I wish wasn't retired.

I will be on the search for a couple more bottles before the year is up...

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Yo. This is tasty smelling. ABout 3-4 years old. Nice looking although not as nice looking as it is smelling. Dark brown with a tan head.

Aroma:I first smelled a light toasty oatmeal smell and vannila coffee. The next sniff I smelled an oaky chocolate smell. Not overly bourbony. Balanced. Some sweet fruitiness to the nose as well. Something almost like plum wine as well.

Taste:The roast is more subdued than I expected. Dark chocolate. Slightly basementy. I mean that in a positive light. I'm tasting a raisiny flavor as well like in a quad. The finish has such an awesome bitter chocalate flavor that squeezes the sides of my tounge nicely.

Lighter mouth feel than a lot of other oaked imperial stouts. Lower carbonation.

Nice and drinkable relative to the style. Very smooth as well. Vary rock and roll beer.

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: This beer pours completely opaque looking almost black with mahogany hues. I let this beer reach almost room temp before I poured it into my pint glass. When I popped the cap it started sudsing over I quickly moved to pours and got a huge 3+ finger thick creamy brown head with *great* retention.

Smell: The smell is very rich and enticing causing much salivating. It is a toasted malt, sweet caramel and toffees aroma; with a bit of berry fruits and dark chocolate along with a hint of earthiness and a hint of bitterness.

Taste: Evident oats and grain make way through the thick malty layers of coco, burnt woodiness & molasses. The taste starts off so smooth and immediately reveals the oats, followed by a hint of chocolate and toffee with nuts. Through the middle, it gradually tips from sweet to coffee woody bitter (charcoal-like) with a slight lip-smacking pucker in the mildly astringent finish.

Mouthfeel: Full and thick and smooth as can be! Impressive big creamy body feels fluffy and then leaves your mouth tingling.

Drinkability: Who would have thought a double stout could be so easy to put back. It is exceptionally easy to drink for an imperial stout. The smooth balanced approachable feel and taste make this a friendly beer, I highly recommend.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 received a long while back from the insurmountable trader DIM... I've been sitting on this for too long and after a well placed beermail from Dan, I decided tonight was the night.

"A place for everything and everything in its place," comes to mind.

A fairly vigorous pour produced a simply stunning 3 finger creamy brown head... great retention and lacing.. the brew is pretty much black...

Aromas are a very complex and somehow forgiving and well melded. chocolate fudge and hints of good Kentucky whiskey... not as roasty as many big hyped barrel aged stouts... there is no char to be found ... this just is soooo close to perfect.

flavors mesh as well as the nose... chocolate and vanilla from the barrel and bourbon.... some cherry essence that adds well to the overall brew.. This beer is a lesson on restraint and how things can be done extremely well without using 20 malts or 4 different barrels.

The body seems a bit lite.. but I can overlook generally... really it adds to the overall drinkablity.

Thanks a ton Dan!! DIM is a trader that should be considered a friend and not just a contact... I appreciate it a bunch buddy.

Now I just need to figure when to drink my other bottle ;-)

I had this a while back at a combined RB/BA tasting here in Boise and really enjoyed it then too.

4.5/4.5/4.5/4/4.5

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

Special Thanks to Gibby for providing this in trade earlier this year.

A couple of fingers of light tan head form. Mostly foamy and not quite creamy. Begins to slowly settle immediately. Dark brown with some ruby tones around the edges. Looks like it pours a little thin. Some clinging lacing remains.

The aroma is quite bold and of vanilla, a touch of mustiness and some sweetness.

Quite chocolaty out of the shoot. Then there is a balance between coconut and vanilla. The flavor is circular in that it comes back to the initial chocolate flavor at the end. The aftertaste is all chocolate, specifically chocolate syrup. Nice flavor... Only one thing is holding this beer back..

And that's the body... Just too thin for the flavor profile. It's been a while since I've had a regular Fat Dog, but this seems thinner than I remember the standard edition.

