Stoudts Pils - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudts PilsStoudts Pils

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: psugrad98 on 08-11-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stoudts Pils Alström Bros
1.68/5  rDev -56.9%

I've never been a big lover of German Pilsners so this low rating shouldn't reflect on this brew but it does reflect my tastes on this style. When a I come across this style and it's got the fresh cut grass aromas and tastes I just find it unwelcoming to me. I found this beer to fall into that situation. It's a clear yellow brew with the flavors and aromas mentioned above. Just not my favorite. (397 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I was disappointed. I thought it was hoppy enough with Noble hops but the mouthfeel was not nearly up to par with even an Oettinger. It was "weak" and thin. The Pils malts also lacked something. I didn't take notes, so this is the morning after. Basically, a weak imitation of a German Pils. (291 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -33.8%

Very hoppy aroma and taste. Excellent appearance on the pour, almost clear yellow, with a frothy whire head and good lacing. I could not detect much flavor outside the heavy hops. This actually grew on me after a couple, but my beer is how I rated it. An okay-good, middle of the road pilsner. (293 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -33.8%

Poured cloudy gold with thin head and thin spotty lacing. Smell of hops. Taste is sweet at fist then pretty bitter. head remains throughout. Almoust a sour feel to the mouth, not very pleasant. This Beer wasn't too impressive, not something i would get again. (259 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -32.8%

A- poured into a dimple mug a yellow straw color with a white head a bit hazy looking.

S- grass and malts

T- Hoppy with an unsual aftertaste that all Stoudt beers seem to have. Sorry Stoudts not diggin this one.

M- medium body ,decent ccarbonation

O- Not what I would call a German pilsner,,compared to the real deal. (321 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -31.5%

A: Nice gold color with a billowing two finger head. Tons of sticky lacing that clung to the beer all the way down the glass.

S: I feel it has a pretty unappealing scent. A strong bitter scent mixed with pungent skunky grain. Kind of a turn off for me personally.

T: Very nice taste mixture of bitterness and malted grain. The grain taste is semi sweet but doesn't last very long as a bitterness takes over and sticks around for a long aftertaste.

M: Light bodied and medium carbonation. It's crisp and refreshing.

O: It's a pretty drinkable pilsener and the taste isn't bad. Could drink quite a bit of it, but I'd rather drink Prima Pils. (644 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On-tap at Stooges in Allentown

Maybe the keg was old, but this beer was just not right. The malt was too mellow and the hops were too harsh. If it weren't for the rough hops, the malt profile would be just smooth and slightly bready. But the grassy and spicy hops (which I normally adore) were way off. (305 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -29%

Poured into a pint glass from the bottle. Couldn't get too aggressive with the pour b/c it has some major head on it. Nice gold, perfect clarity, big puffy white head. Smell is kind of bland with some metallic scent and a mild floral hop character to it. Taste is rather bland, could hardly make out any distinct flavors. I probably won't drink many more of these in my life. I have enjoyed some Stoudt's brews in the past, but this is definitely the least exciting from this brewer that i've had. (497 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

I poured this into a tall, slender glass I got from a cafe in Bonn, Germany. I let it go in a bit too hard and got a whole hand's worth of white head. The liquid was translucent with a straw yellow color. All the head laced nicely. It had a dry, lemony aroma. The taste was considerably sour and bitter - too much so. I know I opened this before the date on the bottle, so I'm assuming that it's not gone bad, but this is weird. The bitterness lingers considerably. I can't find any sweetness to offset the bitter. After some time passes, it begins to improve some. It's It feels OK in the mouth, except for the aftertaste. I've enjoyed all of Stoudt's other products, and unless I'm just missing something on the pilsener style, this isn't much fun. Maybe all that head was a sign of a problem. Darn. (801 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

It is not a bad drink, but it is not what it claims to be. It tastes more like a pale ale than a pilsener. It is not a German pilsener, but more like a Sierra Nevada Pale. I like Stoudts products, but i do not like it when companies get so creative that they lose the intrinsic flavour of the type of beer they are wanting to produce. (334 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -27.4%

Served in a standard pint glass. Appearance isn't too exciting to me, rather clear and almost flourescent lookind when placed in front of the light, decent foamy head. The taste is a pretty average pilsner flavor, not very exciting for my taste. Mouthfeel isn't too bad, fairly smooth going down. I can see myself drinking a few of these beers if I had no good alternatives. Definately better than the average boring macro pilsner though. (438 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured into a snifter

