1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Homewrecker - Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's

HomewreckerHomewrecker

good

Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's visit their website
Kentucky, United States

Homewrecker is a double strength India Pale Ale, meaning hop bitterness, flavor and aroma take center stage, with plenty of malt character to support it. Brewed with over half a ton of pale, wheat and caramel malts, we then add nearly 30 lbs of hops to make one 7 barrel batch. American Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial and Cascade are added at 6 different points in the boil. Then we strain the hot unfermented ber through raw hops to further extract flavor and aroma. Be careful though, we pushed this one past 10 percent alcohol, so if you start to hallucinate, quickly chug a Michelob Ultra to sober up.

(Beer added by: kmpitz2 on 10-20-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 55 | Reviews: 43 | Show All Ratings:
mfanch8578

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

I am not a disagreeable person, but I tend to disagree with the past few reviews on this brew. I thought it was pretty freaking outstanding. Beer is not rocket science unless you want it to be. This was listed as a limited run. Served in a snifter from tap and was told that I was drinking from the last keg for now. Nice head and medium amber color. The hops used in this run was great. I was with my wife and told her I guessed it at 7-8 abv. The matron informed me this batch was 10.5. I thought that it was a very balanced brew, I liked it well enough that I bought a growler to take home to Indy. The growler beer was a little yeasty, but they were getting to the bottom of the last barrel. This was my first experience with BBC, so maybe they might be a little inconsistent, I don't know. I do know that the stuff I tasted was great.

04-15-2013 03:30:42 | More by mfanch8578
MarkBlackout

2.08/5  rDev -40.9%

This was a major disappointment. I had recalled reading good reviews from BBC (must have remembered incorrectly!) but this stuff is just all wrong. 105 IBU? Where? Sweet, fruity mess with lame hop character. I agree with the reviewer that said they might be able to pass this off as a strong ale or a barleywine, but I still wouldn't dig it and was looking forward to a fairly pricey $10 ($9?) DIPA, not a malty, thin, sticky swill that did indeed hide the alcohol well enough (behind all the sugar and slight bitterness), but that's about the only strong point on this brew. Avoid.

03-18-2012 11:03:31 | More by MarkBlackout
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +25.9%

much more of a barleywine then anything else, but reviewed from notes, this one killed me.

hazy brownish, copper with a huge creamy head that just stayed and stayed and stayed. Smell was incredibly hopped and fruity. Overwhelming citrus all over, wonderful on the nose. Taste is wooo, strong, this one grabs you. Incredible bitterness, and the alcohol will warm you on the way down. Very dry finish. Did I mention hops?!?! Wow, a great sipping beer(power to you if you can do anything else)

09-25-2011 23:48:17 | More by mikesgroove
seabass87

Kentucky

2.4/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured from 25.4 oz bottle into glass. ***Note: It doesn't give the ABV on the bottle, but several websites have it listed as 10% - review is based on that assumption.

From notes:

A- Miniscule head disappears quickly, and we are left with a glowing copper. No carbonation visible.

S- Smells sweeter than many IPA's... a bit llike fruity candy. Light apricot and peach, maybe a bit of tangerine. Very little hop scent here. Not sure what to expect...

T- I'm getting the apricot from the smell, and a hit of booze. You do get a fair amount of hops in the aftertaste, but they feel... Dull. The best way I can think to describe the taste is "flat." Shortly afterwards, the aftertaste is predominately warm alcohol. Considering the ABV, it isn't as boozy as some in this range, but it doesn't mask it terribly well either. I'm all for BBC trying something new and differing from the ultra-hoppy DIPA blueprint, but this one doesn't bring much to the forefront to take their place.

M- Some carbonation may have helped ease this beer's taste. Medium body. Dry finish. Nothing here to help the taste.

O- Allow me to say that I really enjoy the majority of BBC beers. Also, DIPA/IIPA are among my favorite styles... It seemed like a winning bet, but unfortunately this is one was a bit of a disappointment. Not the worst I've had, but I will not be getting this again. This was the first of a series of 25.4 oz BBCs that I bought at my local store... Hoping the other styles are better.

06-30-2011 02:17:59 | More by seabass87
Dotcubed

Arkansas

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

Bottle purchased a few years back in Lexington Ky.
Loud opening. Fuzzy copper retaining modest head.

