2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

2X Chocolate Porter - Stoudts Brewing Co.

2X Chocolate Porter2X Chocolate Porter

good

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ShanePB on 02-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 13 | Reviews: 8 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by OWSLEY069:
OWSLEY069

3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours jet black with a light tan head. In the aroma, small roasty, chocolate notes. In the taste, small presence of chocolate and/or cocoa, with a nice roasted malt. A small bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry chocolate in the aftertaste. Nice chocolate presence, a bit rich, but nice nonetheless.

04-05-2011 20:51:17 | More by OWSLEY069
IPAchris

02-02-2014 15:56:22 | More by IPAchris
yourefragile

District of Columbia

02-01-2014 23:54:07 | More by yourefragile
bbeane

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Just dug this caged and corked guy out from the cellar... Around 3 years old. Still has a very nice "pop" when pulling the cork.

A- Poured into a snifter, and it's age has in no way effected it's carbonation as it has a great creamy head that lingers. Beer is black with a hint of deep ruby showing when held up to the light

S- As it's been a few years since I've last tried one of these, I don't recall how aromatic it was, but it has some notes of chocolate though not by any means strong. Getting some cinnamon like notes as well. So far so good...

T- Burnt, toasty notes at first, followed by chocolatey notes in the finish. Not strong chocolate notes, but definitely evident

M- Not overly chewy, but has a nice creamy texture

O- I'm surprised as to how well this has held up. I've got a second bottle in the cellar that will sit for another period of time before sampling

CHEERS!

zekeman17

03-02-2012 17:09:19 | More by zekeman17
cbeer88

3.38/5  rDev -4.5%

750ml bottle, drinking out of a 20oz imperial nonic pint. Big thanks to chefmonty for sending this one to me in the Loko 4 Locals BIF.

Appearance: A fairly gentle pour from a very well chilled bottle leads to a giant head - the pint was half beer and half head. Head settles quickly and I topped it off with a few more ounces. Nice cappuccino colored fluffy head. Very little lacing, but the head has extremely nice staying power as the beer goes down. Color is real dark brown, pushing black.

Smell: Roasty and smokey. Surprisingly only getting the faintest of chocolate smells, which is shocking considering it's a "double" chocolate porter.

Taste: Roasty, coffee, and a little nutty. There's a hint of chocolate in there, but this is again not what I expected based on the name. The smokiness from the smell doesn't come through in the flavor. It's an overall nice and fairly complex taste though.

Mouthfeel: Very highly carbonated, thin to light medium body.

Drinkability: Pretty high. Alcohol is nowhere to be seen, and at 7% it's not too heavy to polish off a 750 by yourself. Goes down nice.

Overall: If you ignore the name and any expectations based there on, it's a decent little porter. It's well made, and drinkable enough, albeit not a standout. Ultimately I'd judge future purchase of this one based on the price tag.

08-14-2011 17:43:55 | More by cbeer88
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

3.38/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks to ahalloin for sharing this one about a month ago. Just getting around to putting in tons of reviews

A: Two fingers of bubbly tan head that lingers. Very dark brown hue with brown highlights and a little lacing.

S: Smells like toasted smoky malt and just a bit of chocolate. Has a smoked pork vibe to it, in my opinion. A little fainter than I'd like.

T: Very, very roasty beer especially at the back with very dry bitter semi sweet chocolate in the middle of the palate, and mostly coffee roast in the back. Maybe a little lactose in there, but overall not a whole lot of flavor...was hoping the smokiness would be in the flavor, but not so much.

M: Very carbonated, seems to cover the flavors up.

O: Not that great. Would not go for this again.

04-11-2011 01:44:24 | More by Dreadnaught33
ColForbinBC

3.45/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750mL champagne style bomber poured into a snifter

A somewhat aggressive pour yielded a bubbly, frothy two+ finger head that sits atop a chestnut brown body. Some sticky lacing.

Roasted malt jumps out front with some milk chocolate and fresh ground coffee. A decent balance of chocolate sweetness and coffee bitterness.

Hazelnut flavor rushes through first, with a burst of sweet chocolate before a coffee bitterness takes over the finish. I have to admit, these flavors are real light. Nothing glamorous here.

Light body for the style with a very light bitter coffee finish.

