Dark Star Porter - Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's

Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's visit their website
Kentucky, United States

English Porter |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 07-30-2001

A rich and robust blend of light, caramel, and dark malts sets the stage for BBC Dark Star Porter’s robust presence on the palate. This smooth but robust porter has complex notes of chocolate and roasted grains balanced by additions of traditional English hops, creating a delicious chocolaty and smooth ale.

3.79/5  rDev +5%

Pours dark brown, ruby against a light, with a one finger head that goes down to lace in about 2 minutes.

Smell is malty, with a wee little bit of chocolate.

Taste follows the smell, with a pretty bitter finish, a little too much bitter for the body of flavor.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin for a porter.

Altogether, not a bad brew, quite drinkable. I'll have to head up to Louisville to try this on tap.

3.64/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Nearly black in the glass- but ruby to cola when held to the light, with a slight peach overtone. Head is tan, just over a finger.

Smell is very nice and roasty. There's some yeasty bits here, too.

Flavor is also nice nd roasty right up front. Other flavour profiles not as deep and dark as my tastes in porters generally run.

Body is too light, IMO...and the carbonation is too high.

I want more out of this one. Drinkable, but not extremely so.

Be well
-UF

Poured this 12 oz into a Duvel glass. Best by 9/06 notched. Opaque black body with 1/2 inch head that faded to a dime sized island.

Smelled of coffee grounds.

Tasted bittersweet, like French iced coffee. I love coffee, I love beer. I do not love beer that tastes only of coffee.

Mouth-filling texture, yet not rich. Thin/watery quality. Esay to drink but not one I will likely drink again.

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

This beer is served at the Brewery in a pint glass. The head is lacey and white with a hint of yellow in it (could have been the lighting, wasnt the best). The beer itself was thick and black-brown. The smell was full and almost nutty. The tastes was strong at first but not to prevent from drawing in a big mouthful. It was a rich smooth mouothfeel and quite drinkable, as a growler was taken home.

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

Served in a pint glass from the bottle the BBC Dark Star Porter pours a very dark brown, with not much of a head at all. What little head there was disappeared very quickly. It smells very nice, like coffee, chocolate, caramel, and roasted malt. The taste is mainly chocolate malt, with some roasted coffee flavor too. There's a bitter aftertaste that stays around a while after drinking the beer. The mouthfeel is pretty thin, but this is a very drinkable beer. I'd recommend this to anyone to drink, it's a good selection from BBC. I remember having it on tap a few years ago at the BBC brewpub, so I think I'll have to make another trip to Louisville and try it on tap again.

3.12/5  rDev -13.6%

Appearance - black, but a lighter black than I normally see with porters. little amount of head atop

Smell - chocolate and roasted malts.

Taste - was ok, not the greatest tasting porter, but was worth a try.

Drinkability - I probably won't have this one again.

3.77/5  rDev +4.4%

Re-review of the bottled version. I had this on tap at the brew pub in January. Then my daughter, who lives in Louisville, brought me a six-pack recently.

Almost identical to what I had at the brewery.

Appearance was dark and shimmering nearly opaque mahogany, with an nice bumpy two-finger head that faded to a solid ring and left lots of thick lacing.

Smell was lots of molasses, but there was a complex fruitiness there that came up pretty much missing in the taste.

Taste: the first, middle, and last notes were all the same -- just dark molasses malt, which is fine, but it missed the complexity that was there in the aroma.

Mouthfeel was nice and round.

Drinkability, in my estimation, was better than the draught version. I think this porter needs to sit for a while.

2.94/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The porter pours a deep dark mahogany brown bordering on black but there's almost no carbonation. Even with a vigorous finish to the pour there was at best a thin collar of bubbles that instantly disappeared.

The nose was pleasant with a good dark caramel aroma mixed with a toasted note. Only a little sweetness in the smell.

Flavor was pretty run-of-the-mill for a porter with a few caramel notes, a strong focus on roasted, coffee-like flavors and note much else. No hopping that you'd notice and very little sweetness either.

