Sheltowee Hop-A-Lot IPA - Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's

Sheltowee Hop-A-Lot IPASheltowee Hop-A-Lot IPA

Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's visit their website
Kentucky, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-12-2007

Sheltowee Hop-a-Lot IPA is a contract brewed beer for sales in Kentucky regional Liquor Barn retailers only.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.02/5  rDev +5.5%

I was skeptical of this beer when I first saw it due to the fact that it's brewed for Liquor Barn. This caused me to think "Store Brand." However, some good feedback on this site encouraged me to buy it. I'm glad I did.

The beer pours a deep copper color with a tan head. Lots of nice lacing is left on the glass. Lots of juicy, citrussy, grapefruity hops show up on the nose, along with caramel and alcohol.

The tastes starts off with some good juicy sweetness followed by a big whollop of bitterness that sticks around forever. Alcohol also shows up on the taste, with a nice full mouthfeel.

This is a damn good IPA. Possibly my favorite beer I've had from BBC. (667 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

This is a decent enough IPA - It apparently is only available at Liquor Barn stores and made by local brewer BBC. Pours out a orange amber with good head retention. The smell is fruity hops and the flavor is dominated by these hops. I found it a tad on the sweet side but nothing that detracted from the beer. If you happen to be in a Liquor Barn give this a try as it is between a buck and buck and a half less than many other similar beers. (446 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

A big thanks to mmm///beer for this one, my first Kentucky brew! Pours a cloudy amber color with a medium white head, with lots of lacing. The aroma is tons of caramel malts, and an equally large amount of hops, mostly grapefruit notes. The flavor very nice; a hefty amount of caramel and earthy malts attempt to balance out the powerful bitter hops. The hops are mostly bitter metallic and citrus notes. Leaves your palate with a zesty hop bite. Quite nice. The alcohol adds some warmth, but overall is subdued. (512 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance: Pours an amberish orange color…dark and transparent, there’s little bubble action happening…a thin, off white layer of head forms, but settles into something almost non-existent…swirling it around only brings back temporary life…pretty average…(3.5/5)

Smell: Woodsy, dank hops right off the bat, I could smell the dank bitterness as soon as the cap came off the bottle…it’s very musky, which I’ve been seeing more of lately in the IPA’s I’ve been trying…I also get some sweet, toasted, bisciuty, caramel malt action that has a spiciness to it that’s a mix of rye and black pepper… not an “American” style IPA, very little citrus or zestiness of any kind…(3.5/5)

Taste: Earthy, mildly dank hops up front…malts are toasted and biscuity, adding to the overall earthiness of the flavor… spicy, herbal, piney hops are noticeable after my palate gets over the initial earthy overthrow (and the beer warms)…there is a light citrus freshness that does hit the outside of my tongue after every swallow…the flavor I have to say, gets better as it warms in my glass…very much a traditional style IPA, nothing overly citrus about this…(3.65/5)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, with medium to full carbonation…brew fluffs bringing earthy bitterness mixed with biscuity maltness to the palate…mildly chewy…earthy, damp woodsy bitterness lingers well into the after taste…(3.5/5)

Overall: This is a good brew…it’s definitely more of a traditional style IPA, very earthy and biscuity…as it warms, it becomes more complex, bringing some noticeable spiciness…while this isn’t my favorite style of IPA, this one isn’t that bad and is something I would actually drink again…9.0% ABV is high and not too apparent in the overall flavor, but I’m sure after a couple of these I’d be feelin’ good…if you see it on a mix-a-six rack, it’s worth picking one up, but don’t expect too much…for me, one is all my palate can handle…(3.5/5)

Brewreport.blogspot.com (2,032 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Bottled in January 2011. Gotta say I don't have very high hopes for this one. Being a Liquor Barn exclusive and a double IPA at such a cheap price point, I'm skeptical, but here goes.

A - About average for an IPA/DIPA not a huge head but actually great lacing from the tiny disc on top. Amber in color. Only slightly hazy.

