Smooth Hoperator - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Smooth HoperatorSmooth Hoperator

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Doppelbock |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: leftmindedrighty on 05-05-2007)

kbrown, Sep 23, 2012
2.45/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- amber to copper brownish, thin white lacing stayed, small amount carbonation streamed slowly,

Smell- mix of faint malt and hops not much at all going on

Taste- just very mild malt up front followed by alot of firm bitter hops behind, not complex in flavor and not all that interesting

Mouthfeel- medium bodied with slick carbonation

Drinkability/overall- this has to be the single worst interpretation of a dopplebock i have ever had with out any doubt, just saw off in the style its laughable, beyond that what every style you want to call its just plan out boring and simple, you can drink it but found myself truly not wanting to

Stunner97, Jan 29, 2012

Massbmx, Feb 24, 2012

TheBigBoy, Mar 15, 2013

disemgrowler, Feb 28, 2012

mikehillman, Aug 10, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -33.7%

It's more copper than bronze, and the two-finger head has lasting power. I must admit I'm skeptical about this one. Perhaps it's too many "Hop___"s here recently that have tried (in vain) to be Hopslam or Hop Stoopid. Thus far, nothing's close. Only after the pour do I realize it's a doppelbock. I guess it's appropriate to give a dopplebock a hoppy name? I judged from the name that I had an IPA--it surprised me by looking more like a red, but I'll chalk that up to the beer style misunderstanding.

Smell offers nothing of significance. Skepticism grows. It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't smell good. It smells like an amber. I still feel like I'm dealing with more of a red (my ignorance about dopplebocks might be rearing its ugly head) and, quite frankly, I'm disappointed. A "Smooth Hoperator" with no hop aroma? I feel like I'm giving this beverage the benefit of the doubt with only an average rating.

I taste roasted malts. It's nothing to write home about. Even as I try to disregard the disappointment associated with my flawed expectations, I struggle to embrace anything in the taste of this beer. I take another sip and wonder how/why in the world this beer has earned an A- on this site. I detect maybe a tad of caramel sweetness that I figure is owed to the style. Though I haven't had many, I rank this lowest among the dopplebocks I've tasted. It's not sweet, not sour, not hoppy...there's nothing distinctive about it. In my book, that makes for a subpar beer.

The mouthfeel is a dry, malty one. Though I've divulged my knowledge on the style is limited, I'd guess this beer intended to be somthing it's not. I keep wondering how/why it got its name. As I look for positives, I offer that the carbonation level seems appropriate.

Drinkability is where I'll let the beer have it. "Smooth Hoperator" is a stupid name for this beer. If there's a pun worth associating with this beer, it should involve "malt" instead of "hop." It's not tough to drink, but it ain't smooth either. This might be my first Stoudts review and I know fans abound, but I've yet to encounter something worth remembering.

marvin213, May 31, 2009

clfrost, Oct 23, 2013

rab53, Dec 09, 2011

mpenning13, Oct 06, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -22.2%

Thanks to jtrockchalk(again!)for the gift bottle. Poured into a pint glass.
A - Dark golden brown in color with 1 12 finger slightly offwhite head. Nice lacing on the glass.
S - Malty aroma
T - Full malty taste with subdued sprucefloral hops.
M - Light to medium mouthfeel with a crisp finish.
D - A little heavy on the hops for me, but interesting nonetheless. I probably wouldn't buy this, but wouldn't turn a free one down.

mcsquint, Nov 04, 2008
3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

Medium brown color with a two inch head and a foamy lace.
The aroma was of floral hops,fruits,grapes,grapefruit and a hint of caramel.
The taste did not follow the nose at all. Starts off with hops,malts,mild bitterness and a strange aftertaste.
The feel was a cross between an IPA and a Dopplebock.
medium body,medium carbonation and a hop bitterness.

Notes: Strange beer and a strange taste. Really all I can say is it is worth the try and not much else because this is really a weird beer. I can not say I liked it so I will not,yet it did intrigue me.

