AleSmith Grand Cru Ale - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Grand Cru AleAleSmith Grand Cru Ale

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

Bottle conditioned.
AleSmith Grand Cru really needs to be tasted to be truly appreciated. Toasty, caramelly flavors, as well as flavors imparted by the Belgian yeast strain, predominate over a tapestry of subtle nuances. Winner of the blue ribbon at the 1999 California State Fair, it is a thing of beauty. It is available in 750 ml. champagne bottles.

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 12-16-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith Grand Cru Ale Alström Bros

Very excited to see Alesmith bottled brew on this side of the country. The Christmas Yulesmith is kinda findable now but not so much anything else.
It's pretty on the pour. Deep reddish brown, clear body with a light tan head. Fermented fruits on the nose, mostly sweet notes with an edge of sour.
On the tongue it bites sweet then dries up quite quick. Frankly, it reminds me of bottles of Ommegang I've had in the recent past. The sweet and smooth dials have been turned up a little bit in that comparison. At 10% strong I would expect such a thing. Nectarine, plum, raisin, dark cherry, all in a fermented slurry.
For the money, I'm going to pick up a bottle of Ommegang first if I'm in the mood for this sort of flavor profile. Reviews indicate that this brew greatly benefits from aging, but seeing as how it's my birthday today I just couldn't wait to try this. Will definitely revisit and maybe I'll even wait for it to mature.

While I'm pretty new to this style of beer, I don't like this incarnation. I really enjoy the dark smokiness of it, and it is rather pretty. Its smell is flat to me, almost like stale pumpernickel bread soaked in a stout overnight and left to try. The alcohol content is fairly apparent (read: you can tell there's a smidge, but not necessarily that it's a 10% smidge), and the carbonation seems to me to interfere with the taste. Considering that I don't like its taste as much as I was hoping (and that I want to try other beers in this style), it is still surprisingly drinkable... Doubtful on my chances of ordering it at a beer bar, but it hasn't convinced me to give up on the style (unlike 99% of pilsners)

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

Live review. Poured from the 750 ML brown bottle capped with a gold foil covering that I bought at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor for $12.99 a few weeks ago into my gold rimmed Brewery Ommegang Westvleteren style goblet. No observed "best by" date. I like how there is no label. The information is printed right on the bottle.

A Very light brown creamy one cm head over a dark caramel but translucent body. The head is a bit underwhelming but the body makes it look delicious. 3.5

S Sweet malt with a distant bread like smell as well with the slightest hint of ginger or even cinnamon. Virtually no hops smelled by me. I really like this smell. It is warm, inviting, interesting. 4.5

T Wonderful warmth of sweet barley malt, some of that slightly spiced bread like goodness and also a wave of warm alcohol. The sweet malt taste includes a nice, fruitty bigness as well. It is kind of a gentle tasting fruit like maybe a nice apple. Overall very good. 4.5

M Significant carbonation makes this beer dance across the tongue and it is not quite as thick, syrupy as other beers in the style but there is a lingering, slight stickiness that is pleasant since the primary taste is so good. 4.0

D Good for the level of ABV and the style which does not usually lend itself well to drinkability. 4.0

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my last remaining spoils from a November 2007 trip to San Diego. I figure I can drink this now that I know AleSmith will be coming soon to the Philadelphia area.

2007 vintage

APPEARANCE: Pours into my New Belgium tulip a dark reddish brown. A dense, rocky bone-white head forms on top and slowly drops to a full one-finger high cap.

SMELL: It's showing its age a bit, but really wonderfully so. Intense vinous aromas with a hint of oxidized sherry notes. A caramelly malt base seamlessly blends with complex dark fruits. There's quite a bit going on here, but it's too integrated with itself to be very distinguishable.

TASTE: Oh that's good. The wine-like character comes through in the taste as well and is accompanied by raisin, plum, cherry, and every other dark fruit you can imagine. The yeast character shows itself in the form of some funky Belgian esters as the beer crosses the palate before finishing as rich, luxurious dark chocolate. A magical ride, for sure.

MOUTHFEEL: Just starting to take on the fuzziness of a soft carbonation due to age. The body is medium if not a shade lower which seems just about right to me.

DRINKABILITY: Tremendous. The alcohol is only a remote hint in an otherwise harshless beer. I'm thrilled to be able to sit down with this bottle all night.

