AleSmith Old Numbskull - Barrel Aged - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Barleywine |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: kmcnair on 12-13-2004

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Thanks to Joe for bringing this to our tasting. This is phenomenal. Review from notes.

2006 Vintage poured a clear ruby/garnet with a long lasting off-white head. Beautiful shades of red glittering in my glass. The world has just been set right. I was expecting a ginormous blast of bourbon and sweetness, but this is mellow and refined. The vanilla, oak, and toffee are deliciously blended and gives way to a touch of figs and even a bit of molasses cookies. The oxidation offers a touch of vinous character. I find nothing to critique. Just let me sit and enjoy this wonder. Carbonation could use a sliiiight reduction, but a gentle swirl is all it took. I wish there was a 4.8 I could give in the mouthfeel category instead of a 4.5. Coats the palate with caramel goodness. This is bewildering. Probably the highlight of the night.

And this is also my 500th review on BA :)

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

750ml Bottle. Batch 1, bottle # 200 of 225.

Poured an amber color with a small off white head. The vanilla aroma and tastes really stands out. Vinous. Other aromas and tastes of wood, citrus, raisins, dried fruits, and alcohol.
Smooth body.

This beer was/is just way tooeasy to drink!

Notes from and tasted on 1/15/05

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

2006, bottle #204 of 208.
Pours brown in color. There are some reddish highlights. A little foam around the edges.
Smell is absolutely heavenly! This is what I'm all about! Smell is bourbon with plenty of vanilla to support it. I can't stop smelling this thing.
Taste is even better than the smell. Much more vanilla to comingle with the bourbon flavor. This is one incredbile beer. I like this better than the BA Speedway. Just a little bit of alcohol that warms the back of the throat. This is world class and among the best beers that I've had. The real deal. Full on the mouthfeel. The only knock that I can think of is that it's just a bit hot. You get some heat in the throat that escalates as it goes.
World class beer. Outstanding.

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

2002 bottle.

Acquired this one in a trade a few months back and have been dying to try it. I cracked it open at a good friends birthday party this weekend, where we planned on drinking many great beers. We of course led off with the old numbskull to give it the freshest pallet.

Poured in an AleSmith tulip glass. Pours a surprisingly light auburn color with a great head. Not bad after 4 years of aging in the bottle plus probably another year or two in the barrel. The BA Speedway I had was a little light in carbonation and I was worried this would have the same trait. Not a chance. Perfect carbonation for the tongue and the style.

It smells great. Similar to the regular numbskull but with a hint of vanilla, oak, and bourbon. I've had a few other barley wines that have had 4+ years on them and they all tend to pick up a similar smell. Not oxidation, something I can never put my finger on. Either way, it's very enticing.

This beer knocked me off my feet. I wasn't sure how the years would be to it, but it stood strong. First taste is sweet. Something I don't remember being as strong in the regular numbskull. A mild alcohol warming to it but less than expected. The bourbon and oak wasn't as strong as I would have thought but still apparent. The BA speedway I had definitely kept a stronger bourbon presence that this did. Either way, this was perfectly balanced.

I tried to approach this beer as unbiased as possible, keeping my expectations low. I was completely blown away. I enjoyed it more than the BA Speedway. Already working on another trade to get a 2004 bottle. I would highly recommend this beer. Worth trading another prized possession to get one.

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

750ml capped dark green bottle poured into a snifter. Notes. '06 bottle.

A: Deep mohagony, opaque. Moderate head on the pour, keeps rising. Good retention and lacing.

S: Loads of wood and age and a nice depth of bourbon. Aged malt sweetness. Great alcohol line. Damn fine barrel.

T/M: Great barrel, very woody, some vanilla and oxidation, soft bourbon. Aged and nicely rounded alcohol and hops. Rich, rounded out malts. A tad dry in the finish. Still a touch hot but nice. Body is medium full with soft carbonation.

D: Absolutely delicious.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

From notes:

2006 vintage. Huge thanks to BigFish for sending this years ago in one of my first trades.

Pours a very dark, murky chestnut brown color with a one finger off white head that quickly fades into a thin ring. Sporadic splotches of lacing left behind.

Slightly earthy, leathery malt aroma with hints of biscuit, caramel and toffee. This is accompanied by an amazing bourbon barrel character. Plenty of earthy oak with a healthy dose of bourbon/booze and a very prominent vanilla character in the nose.

Medium bodied with the perfect balance of earthy, leathery malt, caramel/toffee, alcohol sweetness, bourbon, oak and vanilla. Slight heat but overall the alcohol is excellently masked with subtle warmth in the finish. The malt profile is earthy/leathery yet sweet with hints of caramel, toffee and hazelnut. There's some slight bitterness that adds balance and an incredible bourbon barrel presence. Earthy oak as well as a huge bourbon and vanilla character. I can't believe that Alesmith was able to create such a delicious bourbon flavor without it tasting like a hot, booze bomb. The ABV is incredibly well masked resulting in a delicious, extremely quaffable beer.

This is the best BA barleywine that I've had to date and I wish I that I had more bottles.

4.81/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2012 vintage

Huge, incredibly well balanced and interesting aroma - hard to find a place to start. Burnt brown sugar, bourbon - caramel, oak, vanilla, oak - wet oak. Then there is another layer of vinous red grape, booze soaked raisin, tobacco and leather. The hops have fadded quite a bit giving an old-caramel note. Amazingly well balanced - each flavor in tune with one another. It tastes fantastic as well, but not as outstanding as the nose. Caramel, brown sugar, toffee, bourbon. booze, and oak dominate. The tobacco and leather come through as well - lesser fruits and sweet vanilla and coconut. I'm not sure how best to describe this, but there is a musty/old-feel to it - like an attic. Full, smooth mouthfeel - appropriately bereft of carbonation.

This is truly outstanding.

AleSmith Old Numbskull - Barrel Aged from AleSmith Brewing Company