S - Flowery and fresh smelling. Pretty citrusy smelling as well as another note... I'm not sure if I like it.. its a somewhat grassy hop note but also smells kinda astringent? idk, no big deal it just smells a little off.

T - Pretty darn good. Its actually a very decent offering from a local brewery. Mmm citrusy and fresh up front with a lasting bitterness to follow. Not sure what kinda hops went into this, but I'm pretty surprised how good it is. That smell comes back into a grassy bitterness so I guess its just the hops.

M - Medium body and decent carbonation

D - I cannot tell this beer is 8 percent alcohol at all. I cannot taste it all. The bitterness is pretty heavy, but for a hop lover its absolutely great. I picked this up as a single to try and I'll def be getting a sixer sometime in the future.

Kentuckians, pick up a sixer at your local Liquorbarn!!! Its greatly priced and you will appreciate it!. (1,247 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.2%

Picked this up at a Liquor Barn location in Louisville, KY. Bottled in May of 2011. Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A - A murky mix of brown and orange hues. Has a white head which leaves extensive lacing.

S - Only minimal hops on the nose. More of a malty and grainy quality. Does not smell like an IPA.

T - Piney hops come through on the taste up front on a sweet malt backbone. Not overpowering.

M - Medium body with a gentle carbonation.

Hops come through on the taste but definitely not the smell. An average beer. (530 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Pours to a soft foamy one to two finger head. Cloudy and orangish in color.

S: Subtle mixture of hops and malt.

T: Well balanced taste of hops and malt.

M: A bit sharp up front with a medium body. Fades to a satisfying dryness.

D: A very good IPA brewed specially for Liquor Barn. Wish I lived out there so I could take home a growler of this stuff. Was a steal at $6.99 for a 6'er.

Bottled on date of Feb 09

Served in an imperial pint glass (450 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

12oz into a small stein

a-nice dark amber color, slight cloudiness
s-nice floral citrus smell, makes me think of hopslam but not quite as many hops
t-very similar to the smell, still reminds me of hopslam but not all the hops, a good bitter through the sip or drink
m-not bad, good tingle,wet finish
overall- this is becoming a default beer since its easily accessibly and very price conscious for the abv, you dont notice the 8% at all

get some if you can (462 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz. bottle. A new Bluegrass Brewing Co. brew made just for the Liquor Barn stores. No mention of the BBC except for small print at the side of the label and the usual BBC bottle cap. Is 8%ABV a double IPA? Seems like the high side of a plain ol' IPA to me but that may be picking nits.

Slightly hazy copper with an offwhite head. Pretty good retention with a little left behind on the glass. Big Amarillo hop aroma over some sugary, bready malt. Amarillo always has a striking resmeblance to some sort of fruit pee to me. Not my favorite, but it is done well here.

Sugar and pears roll across the tongue with a solid hop bitterness chasing. The bitterness wins in the finish and hangs out to hop up and down for a while in a haze of alcohol. Hop flavor is not as pronounced as the aroma but it is definitely present throughout, just hanging out for the ride.

Medium light body with just a tad under a medium carbonation provides a nice smooth mouthfeel. Drinkability would be very high if it weren't for the sticking heavy bitter. Not a bad thing in a big IPA.

Very well brewed, worth seeking out unless you don't like the choice of hop. I think I paid $6.99 for the six. A steal compared to the better known brands and quality is as good as, if not better than, the better American IPAs out there.. (1,305 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from the bottle a dark rosey amber with a thin white head that dissapated quickly. Smell was dominated by hops pine and floral with a small amount of citrus in the nose. Taste is floral orange and lemon up front with a small amount of malt in the middle with a dry finish of pine and cut grass hops. Mouthfeel was a little on the thin side for a double but habd decent carbonation and body. Drinkability was nice very clean and crisp IPA. Would have another but not my favorite of this style. (499 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%

An excellent IPA made by the Bluegrass Brewing Company especially for Liquor Barn. I took home a growler of Hop-A-Lot instead of a 6pk this time.

This beer pours a nice orangish amber color. The aroma is full of pine resin, citrus and floral hops. The taste has a huge hop characteristic. A perfect beer for hop-heads! A slight malt backbone is dominated by the hop.