A killer brew that holds up to some significant aging. I feel like this may be its peak (2-2.5 years or so). Now I just need to be on the lookout for more.

4.05/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 22oz bottle purchased in 2009 split with my family to celebrate my birthday!

Poured into a snifter - looks nice. Reddish in color with no head. A bit of head retention would make this score higher.

Smells great! Raisin, bready malt, caramel, some Belgian yeast, and some alcohol. For some reason the first sniff reminded me of a rum soaked raisin.

Taste is also quite nice. Toasted raisin bread with the crust on. Plum. Sweet Belgian candy sugar. Some dark cherries.

Mouthfeel falls a little short for me. I know it's bottle conditioned, but the carb is abrasive and rough to me.

Drinkablity was better than average but this is a hot beer. Overall it's enjoyable, but it's a big time brew!

4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

This seemed like a fitting beer for my 700th review...750 mL bottle, either 2008 or 09 vintage. Pours a mostly clear, crimson-brown color without much in the way of head retention or lacing.

Smelling this beer one might not know it was brewed somewhere other than Belgium. Caramely, sugared rum lend an almost quad-like nose. Bready yeast, dark fruits and brown sugared figs. Smells damn good.

Taste is rich chocolaty, yeasty goodness. Tastes like something between a BSDA, Dubbel and Quad. So complex, yet so drinkable! Caramely, toasty malts and brown sugar mingle with a nice yeast contribution of light fruits and heavy bread. Hides the ABV very well. Alesmith has really produced a winner here, I like it alot!

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Drank on xmas day after dinner. From notes:

Smells nice figs, caramel, yeast,

ruby red highlights, cherry color, some cloudiness to it. Pretty looking beer.

thin body, dark fruits yeasty. This one falls short of the usualy outstanding brews by alesmith. A little too thin. I love alesmith for the backbone of their beers. Good taste, just wanted more of it.

3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into a Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours medium brown with tons of carbonation. The head rises a good 4 fingers of light tan head, decently creamy. The retention is nice lasting several minutes. The lacing is very nice as well.

The aroma is medium, smells must like any other belgian dark ale, light hops, some carmel.

The taste is ok light malts on the front, some alcohol on the back.

The feel is a little light for my liking, but drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

A-the color pours a deep hazy reddish amber beer with tons of a thin white bubbly head that fizzles away and leaves no lacing on the glass

S-there are big notes of alcohol through. the smell also brings some wild yeast and clove that becomes sweet dark fruits of black cherry and ripe plum

T-the taste does not have nearly the presence of alcohol as the nose, however it is there. it brings a light yeast up front and is immediately overtaken by sweet malts of dark fruit, lots of ripe plum and some dark cherry

M-the body is on the lighter end of a full body which is nice, it is quite syrupy and slightly astringent towards the back of the throat. it also is highly carbonated which is a slight turn off for me

D-the taste hides the high alcohol very well and brings big malty sweetness, however too much carbonation and some alcohol presence takes away from the drinkability slightly.

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

Reviewed from notes for #150. Pours a light brown with a 1/4 finger head into my Chimay goblet. The head is light tan and has no real retention. Clouds of foam coat the top of the beer as with many other Belgian beers I have had. The beer is very cloudy, presumably from yeast floating in suspension. In the nose I get notes of fruits like apples and raisins, yeasty breadiness and a tiny pinch of alcohol. Pretty much smells like a typical Belgian, good nose. I would like a tiny bit more strength on it though. The taste is also very fruity. Apples, raisins and cherries come to mind the most, it is fruity but in a tasteful way, not like a fruit beer. Caramel/light malts back up the fruit and Belgian yeast and spices come into play with this. A good mix for an American made Belgian style beer. The mouthfeel is a bit watery/light for the big flavors. A bit of alcohol warming (well hidden) and low carbonation. The low carbonation suits the flavor pretty well. Coat of fruit/malts stays on the tongue. The price (in Boston) that I paid was a bit much for this beer but it is not a bad example of a Belgian style made in America. I prefer the other Alesmith beers and will continue to support their company. Will probably only try this one again if I somehow see it on tap.

