AleSmith Horny Devil - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Horny DevilAleSmith Horny Devil

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith Horny Devil Alström Bros

. Poured a hazy golden with almost no head. Was way to sweet for my taste in this style. My girlfriend who loves moscato and other sweet wines loved this.

1.25/5  rDev -69.1%

1.5/5  rDev -63%

2.15/5  rDev -46.9%

Near clear golden colored ale without much head formation.

Smell is sweet and a little spicy with a lot of alcohol aroma. Not much here.

Sweetish with fair amount of alcohol flavor and a little spice. Little bit of caramel taste. Damn this is disappointing.

Mouthfeel is disappointing.

Worst AleSmith beer yet. I have to wonder if this one had a bad cap seal because I would expect more carbonation in this ale style. I will leave this as a placeholder and try again. Still caps don't normally leak.

2.2/5  rDev -45.7%

This beer poured orangey in color. There was no head to speak of, and no lacing either. The scent is overpowering of coriander. There was a scent of fruit, but I can't quite place it.
The taste was overpowering of coriander. Slower sipping didn't allow for the beer to go down any easier.
I have never handed a beer back to a waitress before, but there is always a first for everything. I had been very excited to try this beer, but the coriander was simply too much for me.

2.33/5  rDev -42.5%

A - Slightly hazey copper color. No head whatsoever.

S - Fruity malty and herbal. Smells a bit sour and earthy.

T - Alcoholic with lots of residual sweetness and hop flavor. A bit of herbal funkyness as well.

M - Thick and syrupy, very low carbonation.

D - This really reminds me of Dogfish 120. Very thick, quite hoppy, and hard as hell to drink. Some decent carbonation would help this beer tremendously. The best feature is the hop character, but it isn't good enought to redeem this one. I am not going to dump it, but I am pretty pissed off that I paid $12.99 for this.

2.38/5  rDev -41.2%

I saved this one for Halloween. Presented in a green 750ml bottle with a red foil-covered cap. Poured into my Duvel tulip glass.
Appearance: apple juice color with the same amount of carbonation and head that I'd get if I actually poured apple juice into my Duvel glass. An increasingly aggressive pour resulted in absolutely zero head and only an occasional random clump of carbonation that wandered listlessly to the surface. Not a very encouraging start...
Smell: coriander, coriander and, for a change of pace, more coriander. Total domination. Heavy alcohol fumes eminated from the glass also. Some (much) lighter fruity aroma and pepper but this just seemed too off-balance.
Taste: gee, imagine that, a ton of coriander and raw alcohol right out of the gate. Also a hefty dose of candy sugar like the rock candy I sometimes got as a kid. Some modest fruitiness - apples and pears - and a light peppery bite in the finish that got steamrolled by the alcohol. Way out of balance and harsh.
Feel: light, low/no carbonation, and lifeless.
Overall: this was a major disappointment considering how much I like Alesmith's Yulesmith and IPA. Horny Devil was as close to a drain pour as a beer can get with me and still manage to not get dumped. At $10.99 a bottle I expected much more. I'll probably try it again as I can't imagine it's really supposed to be this way. But I won't be trying it again soon.

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

2.58/5  rDev -36.3%

750 ml bottle. Pours clear straw gold with a fizzy creamy white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is wheaty cereal malts with coriander and soapy, floral spices and some soft fruit and earthy belgian yeast.

The flavor is sweet wheaty malts and spice (coriander and chamomile), some earthiness and a medium bitter alcohol finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with creamy carbonation.

Overall, sweet with a lot of spice (coriander, floral, chamomile) and a bit of alcohol.

2.68/5  rDev -33.8%

Pours a cloudy, dark golden orange color with a one finger white head that immediately settles into a thin ring. Minimal spots of lace left behind.

Spicy aroma with lots of zesty coriander, bready yeast and crisp, light fruit. Slightly earthy with some grass, peppery coriander, candy sugar, apple and pear.

Medium bodied with sharp, tight carbonation and a prominent coriander spiciness that dominates the flavor, lingering over the grassy, yeast and light fruit notes into a slightly dry, boozy finish. The carbonation and strong spice presence makes this beer a bit harsh and difficult to drink. As it warms and the palate adjusts, the grassy hops, bready yeast and fruit notes become more evident. Hints of apple, pear and candy sugar add sweetness but the spice is too strong for my liking. Finishes with a lot of boozy sweetness and warmth in the chest. ABV not very well masked and a bit one dimensional. A rare miss from AleSmith.

2.73/5  rDev -32.6%

750 ml bottle provided by Eyedrinkale as part of BIF20, thanks much! Shared with three other BAs at a quiet gathering in late November, 2005. Pours a small amount of bubbles on the surface. Not carbonation foam, bubbles like you could get from water. Crisp orange gold liquid with some fine particulates suspended. Smells carry brandy and bourbon (my wife says it smells metallic). Caramel and alcohol sting. The taste is Halloween candy caramel...that is cheap and waxy. Funky phenolics are minimal, but there is a sour character. Green apples and mango. Creamy mouthfeel, but the flavors just don't come together on it.

2.78/5  rDev -31.4%

Reviewed 3/17/2009 (bottle):

Pours a pretty clear golden colored body, with a creamy white color head good lacing but diminishing. Smells very fruity, lots of fruit, fruit loops comes to mind. Alcohol and belgian flowery aroma. Some spiciness, and I think the coriander too. Some mustiness. Sweet taste, some honey like. Some spiciness, not as good tasting as it smells. Maybe it's the coriander or something, a little too strong. A little mediciny.

