Homewrecker - Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's

HomewreckerHomewrecker

good

Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's visit their website
Kentucky, United States

Homewrecker is a double strength India Pale Ale, meaning hop bitterness, flavor and aroma take center stage, with plenty of malt character to support it. Brewed with over half a ton of pale, wheat and caramel malts, we then add nearly 30 lbs of hops to make one 7 barrel batch. American Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial and Cascade are added at 6 different points in the boil. Then we strain the hot unfermented ber through raw hops to further extract flavor and aroma. Be careful though, we pushed this one past 10 percent alcohol, so if you start to hallucinate, quickly chug a Michelob Ultra to sober up.

(Beer added by: kmpitz2 on 10-20-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by seabass87:
seabass87

2.4/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured from 25.4 oz bottle into glass. ***Note: It doesn't give the ABV on the bottle, but several websites have it listed as 10% - review is based on that assumption.

From notes:

A- Miniscule head disappears quickly, and we are left with a glowing copper. No carbonation visible.

S- Smells sweeter than many IPA's... a bit llike fruity candy. Light apricot and peach, maybe a bit of tangerine. Very little hop scent here. Not sure what to expect...

T- I'm getting the apricot from the smell, and a hit of booze. You do get a fair amount of hops in the aftertaste, but they feel... Dull. The best way I can think to describe the taste is "flat." Shortly afterwards, the aftertaste is predominately warm alcohol. Considering the ABV, it isn't as boozy as some in this range, but it doesn't mask it terribly well either. I'm all for BBC trying something new and differing from the ultra-hoppy DIPA blueprint, but this one doesn't bring much to the forefront to take their place.

M- Some carbonation may have helped ease this beer's taste. Medium body. Dry finish. Nothing here to help the taste.

O- Allow me to say that I really enjoy the majority of BBC beers. Also, DIPA/IIPA are among my favorite styles... It seemed like a winning bet, but unfortunately this is one was a bit of a disappointment. Not the worst I've had, but I will not be getting this again. This was the first of a series of 25.4 oz BBCs that I bought at my local store... Hoping the other styles are better.

06-30-2011 02:17:59 | More by seabass87

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

04-25-2013 01:48:19 | More by Highstplz
mfanch8578

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

I am not a disagreeable person, but I tend to disagree with the past few reviews on this brew. I thought it was pretty freaking outstanding. Beer is not rocket science unless you want it to be. This was listed as a limited run. Served in a snifter from tap and was told that I was drinking from the last keg for now. Nice head and medium amber color. The hops used in this run was great. I was with my wife and told her I guessed it at 7-8 abv. The matron informed me this batch was 10.5. I thought that it was a very balanced brew, I liked it well enough that I bought a growler to take home to Indy. The growler beer was a little yeasty, but they were getting to the bottom of the last barrel. This was my first experience with BBC, so maybe they might be a little inconsistent, I don't know. I do know that the stuff I tasted was great.

04-15-2013 03:30:42 | More by mfanch8578

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

05-24-2012 01:48:22 | More by kawilliams81
MarkBlackout

2.08/5  rDev -40.9%

This was a major disappointment. I had recalled reading good reviews from BBC (must have remembered incorrectly!) but this stuff is just all wrong. 105 IBU? Where? Sweet, fruity mess with lame hop character. I agree with the reviewer that said they might be able to pass this off as a strong ale or a barleywine, but I still wouldn't dig it and was looking forward to a fairly pricey $10 ($9?) DIPA, not a malty, thin, sticky swill that did indeed hide the alcohol well enough (behind all the sugar and slight bitterness), but that's about the only strong point on this brew. Avoid.

03-18-2012 11:03:31 | More by MarkBlackout

11-15-2011 04:00:51 | More by Exiled
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +25.9%

much more of a barleywine then anything else, but reviewed from notes, this one killed me.

hazy brownish, copper with a huge creamy head that just stayed and stayed and stayed. Smell was incredibly hopped and fruity. Overwhelming citrus all over, wonderful on the nose. Taste is wooo, strong, this one grabs you. Incredible bitterness, and the alcohol will warm you on the way down. Very dry finish. Did I mention hops?!?! Wow, a great sipping beer(power to you if you can do anything else)

09-25-2011 23:48:17 | More by mikesgroove
Dotcubed

Arkansas

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

Bottle purchased a few years back in Lexington Ky.
Loud opening. Fuzzy copper retaining modest head.

Pours much foam, looks inviting for 3 year old bottle.
No idea true age as the brewer didn't date or code.

Sam Adams glass seems appropriate, made a good choice.

Smells mild, fruity bubble gum. Jucey Fruit?

Malty. Funky old cheese, bitter, dry.
Stilton like, but fruity.

Aggressive, blunt, past point of great.

Don't age. Consume.

