AleSmith Wee Heavy - Barrel Aged - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Wee Heavy - Barrel AgedAleSmith Wee Heavy - Barrel Aged

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  9.50% ABV

This was barrel aged and limited to 234 hand numbered bottles from the 2004 batch of Wee Heavy and released in 2005.

(Beer added by: scottoale on 04-08-2006)

PeprSprYoFace, Nov 21, 2011

ineva, Mar 18, 2012

tbeq00, Dec 11, 2013

miadw3, May 08, 2013
4.97/5  rDev +15%

Bottle 96/222 of the 2005 batch sampled courtesy of Sparky27 @ Hellbilly’s Hellraiser 3.0...THANKS ERIC!!! This one has to take the top honors of the night (and Rodenbach Alexander, Southampton RIS, and Toronado 20th were in the Hiz-Ous)...rusty penny/maple syrup pour with a razor-thin caramel head. Aroma has strong barrel-notes; oak, bourbon, toffee, and molasses. Flavor is sweet malt, candied sugar, dark fruit, brown sugar, and freshly spliced vanilla bean. Quite thick and sticky...WOW!!!

BOLTZ7555, May 29, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +15%

2005, I can see this getting better in 3-5 years, thats how good this brew is. Had never had a regular Wee Heavy from Alesmith for some reason. Intense brew, dark rich and had a finish like no other. Alc and acidity keep this very focused but still it's big. Barrel aged nose of burbon is tied into chocolate and dark coffee type aroma. Haunting. Powerful mid palate.

Thanks to Tom at O'Brien's SD and his Alesmith tasting for this. Maybe the best beer I've ever had.

paytoplay, Sep 17, 2008
4.96/5  rDev +14.8%

sukwonee, Sep 06, 2014
4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Wow, what can I say about this one. Bottle #205/234 from the 2006 edition. Needless to say I am absolutely thrilled to be getting to open this one. I wish I had someone to share it with, unfortunately this one is going to have to be handled on my own, well fortunately for me anyway J I had this sitting in the fridge for a good little bit until I decided to open it up on a whim last night. I let it warm up to around cellar temp before I decided to unwrap the gold foil and pop the cap open on this one, letting loose all the mayhem that ensued. The glass of choice for this one would of course be my brand new and now personal favorite 22oz Terrapin snifter, which I am finding myself use for just about everything now.

Appearance - The pour was nice with a very opaque, deep, dark, mahogany brown color coming out of the bottle. Nothing really spectacular as far as the head goes, with really only the slightest crown of tan coming over the top for a few fleeting moments before vanishing almost as quickly as it came into a thin line around the rim. No side glass lace either as this one was looking more like a motionless abyss.

Smell - The aroma was breathtaking. The rich smell of Bourbon was almost overwhelming at first. I had to really let it breath before I could take in just how good this one actually was. Really full aroma, one of the most complex I have ever come across. The barrel aging has transformed this beer into something that is nowhere close to the way it once was. Huge bourbon smells now mixing with a nice oak like aroma, hints of vanilla and earthy tones, the malt from the original gone. Just breathtaking the transformation that took place on this one.

Taste - The flavor was just a beautiful continuation of the aroma. It started out with a huge rush of bourbon, a touch hot, but endlessly complex. Letting it warm brought out gorgeous notes of vanilla, some dark fruit, perhaps raisins, and a good touch of what almost seemed like peppery spices as well. Really just fantastic. Nice oak flavor, barrel aging really doing a job here now. The old Wee Heavy is long gone, now being replaced by this masterful barrel aged beer. I was enormously impressed here and to be honest have to score it perfectly just based on the transformation.

Mouthfeel - It may have been low on carbonation, but the feel of this one did not suffer at all. It was almost like a perfectly aged old ale by now. This was really just so silky smooth, a full feel on the tongue that just lingered on forever. I don't think it could have gotten much better then this.

Drinkability - What is there really to say that I haven't already. I sipped on this one in my glass for a few hours I think. Never really getting tired of it, and I actually was a touch sullen when the last drop eroded away. It was just the perfect nightcap. There was no way though that it was only 9%, way underrated here. This was easily north of 12% and you could feel it, this one really started to put a hurting on me after a little while, but still, it was tremendously good and really in a class of its own.

Overall I thought this was easily one of the best beers I have ever had. The only thing it lacked was a little bit better initial presentation, but aside from that, it was just sublime. I could have had a dozen bottles and would open one every night. I just think it was amazing the transformation this one undertook. Some Barrel agings just do not go over well, this one on the other hand just went perfectly. I could not have envisioned it being any better. Just perfect I would love to have it again, and can only imagine what the Speedway must be like, if I can ever manager to get a hold of a bottle of that one!

mikesgroove, May 29, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Huge Huge Huge thanks to fishingnet for this one. 06 Version Bottle 163/254

A: Pours a murky amber hue with a small offwhite head. Very little retention and no real lace.