Overall I found this to miss on several points. The nose and flavors were light and the body was thinner than expected. A 2X Chocolate Porter should at least deliver a heavy dose of chocolate, this fails in that regard. A decent porter with some redeeming qualities.

03-27-2011 02:07:12 | More by ColForbinBC
jmdrpi

3.05/5  rDev -13.8%

750mL corked and caged bottle, from the brewery.

pours a jet black color, with creamy 2" off-white head. some lacing. not much of an aroma. just a touch of roasted malt.

surprisingly no chocolate flavor in the taste. just a bit of bittersweetness. If I didn't see the label, I would never guess that the name would include chocolate. very odd. Just a standard porter.

body is about average for the style, medium carbonation, and fairly thin body.

very disappointing. I was expecting more of an interesting flavor. and chocolate!

03-23-2011 03:46:56 | More by jmdrpi
Khazadum

4.08/5  rDev +15.3%

A- Large creamy head that overwhelmed me and surprised me as it cascaded down the edges. For being a volatile explosion of froth for a simple pour, it has long lasting retention. Deep mahogany brown body. Light of my LED flashlight just barely creates a ruby circle to see. Great retention yields lacing that reminds me of a set of full blinds... or even denatured egg protein spread too thin.

S- Incredible roasted body. Very smooth, with a bit of burnt toast point on it. Some coffee bitterness and grinded bean aroma. Ends with bitterness and a sweetness to it... hazelnut? Very low hoppiness from my perspective.

T- Opens sweet hazelnut, tad bit of caramel, maybe some toffee power but faintly. Middle is a gentle roasted coffee body. It is delightful and transient. I want this type of roast again. It is so simple, subtle, and tasty. More emphasis on hazelnut. Finish is very clean with a tad bit of grassy hop to it.

M- Smooth, creamy at times, but ultimately thin. Minor crispness in the first quarter of the experience, but quickly burns away. The lacing hyped my hopes and let me down in what I eventually got from the feeling. Velvet thick mucusy... well maybe not mucusy... nevertheless, I wanted a bit more OOMPH from it. Low lingering power, but perhaps this is a benefit for the beer. It leaves a bit of mystery for itself, begging me to delve deeper and deeper.

D- Not too harsh on the alcohol, and very tasty. I am going to truly enjoy the entire 750 by myself. Can't imagine sharing this one. Would actually maybe like to suggest others try this one out, great for a tick at least. My take... American brown ale with some coffee? Lets see what I got...

Stoudts Brewing Company 2X Chocolate Porter.... WTF?!?!?!?!

Now that I have a reveal lets take some secondary looks at it... ya... no... the roasted coffee parts make sense for the porter.. but chocolate? I can't find it anywhere! I've dug deep and drank and smelled over and over again. There is no chocolate to be had in the flavor or nose. I let this beer sit on my tongue, I rolled it around, I swished it, I tried different tongue moves to get it to reveal its secrets... So saddened no chocolate, but the coffee roasted aspects are super delicious so I'll take that.

02-26-2011 01:28:07 | More by Khazadum
ShanePB

3.6/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 750 ml corked and caged bottle, fresh from the brewery on release day.

A - Borderline opaque black body with a creamy beige head. Mahogany hues shine in the light, a great looking Porter.

S - Muted, though some roasted malt qualities come through. Coffee beans, toffee and some ashy grains.

T - Nothing but heavily roasted coffee beans coating the palate. This is a wake-up for your taste buds. Some bitter hops are here, too but overwhelmed by the roasted flavors. No chocolate really at all, except after you finish, it's subtle but in the linger. Not really what I was expecting for having "Chocolate" in the name. More like a Coffee Porter.

M - Nice and creamy, smooth carbonation, nothing fancy. It's pretty much on par with what you'd expect from a Porter.

D - If you enjoy really burnt/roasted flavors, you'll enjoy this. For me, it just became a nuisance for my palate after a while.

I understand that the "chocolate" in the name could be derived from the color of the malts and body of the beer, but I'd expect at least some obvious chocolate flavor in the beer. You really have to focus and look deep past the roasted coffee bean flavor to get there.

02-07-2011 19:59:31 | More by ShanePB
2X Chocolate Porter from Stoudts Brewing Co.