Pours much foam, looks inviting for 3 year old bottle.
No idea true age as the brewer didn't date or code.

Sam Adams glass seems appropriate, made a good choice.

Smells mild, fruity bubble gum. Jucey Fruit?

Malty. Funky old cheese, bitter, dry.
Stilton like, but fruity.

Aggressive, blunt, past point of great.

Don't age. Consume.

04-24-2011 21:51:51 | More by Dotcubed
ferrari29

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from bottle into Tulip glass

A - Beer poured with a dark copper hue; white foam formed with a bubbly look; good amount of lacing formed on the edge of the glass

S - Malt and hop tones come out; grassy/pine back-end; hints of caramel are also sensed but need to be more powerful

T - Caramel and nutty flavors come up first; the drink has a good amount of sweetness and I was really impressed with the aftertaste, it wasn't too dry but nutty and smooth

M - Thin effervescent feel on the tongue; nutty taste and other flavors leave a good blend of flavor and texture

D - I was kind of hoping for more flavor and better aroma; the beer itself is a great blend of the right ingredients but needs a little more 'punch' in the smell area, otherwise the drink is smooth and I would recommend to other who enjoy Imperial IPA's

12-25-2010 06:55:53 | More by ferrari29
Khazadum

2.45/5  rDev -30.4%

Big thanks to Gibb for hooking me up with a box of BBC beers a while back.

A- This one had a huge problem generating head. It barely even had a full covering of its top before dying off into the barest collar and nothing else. Clear sailing on the top, however it is impossible to see through this one. Lots of single occupant flights taking off from the base of the glass and edges. The lacing that occurs is sparse, erratic, and tiny. It appears to be a burnt orange coloration with neon edging.

S- Something interesting here and I'm having a hard time placing my nose on it. Oxidized flavors... metals... Copper penny! The hops are an afterthought here. This must be an old bottle. I'd hate for this to be what it is fresh.

T- Opening is very malty. Sweet caramel laced on a biscuit. Unfortunately this is the curtain for the main show. It draws back and I'm left with full frontal assault from a million children whipping pennies at my mouth. Finish is like a drunken memory of what bitter hops could be.

M- Smooth, okay body, some carbonation issues, and lingering flavors that I really want to never experience again.

D- If this isn't an old bottle, may I never drink from this brewery again. It was such a disappointment. So much going wrong here. Painful to smell, painful to feel, and awful to taste.

10-30-2010 20:27:39 | More by Khazadum
indiapaleale

3.65/5  rDev +3.7%

Pour - dark orange to amber in color with a good inch of thick off-white foam. Not a bad looking pour.

Aroma - interesting. Not a blast of hops like some dIPAs I've known. Instead it has a vegetal sort of smell along with caramel, celery, brown sugar and a good dose of alcohol.

Taste - sweet and boozy come to mind as this washes the inside of my mouth and on the tongue. There is some tart apple, soft vanilla and possibly Ringwood yeast. At least it has that sort of Ringwood (buttery) flavor. Where are the hops? Well, any big IPA is going to need a lot of malt and that seems to take center stage. However, the finish is strong and bitter with some serious alcohol warmth. This may not be a typical Double IPA but I am enjoying it nonetheless. If I was judging purely on style that would be one thing but I simply talk about my own experiences with beer.

Overall - If this was labeled as a Strong Ale I think people would really go for it but as a Double IPA it may leave you scratching your head (especially after reading the description). That being said, I really liked it regardless of the style guidelines.

Would I buy more of it? - I'd love to try it super fresh and on tap to see if I am missing anything with a bottle whose age I am not totally sure.

Thanks goes out to BEERchitect for this one!

02-21-2010 17:21:41 | More by indiapaleale
BeerBelcher

2.6/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am no brewer, I have no brewing credentials; but I have drank a decent variety of beer, and it seems to me that RIS's and DIPAs are two styles where it is hard to do wrong - pack as much flavor into the bottle as you can, and people will like it. And yet, somehow, I felt this beer fell short.