A similar feel to the BBC APA, yet bigger and stronger. The alcohol content (8%) is hidden underneath the flavor. You are not going to be able to find this kind of big and bold IPA for $6.99 for either a growler or 6pk anywhere.

So check out your nearest Liquor Barn and grab a growler or 6pk. (664 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

12 oz. bottle from Tmoney99.

Pours a deep amber color with a medium beige head.

The aroma has moderately sweet caramel malt goodness with an equally impressive floral and citrus hop presence.

The flavor is well balanced with a caramel/toffee malt backbone and floral, earthy, and light citrus hops coming together nicely.

The bitterness lingers well into the finish in a good way. This was a surprise because it had no hype, but is definitely a very solid beer. (469 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks for this one Kevin.

A: A hazy orange amber pour with a nice foamy head. Minimal lacing on the glass.

S: Pretty sweet malt with a touch of grapefruit, but just a touch. I was expecting more hops on the aroma.

T: Goes down easy with a piney hop bite, but finished very dry. Definitely a unique taste with this one, but the finish is too dry for my liking.

M & D: Full-bodied and creamy. Carbonation is heavy but it works for this one. Not my favorite IPA, but if you don't mind the very dry finish you could have a couple of these no problem. (551 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

Sheltowee Hop-a-Lot poured into an etched DFH snifter, consumed on 4/23/12. Case is stamped Feb. 2012 but bottle date is notched Jan. 2012 Not really sure what's going on there.

A- Small off-white head dissipates to a thin sheet that persists to the end. Spotty lacing. Deep red-amber body with tiny little floaties. Poor Clarity.

S- Some Citrus hops right off the bat. Then a fair amount of malt, some sweetness. Maybe even some English and/or noble hops in there. As it warms it gets even more maltier and "non-American".

T- Moderate-high bitterness supported by a bold malt character. I swear I think they may have used some English malt in this as well. Citrusy, resiny and slightly piney hops. I'm also getting what seems to be some notes of spicy/herbal/floral UK hops. Malt and bitterness linger in the aftertaste. Overall, the taste is good but not great and not what I look for in an Imperial or American IPA. As it warms the flavor goes through the same transformation the smell does, maltier and less American character.

M- Really great mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation, medium body. Creamy & coats the mouth well. Finishes a little dry.

O- I really think this bottle is a little past it's prime but it was the only Hop-a-Lot I could find after going to 3 different Liquor Barns. There are many other Imperial IPAs I'd rather drink but for the price this can not be beat. I've let this variable weigh into the overall impression rating. Come on, where else you gonna find a $1 Imperial IPA!?!? This is American macro pricing! (1,540 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

first review
With an agressive pour I got about a 1/2 inch of off white head that receded pretty quickly. Initially, after a few sips, a bit of lacing was left, but it was pretty insubstantial, and it slowly worked its way down the inside of the glass. The beer has an attractive amber hue, and when held up to the light the orange highlights are quite nice. For me,the beer has a more earthy hop aroma than citrus, or pine. It is not bad, but it isn't a bright fresh smell, more earthy (as I repeat myself), or funky. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this beer, I enjoy funk. The flavor pretty much mirrored the aroma, but with the malts adding a nice sweet graininess that balanced the bitterness quite nicely. Considering the style and abv, I thought the mouthfeel was really quite good, medium full? smooth, with enough carbonation to keep it lively, but still quite easy to drink. 8% does not a session make, but Hop-A-Lot is really easy (and enjoyable) to drink. (965 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +21.8%

Filled a growler at Liquor Barn @ Beaumont Center in Lex, KY. Poured to pint glass.

A: Pleasantly dark for an IPA--Small white head, thin lacing down the glass.

S: Piney, Flowery hops.

T: Hops, Hops, Hops!! Good floral accents and lasting flavour.

M: Distinctly carbonated, smooth, and refreshing.

D: I like to drink one on my 30 minute lunch break, but it's also nice to sip for hours.

Only $6.99, will definitely get more until they take it away! (454 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last