04-24-2011 21:51:51 | More by Dotcubed
ferrari29

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from bottle into Tulip glass

A - Beer poured with a dark copper hue; white foam formed with a bubbly look; good amount of lacing formed on the edge of the glass

S - Malt and hop tones come out; grassy/pine back-end; hints of caramel are also sensed but need to be more powerful

T - Caramel and nutty flavors come up first; the drink has a good amount of sweetness and I was really impressed with the aftertaste, it wasn't too dry but nutty and smooth

M - Thin effervescent feel on the tongue; nutty taste and other flavors leave a good blend of flavor and texture

D - I was kind of hoping for more flavor and better aroma; the beer itself is a great blend of the right ingredients but needs a little more 'punch' in the smell area, otherwise the drink is smooth and I would recommend to other who enjoy Imperial IPA's

12-25-2010 06:55:53 | More by ferrari29
Khazadum

2.45/5  rDev -30.4%

Big thanks to Gibb for hooking me up with a box of BBC beers a while back.

A- This one had a huge problem generating head. It barely even had a full covering of its top before dying off into the barest collar and nothing else. Clear sailing on the top, however it is impossible to see through this one. Lots of single occupant flights taking off from the base of the glass and edges. The lacing that occurs is sparse, erratic, and tiny. It appears to be a burnt orange coloration with neon edging.

S- Something interesting here and I'm having a hard time placing my nose on it. Oxidized flavors... metals... Copper penny! The hops are an afterthought here. This must be an old bottle. I'd hate for this to be what it is fresh.

T- Opening is very malty. Sweet caramel laced on a biscuit. Unfortunately this is the curtain for the main show. It draws back and I'm left with full frontal assault from a million children whipping pennies at my mouth. Finish is like a drunken memory of what bitter hops could be.

M- Smooth, okay body, some carbonation issues, and lingering flavors that I really want to never experience again.

D- If this isn't an old bottle, may I never drink from this brewery again. It was such a disappointment. So much going wrong here. Painful to smell, painful to feel, and awful to taste.

10-30-2010 20:27:39 | More by Khazadum
indiapaleale

3.65/5  rDev +3.7%

Pour - dark orange to amber in color with a good inch of thick off-white foam. Not a bad looking pour.

Aroma - interesting. Not a blast of hops like some dIPAs I've known. Instead it has a vegetal sort of smell along with caramel, celery, brown sugar and a good dose of alcohol.

Taste - sweet and boozy come to mind as this washes the inside of my mouth and on the tongue. There is some tart apple, soft vanilla and possibly Ringwood yeast. At least it has that sort of Ringwood (buttery) flavor. Where are the hops? Well, any big IPA is going to need a lot of malt and that seems to take center stage. However, the finish is strong and bitter with some serious alcohol warmth. This may not be a typical Double IPA but I am enjoying it nonetheless. If I was judging purely on style that would be one thing but I simply talk about my own experiences with beer.

Overall - If this was labeled as a Strong Ale I think people would really go for it but as a Double IPA it may leave you scratching your head (especially after reading the description). That being said, I really liked it regardless of the style guidelines.

Would I buy more of it? - I'd love to try it super fresh and on tap to see if I am missing anything with a bottle whose age I am not totally sure.

Thanks goes out to BEERchitect for this one!

02-21-2010 17:21:41 | More by indiapaleale
BeerBelcher

2.6/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am no brewer, I have no brewing credentials; but I have drank a decent variety of beer, and it seems to me that RIS's and DIPAs are two styles where it is hard to do wrong - pack as much flavor into the bottle as you can, and people will like it. And yet, somehow, I felt this beer fell short.

It was a cloudy orange color with a medium amount of soapy head that faded to little lily ponds of bubbles (pretty standard for a DIPA - although far more opaque than most). Aroma was quite mild, but was hoppy, although rather faintly so for a beer of this style. Flavor was over-done on the malty side - grainy and overly malty. A little too much malted milk ball flavor. Mouthfeel was a tad flat.

All-in-all a drinkable but not overly pleasant beer. I would not recommend.

02-08-2010 21:30:30 | More by BeerBelcher
Ragingbull

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

Copper color with a frothy foam head. Mildly hoppy nose. Fresh and smooth attack that is almost creamy. The mouthfeel is creamy for certain and it seems that the hops can be felt in the mouth much more than they can be detected in the flavor. The flavor of the hops presents late in the flavor and present much more harshly in the aftertaste than they do in the flavor. The malt body does a good job of concealing the hops in the flavor. Honestly, I found the hops to almost be "mild" in the sense that the for a Double IPA I expected it to be hoppier. Decent to drink, and glad I did.

I ended up with a headache later that caused me to recall a bout with Pocono lager and Sam Adams Fuggles IPA in the past. I don't know why or if this has anything to do with the price of tea in China, but its an observation.

07-17-2009 14:23:26 | More by Ragingbull