India Pale Ale - Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's

pDev: 0%
Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's visit their website
Kentucky, United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: jkrich on 05-10-2008)
3.25/5  rDev 0%

I had a 20 oz. pint glass of this ale at a local eatery on the Ohio River in Jeffersonville, Indiana.

The appearance was surprisingly dark for an american style IPA; it was a dark amber, almost the color of tea and slightly hazy. There was no head or lace when the ale arrived at my table.

This one had a very fresh, intense northwest hop aroma.

The taste was an almost one dimensional hop bitterness with very faint malt flavor; this one actually bordered on unpleasant bitterness, and I enjoy a hop accented ale. As the ale warmed, I could slowly detect some malt flavor pushing through. The best part of the ale was the last couple of sips as the beer was at room temperature; the malt actually began to round out the bitterness.

The mouthfeel was thin-bodied and left a coating of unpleasant bitterness on the tongue. This one is best at room temperature. I don't know what the ABV is with this one, but the twenty ounces was more than enough. I don't often drink BBC beers even though it is brewed locally. After this one, I realize why I tend to shy away. This was not a bad beer but not one I would seek out again.

jkrich, May 10, 2008
India Pale Ale from Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.