AleSmith Evil Dead Red - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.66% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 10-13-2003

Each Halloween we release this special concoction to celebrate one of our favorite holidays. Deep blood-red in color, an intense aroma of pine and citrus from an abundance of American hops balances the sweetness and rich, bready flavors of this beer's caramel malts. The result is a fiendishly smooth brew that will make your taste buds scream with delight.

This beer pairs excellently with toffee, caramel apples, or your favorite horror flick.
2.93/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Had on tap at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena. Clear deep red in the pint glass with a nice, fluffy head. Excellent lacing.

Lots of pine and floral scents from the hops mingle awkwardly with candied fruit.

Taste begins with a fruity caramel malt. The piney hops then come into play and contrast rather badly. Finishes with a candy-like fruit and hop flavor.

As much as I wanted to really like this one (anything named after the almighty Evil Dead trilogy should be amazing), I didn't. Quite a dissapointment.

3.03/5  rDev -26.3%

It's just not a particularly great beer. I also drank it a couple weeks ago and can't really write a full review. I don't see why I should have to justify why I think a beer is average.

3.12/5  rDev -24.1%

Not the best red I've had bit very drinkable. It's a little on the lighter side for a red and has kind of a fruity taste to it. Not bad but not the best either.

3.35/5  rDev -18.5%

Served on-draught into a 4 oz plastic taster cup at Alesmith's taproom. They really have to get rid of the whole plastic cup system; it's a disgrace. Cost was $2.00.

A: Pours a half finger khaki colour head of great cream, good thickness, and smooth rolling foam. Retention is fair. Good lacing. Colour is a dark chestnut red. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Floral hops, with some citrus. Clean malts. Caramelization. Toasted malt. An appealing aroma of moderate strength.

T: Floral hops and clean malts. Caramel. Toasted malt. Balanced and enjoyable. Amber malts. I like it, but it does leave something to be desired in terms of complexity. Not much going on here considering the brewery.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Perfect thickness. Suits the flavour well. Good carbonation.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. Well priced. I'd have it again, preferably from a bottle. Definitely worth a try. A solid seasonal from Alesmith, but not up to par with most of their other offerings.

3.51/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Deep and dark red pour with a tan one-finger head. Big malty aroma with some caramel standing out. Taste also has malt upfront with a big bready flavor backed by some caramel. Can also taste dark fruit, toffee and light citrus hops. Full bodied with moderate carbonation.

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at the Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a deep crismon/maroon/mauve red with a small white head leaving solid lacing.

S: Sweet malts, with a solid hop character, straight up red ale smell.

T: Taste is really sweet initially, certainly more than its sister brew My Bloody Valentine. The sweetness dies down a bit after a while leaving a tasty hop bitterness of pine and grass clippings.

M: Soft carbonation, overall medium body, with a treacle sweetness in the finish.

D: I liked this one from Alesmith, but I thought it would be better if it was a tad drier, still a nice Halloween brew.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

A: This poured a hazy mahogany with some tan head.
S: It smelled like sweet caramel and wild honey, with some herbal and citrus hops.
T: It tasted like earthy caramel and wild honey, with some herbal and citrus hops. It had a clean bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was thick with some carbonation. Nice big body.
D: This was a nice red ale, with clean and balanced scent and taste. The body was excellent, and the finish was smooth, so it was easy to drink. Not the most exciting beer ever, but still an enjoyable quality brew.

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Ruby red color where light passes easily through it. Lasting beige head that leaves plenty of streaky lace on the glass.

Smells of crystal malt--like caramel. Good balancing hop, but not distinctive.

Dry, caramelized malt. Reminds me of deeply toasted bread. Strong hop presence, like hot peppers. Quite spritzy with a below-average level of body.

3.71/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I don’t grab a lot of AleSmith’s stuff simply because of the big bottle format but I am a sucker for their My Bloody Valentine in the late winter so I couldn’t pass this one up.

L: Amber pour that may border on maroon (not exactly “blood red” as promised). A yellow-ish foamy head that didn’t last long.

A: Toffee and resin with some citrus in there but pretty muted. Smell had slight hint of old IPA.

T/F: Caramel sweetness with a mild burnt taste. Dried fruits give way to pine and hops at the end. Very mild carbonation. Finish is long and lingers slightly metallic. This is more of a sipper than typical 6.6% beers go.

Lots of flavor packed into this bottle so it’s not an easy drinker. One of my favorite ambers perhaps because it leans towards “IPA”. Very well balanced and I would make this an annual purchase but not likely have it in my rotation even if it was a year round beer. The muted aroma knocked it down a notch for me. it’s a good beer and one I wouldn’t turn down.

3.72/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle poured into an imperial pint.

Deep red with 2 fingers of light tan head. Good retention and clarity. Light-moderate carbonation.

Toffee, caramel. grapefruit and pine.

