Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

AleSmith My Bloody Valentine - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith My Bloody ValentineAleSmith My Bloody Valentine

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.66% ABV

Beer added by: OStrungT on 02-13-2006

Don’t spend this Single Awareness Day alone – grab a beer! This red-blooded cousin of Evil Dead Red Ale, our Halloween Brew, is a beautiful crimson color. Notes of caramel, toast, and bittersweet chocolate balance an intense bouquet of floral hop aromas that we know you’ll fall in love with. The finish leaves a pleasant, full-bodied sweetness on the palate that won’t spread angry rumors about you to all your friends like that one time when I was…ohh…uhh…Happy Valentine’s Day!
2.43/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Beautiful ruby red, black cherry color. Nice 1 1/2 inch off white head.

S - Very subtle, mild malt, bread, a tad of hops, toffee notes are in there and some darker fruits like cherries, plum, a molasses kind of tone.

T - For being 6.66% the malt is pretty apparent. A slight biscuit tone, darker fruits as the note implies, mild cherry, plum, molasses. Almost no hops.

M - Very light to medium body. Nice carbonation, very oily going down. This lingering finish is weird.

O - This is nothing like Evil Dead, not in any way. Evil Dead is bold, this is it's preteen cousin. I did not care for it. I can get the same taste from generic brands. Waste of $5.00

2.79/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Important note: Bevmo was selling this for full price in "seasonals" section but it was bottled on 12/24/13... yikes! Don't be like me, always check that date BEFORE buying/ drinking, folks!

A - Rich, dark and clear red! Healthy foamy head left some nice lacing
S - Sweet, cabbagey, soft maraschino cherries and cream. Perfumy / floral aromas.
T - Confused. Sweet but a little sulfury / vegetably, Slight citrus bitterness but also quite creamy. Images of artificial candy shells comes to mind. Like candied beets or glazed carrots.
M - Fair amount of chew to the body, would be nice if the flavors were more appealing. Moderate carbonation leaves a cream sensation on the end.
O - Beer was too old, not the brewer's fault, I'll revisit this beer when the next batch rolls out.

2.95/5  rDev -26.4%

App: Dark ruby red with brownish hints. The head was off-white and fairly abundant, providing a decent lacing. The color was a bit dark for a red ale, but definitely reminded me of blood once I thought about it.

Smell: A crisp scent of heavy crystal malts came forth and took over the scent. There may have been some slight piney hopness, but it was hard to say if I was imagining it or not.

Taste: The first sip was really fantastic: a little fruity, a tinsy bit hoppy and very malty. From then on, it was downhill. The taste reminded me of my homebrews when they haven't been aged for long enough. It also had a distinct tea-like taste that seemed to result from some specialty malts. By the end of my pint I was struggling to find something I liked in the taste, and found the tea taste to be overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: This may sound pardoxical, or contradictory, or impossible, but this brew seemed to have both a heavy body and a light body at the same time. The crispness gives it a sense of lightness (along with the tea taste), while the massive amount of malt flavor show it to have a heft backbone. It's definitely interesting, and I can imagine many people enjoying this. It just wasn't for me.

Drinkability: Because the bar stated that this was a 10%abv brew, I must say that it is very drinkable. Not that I'd have another any time soon, but because it's so unnoticable. It feels like a standard red ale. It's so hard for me to believe that it's 10% that I think the bar may have been wrong.

2.98/5  rDev -25.7%

On tap at Johnny's in Highland Park.

Poured a nice dark red color (had to hold this one up to the light). Looks black in the dim bar. Nice one inch head, left good lacing on the glass.

Aroma was a bit sweet, and had a licorice like character to it.

Woah! This brew destroyed my palate! I wasn't expecting it to be so bitter from the aroma. Big kick of hop bitterness; very dry crisp flavor. I was expecting a lot more malt flavor before the hops invaded. Unbalanced in my opinion.

Full bodied brew with good carbonation. Bitter flavor clings to your palate for a bit.

