Revel Red - Stoudts Brewing Co.

Revel RedRevel Red

Stoudts Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: ShanePB on 11-10-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
3.83/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours an amber color that has good clarity. A smallish off white head sits on top leaving some lacing. Average carbonation. Aroma is hoppy but not overwelmingly so and doesn't really present itself with any particular type.
Desent malts.
Taste is malty upfront with a bit of biscuit. Hops have mostly a bitter aspect and not much flavor. A medium weight beer with a dry bitter finish. A good beer but nothing to write home about.

micromaniac129, Dec 10, 2011

MaltRoomAssoc, Dec 09, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +22%

How many reviews have I started by saying that this is not my favorite style - it's not. But it's good. A bit more bitter than many, and I think that makes it work. It is extremely well crafted - clear and crisp, though I am drinking it pretty warm. In fact the temperature may be what is making it good. I forgot that these weren't cold.

It's a very pretty beer, as this style usually is. It is distinguished by the hoppy taste. Off balance, but great. This sampling reminded me of why I like beer not so cold. It has a lot more character like this.

Recommended, and I will buy again.

schoolboy, Dec 09, 2011

DaveHack, Dec 07, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +18.5%

Surprised by the somewhat poor reviews on what I found to be a really promising new release from Stoudt's Brewing.

Poured a deep reddish amber with a finger of creamy head. Well-balanced smell on the nose. Nice amount of hops mixed with some subtle spices make this a really nice, easy-drinking winter brew.

Dry finish washes down extremely well with the citrus hop flavor. I'll definitely pick more of this up on my way home for the holidays as I pass through on 222S.

devinoconnor, Dec 05, 2011
3.81/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is a clear copper with a finger of head. Much of the head retained for a long time and the lace rings on the glass were substantial. The nose is both lightly malty and lightly hoppy; basically, the notes are present, but nothing really spectacular is going on here. The flavor profile is crisp and lightly malty with a clean and mildly hoppy finish. There is also a lemony bite near the finish that makes this offering quite refreshing.

This offering would make for a decent fall session ale if the abv were not quite so high.

57md, Dec 04, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a clear dark honey color- 1/2 finger of head

Smells metallic at first- once I get past that I smell pine, grass, vanilla and booze

Definitely tastes hoppy- pine, grass- earthy hops- maybe a little caramel in the flavor but mostly bitter and dry with booze. Some bready flavors show up as the beer warms up.

Mouthfeel medium to light with low carbonation.

The booze seems kind of abrasive considering this beer is only 6%. I don't really love the hop profile either. It's ok but I am not too excited about finishing the rest of the bottle and I probably wouldn't buy it again.

Dubber55, Dec 02, 2011

mscott1975, Nov 30, 2011

MLasoski, Nov 30, 2011

Neffbeer, Nov 29, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - This category is always negligible for me...it was crystal clear...with a decent head and some good lacing...a ring of head remained for the entire beer.

S - A definite carmel-bready malt aroma with minimal hop pressence...I sense possibly some knoble hops...definitley not dry hopped with the typical "C" hops.

T - Apparent bitterness hits the back of the tounge and lingers nicely...carmel malt sweetness helps to balance...decent hop flavor but nothing exciting. I like the dryness of it.

M - Good mouthfeel medium-light body

Overall - Not bad...not great...I was expecting something much better from Stoudts...as I am a big fan of their flagship beers. When you have Red/Ambers out there like Nugget Nectar, you shouldnt use the term Hoppy lightly. I think their Pale Ale is hoppier than this attempt.

If you are looking for an english-like pale ale this is pretty good. It actually reminds me of their scarlet lady but with a little more too it. Maybe this should be categorized as an Extra ESB or something.

Give it a shot...decide if you like...I'm in different. Cheers!

HopHeadRyan, Nov 29, 2011

mrpibb1206, Nov 27, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has an amber color with a tiny little head. Smell is of hops, some sweetness. Taste is hop heavy up front, some malts, bitter at the finish and a touch on the bland side. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a somewhat unbalanced and mediocre beer.

tone77, Nov 26, 2011

deapokid, Nov 25, 2011

whartontallboy, Nov 24, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: pours a clear amber color with a finger of off white head. Good retention.

Smell: Bready malt, mild cherry. Not much as far as hops.

Taste: bready malt up front. Some caramel and mild cherry notes. Citrus peel hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a slightly slick finish.

Overall: not a very good interpretation of the style. Not again.

oline73, Nov 24, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on 2011-11-22 in Columbia, PA

A - Darker amber with a 1-finger off-white head and mild lacing.

S - Grape skins, sweet mildly roasted malt, touch of hop floral. Pleasant.

T - Initial caramel malt sweetness is complimented by some earthy spice and is well-balanced by the moderate hop bitterness. As it dries, I notice an astringent roasted grain flavor, hop fruit sweetness and lingering pithy bitterness.

M - Light-medium body and medium carbonation.

O - It's a well-done, easy-drinkin' brew if you are used to hop bombs. On the other hand, if you want to start introducing yourself or others to more bitter styles than lagers, this could be a good place to start.

Tucquan, Nov 22, 2011

SatinRado, Nov 20, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +12.1%

I could dring this beer all night.
Appearance: Clear Amber copper, with a 2" off-white head.
Smell: Some hop bitterness, with a hint of sugary malt.
Taste: Not an overpowering hop or malt profile. Actually, somewhat bland, with some pine hops. biscuity malt starts to emerge as the beer warms
Mouthfeel: Smooth. mildly carbonated.
Overall: You may call this beer boring. Nothing stands out, but nothing overpowers. Enjoyable beer for a fall afternoon watching some football.

potownbill, Nov 19, 2011

jscottku21, Nov 14, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -26.3%

12 ounce bottle fresh from the brewery. Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Clear amber copper body with a creamy, fluffy and sudsy looking slightly off-white head. Nice lacing on the walls and a really good retention cap once the dissipation was finished. Not a bad looking beer by any means.

S: Caramel and toasted malts, faint hoppy bitter notes. Um, the hops are more akin to an old fruit peel, with a bit of pine in there. It's really not all that complex or aromatic but I guess it accomplishes what it sets out to be. Although, for being a "Hoppy Red Ale" I would have liked a bigger hop presence to jump out.

T: First sip was pretty bad. Not completely gross but something was off to me. A few more sips and it became okay, fairly tolerable. Once I stopped sipping for a few minutes and came back to it, the same thing happened again. Way more malty than I expected. Lots of darker malts, not charred or roasted really, somewhat of a caramel flavor... It's sort of hoppy. I mean, it is but again not what I expected. A slight bitterness of pine sap and needles comes in but the finish is the worst. There's something completely off with it, leaving an abysmal flavor on my palate. I can't place it, but boy is that off-putting.

M: The body is nice, pretty well carbonated, maybe even on the lower end. The cap didn't come off with much noise, but there was a nice forming head. Pretty lively and bubbly nonetheless.

If I'm being completely honest, I didn't want to finish this beer. I actually passed it off to someone else. It's not entirely offensive really, but it's certainly no where near what I'd consider enjoyable. I've got another bottle and will certainly revisit, as well as on draft but my initial impressions of this beer are dire.

ShanePB, Nov 10, 2011
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Revel Red from Stoudts Brewing Co.