Lexluthor33, Apr 15, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

A - Poured with a small head of white foam on top of a clear, amber colored body. The head dissipates quickly and leaves decent lace.

S - A malty aroma with a bit of toffee and some spicy hops in the background.

T - Sweet malt up front with some toffee. More fruity malt character in the middle with a finish of red apple, anise, and moderate bitterness with a lingering spicy hop note.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a balanced finish.

D - Drinkable enough, but I'm not that into it. The malt character is ok, but uninspiring and the beer just seems to be missing something.

nickfl, Sep 11, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -20.2%

A- pours a beautiful deep amber color, with a two finger dense head. Thick creamy foam slowly dissipates leaving a thick cap and delicate lacing.

S- At first the nose is quite boring, but over time delicate bread notes and a heavy hand of noble hops shine through. Not overly complex or interesting, but nicely balanced and characteristic.

T- Very mild from front to back. Slight flavors of caramel malt, with dusty grain flavors all the way through. Finish is quite dry, especially for the style, and exhibit some metallic hoppy flavors. It lacks the depth, malt character, and layers of the style.

M- Again, thin for the style, but decent overall.

D- It does hide its alcohol well, and has the flavor profile of a session beer, so drinkability is pretty high.

Overall, a bit of a disappointment. It isn't nearly as good as Stoudt's other offerings, and it is quite a ways off base for the style. I won't be buying another one...

phisig137, Apr 10, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours a deep bronze color with glowing orange highlights.
Two fingers worth of thick white head.

Smell is sweet and fruity. Caramel and sugary.

Sweet brown sugar hits my buds first. Followed with a smooth bitterness.

Medium body with an average amount of carbonation.
Pretty good mouth feel but way too sweet for my likings.

BigMike, Apr 03, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

Look: Very nice reddish brown color with 1/2 inch white foamy head little retention and spotty lacing

Smell: Copious amounts of piney citrus hops and a little bit of oak

Taste: Very bready and malty notes. Hints of caramel and actually a very little hoppy flavor. Almost taste flat

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a medium level of carbonation and a slightly dry finish

Overall: Very unique flavor profile not the best tasting beer I have ever had but I am glad I tried it but I won't drink it again

DarthKostrizer, Jun 26, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a mug. Had a copper color and a clear consistency. There was a half inch of creamy, long-lasting head and good lacing.

S: There was a nice hoppy aroma with traces of malt.

T: Up front, there's a burst of hops and some malt, but after that, nothing. It seemed a little thin and not very complex to me.

M: A decent amount of carbonation here and a smooth finish. Light- to medium-bodied.

D: In my opinion, this is beer with mixed results. It has its solid attributes, but it comes down to the taste, and that's just not that interesting.

avalon07, Apr 08, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a clear orange brown color with a big frothy cream colored head that falls oh so slow. Lots of sticky lace left behind.

Aroma is some sweet malty notes but lighter then a Dooplebock should be, Some light fruity notes cherry mainly with alcohol esters and a good dose of pine.

Taste is lots of malts to start caramel earthy peat notes with good fruit but then something weird happens and the pine hops creep up add there kick. First off I love hops but this just seems wrong to over hop this style. Taste is ok would almost rate it worse but guess its not bad just wrong.

Mouthfeel is solid medium carbonation seems a little too peppy for a dopplebock.

Overall heck its worth a try but for me that's all it will be. It is not bad per say just don't think everything needs to be hopped it is just wrong.

mntlover, Aug 13, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours orange with a thick white head.

Smells like pineapple!!
I never experienced this before!!

The sweet aroma is misleading: the taste is not sweet at all, but sharp instead, with a bite. Very hoppy, as the name hinted already.
This is totally weird, but not in a bad way.

Not smooth at all.

I never had a beer like this before. But then, I am usually drinking german brews.

Surely interesting experience.

Bierfreund, May 19, 2008
Smooth Hoperator from Stoudts Brewing Co.