AleSmith My Bloody Valentine - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith My Bloody ValentineAleSmith My Bloody Valentine

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.66% ABV

(Beer added by: OStrungT on 02-13-2006)

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

3.15/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: amber/brown/red with a tan head.

S: hoppy like an IPA, but sweeter.

T: again, hoppy like an IPA, but much sweeter, but also reminded me slightly of a porter or stout due to the caramel/chalky aftertaste.

M: A bit too sweet for my tastes, as I'm not a huge fan of red ales, but still very drinkable. Kind of a weird hybrid of ale, porter and stout as mentioned above. I picked up a 22-oz bomber from my local shop for $3.50 on clearance, evidently they've had it left over since February. Not bad at all for that price.

2.25/5  rDev -43.2%

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep brown body with ruby highlights. Head is 1/3 inch and tan in color. Lacing and head retention are pretty good.

Smell is a mix of earthy hops and sweet malts mixed with toffee and burnt caramel. There is also slight metallic aroma and alcohol is very light.

Taste is classic profile of a red ale. Slightly metallic, slightly hoppy, with a strong malt backbone. Good balanced flavors, alcohol is slightly present at 6.6 percent.

Mouthfeel is nice and full for a beer not too high on alcohol. Good amount of head retention accentuates the creaminess of the beer while taming the carbonation level, tastes almost like its on nitro.

Overall it was a good seasonal beer. My gf got it for me and I gladly drank the whole bomber easily. Not my favorite style but a solid beer.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Review taken from notes beginning of MARCH 2014. Thanks to my California connection for this coming in the last trade.

22 oz brown bomber with a very festive screen printed label. A bloody heart oozing blood. running all over while an arrow looks to have just pierced the heart. Wow! Intense artwork, but I absolutely love it! It's a V-Day brew and I must say its a grand bottling. Can't say I've experienced a Valentine inspired ale, but hey! This is indeed my new favorite Valentine brew. Poured into a standard American pint glass.

A - a dark ruby red. Honestly more of the traditional blood red color you get when held to the light. It's a red ale for crying out loud! A khaki tan head sits a top making a truly grand spectacle. Finally leaving a sturdy ring of lace that provides wonderful and thick stick to the walls of my pint glass.

S - rich caramel notes up front paired with some toasted bread malt. Floral and citrusy hops only lay balance to what is overall a very delicious smelling red ale. Caramel really adds a whiff of sweetness and the chocolate notes just nail down a perfect aroma. A bit of pepper and spice in the back ground.

T - caramel richness and bready malts really pop at the start. A toasted malt character that is just out of this world followed by a load of hops. Caramel malt, toasted bread, sweet chocolate malt thats dark, floral and citrusy hops, peppery spice, burnt sugar, and a hint of honey all make for a brilliant flavor profile. Just imagine all those great tastes but balanced to perfection. Finish leaves amazing flavors on the tongue and begs you to take the next sip.

M - what a tremendous mouthfeel. Big medium body and thick textured, but still highly drinkable. Smooth overall with a crisp hop character. Just outstanding going down.

O - one of the best and new favorite red ales I've had. My friends will tell you I'm a huge fan of this style and that's no doubt the case as I always have lots of different reds/Ambers gracing my fridge year round. But let me tell you, Alesmith's 'My Bloody Valentine' will compete with the best this style has to offer and may just top them all on certain days. What a treat! A valentines day treat that will have me making extra special preparations at having one of these fine dark red gems the day of V-Day next year

AleSmith My Bloody Valentine from AleSmith Brewing Company