3.93/5  rDev -3%

Sharing this bottle to celebrate the occurance of a Sunday night. The beer is not much to look at; pours with a small head with no life and no lacing. Smell is heavily fruity. Apples strike me the most. A small bit of alcohol In the nose as well. Begian yeast, apples, cherries, caramel, and a little toasty in the flavors. Mouthfeel is a bit thin medium light body. Good drink, relaxing and interestng.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

Alesmith's Grand Cru - contrary to what its name might suggest - isn't the finest, most exquisite thing to look at. It is a cold, muddied orange-brown tone that, frankly, doesn't seem all that keen of the light. Its surface is barren and has not bubbles nor lining nor lacing. Hopefully things start looking better from here on in.

Belgian yeasts are nothing if they are not distinctive, especially after a few years of aging (which this bottle has had). They are well-perfumed and redolent of both fruit and spice. Pear and apple (both terribly over-ripened) seem to be most prominent in this bouquet, tobacco leaf and toffee are also noted but are nowhere near as prevalent.

The spiced fruitiness is also what dominates on the tongue, contributions again on the behalf of the Belgian yeast. Cinnamon steeped apples, clove accented peach and coriander doused pear are all easily discerned. The malts, too, however, contribute with underlying tones of figs and dates, caramel and dark toffee to a much lesser extent.

Those with a sweet-tooth should enjoy this one. Its sticky malts combine with the alcohol to make it an especially rich beer with a long, lingering finish. The beer doubles well as a digestif or dessert wine, it is far better suited to a small snifter even than it is to a chalice or tulip glass. I'm sure my head will quickly hit the pillow once I'm through here.

My first time trying this beer, years ago, I thought I had once and for all discovered true beauty. I could give detailed personal account of the exact definition of 'delicious'. This sample, oddly, isn't striking me in nearly the same way. Perhaps it is changing tastes or perhaps it is the age on the bottle, but something has changed...

Conversations about California microbreweries rarely exclude Alesmith, and rightfully so. Their 'grand cru', however, arguably seems to have been mislabeled (although I acknowledge that as just my opinion). Then again, three years ago I would have told you this was the grand cru of all the entire brewing world (and my score for it reflected that). This time around I may not have been as impressed, but I was left equally satisfied.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

This beauty was given to biegaman by a friend and shared with me tonight. It was of uncertain vintage but likely 2006, possibly older I'd guess as it seemed, unfortunately, a bit over the hill. Cloudy prune juice on the pour, a murky mid-brown with no head whatsoever. Thin ring and no lace but for some small "polka dots" that were left after a healthy swirl in my tall tulip shape glass. After a short while, however, there wasn't even a trace of a thin ring and even a swirl produced nothing, it went perfectly flat and featureless.

The smell of pear predominated, also some semillion or sauvignon grape white wine aromas. With air and warming, a sweeter smell appeared, feint toffee. Taste had some very light caramel undertones but pear and carrot juice came to mind most, a bit of spice, possibly coriander, nothing too sweet and not much if any caramel that I expected. Body was thin, a bit spritzy to begin with, cleansing.

I look forward to trying this beer again once I locate a fresher bottle. Thanks Jan for splitting it, next one is on me.

Out of a 750ml capped bottle. Pours a clear ruby brown color with honey highlights, an off-white head with medium sized carbonation bubbles which settle into a light cap. The aroma is of bananas and clove from the Belgian yeast, some candi sugar and honeysuckle. The taste starts off with a big hit of coriander, some candied cherries and dark candi sugar. There is also some light banana and clove as well as an odd rust flavor. The feel is moderate with very fizzy carbonation, finishes sweet. A very solid BSDA. A little heavy on the coriander for my liking but the ABV is kept in check as well as the sweetness. This is very well made American made BSDA. Good job.

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

75cl bottle. Beautiful clear deep chestnut brown colored body. The head is pretty weak, but Ill cut it some slack because the color is really perfect. Wonderfully complex aroma of dark candi sugar, toffee, fruity notes of berries, and some cinnamon. The flavor is sweet and is dominated by toffee, with some vanilla dried fruit as well. I was looking for a little more balance and complexity, but it is still pretty nice. Full, almost chewy body is a bit heavy, but the ample amount of silky carbonation lets it move over the tongue well enough to avoid any excessive, cloying stickiness. Pretty nice beer, though missing some yeasty complexities that I look for in the style that would make it stand out. At the premium price it commands, I probably wont be buying this in the future.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

750ml poured into my personalized chalice. Shared with a buddy while watching the IU-Kentucky basketball game.