It was a cloudy orange color with a medium amount of soapy head that faded to little lily ponds of bubbles (pretty standard for a DIPA - although far more opaque than most). Aroma was quite mild, but was hoppy, although rather faintly so for a beer of this style. Flavor was over-done on the malty side - grainy and overly malty. A little too much malted milk ball flavor. Mouthfeel was a tad flat.

All-in-all a drinkable but not overly pleasant beer. I would not recommend.

02-08-2010 21:30:30 | More by BeerBelcher
Ragingbull

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

Copper color with a frothy foam head. Mildly hoppy nose. Fresh and smooth attack that is almost creamy. The mouthfeel is creamy for certain and it seems that the hops can be felt in the mouth much more than they can be detected in the flavor. The flavor of the hops presents late in the flavor and present much more harshly in the aftertaste than they do in the flavor. The malt body does a good job of concealing the hops in the flavor. Honestly, I found the hops to almost be "mild" in the sense that the for a Double IPA I expected it to be hoppier. Decent to drink, and glad I did.

I ended up with a headache later that caused me to recall a bout with Pocono lager and Sam Adams Fuggles IPA in the past. I don't know why or if this has anything to do with the price of tea in China, but its an observation.

07-17-2009 14:23:26 | More by Ragingbull
hopdog

3.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottles acquired in trades with jimbowood & merlin48 (thanks!).

Poured a medium and clear orange/amber color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of caramel, earthy, orange peels, fruity, citrus and alcohol. Tastes of orange peels, citrus, caramel, and pine. Higher alcohol burn in the finish. Body was on the over carbonated side.

Notes from 3/27/07

12-17-2008 15:22:24 | More by hopdog
HIFF

3.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This brew was good but not spectacular for a DIPA. Dark orange in color, usual smell, good head. Moon crater lacing my specialty according to Swifty McBeer. Good hoppy flavor could of been stronger for a double. Great feel in mouth adequate carbonation could drink many of these. Overall good brew but with all the competion out their could be better.

12-08-2008 01:36:52 | More by HIFF
SwiftyMcBeer

3.43/5  rDev -2.6%

Shared a 22oz with Bheilman and Hiff at the Trion in New Haven. Good looking beer with a solid foamy head and above average IPA type smells. Reminded me of a really nice forest, maybe just not my favorite forest in the world like the top IPA styles do. The head lingered and cratered like the moon as I dove into my glass, I like that in a beer every now and then . . . it's a cool look. Doesn't work all the time, here it does On the drinking side of things, this is a slightly above average brew. It won't offend and you will enjoy your time with it, but just 90 minutes after the fact, I struggle to think of anything memorable in the taste department. I want more out of a Double IPA, then again, it is one of my favorite styles so I am probably a tough judge.

12-07-2008 22:02:22 | More by SwiftyMcBeer
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.03/5  rDev -13.9%

Ferric oxide orange with bright tangerine trim. The beer is generously bubbled, stopping just short of crazily bubbled. The result is four full fingers of orangish beige foam that is stiff, airy and impressively persistent. In the end, a few moth-eaten sheets of lace find their way to the glass.

The nose isn't anywhere near as hoppy as it should be. The olfactory spotlight is shared by caramel, orange rind and alcohol. Actually, spotlight is an inappropriate word since dullness reigns. A DIPA with a lackluster nose is unlikely to impress the taste buds.

This isn't bad beer, but it is woefully underhopped beer. As is the case with many less than expertly crafted DIPAs, hop bitterness is much more noticeable than hop flavor. With such beauties as Cascade, Simcoe and Columbus in the house, Homewrecker qualifies as an opportunity lost.

Malt flavor leans more toward caramel than pale (think SN Celebration Ale). Homewrecker isn't nearly that good, of course. Other specifics include orange peel, pine tar, an herbal woodiness and more fusel alcohol than should be present, no matter the ABV. What was proving to be a tough call on the taste score during the first glass is now an obvious one.

Subsequent pours look decent... until the foam collapses and the glass remains almost untouched. Looks like my first impression was the correct one. Thanks to bubbles that give up the ghost too early in each mouthful, the mouthfeel collapses quickly, which results in an overly thin (and slick) finish. Not a recipe for success.