Mouthfeel was disappointing. The porter was thin - as if they'd taken a standard porter and watered it down a bit. Light bodied, no residual sugars to leave a coating on the palate and very little carbonation to add any sparkle. The finish is a roasted grain bitterness (light, like everything else) but it doesn't leave you wanting more.

Not much to recommend in this beer except that it would make a good session beer. With a light body it's not very filling, low carbonation and a light, inoffensive taste it'll take a lot to really notice this beer.

3.23/5  rDev -10.5%

12oz bottle into a nonic. Moderate hard pour was necessary to raise a 2inch head of dark tan foam. A lot of big bubbles mixed with a lot of tiny creamy bubbles. Good lacing as it falls. The beer is an almost-but-not-quite opaque deep mahogany. Very nice looking beer.

Clear roasty aroma with plenty of milk chocolate, vanilla, and a little smoke. Very tasty smells.

Flavor is surprisingly weak on the front. Some sweet, a little chocolate and light roast coffee, slightly tart. Most of the flavor is coming from the aroma. Finish is dry with a little tannic bite.

Light body, a little watery.

I am a bit disappointed in this beer. I remember it as being quite a bit better in the past. The label has a best before date of last month so I suppose it could be a little past it's prime, but it has been in the fridge since well before. Not a bad porter at all, I'll have to get more to make sure this bottle wasn't off.

4.24/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I think I had this beer years ago at a Louisville Cardinals football game. I vaguely remembered it being good but was still skeptical when I saw it on the shelf at the distributor in Ohio last weekend.
I know porters aren't generally big head beers but I was still disappointed to see the cap fail to cover the top during the pour. Basic dark color. The nose was much more complex, featuring coffee and a little caramel in layers. Possibly the best smelling porter I can remember.
The taste is oppossed to the nose in that while full and rich, has more sour characteristics than sweet, with almost an oatmeal stout thing happening in the beginning of the sip. The aftertaste is tasty and longlasting. Mouthfeel is brisk but fits very well with the taste.
I can definitely recommend this Bluegrass selection. It isn't much to look at but it has it where it counts. I will definitely be on the lookout for this in the future.

3.77/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a deep brown color with solid amber to ruby highlites with a 3 finger head that settles to a healthy tan cap over the beer. Solid looker, though could be a shade darker. Nose is solid, with moderate to solid roast notes, leaving impressions of coffee, though with a lighter nuttyness hanging below it. I enjoy the aroma of this one. Flavor presents a more nutty profile, with roasted character being more prevalent in the aftertaste. The flavors here could be a touch more bold. I'm getting more of an American Brown vibe from this than a porter. That being said, this one still tastes good. Feel is solid moderate with a touch of creamyness and a light-moderate carbonation. Sold and where I expected it. Overall, this one deliveres, but slightly underachieves as a porter. Call this one Dark Star brown ale and I'd be more satisfied. Still nothing that sticks out as a flaw, just needs a bit more behind it.

3.77/5  rDev +4.4%

12oz. bottle courtesy of kmpitz2.

Pours a deep dark brown with a small tan head. Mild lacing on the glass.

Smell is slightly sweet and malty with a rich cocoa aroma.

Taste is malty and rosty upfront with a large dose of coca that follows through to the swallow. Finishes dry with a lingering cocoa roastedness.

Carbonation is fine, body seems a little light.

A nice, drinkable porter. I would like to have just a bit more uumph in the body....

3.59/5  rDev -0.6%

Aggressive pour creates a great looking head. Plenty of lacing.
Roasted malt aroma, peanuts, burnt sugar and maybe some nutmeg? A noticeable metal aroma too, which isn't really my cup of tea.
Taste consists of dark malt flavors up front. Significant bitterness towards the end. Dryer than most other porters Ive had. Smokey aftertaste. Pretty nice mouthfeel. Good amount of carbonation and easy drinking. A solid porter. I would drink this again.