A: Deep brown with copper and ruby hues when held to the light. Thin yet creamy foam retreats quickly into a thinner ring with cloud-like surface coverage. Lacing is minimal.

S: Aromas of port soaked raisins, sweet chocolate and caramel malt. A fantastic balance of fruits, chocolate, caramel and alcohol.

T: Flavors follow lock stock and barrel with the aromas- raisins, alcohol, chocolate and caramel mingle nicely while fighting for top billing with each sip.

M: Medium-to-full bodied. Smooth, silky, syrupy and creamy all at once, with just the right amount of carbonation. Long finish and lingering flavors throughout the entire glass and into the second pour.

D: Alesmith Grand Cru has drinkability of the highest order, particularly for a brew with double-digit ABV. It helped to share the bottle. Inviting as it pours, Grand Cru draws you in further with the aroma and locks you down with a wonderful mix of complex flavors and a silky smooth finish. I have another bottle I intend to cellar, but we'll see if I have the will power to wait a year. Maybe I'll just have to buy a couple more bottles!

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Another find at Julios...

A: Dark brown with a small white lace head that quickly disappates. I love the dark ale color on this one.

S: I definitely smell some nice hints of sugar and dark fruit. Smells very satisfying.

T: Tastes slightly hoppy with a chocolate flavor aftertaste. More of a complex flavor, but once you get a handle on it, it's so tasty!

M: Not too crazy about the carbonation on this one. A little over-carbonated for me.

D: This one goes down fairly easy. Very taste, but the carbonation a little overbearing at times.

All in all, this is a great brew with a little too much carbonation. Very tasty, but the carbonation can be hard to get over. I definitely got over it and enjoyed this very much!

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Grand Cru pours a dark amber color. It's moderately hazy, but isn't opaque by any means. Light bleeds through giving it scarlet highlights. A vanilla colored head caps it off. It's modest and stands just under a finger tall. It receded quickly and left light strands of lace lining the glass. Perhaps it couldn't handle the alcohol content. That might make two of us. We shall see.

The nose is impressive. It could use just a little more strength, but it more than holds its own. Dark fruit comes through nice and strong initially. Prune, raisin, and fig are readily apparent. There's some apple and cherry in there, as well. Very nice array of fruit scents. They blend well with light spices and caramel malt. It smells sweeter than I would've expected. Belgian yeast is strong in the mix. That's a big positive. Good execution there. It smells a little spicy. Alcohol is blended well. This is a good smelling beer overall. With more muscle, it might be amazing.

The flavor profile is what really shines here. This is delicious beer. Raisin, plum, and fig flavors are strong throughout. They work really well with the sweet caramel flavor. Candied sugar furthers the sweet factor, which isn't a bad thing at all here. It works. Apple and cherry are secondary fruit flavors, but complement the dark fruits well. Belgian yeast is easily noted and adds a lot of character to flavor profile. Alesmith hit a homerun where many non-Belgian brewers strike out in that respect. It is spicy throughout, but it's a subtle spicy flavor. I really like how the spices seem to weave in and out of the flavor. Alcohol is masterfully blended. I'm finding it hard to believe this is a 10% beer. Grand Cru is a very deep BSDA that's full of character. I'm really impressed.

Grand Cru has a medium body that seems more substantial with warming. It's nice and smooth. Carbonation is somewhat deceptive and feels very light. A little more body would probably push it to a creamy level, but it's not far off as it is. Drinkability is very high. Yeah, this is a big beer, but it goes down so smooth and easy. A 750 will do for tonight, but I'm sure I'll be left wanting as the final drops leave the glass.

Alesmith is one of those few breweries that can seem to do no wrong. I'm always a little skeptical approaching non-Belgian takes on Belgian styles, but this is one of those rare instances where it's an astonishing success. It's not perfect and falls a little short of the world's finest BSDAs, but it's not far off. Perhaps a stronger nose and more body would elevate it to that status. I'm really impressed with Grand Cru though. This is great beer. If you have the opportunity, you'd be remiss to pass it up. Honestly, this is one of the better American BSDAs I've encountered. No joke. Find a bottle.

