Stoudts Pils - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudts PilsStoudts Pils

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: psugrad98 on 08-11-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stoudts Pils Alström Bros
1.68/5  rDev -56.9%

I've never been a big lover of German Pilsners so this low rating shouldn't reflect on this brew but it does reflect my tastes on this style. When a I come across this style and it's got the fresh cut grass aromas and tastes I just find it unwelcoming to me. I found this beer to fall into that situation. It's a clear yellow brew with the flavors and aromas mentioned above. Just not my favorite.

1.75/5  rDev -55.1%

2.46/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I was disappointed. I thought it was hoppy enough with Noble hops but the mouthfeel was not nearly up to par with even an Oettinger. It was "weak" and thin. The Pils malts also lacked something. I didn't take notes, so this is the morning after. Basically, a weak imitation of a German Pils.

2.55/5  rDev -34.6%

A- poured into a dimple mug a yellow straw color with a white head a bit hazy looking.

S- grass and malts

T- Hoppy with an unsual aftertaste that all Stoudt beers seem to have. Sorry Stoudts not diggin this one.

M- medium body ,decent ccarbonation

O- Not what I would call a German pilsner,,compared to the real deal.

2.58/5  rDev -33.8%

Very hoppy aroma and taste. Excellent appearance on the pour, almost clear yellow, with a frothy whire head and good lacing. I could not detect much flavor outside the heavy hops. This actually grew on me after a couple, but my beer is how I rated it. An okay-good, middle of the road pilsner.

2.63/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured cloudy gold with thin head and thin spotty lacing. Smell of hops. Taste is sweet at fist then pretty bitter. head remains throughout. Almoust a sour feel to the mouth, not very pleasant. This Beer wasn't too impressive, not something i would get again.

2.65/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On-tap at Stooges in Allentown

Maybe the keg was old, but this beer was just not right. The malt was too mellow and the hops were too harsh. If it weren't for the rough hops, the malt profile would be just smooth and slightly bready. But the grassy and spicy hops (which I normally adore) were way off.

2.73/5  rDev -30%

I poured this into a tall, slender glass I got from a cafe in Bonn, Germany. I let it go in a bit too hard and got a whole hand's worth of white head. The liquid was translucent with a straw yellow color. All the head laced nicely. It had a dry, lemony aroma. The taste was considerably sour and bitter - too much so. I know I opened this before the date on the bottle, so I'm assuming that it's not gone bad, but this is weird. The bitterness lingers considerably. I can't find any sweetness to offset the bitter. After some time passes, it begins to improve some. It's It feels OK in the mouth, except for the aftertaste. I've enjoyed all of Stoudt's other products, and unless I'm just missing something on the pilsener style, this isn't much fun. Maybe all that head was a sign of a problem. Darn.

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

A: Nice gold color with a billowing two finger head. Tons of sticky lacing that clung to the beer all the way down the glass.

S: I feel it has a pretty unappealing scent. A strong bitter scent mixed with pungent skunky grain. Kind of a turn off for me personally.

T: Very nice taste mixture of bitterness and malted grain. The grain taste is semi sweet but doesn't last very long as a bitterness takes over and sticks around for a long aftertaste.

M: Light bodied and medium carbonation. It's crisp and refreshing.

O: It's a pretty drinkable pilsener and the taste isn't bad. Could drink quite a bit of it, but I'd rather drink Prima Pils.

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

Poured into a pint glass from the bottle. Couldn't get too aggressive with the pour b/c it has some major head on it. Nice gold, perfect clarity, big puffy white head. Smell is kind of bland with some metallic scent and a mild floral hop character to it. Taste is rather bland, could hardly make out any distinct flavors. I probably won't drink many more of these in my life. I have enjoyed some Stoudt's brews in the past, but this is definitely the least exciting from this brewer that i've had.

2.8/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

It is not a bad drink, but it is not what it claims to be. It tastes more like a pale ale than a pilsener. It is not a German pilsener, but more like a Sierra Nevada Pale. I like Stoudts products, but i do not like it when companies get so creative that they lose the intrinsic flavour of the type of beer they are wanting to produce.

2.85/5  rDev -26.9%

I had out of a 12 oz. bottle.
A- It's clear gold and slightly bubbly. No head or lace.
S- Kind of spicy scent to it.
T- Kind of a sour-bitter taste. Bad aftertaste. Really a poor attempt at a Pilsner. No distinguishing tasted. Limited all the way around.

2.85/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured into a snifter

Appearance: very pale yellow, one fourth finger head that dissipates rather quickly. Good lacing

Smell: Citrus, lemon; summery

Taste: Light hops, grass stains, citrus, with a dry finish

Mouthfeel: light, watery

Overall: Thought this one would have more of a kick, but it just never got off the ground. A bit better as it warmed. Just not impressed.

2.88/5  rDev -26.2%

Served in a standard pint glass. Appearance isn't too exciting to me, rather clear and almost flourescent lookind when placed in front of the light, decent foamy head. The taste is a pretty average pilsner flavor, not very exciting for my taste. Mouthfeel isn't too bad, fairly smooth going down. I can see myself drinking a few of these beers if I had no good alternatives. Definately better than the average boring macro pilsner though.

2.93/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours a four finger white head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Crystal clear pale yellow color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Straw nose. Flavor is sweet straw that fades to grapefruit hops. Lingering hoppy aftertaste. $2.00 for a 12oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT.

2.93/5  rDev -24.9%

Appearance- golden yellow in color with small bubbles streaming the glass, with a fading white foamy head

Smell- the problem I had with this smell is i just couldn't get much smell, very faint hop and malt but overall not much going on in the nose

Taste- the taste is light up front and then you are hit with a strong wallop of hops on the back end, leaves a long bittering finish on the back end, lacks a bit of balance for my tastes as the bitterness is to much for a pilsner to me, lacks balance

Mouthfeel- very light with crisp carbonation and overwhelming dryness

Drinkability- this beer may actually be the cup of tea of some people and even at some point this may have very much been to my liking but the thing is its very one demensional now to me and over hopped but not in a good way, some german style american pilsners i have had i enjoy it but to me it really pulls back the drinkability due to the fact its just so bitter and lacking much else, not terrible but not something i would seek again

2.95/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

It started off real nice. The beer, poured for me at Andy's, came bright yellow topped off by a rather small, brilliant white lacing head. Nose was perfumy from the hops and showed a little malt if you look for it. Pungently floral and perfumy though. Yum. Beer was crisp in the mouth with good carbonation (not overdone). When cold, the grassy, yet perfumy hops clearly were a good match for the adequate malt body providing firm bitterness and a crisp, dry finish. When the beer wasn't very cold is when things turned ugly. The perfumy hop aroma turned soapy in the mouth, and the final sips reminded me of malty dish water.

I really wanted to love this beer. Great pilsners are tough to make and therefore quite rare on the micro scene. IMHO, this one started off good but quickly showed it's flaws.

Stoudts Pils from Stoudts Brewing Co.