I personally wouldn't have more than one of these in a night because it's just a bit too unbalanced and I couldn't dig the flavor.

3.16/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: amber/brown/red with a tan head.

S: hoppy like an IPA, but sweeter.

T: again, hoppy like an IPA, but much sweeter, but also reminded me slightly of a porter or stout due to the caramel/chalky aftertaste.

M: A bit too sweet for my tastes, as I'm not a huge fan of red ales, but still very drinkable. Kind of a weird hybrid of ale, porter and stout as mentioned above. I picked up a 22-oz bomber from my local shop for $3.50 on clearance, evidently they've had it left over since February. Not bad at all for that price.

3.26/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours a dark reddish brown with a light reddish head, no effervescing. Pretty cool looking beer, and appropriate for a valentines themed brew. Smell is sweet and bready, with some subtle hops. Taste is malty and fairly sweet, subtle hops again. Everything was pretty mellow: caramel, fruit, chocolate, bread. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy bodied. Low carbonation. Smooth and silky.

Overall, not bad, a bit too sweet for my taste mixed with heavy malt made it a slow drinker for me.

3.27/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured from a 22-ounce bomber into a Libby glass. :D

A: Dark red-brown, like a good dubbel. Otherwise, pretty clear. Nice tan head that quickly falls back to light lacing.

S: Great hop aroma. They dry-hopped the hell out of this.

T: The taste, unfortunately, is not as good as the smell. This is a bit too dry for me. A maltier backbone would be nice.

M: Again, it's dry. Astringency. Not crazy about that.

Overall, what this beer really has going for it is hop aroma. Otherwise, it's pretty a pretty average brew with a gimicky name.

3.51/5  rDev -12.5%

On tap at the Stuffed Sandwich

A: Aptly named...looks like a brown ale with blood mixed in. Head is made up of small to medium sized bubbles the color of cafe au lait.

S: Not very aromatic. Nutty, almondy, some caramel and some red fruits.

T: Flavor is subdued for an Alesmith brew. Begins citrusy, mostly grapefruit, but transitions quickly into berry fruitiness. Nutty flavors then emerge and linger for quite a while. Finishes with some bitterness and toasted biscuit flavors.

M: Medium mouthfeel, bit fuzzy.

D: I found this beer to be somewhat standard (for an Alesmith beer). Least favorite Alesmith to date. Mind you there is nothing wrong with this beer, I finished ever last drop happily.

3.56/5  rDev -11.2%

Draft served in a pint glass at Tustin Brewing Co. Since I was unfamiliar with this beer, the server described it to me as a "hoppy red".

A: Hazy deep reddish-brown with less than one finger of off-white head. Moderate lacing remains.

S: Weak spicy hops accompanied by little else. I expected more malty richness in the smell. This beer looks like it should smell much bigger and better than it does. The one caveat I can offer is that this beer was served too cold (as all but the cask seem to be at TBC).

T: Fairly balanced, with hops and malt components blended to the point that neither really stands out over the other. There's nothing aggressive about the flavor here, but it probably won't disappoint either. That said, I guess I was expecting a bit more aromatic hops to define this beer.

M: Medium body and low/moderate carbonation are appropriate for the style.

D: This beer is good overall, with the qualities to please drinkers with varying tastes. I would choose it over a hoppier beer to accompany a meal, since there is less aromatic hops here to get lost in the mix than in a typical IPA.

In a comparison of this beer with "hoppy red" offerings such as GF Hophead Red and Rogue Dry Hopped Red, I think this beer just misses the sweet spot. Stood alongside standard ambers such as Mendocino Red Tail, BP Calico, and AV Boont, it is a very strong offering.

3.56/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Nice retention, light cappuccino head, foamy with nice clingy lacing. A rusty plum color.

Nose: Toffee, chocolate, sweet malt.

Taste: Grapefruit and carmel. It is crisp and a little dry. Champagne type dry.

Notes: It's a little dry, if I were to spend Valentine's Day alone, I would want it to be sweet and malty. It's nice for a red ale, however.

