Brewers Reserve Belgian-Style Quad - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Brewers Reserve Belgian-Style Quad
No picture uploaded.
good

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bbeane on 09-05-2009)
Reviews by bbeane:
3.53/5  rDev +2.9%

A- Poured into a 16oz tumbler... Light bubbly head that recedes pretty quickly... leaves no lacing. Beer is very dark in color, with little activity

S- Very sweet aroma with plum overtones. Can also detect the high alcohol content

T- Kind of disappointing. Starts off weak, finishes semi sweet with a definate presence of alcohol. By all means, not bursting with flavor

M- Pretty watery, very little carbonation, some lingering flavor after the swallow

D- Not the best I've had, but tasty. Would drink more, but not for the price I paid

4.75/5  rDev +38.5%

3.03/5  rDev -11.7%

22oz Cork and Cage Bottle, from Capones in Norristown. (Impulse buy, not something I was initially looking for)

A: Little to no head at all, even with an aggressive pour. From the get go, I knew this had little to no carbonation. Very vicous looking, with no tracing left behind on the glass.

S - Imagine a basic quad, this has the smell. Sugary, yet boozy smelling. No carbonation 'spritz' in the nose either.

T- I was really looking forward to the beer, and even moreso after a long hectic day at work. From the initial pour, I knew that this beer was going to be lacking the punch of a good solid quad. Being that it's got hardly any carbonation, it really detracts form the taste -- in it's place is a watery maple syrup taste. Certainly nothing to write home about, and a 'let down' for a brewers select brew IMO.

M - Flat sugar water is the best I can think of. I have zero carbonation in mine, and this swallows like a beer one has left out overnight.

D - The above reviewer summed it up very well. Not a bad beer by any stretch, however not a good one either. I think this bottle will be more than enough for me in terms of ever buying it again. 'Paid to much' comes to mind, which is a bit disheartening as I was looking forward to a good 'local' PA beer.

Stoudts, you can do better than this. I would love to see more carbonation -- and then I will most certainly purchase again.

2.7/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A corked and caged 750 mL bottle purchased at the brewery in late September. Shared with ksak and janlud.

A: The cork was removed without a pop, no noise, no nothing. Poured into my snifter, the lack of carbonation was visually evident, a still ale that is lifeless. Color-wise, the quad is cherry red and brown, dark and murky in its stillness.

S: The nose is spicy, doing its best to make up for the lack of bubbles. Rasins, brown sugar, candied sugars and plums add a strong depth. A touch of smoked malts and a fair amount of booze round things out.

T: From the first sip, the carbonation is dearly missed. The ale has a sweet, boozy flavor that carries over the spices and dark fruits identified in the nose. The flavors are fleeting, starting off strong before fading quickly. A spicy heat flares up occasionally. I can see this being a decent quad if it were properly carbonated. It is not properly carbonated and therefore isn't decent.

M: The mouthfeel is dull, lacking in any bubbly, effervescent aspects. A mulled apple cider would have been livelier with just as much spice profile.

D: I shared my bottle with 2 other people. If not for them, I probably would it shared it with my kitchen sink. Alright, that's an exaggeration, but carbonation would have done wonders for this quad.

2.85/5  rDev -16.9%

Appears a dark ruby toned cherrywood when held to the light. A small off white head quickly fizzles into nothing. No lacing, or co2 bubbles found.
Smell is of rum soaked raisins, prunes, vanilla, cherries, and brown sugar.
Taste is of the aromas with sweet raisin and fig nectar that is near cloying and in need of desperate aging.
Mouthfeel is sticky, sweet, syrupy, and full of candy sweetness.
Age this one at least 3 years...seriously. Way too raw right now.

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

4.4/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Stoudt's Quad on tap at Pony Bar, Hell's Kitchen, NYC.

Appearance: Served in a 8-oz glass, barely any head, just a rim around the glass, soapy bubbles. No lacing, just sweat. Hazy amber color, murky.

Smell: Grapes, wine, sour. Intriguing! Raisin, fortified wine, funkiness all around. Some spice, honey. "The sour I was meant to like"- only it is not actually a sour! There is none of that sweetness you expect from a Belgian-style quad. Glue and yeast.

Taste: Follows nose, with a more pronounced spice note and a dry finish. Floral, sour, enticing. Clover, pollination, more of that glue and yeast. Caramel, citrus, orange gastrique. Hops? This would barrel beautifully. Raisin muffin for breakfast with a hair of the dog.

Mouthfeel: Full body and flavor, medium carbonation. Outrageously sour (for a quad) but oh-so-delicious. This is not your average quad! Lemony, dry, spicy finish.

Overall: I love this. A perfect mix of sour and quad. Not so drinkable, but delicious.

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Wow!!! Stoudts....what did you do?!?!? After seeing the previous two reviews, I was being skeptical about opening this bottle conditioned brew which cost $12.00 straight from the Angus Brew Pub. Needless to say, the previous reviews were right. This beer was COMPLETELY undercarbonated thus leaving this brew absolutely undesired!!! Plain & simple, this brew sucked!!!

But even still, after thoroughly reviewing this beer, I would say that if Stoudt's properly carbonated this beer it would do this beer some justice. In the meantime, this was one of the most awful brews I've had in quite awhile! And...for $12, I wish Stoudt's would reimburse me for actually having to drink this brew. It tasted like the flat homebrew I had sitting in the secondary fermentor for 3-4 weeks.

Fellow BeerAdvocate reviewers...stay away until Stoudt's decides to actually carbonate this beer!!!

Update (10/15/09): After my initial (and only) experience with this beer, I emailed the head brewmaster over at Stoudt's. I voiced my displeasure with the beer. He noted that the yeast had in fact stalled out - hence the lack of carbonation. Later pondering this feedback, upon which I greatly appreciated any feedback whatsoever from the brewery, I came to understand that the beer itself was pretty darn good...now if only it was carbonated it may have blown my socks off like all other Stoudt's beers.

2.8/5  rDev -18.4%

a: I guess I opened this too soon, since the cork came out with a weak little pop. This was a murky, hazy dark brown with some amber highlights. A hard pour yielded a few feeble, soapy bubbles that quickly faded.

s: Warm raisin notes along with some dark candied sugar, flowery hops, a little bread, and something sweetly spicy. More carbonation could have really brought this to life.

t: Very nice combination of sweet, caramalized candied sugar, raisins, and a little tart yeastiness. The heat coming off this is par for the style, not at all over the top.

m: This does taste very good, but it feels dead in the mouth. Very gently carbonated. Stoudt's bottles often mention bottle conditioning on the label. This one doesn't, so I'm not sure that it is. Whatever the reason, the lack of bubbles is really holding this one back.

d: If you have a bottle, wait to open it. Maybe you'll be rewarded with a properly carbonated quad. Too bad I didn't wait, this was quite tasty. Stoudt's shouldn't be selling these in this condition.

3.7/5  rDev +7.9%

Its a good beer with the German qualities that stand out. I like the candy sugar at the beginning, but by the end of the beer my pallet is overwhelmed. If this was you last beer of the night it would last for about 45 minutes on your pallet. It has strong fruit and floral flavors that stand out. Would not recommend following this beer another sweet beer.

Brewers Reserve Belgian-Style Quad from Stoudts Brewing Co.