Smooth Hoperator - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Smooth HoperatorSmooth Hoperator

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Doppelbock |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: leftmindedrighty on 05-05-2007

2.44/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- amber to copper brownish, thin white lacing stayed, small amount carbonation streamed slowly,

Smell- mix of faint malt and hops not much at all going on

Taste- just very mild malt up front followed by alot of firm bitter hops behind, not complex in flavor and not all that interesting

Mouthfeel- medium bodied with slick carbonation

Drinkability/overall- this has to be the single worst interpretation of a dopplebock i have ever had with out any doubt, just saw off in the style its laughable, beyond that what every style you want to call its just plan out boring and simple, you can drink it but found myself truly not wanting to

2.63/5  rDev -33.4%

It's more copper than bronze, and the two-finger head has lasting power. I must admit I'm skeptical about this one. Perhaps it's too many "Hop___"s here recently that have tried (in vain) to be Hopslam or Hop Stoopid. Thus far, nothing's close. Only after the pour do I realize it's a doppelbock. I guess it's appropriate to give a dopplebock a hoppy name? I judged from the name that I had an IPA--it surprised me by looking more like a red, but I'll chalk that up to the beer style misunderstanding.

Smell offers nothing of significance. Skepticism grows. It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't smell good. It smells like an amber. I still feel like I'm dealing with more of a red (my ignorance about dopplebocks might be rearing its ugly head) and, quite frankly, I'm disappointed. A "Smooth Hoperator" with no hop aroma? I feel like I'm giving this beverage the benefit of the doubt with only an average rating.

I taste roasted malts. It's nothing to write home about. Even as I try to disregard the disappointment associated with my flawed expectations, I struggle to embrace anything in the taste of this beer. I take another sip and wonder how/why in the world this beer has earned an A- on this site. I detect maybe a tad of caramel sweetness that I figure is owed to the style. Though I haven't had many, I rank this lowest among the dopplebocks I've tasted. It's not sweet, not sour, not hoppy...there's nothing distinctive about it. In my book, that makes for a subpar beer.

The mouthfeel is a dry, malty one. Though I've divulged my knowledge on the style is limited, I'd guess this beer intended to be somthing it's not. I keep wondering how/why it got its name. As I look for positives, I offer that the carbonation level seems appropriate.

Drinkability is where I'll let the beer have it. "Smooth Hoperator" is a stupid name for this beer. If there's a pun worth associating with this beer, it should involve "malt" instead of "hop." It's not tough to drink, but it ain't smooth either. This might be my first Stoudts review and I know fans abound, but I've yet to encounter something worth remembering.

3.06/5  rDev -22.5%

Thanks to jtrockchalk(again!)for the gift bottle. Poured into a pint glass.
A - Dark golden brown in color with 1 12 finger slightly offwhite head. Nice lacing on the glass.
S - Malty aroma
T - Full malty taste with subdued sprucefloral hops.
M - Light to medium mouthfeel with a crisp finish.
D - A little heavy on the hops for me, but interesting nonetheless. I probably wouldn't buy this, but wouldn't turn a free one down.

3.08/5  rDev -22%

Medium brown color with a two inch head and a foamy lace.
The aroma was of floral hops,fruits,grapes,grapefruit and a hint of caramel.
The taste did not follow the nose at all. Starts off with hops,malts,mild bitterness and a strange aftertaste.
The feel was a cross between an IPA and a Dopplebock.
medium body,medium carbonation and a hop bitterness.

Notes: Strange beer and a strange taste. Really all I can say is it is worth the try and not much else because this is really a weird beer. I can not say I liked it so I will not,yet it did intrigue me.

3.08/5  rDev -22%

A - Poured with a small head of white foam on top of a clear, amber colored body. The head dissipates quickly and leaves decent lace.

S - A malty aroma with a bit of toffee and some spicy hops in the background.

T - Sweet malt up front with some toffee. More fruity malt character in the middle with a finish of red apple, anise, and moderate bitterness with a lingering spicy hop note.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a balanced finish.

D - Drinkable enough, but I'm not that into it. The malt character is ok, but uninspiring and the beer just seems to be missing something.

3.18/5  rDev -19.5%

A- pours a beautiful deep amber color, with a two finger dense head. Thick creamy foam slowly dissipates leaving a thick cap and delicate lacing.