3.57/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

a very well made beer, but I'm surprised people like it as much as they seem to here. its a really hoppy, really sticky, really thick, resinous ipa. deep brick red amber type color here, hazy and just thick as honey. the nose is citrusy hop, high alpha, robust and aggressive in all aspects. the malt bill is huge, the gravity is high, and i am shocked this comes in under 7% abv, its most impressive feature. a little pine from the hops, but its sort of tough to tell whether the sweet malt adds that sappy character or the hops does. I'm honestly not in love with it, it comes across a bit confused to say the least, bitter and sweet, but not in a good way really. it gets hard to drink, sticky and filling, especially with temperature, and just doesn't wow me the way it has for others. full body may be to its detriment here, just too much so deal with, but the carbonation tries as hard as it can to make this move, but its stuck. alesmith can really do no wrong for me, but i like this less than most of their other stuff, i expected more from a special release.

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a dark reddish amber. Looks like cranberry juice. Has a nice white head that dissipates quickly with decent lacing.

S- Nice hop aroma with light malt backbone. Not to pungent but nice.

T- Bitter hops, almost soap like, pine, and grapefruit, with a nice malt balance. Very nice red ale that almost has a pale ale hop profile. I like. Not to complex

M- Very nice for the style. Medium body with a crisp refreshing finish. This beer has active carbonation and no sign of alcohol.

O- A very nice beer from Ale Smith. It drinks easy and had a nice hop presence that borders the pale ale category. Dont get Ale Smith in NC but if we did I would drink this on the regular.

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%

22oz bottle $6.99 dated 12/23/2013. I wish this was a little fresher but whatever. Red color, good head and lace. Aroma us a malty red with a touch if piney hops, less than I expected. Flavor was caramel malts and again a small dosage of green hops. I really hoped this would have more if a hop blast since it's Alesmith but it was still a solid red. Not sure whether I should buy another bottle or not.

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%

Got this on tap at Toronado in North Park.

A - Looks like your standard ale but a shade or two darker. No head present.

S - Smells of hops and only hops. It was pretty strong.

T - It tasted like an IPA but on mute. You could taste the hops but it was like they were present in the beginning and dropped off a bit.

M - Pretty standard, a light feel on the tongue.

D - As much as I wasn't terribly impressed I still liked it and could drink this quite a bit. It's definitely quite different.

3.62/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a really nice red color with about a half inch of tan head. The head lingers for a time, leaving some nice lacing.

Hops tend to dominate the smell, seems to be mainly pine with a touch if citrus and floral.

Caramel and chocolate notes at the front, then the hops kick in, adding pine and floral flavors. The hops don't hit as hard as the smell suggests, it's actually sweeter up front then expected, and while there are definite hop flavors there, they don't overwhelm.

Smooth going down, with lingering carbonation that tingles the tongue.

A nice change of pace from my usual beers of choice. I am not a fan of hoppy beers, but this one balances the sweet and bitter notes so well, I didn't mind a stronger than normal hop presence. Tastes pretty much how I would expect a Valentine;s Day beer to taste, worth a try.

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an Allagash cervoise glass. Brewed for Valentine's Day.

A: Dark tan heads tops a nutty dark-brown beer that shines translucent and red in direct backlighting. Noticeable effervescence and great head retention.

S: Fruity hops. Tangerine and pineapple. Caramel malt.

T/M: It's okay. Clean and malty, with a hint of metal and a sweetish maintaste that lacks much character. Lightly carbonated and spicy mouthfeel redeems it somewhat. The aftertaste is bitterish and bland. It improves somewhat as it warms, but never develops much depth. Hops become more prominent and fruitily enjoyable.

O: I actually did like this beer, despite my criticisms (cue joke about the exgirlfriend). Still, I probably wouldn't have again unless I was desperate.

3.65/5  rDev -9%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful dark caramel/molasses red with a creamy tan head that dissipates somewhat fast.

Smell: toasted malts, hops, maybe a caramel toasted coffee scent,

Mouthfeel: light to medium bodied, with some carbonation. leaves the tongue slightly dry.

