AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel AgedAleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged

Wants: 1,791
AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 07-03-2006)

3.5/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

One of the beers I've always wanted to try. Happy they re-released this one in 2011, and was thrilled to come into a couple bottles. A big thanks to johndoe8 for the trade, and a mamoth thanks to Irishgurl4 for including this bottle in my box. Cheers kids!

From a 750ml into a snifter
Vintage: 2009
Note: Drunk after a 2 year old bottle of the base beer. Comparisons drawn.

APPEARANCE: Pours out thick black and produces a three finger, thick mocha colored head with great retention. Head cascades up from the netherworld. Jet black body with no carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a good film and clings to the sides of the glass. A swirling wisp and a ring remain until the end leaving lots some dots of lacing down the glass. A beauty of a stout and much like the base beer, though the lacing is not quite as perfect.

SMELL: Nice, balanced nose. Roasted malts, molasses, with both dark and milk chocolate there. Touches of coffee as well, though quite muted now, and even more so than the aged base beer. Barrel is there, with some bourbon, oak and vanilla, but it is quite restrained. Very balanced, but somewhat mute for the style.

TASTE: A little underwhelming up front, with some roasted malts and touches of coffee still. Sweet molasses through the middle with some milk chocolate as well, moving into a bourbon barrel finish. Bourbon, oak and vanilla for sure come out nicely after the swallow, with a touch of booze as well. Bigger and lingering aftertaste of barrel, sweet molasses and some bitter chocolate. Well balanced again, but a little muted up front and much of the coffee flavor of the base beer has disappeared. Even less coffee notes than in the aged base beer. The barrel helps after the swallow, however.

PALATE: Medium body and higher levels of carbonation for the style. Light on the palate, unfortunately, though still creamy and oily, goes down fine and finishes rather mouth-coating. Some heat lingers. The barrel has thinned and lightened up the feel somewhat.

OVERALL: This is a good beer, but nothing more than that. Unfortunately the barrel aging has muted the coffee flavors and lightened up the feel, making this more of generic barrel aged stout as opposed to a BA Speedway. Furthermore, the barrel flavors aren’t even that impressive in themselves, so it’s not even an exciting generic barrel aged stout. The regular Speedway is a fantastic brew, but the time in the barrel has muted all that made it special. A shame really. If you love Speedway, just stick to the base beer, but if you love bourbon barrel stouts, pick something that showcases the barrel flavors better. Anyways, while this was a bit of a letdown, I was thrilled with the chance to try it out. Thanks again for the trades johbdoe8 and Irishgurl4.

3.63/5  rDev -19.7%

2007 release #315 of 447. Gray waxed cap under gold foil. I used a Brooklyn snifter for this one. Jet black pour with 1/2" of espresso colored head. The head slowly dissipates before the 1st sip. Hot fudge, molasses, french roast ground coffee aroma.
Touch of bourbon sour at first. As it warmed, the sour bourbon released a little. Coffee and bourbon and bourbon. Drinking like a raspberry framboise with a tad of coffee. Quite sour...drink now.

3.7/5  rDev -18.1%

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2007 vintage. Received in a trade from Jw347. Thanks John!

A: Pours a nearly pitch black body with a billowy dark mocha head; it retains well and leaves a substantial collar on the brew. Quite nice for a beer of this style and gravity.

S: Great aroma. Lots of chocolate, toasted marshmallow, vanilla, bourbon, caramel. I pick up hints of sherry-like oxidation, coffee, oak, and earth.

T: I let it warm to have the full flavor come out. It's incredibly complex, but the oxidation dominates this beer, too much for my tastes. It introduces a light tartness, sherry / wine, and salty soy. Those aren't deal-breakers in barrel-aged beers anymore, but they have an optimal concentration, and this beer exceeds that. Still, the rest of the flavor isn't irredeemable: it's chocolatey, coffee-driven, and earthy. It has a nice caramelly bourbon to it, and I pick up toasted oak in the finish.

M: Full in flavor, medium in viscosity. Good carbonation. No heat.

D: It comes together a lot better as it warms, but I am never in love with it. I'm glad I had it, as I was very curious about this one, but I'm not breaking the cellar for it in the future. The fresher one out of a growler was more to my liking.

3.73/5  rDev -17.5%

2006 bottle shared by northernbrews at the Sept. 09 Metro Detroit tasting. Jet black pour with no head. The aroma was chocolate and roast with heavy oxidation and hints of oak, vanilla and bourbon. The flavor is more of the same with a distinct soy sauce like quality. Oily, full body. Sadly this seems to not have aged quite so well.