S: Wonderful barrelific aromas. Tons of fresh oak, vanilla, and wafty booze. Subtle smoky aromas hide beneath with brown sugar coated dark fruits.

T: Alesmith knows how to barrel age beers. As we all know the base beer for this one is world class to start with. The great part is the base beer is still there. Wonderful sweet malt, caramel, brown sugar, and toffee can all be picked out. The barrel does push it to another level though. The way the oak, vanilla, and booze seem to meld into the base beer is perfect.

M: Full in body, rich, smooth, wonderful.

D: I could sip this one all night long.

tpd975, Jul 05, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +13%

750ml bottle acquired from an SD friend in my time of need. Thanks for the opportunity, Scott. 2004 vintage, #33 of 234, gold foiled cap.

Poured in a Rapscallion glass, poured with a 1/8" tan head over the brownish burgundy brew. Bubbles quickly retreated to the edges, leaving a few bubbles in the center, and a light film elsewhere. Aroma is dark fruits, leathery lightly smoky malts, and soft intensity of rounded edges alcohol. Taste is <wow> super rich maltiness upfront, smoke wisps again floating around, with a dry booziness in the middle that almost takes your breath away with its near evaporation, and closes with a return of the deep malt, warming all the way down, and even leaves the gums a little numb. Mouthfeel is velvet smooth, and retains ample carbonation for a BA brew. Drinkability is high because I want to enjoy this again, but know that I probably won't.

Feels weird to enjoy a brew that people would pay hundreds of dollars for on eBay, since I didn't and couldn't pay that much for it. Just have to bask in my fortunateness and luck.

ppoitras, Feb 27, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

From the limited special offering of 234 bottles of J.P.Gray's Wee Heavy scotch style ale, this comes in a 750ml. green glass champagne bottle with silkscreened label (also numbered) and a gold foil on the cap/neck. This is #196 and it pours a beautiful deep, darkish burgundy red with a half inch of a creamy tan head. Nice delicate lacing, trailing behind each sip.

Oak,smoke, cherries and alcohol send your sense of smell into delerium...is this beer, an ultra fine-wine or a liqueur ? It smells insane ! Gotta taste it.

The flavor is almost too complex for a mortal human like myself to describe accurately. Starts off like a cherry flavored tequila with oak making it's presence in a most mellowing manner. It loads the palate with sweet fruity flavors to the sky, the alcohol then runs away with it to the point where you wonder "what the hell am I drinking ?" It's a bit sweet yet balanced, then turbo-charged with a potency that brings to mind, a fine cognac indeed...but this is beer ?

The mouthfeel is velvety-smooth, round and filling. The warming down the gullet is incredible. The oak does amazing things to the ageing of a beer of this caliber, while it is delicious and only young at this stage, proper ageing of this wonderful creation will probably go down in history books. Luckily, I'm cellaring my last three bottles, as I'm sure these will age like no other...can hardly wait !

This is an ale of around 10%ABV, while easy to drink by a veteran of very strong ales...you best respect and sip this one, no kidding !!!

A hearty cheers to AleSmith for a one-of-a-kind ale of distinction...wish the best to the fortunate few that get to savor this one.

scottoale, Apr 08, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks to the random guy at jackie o's for the pour!

A-carmel brown with no head whatsoever

S-very well melded bourbon and carmel. Very inviting

T-follows the nose. Vanilla bourbon and awesome. Simply splendid

M-medium body and oh so smooth

O-wow. Unexpected treat. Almost perfect

brew3crew, Aug 27, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

The father of an AleSmith brewer brought a bottle of 2004 on the Quaff Campout. You know, the ones in the old green bottles.

We tasted it amongst barrel aged Numbskulls and Decadence of various vintages, but angels sang when we tasted this one. Creamy, rich malt with a little sherry oxidation note. Everything came together so smoothly.

I wish I had the patience to save some beers a few years...

tarface23, May 27, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

drinking bottle #517/972 of the 2009 vintage released in 2011

A- dark dark brown, almost black, very minimal head

S- amazing oak, dark fruit, burbon, caramel, toffe, very complex, molasses... Smells amazing

T- very smooth up front going into an incredible blend of burbon, caramel, vanilla, toffe, and tons of barrel character, finishes with a touch of alcohol and dark fruit.

M- very low carbonation, medium mouthfeel, very very smooth, I love the low carbonation in this beer.

O- incredible, I am so fortunate to be able to be drinking this. Amazing.... I don't know what else to say... So much barrel character! So derrricious!

PeterIngemi, Jan 10, 2012