Bourbon Barrel Bearded Pat's Barleywine - Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's

Bourbon Barrel Bearded Pat's Barleywine
No picture uploaded.

Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's visit their website
Kentucky, United States

American Barleywine |  11.00% ABV

Also known as Wooden Pat.

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 08-17-2010)
levi_shanks

07-26-2013 06:38:08 | More by levi_shanks
jsurfs82

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

05-05-2013 19:48:56 | More by jsurfs82
ZombiesAteMyDog

Indiana

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

On-tap at Gravity Head 2012... Keg from 2009.

A - Translucent warm chestnut color with a small khaki head and nice lacing.

S - Big bourbon/wood, smoky, burnt sugar, toffee, raisins, very boozy.

T - I'm glad this was three years old; it's still quite boozy. Flavors follow the nose, but aren't as strong. There is a strong sweetness near the end. Some vanilla followed by a nice alcohol burn. Sophisticated redneck?

M -Very syrupy; it coats the pallet. Low carbonation with a medium body.

O - $2.75 for a 10oz pour is hard to beat for a barrel-aged barleywine. There's still a bit too much bourbon, I wonder how long it set in the barrels. Quite good, but I'd like to see it in another year or two.

03-10-2012 00:02:25 | More by ZombiesAteMyDog

mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

from notes

pour was a nice dark color, nearly black with a big head of chocolate colored foam that seemed to stick the sides nearly perfectly before letting itself down. Aroma was deep roasted malts, hints of hops, a burning, alcohol and a nice rounded leather like touch. Interesting mix here and it did come off a touch hot for me, but at the same time really did seem to work quite nicely. Light on the feel so definitely not too syrupy or full it just went down smooth and easy.

09-25-2011 22:09:09 | More by mikesgroove
jampics2

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

On tap at Brewzilla, the grand tasting at Cleveland Beer Week 2010.

Why do bearded guys get so much flack in certain circles? Can we help it that we look better when we're rugged and "unkept"? I know more than a few women agree that beards not only give men character but are a must for a guy to really look attractive.

Does anyone know when and why society deemed it "proper" for men to shave their faces and look like 12 year old boys? Regardless of the social norms, I proudly sport a beard during the winter and stubble during the hot months. I'm only clean-shaven to "reset" my facial follacles. And I've noticed through the years that us bearded guys tend to stick together.

With that in mind, I don't know who Bearded Pat is, but I'd sure like to meet him. He makes a hell of a barleywine. I knew from the second that Phil from Bluegrass handed me this gem that we were going to get along fantastically. The beer is a beautiful dark copper color with some amber, brown, and red highlights. The head retention is exceptional for a barrel aged barleywine. My glass isn't coated in lace, but some is left behind. This beer is much less rough around the edges than it's namesake.

The smells of oak, vanilla, brown sugar, and sweet caramelized malt waft past my pushbroom and greet my nose. The beer is sweet but balanced, with the barrel's bourbon and wood jumping out. It's not hot at all, and the wood shows more than the bourbon. No tannic presence is noted, but this could be just a bit more expressive.

The taste is fantastic. Brown sugar and sweet caramelized malt lead the way. This barleywine is not a sugar bomb, but certainly a decadant beer. The bourbon, vanilla, and wood bring this to the next level with their masterful incorporation. The hops are mild but add some balance. This is like Zach Galifianakis in a tuxedo, not some scruffy backwoods bruiser.

The mouthfeel of this barleywine is just a touch syrupy, but it is still very enjoyable. Low carbonation can't help make the medium to heavy body lighter, but the aftertaste is pleasant with only mildly noticeable booze.

I propose that January be "national grow a beard and drink barleywine" month. At least I won't be alone. I can count on Pat to join me in this celebration of stubbled swigging. And, if Bluegrass Brewing is interested, I'm taking sponsors! Maybe you could brew an English Barleywine, age it in barrels, and call it "Bearded Bobby's"? Cheers!

11-03-2010 19:25:43 | More by jampics2
Thorpe429

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Pours a deep mahogany with crimson highlights. Starts with a single-finger white head and leaves a bit of lacing.

S: Initial smell js dark, candies drugs with some caramem and a good amount of sweetness. Slight bourbon character; I wonder if it's blended given the mild bourbon character and the fact that it js not at all hot.

T: Similar to the taste but a little bit more bourbon comes through. The sweetness is more subdued and the caramel comes out a bit more.

M: Quite creamy and utterly lacking in booze.

D: Quite drinkable. A big improvement over Jefferson's Reserve, the only other beer I've had from them. That is solid but this is quite good.

08-17-2010 00:28:58 | More by Thorpe429
Bourbon Barrel Bearded Pat's Barleywine from Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.