2.78/5  rDev -31.4%

Green bottle with foil hiding standard bottle cap is interesting but not very practical. Perhaps green bottle skunked this one but after an extremely impressive outing with Alesmith's IPA and ESB, I found this one a dissapointment. Appears nothing like a true Belgian. Almost clear gold with zero head even after a vigorous pour, and nothing like the mountainness foamy contemporaries coming from Belgium. Gives a wine like fruity fragrance and a creamy smooth mouthfeel which is probably the only outstanding characteristic I found. Sweet and fruity with an almost foul sugar aftertaste. Highly acidic and a noticable presence of alchohol. I was extremely impressed by Alesmiths IPA and ESB but I didn't have a great experience with this little devil.

2.8/5  rDev -30.9%

No real head on this beer. It is a very clear golden color. There is a bit of weird aroma emanating from my glass, I am not quite sure what it is though. It tastes a bit cidery. It is thin bodied, lightly alcoholic in the finish, and there is a light sweetness running throughout. I detect an astringent mustiness as well. This really needs to be highly carbonated, this is just lightly carbonated. Does this get better? It must, right? Not too interesting at all. So disappointing coming from this brewery, it is in fact a drain pour for me, I have much better things in the fridge waiting for me.

2.83/5  rDev -30.1%

A 750 ml bottle that's been sitting in my fridge for a few months. Pours a moderately clear orange-golden sunset hue, with a modicum of carbonation, but absolutely no head. None. Nada. 'Taint there, don't look for it.

Aroma is, at first whiff, very very pleasant. Spicy, herbal, pepper, with something that I guess is coriander (never too good with that aroma/flavor, but it definitely has commonality with Hoegaarden aromas, so it must be coriander). Decent balance, slight sweetness.

Flavor- ok, now I absolutely know what coriander is. Because it's everywhere, dominating everything. Yes, there's herbal, there's pepper, there's other nice things in the far deep background. But this one is all coriander.

The strong alcohol is well hidden- after several sips after several minutes, it's real obvious that this one packs a punch. But the balance is very good on that front.

Overall, though, this just wasn't what I was hoping for. I have had any number of well built Belgian Strong Pale Ales that I've really enjoyed, but this one isn't one of them.

2.83/5  rDev -30.1%

Beer pours golden with an orange hue. Small white head which dissipates quickly leaving a collar. Good lacing. Tons of tiny carbonation seen rising.

Aroma of floral hops. Sweet. Malts. Spices.

Taste is very sweet. Hops come through with a bitter aftertaste. Malts also present with some pepper. Tasted almost medicinal.

Mouthfeel was sticky, medium bodied and flat.

Overall an OK brew but too sweet to drink too much. Seemed one dimensional and lacking character. Not a beer that I will have again. I like Belgians, but this wasn't one.

2.83/5  rDev -30.1%

Received this in a trade with nflmvp probably close to a year ago. Green 750mL with red foil and an enormous collection of yeast and other debris in the bottom of the bottle. Probably a half inch deep covering the bottom evenly. I have never seen this much "yeast muck" in a beer before.
I was totally caught off guard by this one in every with the exception of appearance. It poured a slightly cloudy orange (without disturbing the mud in the bottom) with a meager white soapy top that faded away in only a few seconds.
Smell was extremely fruity. It smelled nearly indistinguishable from a glass of pinot grigio and apricots. Very nice, just not really what I was expecting, I guess. Taste is that fruity and sweet for about 0,5 to 1sec, then it turns bitter and alcoholic. Nearly unpleasantly so, I thought. While this does drink below 11,0%, the level of noticeable alcohol along with the bitterness, and not just a nice hop bitterness, it's a different bitterness, persuades me to go ahead and say that I don't care much for this. Perhaps a fresh example is vastly different, but 1+/- year old one of these just isn't for me.
The mouthfeel is also assertively heavy for the style, I thought.
In its prime, I'm sure this is a fine beer, but not under these circumstances. I'm still glad I had the opportunity to try something else from this brewer.

2.85/5  rDev -29.6%

Pours a pretty nice healthy amber with a prominent foamy head and thick lacing. This is a very thick beer, the color is rich and unwavering. Smells like a warm piece of buttered toast that has been chilled and liquefied. Taste is very bready, almost like a good San Francisco sourdough but without the crunchy crust and moist buttery inside. Feels decent in the mouth. Not to excited about finishing this giant bottle.

2.98/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Giving this one another try, want to like it. Let's see how it goes...

750ml bottle purchased from Julio's, Westboro, MA. Red foiled cap, green bottle.

Opened with the teensiest pfft, and microscopic bubbles can be seen in the brew. Not particularly hopeful... Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a lazy, big-bubbled yet uneven head above the orangey copper (still apple juice colored) brew. Big bubbles lasting around the edges, but no longer much of a head, with some delicate lacing. Aroma is some spices, with a sweet fruity tinge to it as well. Taste is pervasive spices, with granular sugary malt component coupled to a light fruitiness, and alcoholic close. Mouthfeel and drinkability are still lacking due to low carbonation, but at least this brew was better than my last experience. Guess I won't bother to revisit this again.

AleSmith Horny Devil from AleSmith Brewing Company