AleSmith X - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith XAleSmith X

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-28-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith X Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

Would you believe I found this bottle at a 7-11 in Carlsbad near the Palomar Airport Road exit on Interstate 5? I just about fell to the floor seeing this next to the Bud Light. Well, on to my review.

Poured a nice golden yellow in my tulip glass, with a good size head of white foam and lots of sheeting and lacing on the glass. I noticed a litle yellow sediment at the bottom of my glass, which doesn't seem appropriate to the style, but wasn't too bad, and I'll let that pass. Slight grassy aroma. Solid crisp malt flavor with a nice, smooth grassy hop finish. Liked the way the hops wasn't sharply bitter, but instead, had a smoothness one often doesn't see in this style. Some slight notes of lemon and pepper in there, too. If anything to note on the mouthfeel, a little high level of carbonation, otherwise, it is fine. Liked the smoothness and decent flavor complexity making in a might fine drinking brew.

Hopefully coming to a 7-11 near you.

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

Served on-tap at Stone Brewery.

Appearance - Golden/yellow in initial appearance, with a lively carbonation. A marginal head crowned off this offering, which resolved to a thin remain.

Smell - Subtle aroma of pine/grapefruit. Mild amount of citrus/orange as well. Not a big nose on this one, and not much more to speak of.

Taste - Crisp, lively and biting, all at the same time. I didn't really taste a lot of the over-hopped perspective, while at the same time didn't really notice a malty base. Was an odd construct and seemed to we wanting to be more, but not quite sure of which way.

Mouthfeel - Moderate body with a clearing finish. Moderate bitterness.

Drinkability - Sure, a good drinking beer, but not one I would try again, nor one that I would actively seek out (not to worry, since I can't get any Alesmith offerings in SC). I'll tend to gravitate towards other Alesmith offerings.

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

Consumed 02/18/09 at Stone World Bistro, Escondido, CA.

Beer is a very clear, medium golden hue with a modicum of small bubbles streaming energetically up the sides of the glass. A foamy white head quickly becomes a ring of sticky lacing.

There is a nice aroma of crisp golden apples, some light, grassy hops and mineral water.

Flavor is straightforward and clean. Slight lemon character and grassiness up front mingles with well-controlled sweetness. Malt flavor is fleeting. Crystal? Bitterness is there, but down low in the mix. VERY clean finish.

Well-carbonated, stops just shy of being sharp or parching on the tongue.

This is a refreshing beer for a hot day, of which we have plenty in Southern California.

4.48/5  rDev +14%

Poured a pretty standard looking medium gold, with almost no head and very minimal lacing.

Then I put my nose to the glass and wow! This has a wonderful fruity scent along with a small amount of piney hops. Everything in perfect balance. One of the finest smelling beers I've ever come across. Very inviting.

Tasted much along the lines as the aroma, with the hops perhaps just a bit more apparent. Quite pleasing.

Mouthfeel was good, with a medium body which went down nicely. A bit of a dry finish.

My first time trying this beer, and it won't be the last. Too bad they don't carry it where I live, but from now on whenever I make a California trip this beer will be on my pick up list.

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a clear pale straw macro looking color with a thick, frothy, & bubbly bright white 2 finger deep head. Lots of sticky lacing left on glass as it goes down.

Smells of crisp earthy hops, grassy, piney hops.Nice sitric hoppy aroma going on in here as well.

Hoppy up front, nice bready maltiness, citrusy hoppy finish. All nicely balanced.

Light to medium bodied, moderate carbonation, smooth, crisp, clean.

A fine sessionable hoppy pale from Alesmith. Not my favorite offering from them. But a nice representation of an American Pale Ale.

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%

Nice yellow amber in pint glass. Nice hop aroma, and good first taste. Kind of a single note hop profile that lays a bit flat on the tongue. Needs more depth in aftertaste to really ring my bell. A good chunk of yeast at the bottom of the bomber (not that that's an issue).

Good for style type, but nothing that out of the ordinary.

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

22oz bomber courtesy of BrewerB poured into a pint glass.

Popping the cap produces a huge explosion of white foam that comes out of the bottle before I can get to the glass. With the pour, there's a huge fluffy white head on top of a bright, slightly hazy gold. The head recedes slowly to a cap and leaves tons of lacing.

Aroma is dominated by light fruity hops, especially lemon zest and apricots. It's balanced a bit by some bready malts underneath.

The taste also starts with a puckering lemony hop bitterness that has only a slight malty presence up front. The finish also has a lemony bitterness that lingers for a while.

The mouthfeel is very light and crisp with a light bitterness from the citrus hops. Maybe a tad too much carbonation but that's nitpicking.

A very light and extremely drinkable APA that really goes down easy. Alesmith can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned and this is no exception. Tasty.