What is it with Bluegrass and 750 ml bottles? First Mephistopheles' Metamorphosis, then Professor Gesser's Mind Numbing Ale, and now Homewrecker. None of them have been anything to write home about. Some of their stuff is good, so it has to be an issue with quality control. Unless you feel like rolling the dice, spend your hard-earned $8.99 elsewhere.

11-01-2008 21:13:41 | More by BuckeyeNation
tpd975

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: pours a nice golden orange colored hue with an obscene head. The head is at least 3 fingers tall and lasts and lasts. Tons of carbonation noted with millions of bubbles risnig to the top. Wonderful thick chunky lace.

S: Very malt forward. Tons of rich sweet caramel malt with hints of citrus and pine.

T: Not as good as I thought it would be. I expected hop bomb from a beer that labels its self Homewrecker. It is very balanced with caramel malt beating out piney hops which is accented by a bit of citrus.

M: Full bodied brew with an insane amount of carbonation.

D: Good, but I wish it was a bit more hop forward.

10-27-2008 22:23:15 | More by tpd975
GClarkage

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%

10/02/08- Generously shared with BA member Talisker.

Presentation- 750ml bottle...did not look for freshness info. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Deep orange in color pour. As stated by everyone else...a larger than life head that takes up more than half the glass on a slow pour. Lacing is quite nice with lots of chunks and patches.

Smell- Quite unlike a traditional DIPA nose. Smells remarkably like and English Barleywine. Lots of deep sweet roasted caramel, plus the added nose of intense not fruit scent hops. The beer smells carmelly and not juicy like many DIPA's

Taste- Even tastes like an English Barleywine...although the DIPA flavor comes through more than it does in the nose. Lots of hops...Ehtan guessed Simcoe, which may be dead on as my stomack was buring quite a bit last night. I saw much more sweet caramel malt though...It was kinda balanced, but something didn't quite sit right. Off flavors, but I can't really describe it. I liked it, yet at times I didn't. Either way, the hops are potent.

Mouthfeel- Mid level carbonation with a deep buring after the hops settle in. Seems a bit foamy.

Drinkability- It was drinkable, both enjoyable at times and painful at others....don't really know about this beer. Think I might be being a bit generous. I probably would not try this one again because the good aspects didn't outweigh the pain. Plenty of other good DIPA's that don't set your stomach on fire.

10-03-2008 16:37:22 | More by GClarkage
ckeegan04

2.5/5  rDev -29%

A - HUGE HUGE head. Very gentle pour into pint glass resulted in about a 4 finger head. Orangish-brown in color and excellent lacing.

S - Somewhat sour in the nose with citrusy hops coming through. A somewhat funky smell for a DIPA.

T - A somewhat sour taste up front with a sweet caramel backing. The citrus hops begin to come through later in the drink and it finishes with a nice graprefruit and lemon bitterness. The taste up front is just way too funky for a DIPA.

M/D - Medium bodied and puckering to the mouth. The off tastes are just too much to make this real drinkable...especially for a 750ml bottle.

09-14-2008 19:37:39 | More by ckeegan04
iconoklaztor

3.7/5  rDev +5.1%

this suckers head is massive! It just keeps going and going. The smell is a little odd. Its almost lambic like. Its very sour and fruity. Wierd.

The taste isnt hoppy at all and is a little dull although its still enjoyable.

Overall, I wasnt expecting the world thankfully,but I did get an ejoyable IPA not DIPA. IMHO of course

09-10-2008 00:36:23 | More by iconoklaztor
KeefD

4.13/5  rDev +17.3%

750ml bottle with gold foil around the neck. Cool label, with a tornado ripping a house from the ground. Opens with a nice fizz. A strong burst of alcohol and citrus exits the bottle. I take a closer smell and it's all orange and grapefruit. Poured into my Duvel tulip, creating a nice 3-finger, orange-cream head. Lots of carbonation filling this dark amber brew, keeping head retention tight. Another smell in the glass, and some bready malts start coming through, but then overtaken by the piney, citrusy hop aroma. Quite sweet out front, but dries up in the middle and most certainly on the finish. Taste of sweet, bready malts on the front of the tongue, and a dry hop bitterness on the back. Enough hop oil flavor to go around, bitter grapefruit rinds, and hints of orange spice. Full-bodied, good carbonation, somewhat syrupy, but it's rather creamy while the foam sticks around. Becomes a bit more sweet, and slightly more thick as it warms. Definite alcohol presence, probably somewhere between 8.5-10% ABV, as it is quite warming and can be felt. An all around good brew. My first and only from BBC. I'll have to try some more of their offerings next time in KY.