S- At first the nose is quite boring, but over time delicate bread notes and a heavy hand of noble hops shine through. Not overly complex or interesting, but nicely balanced and characteristic.

T- Very mild from front to back. Slight flavors of caramel malt, with dusty grain flavors all the way through. Finish is quite dry, especially for the style, and exhibit some metallic hoppy flavors. It lacks the depth, malt character, and layers of the style.

M- Again, thin for the style, but decent overall.

D- It does hide its alcohol well, and has the flavor profile of a session beer, so drinkability is pretty high.

Overall, a bit of a disappointment. It isn't nearly as good as Stoudt's other offerings, and it is quite a ways off base for the style. I won't be buying another one...

3.2/5  rDev -19%

Pours a deep bronze color with glowing orange highlights.
Two fingers worth of thick white head.

Smell is sweet and fruity. Caramel and sugary.

Sweet brown sugar hits my buds first. Followed with a smooth bitterness.

Medium body with an average amount of carbonation.
Pretty good mouth feel but way too sweet for my likings.

3.21/5  rDev -18.7%

Look: Very nice reddish brown color with 1/2 inch white foamy head little retention and spotty lacing

Smell: Copious amounts of piney citrus hops and a little bit of oak

Taste: Very bready and malty notes. Hints of caramel and actually a very little hoppy flavor. Almost taste flat

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a medium level of carbonation and a slightly dry finish

Overall: Very unique flavor profile not the best tasting beer I have ever had but I am glad I tried it but I won't drink it again

3.23/5  rDev -18.2%

A: Poured from a bottle to a mug. Had a copper color and a clear consistency. There was a half inch of creamy, long-lasting head and good lacing.

S: There was a nice hoppy aroma with traces of malt.

T: Up front, there's a burst of hops and some malt, but after that, nothing. It seemed a little thin and not very complex to me.

M: A decent amount of carbonation here and a smooth finish. Light- to medium-bodied.

D: In my opinion, this is beer with mixed results. It has its solid attributes, but it comes down to the taste, and that's just not that interesting.

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours orange with a thick white head.

Smells like pineapple!!
I never experienced this before!!

The sweet aroma is misleading: the taste is not sweet at all, but sharp instead, with a bite. Very hoppy, as the name hinted already.
This is totally weird, but not in a bad way.

Not smooth at all.

I never had a beer like this before. But then, I am usually drinking german brews.

Surely interesting experience.

3.26/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a clear orange brown color with a big frothy cream colored head that falls oh so slow. Lots of sticky lace left behind.

Aroma is some sweet malty notes but lighter then a Dooplebock should be, Some light fruity notes cherry mainly with alcohol esters and a good dose of pine.

Taste is lots of malts to start caramel earthy peat notes with good fruit but then something weird happens and the pine hops creep up add there kick. First off I love hops but this just seems wrong to over hop this style. Taste is ok would almost rate it worse but guess its not bad just wrong.

Mouthfeel is solid medium carbonation seems a little too peppy for a dopplebock.

Overall heck its worth a try but for me that's all it will be. It is not bad per say just don't think everything needs to be hopped it is just wrong.

3.28/5  rDev -17%

Pours with a frothy, somewhat dense, initially fat-two-finger thick, creamy tan colored head. The beer is a brilliantly clear, gold-hued, bright cranberry color. The aroma is nicely hoppy, with notes of herbal pine noticed up front. A closer inspection yields more of the same, but with more intensity. This is citrus infused though with aromas reminiscent of grapefruit, touches of tangerine and some notes of lemon rind. This has a "herbal" note to it that makes me think of hemp seed oil, this note, while somewhat soft, is definitely, distinctly noticeable. There is also a fair amount of malt character here by way of toasty malt notes, soda crackers and a touch of caramel malts.

The hop character is aggressively noticeable from the get go. A bracing bitterness and tons of herbal, rank hop flavors linger on in the finish. A mix of garlic chives, hemp oil, astringent hop leaf and pungent pine sap lingers on in the finish and really clings to the palate. What malt character is noticeable is quite clean and provides a touch of chewy, malty, complex sweetness for all of a half second at the front of each sip before it is subsumed by the dominant hop notes. Touches of softer, fruit-focused hop notes can be noticed at times; flavors of grapefruit and tangerine can be pulled out if you really dig for it.