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

I am an AleSmith true believer. I already thought they were good, and then I had the fantastic YuleSmith. So I'm pretty excited about this one.

Appearance - Really beautiful. It's a pale, straw-gold color. It has a nice inch and half of pure white head. It looks like a painting of a beer or something.

Smell - Lots of citrus. Definitely some grapefruit, but also some almost lemon-citrus. It has a bready back to it. It sort of smells like lemon-bread.

Taste - It starts off with some nice hop citrus. It definitely has that grapefruit taste. It follows up with the bread-yeast thing. It's just a tad thin, with a sort of sour finish.

Mouthfeel - Pretty clean and crisp. It's very refreshing.

Drinkability - It would be off the charts if not for the finish. It's still pretty good, but I think I might feel a little ill if I had a few.

This is another good job by team AleSmith. It's a different style, but pretty well rounded. Smoother and less intense than many beers, this is one that the lady friend was pretty damned excited about. Can't say that I blame her.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Pours a light translucent straw color with 1/4 inch of foam

S - hints of citrus, oranges, bananas & cloves

T - nice citrus and piney hop flavor

M/D - nice drinking beer with a nice hop bite and good carbonation, very crisp and a good drink for all types of drinkers

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

This is a very well done APA, and is not as heavy as some other APA's.

A- It looks lighter than most pale ales. Pours nicely and has a nice looking head.

S- The smell is not at all overwhelming. It has a light smell, with hints of citrus.

T- The taste is very good. It is not too brilliant in any one flavor, but certainly does not lack in any either.

M- It has a very crisp and refreshing mouthfeel. The cripness of it actually caught me by surprise at first, but after a couple of sips I was a true fan.

D- Not heavy at all, this beer is quite drinkable.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Golden orange color that is a bit cloudy and crowned with a lush billowy white head. Loads of retention and lacing.

Smell: The nose is loads of grapefruit and other forms of citrus.

Taste: Pale malt up front with a strong grapefruit hop component. Quite crisp and clean considering how hoppy it is.

Mouthfeel: Crisp clean mouthfeel with a solid amount of carbonation and a medium body.

Drinkability: Seriously easy session beer with a nice hop profile.

4.95/5  rDev +26%

Finally I have proof that a beer need not be big to be great. Like many others I share the beer lust with, I've found that in order for me to get a satisfying beer, I needed to pour something with high abv, or a malt bomb, or hop insanity. But now I know from first hand experience that it is no longer necessary to plow through the big beer to achieve proper balance, taste, mouthfeel and nose.

Enter Ale Smith X.

A perfect golden pour with plenty of lace on the side of the glass. A fresh piny/citrusy aroma from the glass. Also a bit of apricot in the nose. First sip was the greatest of surprises. I had great expectations of this beer, and it delivered. Bright and slightly acidic on the front, Subtle malt and perfect piny hops on the palate. Finished clean and slightly bitter. Not too heavy on the tongue, but it stands up very well after repeated tastings. Not just a session beer, but an equal to the big beer we tasted along side it (Double Bastard). It's nice not to have your taste buds destroyed and over whelmed after just a few sips.

I love the bottle conditioning of this beer. Just a tad of yeast at the bottom of the bottle, just like my home brews. Ale Smith like the smaller bubbles for increased surface area on the tongue as opposed to forced carbonation. hard to demonstrate empirically, but I couldn't argue with their results.Love it.

The downside is that I can't get it in my area. I was on a trip to LA and bought the X based on a tip from a fellow home brewer. I was skeptical as I'm not a APA fan. After finishing the first bottle of X, I returned to Bevmo and bought three more. So very worth it.

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%

Having heard great things about Ale Smith beers, I just had to get my hands on some. In my area though, its hard to come by. Luckily my local beer guy made a trip up to get some cases and sell to his most loyal customers. So I got this one, their IPA and their Yulesmith.

A- Pours a light golden color, with a nice head...a little lighter than your average pale ale

S-Nice citrusy scent with a yeast note as well

T-really crisp and refreshing with again, a citrus note

M/D- this is a beer I can drink all the time. Great balance in flavor and goes down easy

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A really nice APA and more excellent work from Alesmith. I won't say too much about this one because I would need to try it directly against some other APAs to form a better opinion. However, I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has a rich malt flavor overlaid with muted fruity hops. There are quite a few fruit flavors present, from apricots and peaches to lemons, oranges and sweet ruby red grapefruits. The bitterness is nice without getting in the way of the malt. It's just well-balanced. The mouthfeel is full and clean. The beer looks pretty good, but the head in my glass dissipated fairly quickly and didn't leave a ton of lacing atop the liquid. I would say it looked foamy but I've used that term positively before and it's fairly meaningless, come to think. I'll end this before I put my foot in my mouth. It's an excellent beer, great for sessioning or with a light lunch.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Big white head on a nice pale orange pour

S: Nice and citrusy. Orange. Hops are definitely there, but nowhere near what I was expected. No overpowering aromas, just nice and clean.