Toffee and caramel maltiness with hints of toast and a subtle earthiness. Notes of grapefruit and pine. Perhaps some touches of orange citrus.

Medium bodied, clean and smooth.

A decent Red Ale. I think I prefer My Bloody Valentine to this one.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Stopped by the brewery, which can be rather difficult because of tasting/growler filling hours and San D traffic. Barely made it before closing.

Anyways picked a growler of the Evil Dead Red.
Poured an almost opaque, dark, blood-red color.
Thick, foamy, tan head, nice lacing on my tulip glass.
Moderate carbonation.

It has a sweet malt smell to it, a little fruity. Nice light hop aroma.
A little sweet.
Rich malt taste, mild on the palate.
A mildly bitter hop finish with a little nutty flavor in there.

Rather smooth beer, very drinkable. Check out Alesmith!

Now listening to: Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

Thanks to Beechwood for bringing this one in!

A- Dark reddish brown color, thin white head
S- Very sweet malt and straight hop smell
T- This is a nice red taste. All the good qualities of a red, minus any blandness of some American reds of the past 20 years.
M- slightly syrupy, but carbonation helps this.
D- This is part of what I find to be the new school California Reds, with more bold hop to balance the malt. I find most of these to be very drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thought I had done a formal review of this based on a NBS post. Maybe I didn't or maybe Iforgot to save, so here's the post:
Beer pours a deep amber, almost auburn. Head is a pinkish-hued tan, and ends up almost like a raspberry whipped cream atop the glass.

Nose has a classic amber malt in the background, but is trying to make me think this beer might have a sweet side to it. Maybe a little floral or very lightly herbal, it's just impressing much upon my nose, regardless.

Funny enough what little I got from the nose comes out in the taste, if not in the same way. The beer starts with a hint of malt, but grabs me with an herbal/earthy bitterness. The malt grows and ends up reminding me of a red lollipop of all things. Now obviously it's not that sweet, and the herbal bitter notes continue to pair with it as the two tastes do a little dance. I can't place the thing it tastes like, but there is something this combination reminds me of - something that is like a fruit you have for real after having the "fruit flavor" in foods and you find it's not nearly as sweet and maybe even a tad bitter.

Definitely a interesting beer that had me enjoying it for the way the flavors were built, but never fully won me over as a beer I would want to drink often.

3.77/5  rDev -8.3%

Appearance: This was fairly standard for a red ale, but the kicker was the head was a little tanner than expected and stayed through out the pint.

Smell: The hops were quite prevelant and fruity, but mixed very well with the caramel malts to create a bubble-gumesque smell.

Taste: Again, the malts and hops mixed very well. I found this to be extremely well balanced, and very enjoyable. The caramel malts were present, but didn't control the beer. The hops, which were a tad piney and a tad citrusy (but not very) also were quite noticeable, but definitely used in a balanced way.

Mouthfeel: This felt like every other red ale I've ever had, standard/medium bodied and fairly embittered.

Drinkability: I would have this again, especially if it was on cask. I wouldn't go out of my way to find it, but it's better than the average brew.

3.77/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle poured in a stemmed glass.

Very dark Amber appearance.

A blended aroma of bread and hops.

This transfers over to the taste as well with caramel malts, but a punch of hops.

Outstanding for a red, amber ale.

3.78/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bomber. Indeed this is blood red in color. Creamy light tan head. Smells of bread, maybe some cola/root beer in there, pine. Taste is sweet and earthy, almost as if it had old world hops (it doesn't), some chocolate, not getting much citrus or pine hops like the bottle suggests. Bitterness is low. (Burps are very piney!) Very drinkable, worth a try but not a must-have.

3.82/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A-Pours a slightly hazy, deep amber hue. Chill haze. Mild, tan head sits atop the beer and fizzles off a bit leaving wavy lace.

S-Balanced and rather full on both ends of the spectrum. Lots of grapefruit and candied orange hoppiness. A bit dose of caramel, too. Solid pine hops. Not very complex but it works.

T-The hops are fairly tame here. They start with subtlety and finish with a rising medley of flavors like: grapefruit, grass, lemons, light mint, pine and candied oranges. Caramel and toffee and dense breadiness. Very balanced and the flavors taste more unique than the aroma.

M-A bit full and chewy. Softer bitterness. A bit of a sipper.

O/D-This I have wanted to try for a while. Psyched to see it in bottles. This was a bit of a disappointment, though. A bit too balanced for me and I don't think I'm too enamored with the hop profile here. In the end it's pretty good beer but I didn't live up to my lofty expectations.

3.83/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Giant tan head over dark red and clear goodness offers a nose full of earthy hops and dark fruit malts.
Mouthfeel is a bit, I don't know, squirmy? It's thick in a creepy way. Cool though, given the novelty approach.