I was quite surprised to see this listed as a Doppelbock. The hop character is clearly the dominant note here; even to be an American interpretation the malt really needs to play a bigger role here (this is of course my own opinion though as this beer clearly shines as an example that I am wrong). This really does not work for me even on a purely hop driven level as the garlic / herbal hop character of Summit hops is just a bit too dominant to be enjoyable. This is just another beer that proves to me how much I really do not like Summit hops.

3.31/5  rDev -16.2%

On draft at Bodega, served in a shaker pint. Eh...

A - Head is short but has excellent retention and is super thick and clingy. Very nice clarity as well. This was a 4.5 appearance at best, but with a proper pour I am confident that this beer can produce a "5" rated appearance score.

S - Hoppy. Well it is what this beer is meant to be, I guess. No semblance of a doppelbock in the aroma though which greatly disappointed me. Amarillo-type sweetness and fruit with a Cascade-like citrus kick and earthy/spicy bite. Green and leafy at times with a hint of caramel foretelling of the malt profile.

T - Malt is there - caramel, crackery grains, etc. but I don't get anything that clues me in on this being a doppel... or even a lager for that matter. As a dark/amber IPA this is a great beer, but as a doppelbock it fails. Once I let the second half of the glass warm up considerably I did begin to get notions of toffee and stem fruit, but imo it is too little too late.

M - Strong bitterness but creamy carbonation.

O - Like I said this beer is purported to be a hybrid of styles - clashing, competing styles at that - a hoppy doppelbock. It does not marry the two, but rather murder a doppelbock to create an Imperial India Dark Lager.

The score is entirely dependent on how you view the beer. Rated as an IPA or similar, this scores in the 4.0+ range, as a doppelbock it's pretty poor. As a marriage it is also poor. Thus I am torn here...

3.33/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle (no date) into a pint glass.

A moderate pour yields a 2-finger cream tan head that slowly recedes after a few minutes to a thin, clumpy dusting and thick foam ring. The body is a clear reddish amber with almost no carbonation bubbles. Some decent lacing can be seen clinging to the glass throughout consumption.

Strong pine and citrus hops aromas come pouring out of the head. Bready malts are in the background, giving a little substance and balance to the nose.

Citrus and piney hops strike the tongue as soon as the beer is sipped. Dark caramelized malts follow in with an almost milky sweetness that offsets the hops. A pure lemon juice flavor accompanies the malts. A citrus bitterness rests in the back of the mouth. An oaky wood aftertaste finishes each sip.

Medium bodied with good carbonation, this beer is very consumable. The body is a little light for the style and seems a bit thin. The carbonation is unexpected from the appearance but packs a good fizz.

3.34/5  rDev -15.4%

12 oz bottle served in a regular pint glass. The beer pours an amber color with a 1 finger head. There is great lacing with this beer as well as head retention. I could not get much out of the aroma with this one. I could only pick up hops and malt. Perhaps this is due to the glass that I used. The taste is predominately hop oriented. The first sip there is a pinch of malts and then it is all hops. The carbonation is fine and the beer goes down very smooth. This is an interesting take on the style and one that might improve with a little more balance.

3.36/5  rDev -14.9%

No best before date.
Poured into a pint glass. Pours a amber color with a 2 finger off white head. Nice retention with a good amount of lacing.

A citrus aroma up front...grapefruit with a hint of pine.

A slight bitterness that is overtaken by roasted malts. Citrus up front but then there is a nutty finish. Again hops up front toasted malt finish. Too much hops for this doppelbock.

Watery mouthfeel with a little carbonation. good to try but I won't buy another.

3.37/5  rDev -14.7%

Reddish orange beer that is a few degrees from ruby. The beer pours with a crackle and a quick to form tan head. The bubbles recede quickly and stain the sides of the glass with leftover suds.

The smell is malty sweet with hints of white pepper. Not much in the way of hops but it is a pleasant nose.

Taste is quite nice. The malts are for sure the dominating component of this brew with a sweet, bready presence. Again no trace of a hop except for a mild bittering in the finish.