Taste: Hop forward with malt in the middle, and finishes dry like an IPA. I am getting again that slight coffee flavor like roasted fresh beans. this is not very present but maybe I am going crazy.

Overall: This is a good beer but nothing very special for the style. There are way better hoppy red ales out there. Tocobaga to name just one

3.65/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Draft poured into a tulip glass. Nice deep reddish color with a nice head, good retention and nice lacing. Red ales are not generally my favorite style but this had a very nice hoppy aroma. Flavor was good for the style with slightly more forward grassy hops than you might expect and a nice caramelly malty backbone. Perhaps a hair thin on the palate. Overall a very nice beer that I would happily order again

3.67/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired for $7.00 at a local SoCal bottle shop and served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery and the recommendation of a trusted friend, murrhey. 6.66% ABV confirmed. I believe this is the first year they've offered this in bottles. "Serve in a pint at 45-50 degrees."

Served cold, right in the temperature range suggested by the label. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a lovely three finger khaki colour head of nice cream, good frothy thickness, and incredible (8+ minute) retention for the moderately high ABV. Head is creamy and gorgeous. Sticky lacing remains on the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes. I'd say the head is ideal for the style. Body colour is a rather dark rich amber; it's decadent. A refined understated appearance. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Delightfully hoppy, with a dominant assertive floral character. Rich amber malts ride beneath joined by subtle caramelization. A bit of hop bitterness bite. I'm really looking forward to this; the aroma is striking. Pretty strong. Fragrant and inviting. I don't detect any alcohol or yeast character.

T: The depth of flavour emerging from the floral hop notes is delightful; this is really evocative. Amber malts and slight subtle caramelization comprise the supportive refreshing body. No yeast or alcohol comes through. There's a pleasant sweetness; I guess it could be subtle chocolate malt. There's also some subtle light fruity character; perhaps light cherry or raspberry. Together, these notes are redolent of chocolate covered luscious raspberry. Very Valentine's day esque. In any case, the balance here is damn near impeccable. Very impressive and evocative for the style. Complex and well put together. It's got subtlety; far more than I'd expect for the style.

Mf: Perfect thickness. Lightly crisp. Chewy. Smooth and wet, with an assertive bite that keeps you engaged. Ideal carbonation, if a bit high to execute that bite. Complements the flavour profile quite well. It could be a bit more creamy. Good palate presence, all around. It feels tailored specifically to the flavours. Well executed.

Dr: A highly drinkable red ale from Alesmith. Surpassed expectations. This is a gem for the style. I'm glad they're bottling it; it's definitely worth the $6-7 pricetag. A real hoppy treat and one of the best reds on the market. It feels strangely suitable for valentine's day; maybe it's that subtle chocolate touch. I never thought chocolate and really forward hops would be balanced so well. Bravo, Alesmith. I'd definitely try this on-draught. A real treat.

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on 12/23/13. 22oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a dark hazy plum with a fluffy khaki head which leaves great retention and lacing. The aromas have tons of sweet malts. Lots of caramel and butterscotch. There's some subtle ripe citrus notes as well. Some grapefruit and orange. Extremely subtle garlic notes. The flavors have a balance between the malts and hops, although I'd give the edge to the malts. There's some black cherry in the mix. Tons of caramel and toffee. Some pine resin. More citrus. Some grass. Slightly earthy. Alcohol goes unnoticed. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied. It's creamy, but loose; active carbonation. This is a nice beer to relax with.

Very solid red ale right here. They seem to focus on the malts more than the hops on this one, which is cool. This beer will be compared with Evil Dead Red, which I personally enjoy more. Evil Dead focuses on the hops. My Bloody Valentine focuses more on the malts. Two different takes on the styles.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ. From notes:

Appearance: Pours with a half-finger head, settles down quickly. Lacing was surprisingly scarce for such a hoppy beer, but existed - just very fleeting. Body is a pink-tinged ruby red that is really quite pretty.