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Received a gift from my friend Mr. Doyle from his beer of the month club back in December. Beer best had by June '06.

Beer pours a deep brown with a decent head that is floating on top. Nose is a slight hint of the chocolate malts. Taste starts nicely with a compliment of those chocolate malts and ends well balanced with a chocolate dry hop finish. Mouthfeel is very good, velvety smooth and creamy. Drinkability is good. This is an extremely smooth drinking beer that is definitely worth a shot.

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Beer pours almost black, but held to the light you can see a ruby appearance. Frothy brown head with little to no lacing. Very soft carbonation. Smell has hint of roasted coffee. Taste consist of coffee and caramel with a smoky like aftertaste. An enjoyable beer.

3.38/5  rDev -6.4%

re-review, 2/1/06
I tried another bottle of this tonight and used a pint glass this time. The head poured so thick, I had to make three pours. Dark creamy foam that never seemed to disappear. Beer still tastes like burnt malt, but I definitely am getting a better feel for this the second time around. I increased the drinkability from a 2.5, but everything remains the same.

I had a hard time getting a nice full head pouring it into my snifter. Wrong glass for this beer?? It dissapated rapidly to a small ring arond the rim. Appearance is definitely dark witha hint of red. Looks like any other average Porter.

Taste is a burnt maltyness. Leaves your mouth with a wetness that is not the normal effect I get from a Stout-like beer. Carbonation is nice. I cannot taste any chocolate, just a burnt sensation. I thought it was pretty tasty, in the beginning, but drinkability seems to be getting worse as I go.

3.45/5  rDev -4.4%

Nearly opaque dark brown with ruby hues, topped by a 2-finger tan head, low retention, little and spotty lacing. Roasted malts impart coffee and chocolate notes, with a touch of hop freshness. Good carbonation precedes a thin body, mostly malt with astringency and an odd metallic graininess as it develops. Goes down smooth with more of the astringency emerging.

Tasty at the beginning but too odd, and gets worse as the glass empties. A little too watery for the style, as well.

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%

Got this as part of my Microbrew of the Month club. 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A—deep, dark brownish, black color with ½ inch creamy tan foam head

S—strong coffee and caramel malts, very fragrant with some mocha aroma as well, mild sweet smell

T—big and strong coffee and cocoa flavors, malty as I expected, a nice bittersweet finish

M—smooth and creamy with mild carbonation

D—an excellent brew…to me, it is like drinking a cold espresso. Could drink several more as I really enjoy the coffee and cocoa combo.

3.35/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance: Pours a clear dark brown with slight hints of garnet around the edges. Solid head, tan in color, with scattered, spotty lacing which soon dwindled away to a thin ring of bubbles around the glass.

Smell: Delicate aroma of dark chocolate, coffee, and roasted malts.

Taste: Light flavors of cocoa powder, sweet dark malts, coffee, and a few smokey notes, and coupled with a light hop and grain bitterness. Other than that, this beer finishes dry and with a decidedly metallic finish. Unfortunately, this porter is a bit watery; the flavors seem muted. I even left the beer sitting in my mouth for a few minutes, waiting for flavors to magically emerge. Regrettably, this doesn't work.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin and fairly carbonated.

Drinkability: A nice, simple, eminently tolerable porter. What more could you ask for?

3.33/5  rDev -7.8%

I love the British Broadcasting Company so I was delighted to see they also brewed, but you’d think they’d be based out of London and not Kentucky oh well.. Roasted coffee beans aroma. Brown/black with a frothy head. Chocolate malt and some unexpected tobacco tinged flavor. Not a bad flavor just a little unexpected. A very nice sipping beer that finishes well.

3.4/5  rDev -5.8%

got this in a trade from brent (thanks).

pours up a very dark, almost black color, thick off-white head of foam with a chunky top and large bubbles. ruby highlights around the edge, sheets of lace, a layer of foam stays atop the beer.
smell is pretty great. similar to chocolate milk with toffe and coffee. i like.
taste is not quite up to the smell. very malty, but slightly astringent, somewhat grainy after the coffee flavor. the front of the mouth is ok, pretty good, actually. in the back is where the problems begin.
creamy, medium mouthfeel. almost no carbonation. nice.
drinkability would be higher without the rough tang in the back of the beer. if it's hops, it's a hop i haven't come across, and i don't like it in my porter, thank you very much.

cheers...