To me the mouthfeel is the best part. I dig the smooth texture of this one and the slight carbonation. There is a subtle hop pinch finally here that could have been around in the scent and taste but then that wouldn't be true to style. All in all a tasty beverage but not much more then average. Easy to drink but not very exciting.

3.4/5  rDev -13.9%

pours a purple-ish amber-ish copper with a huge, frothy head that makes me pour in stages, but dissipates quick enough while leaving tracing on the glass. expected a darker beer, but its nice looking nonetheless.

not only does it look like an amber, but its aroma reminds me of one as well. piney, spicy hops are supported by caramel malts.

caramel malts come up first. spicy, piney, earthy hops take over with a tiny bit of citrus adding some juiciness to the chewiness. caramel, a bit of toffee, and some toast and butter sweeten it up.

very oily on the tongue and prickly with the carbonation. bitterness lingers for minutes with the oiliness.

eh~ goes down ok. semi-complex flavors meld with the alcohol well. but the flavors just don't mesh too well. kind of an odd pairing that misses its mark just a bit for me.

3.41/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a four finger light tan head that fades very slowly leaving a good lace. Almost clear red/amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Light piney nose. Flavor is a hoppy burnt sugar with some lingering aftertaste. Unusual dopplebock. $2.25 for a 12oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT.

3.42/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: The 2 finger head stuck around long enough to take the dog around the block. The beer is dark but with nice clarity.

Smell: Smells malty and Hoppy with hints of crystal malt. The hop smell is evident but obscured by the malt.

Taste: This is where I was most critical, I was expecting the nice smooth malty goodness of a doppelbock. It was so hoppy it took me by surprise. As a result I waited a day to review this, and retasted knowing what to expect. The taste for me is somewhere in-between a DiPA and Doppelbock, which doesn't quite work for me. The taste itself is bitter upfront, with a rather odd malty finish, not bad, but not that great either.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is big as is typical of the style, seems appropriately carbonated.

Final impression: A lot of the negatives in my review of this come from personal preference, I did not like an overly hoppy Doppelbock, but there is nothing wrong with the beer of a technical standpoint. I will finish the sixer, but next time I will go back to Stoudts DiPA, or the Fat Dog.

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Yeah, I liked this, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. Somewhat watery for a dopplebock I thought. Nice earthy and hoppy flavor up in the middle however. No real hint of the alcohol and not a whole lot of nose. This came recommended from the bartender, but I just wasn't that impressed. Had some nutty and woodlike notes, but overall, just not a lot of flavor. Nothing else really bad about it, the taste that was there was good.

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Standard 12oz bottle

Appearance: Medium brown with slight amount of red, head filled a 16oz pint glass and quickly dissipated.

Smell: Moderate hop aroma with a spicy finish.

Taste: For an American amber this is definitely over hopped, but given the name I would expect as much. Unfortunately, there isn't much left to taste except hops. From beginning to end to after taste this beer wants to be an IPA. There is a slight malt taste as the beer warms to room temperature.

Overall: A disappointing amber beer. A pretty decent IPA. Overall a moderate American craft beer offering. Nothing that really stands out about this one. I was a little surprised by the abv because this is a really smooth beer.

3.47/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

S = Sharp hoppy profile that really stands head and shoulders above all. A slight sweet malt profile in the background.

T = Big hop flavor upfront with a malty backbone balancing out the bitterness. The finish was semi-sweet with the hoppiness still being dominant.

MF = Medium body with moderate carbonation. Smooth and crisp.

Overall, this definitely was a very hoppy doppelbock. To me, the doppel characteristics took a back seat to the big hoppy flavor of this beer. Worth trying.

3.47/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: minimal head on a hazy amber body. no lacing really.

S: very malty, burnt ambers, candied citrus.

T: caramel and toffee malts, candied citrus. pretty simple.

M: medium body and moderate carbonaton.

Overall: not sure if doppelbock is the right style for this one. I dont have much to say about this one other than where are the hops in the smooth HOPerator?

3.48/5  rDev -11.9%

OK beer to have with a meal but not strong enough to stand by itself

Appearance: Orange-copper, little head

Smell: Sweet malt, fragrant...hops??

Taste: Sweet toasty malt, where's the hops?

Mouthfeel: Little bit of bitterness, overall sweet, blah

Drinkability: Meh, average at best

Smooth Hoperator from Stoudts Brewing Co.