Appearance: very pale yellow, one fourth finger head that dissipates rather quickly. Good lacing

Smell: Citrus, lemon; summery

Taste: Light hops, grass stains, citrus, with a dry finish

Mouthfeel: light, watery

Overall: Thought this one would have more of a kick, but it just never got off the ground. A bit better as it warmed. Just not impressed. (375 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -26.4%

I had out of a 12 oz. bottle.
A- It's clear gold and slightly bubbly. No head or lace.
S- Kind of spicy scent to it.
T- Kind of a sour-bitter taste. Bad aftertaste. Really a poor attempt at a Pilsner. No distinguishing tasted. Limited all the way around. (254 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -25.9%

Appearance- golden yellow in color with small bubbles streaming the glass, with a fading white foamy head

Smell- the problem I had with this smell is i just couldn't get much smell, very faint hop and malt but overall not much going on in the nose

Taste- the taste is light up front and then you are hit with a strong wallop of hops on the back end, leaves a long bittering finish on the back end, lacks a bit of balance for my tastes as the bitterness is to much for a pilsner to me, lacks balance

Mouthfeel- very light with crisp carbonation and overwhelming dryness

Drinkability- this beer may actually be the cup of tea of some people and even at some point this may have very much been to my liking but the thing is its very one demensional now to me and over hopped but not in a good way, some german style american pilsners i have had i enjoy it but to me it really pulls back the drinkability due to the fact its just so bitter and lacking much else, not terrible but not something i would seek again (1,012 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours a four finger white head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Crystal clear pale yellow color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Straw nose. Flavor is sweet straw that fades to grapefruit hops. Lingering hoppy aftertaste. $2.00 for a 12oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT. (310 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured a cold one from a 12 oz. bottle.

Apperance: Light golden or straw-like color. Plenty of aeration. Four-five fingers of head. Took their own sweet time to dissipate. Good bit of lacing.

Aroma: Mostly barley, a little whiff of hops.

Taste: After the gorgeous appearance, my expectation was that this beer was going to blow me away. It's a fine pilsner, but nothing to write home about. My standard for a really fine pilsner is the Victory Prima Pils (both Victory and Stoudts are within an hour's driving distance from my house). The Stoudts people could take a couple of lessons by driving down to Victory Brewing. While this is a fine beer, it had very little of the hoppy flavor that made Pilsners the favorite beers when they first started brewing them in Germany.

Mouthfeel: OK, not much change to flavor.

Overall: Beer looks nicer than it tastes. Too little of hops. No complex aromas or flavors here. (918 characters)

Not sure what Saaz hops are… but I know the name. I have heard that around a few times, and I am excited to see what this pils brings to the table. I am a BIG fan of the pils from Victory. I like the high IBUs and love the aftertaste. This one promises to be crisp and clean, though… so we will see if it holds weight. I do love the story, though… the fact that the owners had to pretty much split their business in half when they started to make beer.

Let’s see what this beer smells like.

I am hit with the hops right off the bat. But that’s a good thing. Hops smell dry, and that is all I can hope from a beer like this. I am curious though, if a beer that smells this dry can in fact have such a high IBU… we will see.

The beer explodes on the palate, and quickly diminishes down the back of your throat. But then the dryness hits you. It’s not too dry, and you almost have to sit there and suck your tongue for a second to get the true dryness that you expect from that nose. But when the book calls “crisp”, that’s a fair statement. This beer would be enjoyed better cold, on a hot summer day.

This brew does taste a lot better than it smells. After a second and third sip, the dryness that you experience toward the end of your experience starts to creep to the middle of the palate. That’s a good thing, and the bigger gulps you take the more your tongue is just overwhelmed with the hops. It’s a good beer, and I’d totally drink this again. Bottoms up people! (1,498 characters)

A - Bright crystal clear gold with bright white head.

S - The saaz hops are apparent, but its more of a sulfry smell than it is fruity.

T - The taste is a different story, it has a nice clean flavor that is balanced nicely. Nice crisp malts are complimented by the bready yeasty sulfur, and balanced out by the bitterness.

M - sharp carbination and bitterness are the only downfall to this beer. It bites the tounge and make sit a little too sharp.