3.25/5  rDev -10%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into an imperial pint glass, served at about 45 degrees.

Dark Star pours a very dark brown, almost black. At first it was topped with a half-inch thick creamy head that quickly settled to a foamy ring.

The aroma- roasty toasty, smells of roasted malts and coffee, with a hint of unsweetened cocoa- and not much else.

Taste-wise, just roasted, roasted, roasted. Very dominant flavor of roasted malts. Not much hint of coffee or chocolate at all, and not much hop flavor either. Doesn't carry a very complex flavor; I swirled this one around in my mouth many times searching for something more, but it just wasn't there.

Dark Star hits the tongue with a prickly carbonation. It leaves a slick, wet feeling on the palate that I don't particularly like, and wasn't as dry as I had expected from the style.

It's quite drinkable when cold, but drinkability declines as it warms- a pattern opposite what I usually prefer. It's unfortunate that this happens, as when drinking a brew of this style I don't like to hurry.

While it sounds like I'm trashing it, Dark Star is fairly tasty, but not my top pick. Definitely better than your average beer, but there are many better choices out there. I was hoping for the best after finding this beer from my hometown of Louisville, but next time I think I'll try one of their other styles.

4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

A bottle courtesy of kmpitz2.
I am pouring at room temp into a pint glass.
The beer pours a deep rich dark brown with only hints of mahogany at the edges of the glass. A creamy beige head of 1 cm foams up easily and clings to the sides of the glass as it recedes slowly to a sturdy surface layer.
The aroma is roasted malt predominantly with hints of chocolate and caramel as well. No hop presence that I can detect.
The first sip reveals a silky smooth body with fine yet tingly carbonation.
The flavor is similar to the nose, all malt. I get some sweet chocolate up front then roasted malt and some burnt caramel. The roasted flavor lingers on my palate for a bit. The beer is very easy to drink and I think I could down a few of these quite happily on any given nite. There is no hint of alcohol anywhere and the smoothness and good flavor make it a winner!

3.26/5  rDev -9.7%

Beer #7 (of 13) from my beer purchase in Indiana.

Bluegrass Dark Star Porter pours a (upon first glance) black color into my pint glass; when held up to the light, a dark brown/ruby color becomes evident. Atop the nearly (but not completely) opaque porter rests a 1", light brown head; this soon collapses down into a thick, soapy ring. Moderate carbonation and light lacing. The aroma is quite average: Chocolate and roasted coffee notes are present, as is a restrained "earthy" smell. That's it.

The taste is better than the smell, but not the appearance. The flavors seem to be a jumbled mix of dark chocolate, roasted coffee, toasted malts, and a mild floral bitterness; no one flavor dominates overall. Mouthfeel is quite light; the acidity of this beer combines with the lightness and fizziness of the mouthfeel to mount a small attack on the tongue. Finishes crisp, and leaves an acidic/coffee aftertaste.

This was my first beer from Kentucky; it started out with a great deal of promise once I poured it in the glass. However, I found myself liking it a bit less with each sip. I can't recommend it, given the large number of (in my opinion) better American stouts out there. However, as always, YMMV.

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz single, hauled by kmpitz2

is this one named for the dead song or is that strictly a coincidence? either way...

appearance: dark, almost pitch black, maybe a ruby tint, just maybe...very light brown head and creamy lacing

smell: cocoa powder, roasted malts, some coffee bean, a dark fruitiness going on in the background, earthy

taste: burnt coffee, cocoa powder, dark roast, dark fruit, some mild hoppiness, toasted malts...somthing missing here i think

mouthfeel: not as creamy as i'd like

drinkability: pretty drinkable