3.78/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

a-black as night, prune colored, thin, airy head (khaki colored).
s-molasses, licorice, pecans, vanilla, port, sherry, burnt plastic, rasins, rum, chocolate covered espresso beans.
t-acetone, vanilla, astringency, char, rasin, cherry, phenolic.
m-thin, bubly, dry, light
o-disappointed some with this one. i thought the barrel treatment would mellow and enrich the body of the base beer, but it wasn't as viscous as i'd have liked it to be. i think with the bourbon and with all the coffee, there was just too much acidity; ba speedway was just a bit too astringent for my liking.

3.8/5  rDev -15.9%

Bottled 10/30/13

3.83/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in a tumbler.

How many huge beers can we try in a night? This one pours a very deep and very dark black-brown topped by a nice finger of sandstone foam. The nose comprises cheaper whiskey, roasted malts, mild coffee, and a light dusting of cocoa powder. The taste brings in more of the same, with the whiskey still riding tall in the saddle, but not quite as roughshod over the roast and coffee as before. Moreover, a stronger undercurrent of oak worms its way underneath the proceedings. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, a solid barrel-aged stout, though not quite as good as the base would indicate. If anything, I'd take the normal, everyday Speedway over this most days of the week. That said, it's still pretty good, just not nearly as good as its current reputation would suggest.

3.85/5  rDev -14.8%

Thanks to RoyMunson for sharing this bottle. 750ml brown bottle poured into a snifter. Notes. '06 bottle.

A: Pitch black, medium viscosity. Some head and a bit of lacing.

S: Some barrel and old coffee. Roasted malts.

T/M: More of the barrel and some bourbon, some vanilla. Roasty, stale coffee. Things don't really meld too great. Body is medium full with mellow carbonation. Somewhat dry.

D: Solid but not earhty shattering. I prefer the other 2 BA'ed brews.

3.88/5  rDev -14.2%

Thanks, glazeman. I've been waiting for this for a long time. Probably currently my biggest want, and here it sits before me. 2009 vintage.

Appearance is very nice. Two finger head that fades to a quarter finger and hangs around. Cappuccino colored head that is darker at the junction of the foam and beer. Thick, nice legs. Can't see through this one, as it should be.

Smell is outstanding. Vanilla, coconut, booze, chocolate, and dark fruits. Up front nose reminds me of Hawaiian Tropic sunscreen.

Taste is good, but a little too bitter for me. I enjoy the vanilla/bourbon up front and chocolate in the middle, but the harsh, burnt, bitter, porter-like, coffee ground finish is quite offensive. Honestly, I was hoping for a little bit more of a BA Yeti, CBS, or Event Horizon-like picture, but the base beer here is just too harsh and roasty for me.

Overall this is a very good beer. I would love to try it again. But, since my expectations were SO high, I am a little bit disappointed.

3.88/5  rDev -14.2%

Jeffo strikes again with a killer theme for Tuesdaynight beers at my crib. Had this thing on my wants ever since I tried the regular Speedway Stout which became an instant favorite. I can hardly contain myself.

A hord pour into my snifter revealed a thick black beer with a fluffy three finger head that leaves some nice lacing.

On the nose this is a winner. A nice balance between the regular Speedway Stout and the barrel. Everything is there but nothing is dominating. Hints of soy, sweetness and some vanilla of the bourbon. Very nice.

Flavors a solid but a bit of a let down after the nose. Where the nose promised a perfect balance between base beer and the barrel the bourbon barrel takes over quite a bit. It's quite good but not as special as you'd think of such a hyped up beer. There is a clash between the sweetnes and the bitterness I don't care for.

It has a light creamy, silky mouthfeel. Not as thick as I expected after the pour. A decent amount of carbonation.

Drinking this beer was great experience. I was really excited to try this and now I know. I don't think I'd go through a lot of trouble to aquire this but won't say no when offered. It's almost a love/ hate between me and this beer. Jeffo nailed it again for beer theme night and now I have to see how I can out do him for the next Tuesday...

3.93/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours black with a brown head. Aroma is strong coffee and oak. Flavor again is more strong coffee, oak, bourbon, cream, toffee, booze, and just a hint of paper. Silky smooth mouthfeel. Some hint of the abv. I really liked this one, but after everything was said and done I almost prefer the non BA speedway. I did here from a few folks I shared this with it wasn't up to par with other bottles tasted. Still though, I'm so glad I finally got to try this.

AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged from AleSmith Brewing Company