Smell: Grassy hops dominate, with light citrus. On the back end is candy sugar and a slight medicinal quality.

Taste: Grapefruit citrus hops are more apparent here than the grassiness of the aroma. Sort of trademark "nutty" malt flavor from AleSmith shines through well here. There was a bit of an unpleasant hoppy bitterness on the back end after swallowing that I didn't enjoy, however. Hops obviously = bitterness, but I felt this didn't have enough hop flavor to justify the bitter quality on the tongue afterward.

Mouthfeel: Slightly astringent. Good carbonation.

Drinkability: The aforementioned bitterness made this suffer here, but it still was very sessionable.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

Grabbed this at dive bar review at the Daily Pint.

Appearance - Very dark, almost black. A nice head of about a half inch. It's a pretty good looking beer.

Smell - Some hops, surprisingly. Then some chocolate malt smell. Very complex, but almost muddy as a result.

Taste - Hops?! But then, not so much. It's got some chocolate with a slight coffee bitter finish. A lot of malt comes in after those hops. It's not really anything familiar. It's kind of good, but then kind of sweet and chocolaty, but then a little bitter instead. It's complex but not well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Fairly crisp for such a strange brew. Refreshing.

Drinkability - I like it better than most coffee-ish beers, but less than most hoppy beers. It's weird and interesting, and I almost want another.... Almost.

Glad I tried this one, but not blown away. It went quickly, but not sure if that's because I liked it, or I wanted it gone. A strange, complex, and worth trying brew.

3.79/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bomber split with friends. Big thanks to BA anotherjoe for gifting me with as an extra in a recent box exchange. The brew appears a mahogany to burnt amber color with a finger of khaki head. A full wall of webby lace sticks to the glass.

The aromatics are quite fruited seemingly from a mixture if alcohol notes and hops. A mild chocolate note is present before more of an herbal to dank backing of more hop character.

The flavor of this brew suggests raw cacao or green nib quality with a fruity alcohol and floral hop aspect just like the aroma suggests. Some toasty grain to molasses persists into the aftertaste. Overall not bad.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. Such a strange and unique combination of characteristics but decent enough to pay a visit to if given the opportunity. I am appreciative of the chance to try this but I probably would not have it again if I had other options available.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

I had this at the release party at the brewery. This is supposed to be the same beer as the Evil Dead Red but it tasted different to me. There was less of a fruit taste and more bready yeast. The colour was the same deep red/brown with a nice cask poured head. Smell was slightly of fruit, some bread, almost oaty. Taste was more of the same, except subdued. The smell was much stronger than the taste. Mouthfeel was good, it really coats the tongue. I could have a few of these. This is a nice well made beer, but i think the last batch brewed as the Evil Dead Red was better.

3.81/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Drank straight from bottle in train home from work so will give look rating 3.75 based on other review averages until I can have it again from proper glassware.

Smells of juicy citrus hops up front, followed by biscuit, floral hops, graham cracker, grapefruit, piney hops, mint, pepper, citrus fruit and a crisp malty backing like dry toast. The fruit comes out more with the second whiff and has some lemon zest, orange peel and pineapple mixed with caramel and malt. Would very much like to inhale this out of the glass.

Tastes like it smells with citrus hops up front, but the malt that follows is more prominent with cracker, wheat bread, biscuit and more bready and even doughy notes coming through before the shift to some of the floral hops and spices. Flavor has cocoa powder, yeast and what seems like coffee grinds mixing in with the grapefruit, piney hops, pepper and malt backbone. The fruit taste is lessened and more toasted grains come out as this shifts from hoppy smelling to grainy tasting with accents of lemon, orange peel and light spices. The aftertaste is like dry powder Ovaltine, with the chalky consistency, mixed with some potent citrus hops - odd combo that somehow works.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth as it slides across the tongue with ease and the mild carbonation lets it go down like a milk stout, as the body is medium with a slight chewy feel but it's thin and watery at the same time. Good beer that I'd like to try again from a glass to get the full experience.

AleSmith My Bloody Valentine from AleSmith Brewing Company