Chocolate Wheatwine - Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's

No picture uploaded.

Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's visit their website
Kentucky, United States

Wheatwine |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mcallister on 05-19-2011)

ADTaber, May 14, 2013
3.9/5  rDev -1%

Served in a St. Bernardus chalice at Local Option.

Given my affinity for both chocolate and wheatwines, I'm upset I didn't learn about this beer earlier. Well, in any case, it pours a dark black-brown topped by over a finger of dirty cream-white foam. The nose comprises light brown sugar, light-ish roasted malts, and light-ish molasses. It's a bit standoffish, but generally pleasant. The taste holds notes of roasted malts, dark chocolate powder, light molasses, brown sugar, and a touch of mandarin orange syrup. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda grainy feel. Overall, it's tasty stuff, but I found it a bit lacking in the whole wheatwine department. Ah, who cares? It's tasty. Good times.

TMoney2591, Jan 05, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -11.7%

On tap at BBC.

First of all, I'm not really a big fan of this style. However, since my biggest problem with the style stems from the fact that it is too port-like and sugar sweet, and it's impossible for anyone to create a chocolate that is too rich for my tastes, I thought this would be the perfect marriage. I was a bit disappointed...

A: Dark brown chocolate color, with a rugged visual texture, that I could still see through pretty well around the edges. Nice moderate lacing.

S: Much more dark fruity than chocolatey, but once I allowed my imagination run wild and really dug in, I managed to summon up a cocoa nib here and there.

T: Not nearly as port-like or rich as I imagined. This was a bit thin and underwhelming actually. However, it was still wasn't bad and was what it was: a chocolate infused, uncharacteristically non-bitter, semi-sweet, malt beverage.

M: A bit watery. BBC needs to really work on that. I've tried several of their brews over the last few days and all of them have that quality. Maybe that's just part of their taste profile? If so, it's not my thing...

O: Just the idea of this particular style makes my mouth water, but this particular brew was not the great physical realization of that idea that it could have been. It was worth a try, but I won't get this one again.

Chaney, Jun 06, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -6.6%

poured into a wide mouthed tulip, deep brown with not much of a head.

coffee, touch of cocoa in the nose. very rich, nice.

drinking this beer reminds me of cocoa puffs in beer format. dark milk chocolate, touch of coffee.

expected a bit more in terms of mouthfeel, somewhat thin. overall this is a beer worth seeking out. it's unique.

wyattshotmaker, Jun 03, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Dark brown color, with a thin tan ring. Decent spots of lace for the strength.

Slight roasty nose with some milk chocolate. Some alcohol present. Slight citrusy hop feel.

Nice chocolate feel up front, more dark than milky. Hop bitterness and tannins at the finish.

Medium body, adequate carbonation. Alcohol is present, but not overwhelming. Very nice.

Bierguy5, May 19, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a deep brown/burgundy with a small tan head that fades into a foamy topper with little lace.

Milk chocolate, black licorice, earthy hops, some black berry and other dark fruits, and asphalty aroma that may be inherent to the brewery as I swear I smell it in all their brews. Toffee, caramel, date, fig, raisin, and plum aromas round things out.

Well this is quite tasty. Chocolate really comes through nicely in the mouth and leaves a rich creamy, rounded mouth feel. Milk chocolate, chocolate truffles, and dark chocolate mousse. Big anise in the middle and finish, and bitter chocolate on the finish. Dates, dried fig, alcohol, black cherry, toffee and caramel, a bit burnt. And that asphalt type thing. Very nice.

mcallister, May 19, 2011
Chocolate Wheatwine from Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.