I am torn on this beer.. I love the flavor and am disappointed in the body.. This does affect the drinkability for me. I want to rave about it, but this is holding me back.

Bottom line, still an awesome beer. If this had the right body, it could have been epic.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I poured the 765ml bottle chilled into 2goblets. The bottle was purchased from the brewery over a year ago and kept refrigerated.

A - Pours a beautiful ebony blocking out all light w/ a thick creamy ecru head of 2 fingers which appears smooth like a ramekin of creme brulee on top. The cap begins clinging to the glass in a film like coating thick and becomes ring-like.The head holds strong the whole time

S - dark fruit, very subtle cocoa w/ a hint of alcohol in the nose-mild vanilla and toasted wood notes. The odor has hints of piney hop aromas

M - A rich and thick, roasty start...creamy and alcohol tinged middle and dry spicy semi sweet whiskey tinged finish

T - Sweet and cocoa tasting w/ dry and powdery notes that lead into a taste of whiskey w/ drying flavor -spicey vanilla and caramel flavor w/ a raisin-like sweet/thick fruity flavor. The taste of English hops that are woody or are the flavors more barrel-like oaky? Possibly both, there is a truffle similarity w/ candy taste w/ chocolate malt and cherry notes and slight pine tastes. There is a twiggy crisp taste that gives this a slightly edgier and less creamy and oatmeal tasting stout than the original. I like the barrel's effect that gives this big Stoudt beer-(pun intended) a slightly bitter and blackberry and coffee flavor emreges as it warms to cellar temperature.

D - A great stout, but not the most quaffable barrel-aged beer ever...I love how it has metamorphosed w/ the barrel really becoming a flavor component instead of just an "icing" on the cake. This beer should be released more often -it is an excellent example of the best Stoudt's has to offer.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this 750ml bottle over 2 years ago in a trade with Beerbeing.

Dark black, but not massively thick looking. Decent tan foam that never fully dissipates. Moderate carbonation. Smells like it a has a touch of age, I get a hint of roast, some light alcoholic sweetness, almost fruity, with some chcolate notes.

The taste is very well-rounded. Quite mellow due to age. The flavor has alot of semi-sweet chocolate character, mildly dry. Light bitterness at the finish. Nothing too intense. There is a good hint of the whisky barrel in the flavor but thankfully the alcohol is well hidden. It goes down quite easily for 9% ABV. The body is not real thick/chewy. It's very smooth with a light creaminess. It stayed well-carbonated.

Very pleased with this beer, I was a little concerned I had held onto this too long before opening, but it turned out alright. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer. Hope to try this again if they make it...

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Another brew I have to thank Dim for. The bottle poured into a dogfish head snifter. It produced a two finger worth of tan head that settled to a thick lace. The body of the brew was black as night no light coming through at all.

This brew smell fantastic bourbon, chocolate and coffee are some of the many aromas'. That is just a start; some dark fruit vanilla and a slight earthiness are also present

The flavor is really mellow nice grain sweetness, chocolate, vanilla, coffee among others. The feel is great in the mouth with ample carbonation. The regular fat dog is a favorite of mine and this just takes those flavors to a whole new level

Great drinkability I am enjoying every drop I might even shed a tear when it gone. It was truly a treat to have this one thanks again Dim

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks to Gillard for this one.

A: Pours a nice flat black hue with a medium size khaki colored head. The head died quickly and left no lace.

S: Nice bourbon aromas with hints of oak, vanilla, and booze.

T: Nice bourbon flavors with the oak and vanilla coming thru in a mild sort of way. Dark fruits and a hint of nuts can be detected. Hints of chocolate malt as well.

M: Medium in body smooth and somewhat creamy.

D: Not bad at all.

Overall: A nice barrell beer. One of the better BA stouts I have tasted. Gillard thanks for the try.

Stoudt's Barrel Aged Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) from Stoudts Brewing Co.