D - For the style it is on target....but just a little off. Of course, this is my opinion. (554 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

It started off real nice. The beer, poured for me at Andy's, came bright yellow topped off by a rather small, brilliant white lacing head. Nose was perfumy from the hops and showed a little malt if you look for it. Pungently floral and perfumy though. Yum. Beer was crisp in the mouth with good carbonation (not overdone). When cold, the grassy, yet perfumy hops clearly were a good match for the adequate malt body providing firm bitterness and a crisp, dry finish. When the beer wasn't very cold is when things turned ugly. The perfumy hop aroma turned soapy in the mouth, and the final sips reminded me of malty dish water.

I really wanted to love this beer. Great pilsners are tough to make and therefore quite rare on the micro scene. IMHO, this one started off good but quickly showed it's flaws. (805 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

I bought this single bottle at Michael's Deli in King of Prussia, Pa and poured into a pint glass.
Appearance: Very cloudy yellow body, yet still transparent. Huge head with poor retention that left ok lacing.
Smell: A decent yeasty/hoppy smell, I couldn't make up my mind.
Taste: Malts are there and they let you know it, bits of hop presence here and there.
Mouthfeel: Crisp and smooth.
Drinkability: Not to good, but not bad either.
Don't drink and review. (465 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -21.3%

Appearance: bright yellow, clear, 1/4 inch head, high carbonation

Smell: malt, caramel, bread, and grass

Taste: a grassy malty start that is not overpowering with abrupt big hops at the end

Mouthfeel: super smooth, sweet with a bitter middle to end, light

Drinkability: After tasting several pils lately I find this one to be just average. This beer is very two note a weakish start followed by a bigger hoppy explosion. I could have one more, but I would just as soon turn to another pils. (494 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -21.3%

On tap at d.b.a. for NYC craft beer week.

A- Ironically this was poured into a Stone pint glass with their moniker "Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies". Perfectly clear straw golden color with brief bone white head no lacing. Nada 1 streamer noted.

S- Metallicy grain...I really struggle to get any aroma here.

T- Light grainy with some medium bitterness in the middle that lingers. A faint bright lemon zest. There is a bit of metallic twang in there.

M- Crisp and dry for sure. Definetly my favorite part of this beer.

D- Try as I may, I just can't get "into" Pilsners in general. This beer is not bad, its just a pilsner.... go-hum. (638 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -20.5%

a: Nice golden straw color but with minimal head. Some lacing though.
s: Light malt and floral hops with faint fruity esters.
t: Bitter biscutes. Pointless bitter after taste.
m: Medium body with little to no fizz.
d: Too bitter for my tastes, but does goes down easy. (272 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -19.7%

Part 3 of 4 of Stoudt's variety pack whilst camping in Copake NY this past weekend. It had been several months since I'v had a Pilsner, usually Becks and occasionally a Warsteiner so I was intrigued to see an American version.

A: Poured into highballer glass with bright color, see-through golden and straw accents. Two finger plus foamy white head with very respectable lacing, in half crescents.

N: Nose was mellow as yellow as the color but I think i deteced Saaz hops along with some hay. Overall, I didn't get much out of the scent but I chalk that up to my neophyte nose in this category.

T: Small bite of the hops, gentle malts, grains and buscuits, perhaps lemon dashes. Got sweeter as I nursed this one longer than most beers.

M: Very light, dry and saaz hops coming in last with a smile.

D: At first I was put off by the hops but my pallet warmed as did the beer in time. A classic session beer for my tastes. (926 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -19.7%

Bought a bottle of this last week, looks to have a best buy date of 8/22/05, very nice. Pour is a light golden, the head was of the beaten egg white quality and did a good job of sticking around. This beer was kind of a mixed bag for me, I popped it open while I started cooking, so I took sips every five minutes or so while I had a moment. Each sip was different. The first actually had a bit of a sour quality, and I thought, please get better soon. Actually, it's still evident 30 minutes later. There are some more pleasant things going on: it is pretty citrusy in the finish. I actually find it bit sweet too. Sitting here drinking this one in front of the computer, I have to say it's a bit of a mish-mash. I guess I need to get another bottle and see if there is a change for a better drinking experience. (813 characters)

Stoudts Pils from Stoudts Brewing Co.