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A gold foiled 750ml bottle. Personally, I'd rather they skip the foil entirely and concentrate on something important, you know, like freakin' dating their bottles.

Poured into my Duvel tulip. The ale appears a hazed crimson chestnut color with about two fingers of golden rust colored foam. A nice looking pour. Nose and flavors consist of sweet malts, ripe cherries, toasted coconut, light cocoa notes, not much alcohol heat, pears, red apples, cherry candy, aromas are quite complex. The taste falls a bit short of the nose. the ale is amply carbonated but the body could be a little fuller. Worth a try.

3.6/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

2006 vintage; 750ml bottle. tasted last summer, just now posting my limited notes.

pours a brilliant bright orange with a white layer of dense bubbles.

aroma is all bright candied fruits...

Crisp citrus and spices dominate flavor.

rich and creamy mouthfeel.

Quite delicious!

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Purchased at Hi Times, Costa Mesa, CA
pours with a thick head that calms down soon after. Held in front of the light is a red brown with a gold halo. Nose is slightly sour (like a farmhouse/saison). Chilled, the taste is mostly in the brown sugar/fruit territory with spices, as it warms up the taste leans more towards the hops. Overall, mouth smacking good.

3.93/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle that I had brought back with me from California a couple months ago.

A: Chestnut brown color. Next-to-no head. Minor haze and some yeast sediment.

S: Banana, coconut, pineapple and maraschino cherry are the first four scents. Not at all what I was expecting. Hint of chocolate. Also some rich roasty scents as well. Followed by a slightly nutty scent. Yeast began to be evident after it warmed.

T: Cherry, chocolate, yeast and dark fruits meld together with some malty sweetness to form an interesting first sip. There's something else in here that I can't quite put my finger on. Overall, isn't a similar flavor profile to any other beer I've had.

M: Relatively smooth. Very little carbonation for the style. Abnormally low. Seems to be OK otherwise.

D: Moderately drinkable. Flavor doesn't quite live up to the scent. Alcohol is well masked though.

This poured a dark, hazy mahogany with a bit of tan head. It smelled like chocolate covered banana, with coconut and some nutty malt and light yeast. It tasted like banana and chocolate and cherry, with sour yeast and some nutty malt, and a bit of earthy nutmeg and alcohol. It was fairly thick with some carbonation, and had a mild sour aftertaste. Overall this had a nice smell and taste and body, making it an all-around good beer. It hid the alcohol fairly well, so it was easy to drink, but preferable to sip to fully enjoy. Not sure about aging ability. I'm sure it could last, but I'm not sure if it would improve. AleSmith makes some of the most amazing beer, and while this was far from bad, it didn't blow me away. A solid brew, but not the best ever.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to jamescrames for the awesome trade which included this bad boy. Into my favorite snifter it pours dark brown in with cherry hues on the edge. A diminutive bubbly tan head exits quickly, leaving a smattering of dots all around the glass. Smell is complex and bold with cherries, phenols, earthy hops, sweet malts and vinegar all working in concert. Some subtle pears and other light fruits exist in the extreme back. Taste isn't quite as complex, but remains intriguing with ripened dark fruits, spice, malts and an ascetic undercurrent. Mouth-feel is smooth, and would almost be silky if not for the ubiquitous hop bite and alcohol heat. Body lies just on the heavy side of medium, and the carbonation is mild. After it warms it becomes a little creamier going down, and I can begin to feel the alcohol warmth in my stomach, which is a really nice feeling. I'm sure a more refined palate than mine could find something noteworthily wrong with this brew, but I sure can't.

4.13/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a snifter. Slightly dark amber in color with one finger of tan head that quickly fades to a thin cap. Smells super sweet and malty like a nice Old Ale. Taste is consistent with the aroma, ultra sweet, malty, and fruity with a sightly bitter finish. Medium bodied and well carbonated, with no detectable trace of alcohol.

This bottle was a couple years old and seems like it was a very good time to drink. Any more age and the hops would have been totally gone and I think this beer would loose a lot of appeal. Very nice aged, but it has been a while since I have had this fresh. An extra hoppy bite would probably be good with this, so I'll be revisiting a fresh bottle and adding to my review soon.

AleSmith Grand Cru Ale from AleSmith Brewing Company