3.84/5  rDev -6.6%

On draft at Newport Pizza in Ocean Beach. $6 - poured into a standard pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazed mahogany hue with a decent off-white head that dissipates within a few sips. Nice lacing. Smell is sweet and malty, a lot of carmel and fresh cut grain, mild hop aroma takes over at the end which was a pleasant surprise. Taste follows suit - lightly toasted grain, carmel sweetness with a nice dose of hoppy bitterness on the back end to keep this from being an overly sweet malt bomb. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, lightly carbonated with lingering bitterness from the hops.

Side note...amazing hop burps for a red ale.

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

Originally reviewed on November 26, 2006. On tap at Pizza Port, Carlsbad. Aroma has a light sweet cherry and brown sugar wasp, with some molasses and a whole blast of sweet malt and fringes of Cascade. Orange-hued deep amber florid color, with a creamy off-white head. Incredibly creamy malt flavor. It explodes in lucious foam on the tongue, sending forth brandied sugars and some edges of resiny hops. Intensely smooth, deeply rich with malt character. The balance here is inexplicably some of the best I’ve recently experience, with all angles of hop character meeting at various facets of the presentation to combine with the outstanding malting to create a delicious beer. Nicely done!

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Alesmith Evil Dead Red, 6.66% ABV brewed only at Halloween.

I had this on tap at the Green Dog Grill in Long Beach. I was talking to the rep that brings this beer in, and she was telling me that there were only 15 kegs of this allocated for SoCal. Too bad, its pretty good stuff.
Appearance: is a very dark rich almost blood-like red. There was not much head to speak of but the beer was poured in a pint glass taken from a freezer. Not sure if that's the best way to serve this one. It probably got colder when it hit the glass.
Smell: is wonderful. I am a huge fan of hops and always look forward to an Alesmith brew. Big bitter hop scent but also a wild maltiness to it as well. This beer is definitely a big red evil hop monster.
Taste: First few tastes are the floral hops right through the nose and a sticky-sweet-bitter malt base to it. I am not usually a huge fan of big malt but this is good. I'm very impressed by the complexity of this beer.
Mouthfeel: ((Cooold!)) j/k. I let the beer warm up a bit and it starts to release many more levels. It sort of bites the back of the throat with a burn like feeling but once swallowed, the hops kick in and they layers of malty aftermath to follow. They have really put effort into making this a Halloween brew. Its EVIL.
Drinkability: I could put down a couple of these, but that's it. The beers red bitterness starts to take over and become overbearing. Great beer though and hits the name on the nose.

3.89/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bomber into my Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a clear deep amber/mahogany, with more blood red notes revealing themselves when held up to bright artificial light. Foamy 1" just-off-white head recedes at a moderate pace. Lacing & especially retention are above-average. I'd likely have given this a 4 if I found the color to be more appealing.

S: Very malty. Light brown sugar & dense multigrain bread seem to be the main components. There is a noticeable but underwhelming hop note characterized primarily by citrus rind. Whatever bitterness that is present is buried underneath a generally sweetish overall effect.

T: Comes on with impressive lemony hop-bitterness & traces of white pepper. This lasts well into the mid palate, which reveals a much more balanced take on the multigrain bread note from the nose. There's more of a piney counterpoint that begins to show itself leading into the finish - it's an interesting & well-executed evolution. The finish itself is somewhat mild - striking a mellow balance between citrusy hops & off-sweet breadiness. A bit of what I'd call raw honey seems to linger for a moment.

M: Just-above-moderate carb married to a somewhat dense, very soapy body. It's appropriately substantial given the flavors here. Maybe a bit dull.

O: There are probably more aspects here that I dislike rather than like, but the concentrated & clever progression of flavors is enough for me to say that I think I like this brew.

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Ambers / reds are definitely not my favorite style of beer. That said, this is the way I like them - full with lots of hops.

I've only had this once before, about this time of year at the same place I had this one - Father's Office in Santa Monica. This time it reminded me a bit of last winter's Yulesmith, just tone-downed considerably.

The color was a deep dark ruby with a billowing head, lacing throughout. Cotton candy and roasted malts with a piney hops afterkick dominate the aroma. The flavor takes the best of a traditional American amber - the sweet maltiness and an IPA - the booming hops.

I liked this quite a bit. When I finished it I was ready to move on, there were plenty of other tasty beers awaiting.

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

22 ozBomber.Smell of Hops and citrus.The taste is hops and grapefruit with a touch of sour.The sour to me was a little surprising.Nice blood red color and the ABV is 6.66.This is not a bad beer but not near as good as say Imperial red from Lagunitas or Hop head red from green flash.To much gimmick not enough stuff.

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle opened on 10.29.13

A - Pours a clear light brown with a foamy dark tan head.

S - Piney hops, orange citrus and sweet biscuy malts.

T - Pine, orange, nice maly balance. Solid.

D - Good carbonation with a medium body.

O - A nice hop-malt balance. Not really blood red though.

AleSmith Evil Dead Red from AleSmith Brewing Company