T/M: Aromas are spot on. Nice clean and crisp pale ale with citrus overtones. Hops are nicely balanced, just right. Overall, a great pale ale.

D: The kind of beer you bring to a party and drink all night over a Bud. Very tasty.

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

22oz bomber poured into my 22oz snifter. WOW. Perfect fit! Pours a medium hazy orange with a small white head. Just a little bit of sediment in the bottom of the glass. Aroma is fruity hops, light malts and hints of grapefruit. Flavor is a tad maltier and resiny. Maybe just a touch of oxidation but overall it is a very nice drinker. I wish I had more.

3.28/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a hazy golden into a pint glass from a 22 oz. bomber. A half inch of rocky head settles in to offer strong lacing.

Notes of citrus hops on the nose, and a bit of grain. Rather light but not unexpected for an Extra Pale. Taste is a balance of light hops and light malts, yet is slightly astringent on the close. Decent feel and carbonation but trends towards an awkward orange oil finish as the carbonation decreases.

Not Alesmith's best offering by any means, and typically light of San Diego's true pale ales(Green Flash, Alpine for example).

Notes form 11/2008.

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%

I've been looking to get my hands on a good west coast pale ale for some time and am not disappointed here.
Quite, quite pale for a pale ale, not quite the amber hue one tends to expect. Happy white head and foam top the slightly hazed pale body.
The nose is bright and punchy, the flavor even more so. The topnote of hops in the flavor is very distinctive; haven't had anything quite like it. Other flavors chime in but the distinctive hop flavors hold my attention.
T'would be nice to get this on a regular basis; as it stands I'm enjoying this happily smuggled west coast item.

3.72/5  rDev -5.3%

This may be the one of the best pale ales out there. Pour is copper with some brewer's yeast and a strong white head. Aroma is citrus with grain and pine. Taste is impeccable. Slight hops with citrus balanced against the malt. Not the astringent bite of Sierra Nevada, but a lingering finish. Very refreshing.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

pours a citrusy golden yellow with bubble with head with good lacing

lemony hops, pine, slight malt, grassy fresh hops

lemony hops, with a slight biscuity malt body, piney dry hops on the finish, spicy hop notes as well

light bodied, crisp, balanced, smooth hops with a semi dry and spicy finish. long 30 finish with piney hops dominating

a very inviting aroma lead ways to a balanced, smooth, crisp pale ale. sturdy hop flavors throughout make this a prime example of what a pale ale should be, in my book at least. This is an ale every drinker will enjoy, if you see it get two cause I already want another one.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

The X poured a lager like color with an aggressive 3 finger foam head that lingered like a scoop of ice cream on a root beer float. The lacing was sticky and all around.

The aroma was a lovely hop smell with a small yeasty aroma. The taste was clean and crisp and soft. It was really balanced between the malts and hop aggressiveness, smooth. The citrus and herbal note is nice as the drink goes down. In the mouth it left a little bite and was carbonated nicely. I wish this was local to Portland instead of So Cal.

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

Bottle at The Local, SD, CA.

Poured clear amber hue with a large frothy white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Heavy aroma of citrus hops and tart fruit. Medium to full body. Well balanced flavor of malt, hops and fruit with a medium bittersweet finish of moderate duration.

This is a solid drinkable brew.

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

Rated from a 22oz bottle.

Poured a light and hazy golden yellow color with an averaged sized white head. Aromas of grassiness, earthy and kinda of on the skunky side. Tastes of the same grassiness, earthiness, light citrus and some caramel. Fizzy body.

Notes from 12/7/04

3.56/5  rDev -9.4%

Reviewed 1/8/2008 (bottle):

Pours a golden somewhat cloudy yellowish color. Big foamy frothy white head with good lacing. Very bitter, dry piney aroma. Malty sweet on the end of the aroma. Sweet malty taste. A little hoppy on the end. A little dry. More sweet than hoppy. Warming up it's a little more hoppy.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a pale golden color with a gigantic three finger fluffy bright white head. Great retention and some whispy lacing.

The aroma is awesome for me. Big citrus notes of grapefruit and lemon peel with a little spice on the hop note as well. Really enticing.

The taste is quite nice. Again a nice hop profile with a big citrus note. A bit of grapefruit and lemon peel with a bit of spice to it. Not complex, but really nice and a slight bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with tons of carbonation. It's really vibrant and lively, crisp, cleansing, and refreshing. I'm diggin this beer.

Drinkability is high. It tastes great and is a pleasure to sip on. This would probably be a staple if I lived in Alesmith country.

AleSmith X from AleSmith Brewing Company