08-07-2008 02:43:41 | More by KeefD
tiger88

Alabama

3.48/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a hazy golden-orange. Tight, two finger off white head forms and slowly sinks into the ale leaving a light khaki ring aroud the glass. Smells strongly of citrus and pine notes with alcohol creeping through. Taste is pretty fair for an IPA. Citrus comes to the forereont and the alcohol takes a presence. The earthy and pine tongue comes out next leaving a slight bitterness in the mouth. Mouthfeel is fairly light considering the taste. A little bitterness lingers but no for too long. Drinkability is fair due to the "IPA" factor.

07-18-2008 04:37:32 | More by tiger88
ChainGangGuy

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, dark amber body with a medium-sized, fizzy, ivory-colored head.

Smell: Caramelly scent bolstered by a myriad of fruit juices: peach, apricot, and grapefruit. A few shakes of white pepper and then a few more.

Taste: Toasted caramel maltiness with all those added sweetened fruit juices. Medium-high hop bitterness. Plenty of peppery spice. A drizzle of pine resin. Your tongue gets a pinch from the alcohol. Later rebound hints from the malt here and there. Bittersweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Moderate, tongue-tingling carbonation - the kind you'd expect in a beer coming out of Belgium.

Drinkability: Pleasantly tolerable DIPA sporting an unabashed booziness and (more than) ample carbonation!

05-04-2008 22:53:24 | More by ChainGangGuy
ATLbeerDog

Georgia

Pours deep orange red with a beautiful ¼ inch head and heavy lacing. Super nice carbonated. Nice hoppy malt smell. Bold bourbon-malt flavor that is smooth and balanced. The 10 ABV is well hidden. The hops does not balance well with the malts. This is a disappointment. There are much better DIPA's out there.

05-03-2008 22:08:52 | More by ATLbeerDog
ohmybock

2.28/5  rDev -35.2%

I just picked up a large bottle of this one at a Liquor Barn while passing through Louisville. The bottle says it's bottle-conditioned, but there's no hint of a bottling date or freshness date.

The bottle opened with a forceful release of CO2. It poured a murky amber color with a creamy finger or two of head. The aroma was lacking fresh hops. After tasting this brew, I just don't see how it can be fresh, but without a date...who knows for sure? There aren't any off-flavors, but you're really only left with an aged malt character and a fairly clean bitterness...and no hops in the flavor either. Does BBC really intend this beer to taste like it does? I'm not totally sure, but I doubt it. I really wish I could taste a brewery-fresh version of this one. It really sucks when breweries don't use any form of date-coding on their bottles! As it stands, I got ripped off by buying these bottles of beer. (I also bought a bottle of Professor Gesser's IPA at the same store. Guess what? Same problem...but even worse tasting beer which I ended up dumping just like the Homewrecker.) ARGH! Come on BBC, date-code your bottles! It appears BBC took the time to hand-bottled these special brews. Why not go ahead and include a month/year bottling date as well, even if it's just hand-written on the label? I've bought beers from other breweries which had hand-written numbers on them. I'm guessing these BBC beers might be quite good when fresh, but now I'm afraid to buy any more BBC brews when passing through KY.

04-21-2008 22:03:26 | More by ohmybock
drseamus

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Dark amber with a very thick off white head.

S: Big citrusy piney hop aromas. I can also smell a pretty good malt profile.

T: Nice piney and malty flavor. Pretty good balance even for a DIPA. Long bitter aftertaste.

M: Nice and thick bodied.

D: Not bad, not great.

03-19-2008 04:50:03 | More by drseamus
Dansting

Kansas

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

Bottle from the brewpub. Poured a clear copper color with a thick, white head. Aroma is fruity with citrus tones to it, but not as much as most other DIPAs I've had. Flavor is more malty than hoppy, which I think is odd for the style. Bitter, yet light grapefruit finish. Certainly not the best DIPA I've had.

09-12-2007 02:25:13 | More by Dansting