AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel AgedAleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged

Wants: 1,753
AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 07-03-2006)
3.5/5  rDev -22.6%

FRAeULEINBiER, Dec 30, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -22.6%

RMTWM, May 24, 2013
3.63/5  rDev -19.7%

2007 release #315 of 447. Gray waxed cap under gold foil. I used a Brooklyn snifter for this one. Jet black pour with 1/2" of espresso colored head. The head slowly dissipates before the 1st sip. Hot fudge, molasses, french roast ground coffee aroma.
Touch of bourbon sour at first. As it warmed, the sour bourbon released a little. Coffee and bourbon and bourbon. Drinking like a raspberry framboise with a tad of coffee. Quite sour...drink now.

RustyDiamond, Sep 30, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -18.1%

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2007 vintage. Received in a trade from Jw347. Thanks John!

A: Pours a nearly pitch black body with a billowy dark mocha head; it retains well and leaves a substantial collar on the brew. Quite nice for a beer of this style and gravity.

S: Great aroma. Lots of chocolate, toasted marshmallow, vanilla, bourbon, caramel. I pick up hints of sherry-like oxidation, coffee, oak, and earth.

T: I let it warm to have the full flavor come out. It's incredibly complex, but the oxidation dominates this beer, too much for my tastes. It introduces a light tartness, sherry / wine, and salty soy. Those aren't deal-breakers in barrel-aged beers anymore, but they have an optimal concentration, and this beer exceeds that. Still, the rest of the flavor isn't irredeemable: it's chocolatey, coffee-driven, and earthy. It has a nice caramelly bourbon to it, and I pick up toasted oak in the finish.

M: Full in flavor, medium in viscosity. Good carbonation. No heat.

D: It comes together a lot better as it warms, but I am never in love with it. I'm glad I had it, as I was very curious about this one, but I'm not breaking the cellar for it in the future. The fresher one out of a growler was more to my liking.

Arbitrator, May 17, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -17.5%

2006 bottle shared by northernbrews at the Sept. 09 Metro Detroit tasting. Jet black pour with no head. The aroma was chocolate and roast with heavy oxidation and hints of oak, vanilla and bourbon. The flavor is more of the same with a distinct soy sauce like quality. Oily, full body. Sadly this seems to not have aged quite so well.

punkrkr27, Feb 10, 2010

CityofBals, Sep 12, 2013

gueuzegossage, Jun 25, 2013

HRamz3, Sep 27, 2013
3.78/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

a-black as night, prune colored, thin, airy head (khaki colored).
s-molasses, licorice, pecans, vanilla, port, sherry, burnt plastic, rasins, rum, chocolate covered espresso beans.
t-acetone, vanilla, astringency, char, rasin, cherry, phenolic.
m-thin, bubly, dry, light
o-disappointed some with this one. i thought the barrel treatment would mellow and enrich the body of the base beer, but it wasn't as viscous as i'd have liked it to be. i think with the bourbon and with all the coffee, there was just too much acidity; ba speedway was just a bit too astringent for my liking.

patm1986, Mar 06, 2013
3.8/5  rDev -15.9%

Bottled 10/30/13

brotherloco, Yesterday at 12:43 AM
3.83/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in a tumbler.

How many huge beers can we try in a night? This one pours a very deep and very dark black-brown topped by a nice finger of sandstone foam. The nose comprises cheaper whiskey, roasted malts, mild coffee, and a light dusting of cocoa powder. The taste brings in more of the same, with the whiskey still riding tall in the saddle, but not quite as roughshod over the roast and coffee as before. Moreover, a stronger undercurrent of oak worms its way underneath the proceedings. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, a solid barrel-aged stout, though not quite as good as the base would indicate. If anything, I'd take the normal, everyday Speedway over this most days of the week. That said, it's still pretty good, just not nearly as good as its current reputation would suggest.

TMoney2591, Sep 28, 2013
3.85/5  rDev -14.8%

Thanks to RoyMunson for sharing this bottle. 750ml brown bottle poured into a snifter. Notes. '06 bottle.

A: Pitch black, medium viscosity. Some head and a bit of lacing.

S: Some barrel and old coffee. Roasted malts.

T/M: More of the barrel and some bourbon, some vanilla. Roasty, stale coffee. Things don't really meld too great. Body is medium full with mellow carbonation. Somewhat dry.

D: Solid but not earhty shattering. I prefer the other 2 BA'ed brews.

pwoods, Nov 04, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -14.2%

Thanks, glazeman. I've been waiting for this for a long time. Probably currently my biggest want, and here it sits before me. 2009 vintage.

Appearance is very nice. Two finger head that fades to a quarter finger and hangs around. Cappuccino colored head that is darker at the junction of the foam and beer. Thick, nice legs. Can't see through this one, as it should be.

Smell is outstanding. Vanilla, coconut, booze, chocolate, and dark fruits. Up front nose reminds me of Hawaiian Tropic sunscreen.

Taste is good, but a little too bitter for me. I enjoy the vanilla/bourbon up front and chocolate in the middle, but the harsh, burnt, bitter, porter-like, coffee ground finish is quite offensive. Honestly, I was hoping for a little bit more of a BA Yeti, CBS, or Event Horizon-like picture, but the base beer here is just too harsh and roasty for me.

Overall this is a very good beer. I would love to try it again. But, since my expectations were SO high, I am a little bit disappointed.

airohead2001, Aug 16, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -14.2%

Jeffo strikes again with a killer theme for Tuesdaynight beers at my crib. Had this thing on my wants ever since I tried the regular Speedway Stout which became an instant favorite. I can hardly contain myself.

A hord pour into my snifter revealed a thick black beer with a fluffy three finger head that leaves some nice lacing.

On the nose this is a winner. A nice balance between the regular Speedway Stout and the barrel. Everything is there but nothing is dominating. Hints of soy, sweetness and some vanilla of the bourbon. Very nice.

Flavors a solid but a bit of a let down after the nose. Where the nose promised a perfect balance between base beer and the barrel the bourbon barrel takes over quite a bit. It's quite good but not as special as you'd think of such a hyped up beer. There is a clash between the sweetnes and the bitterness I don't care for.

It has a light creamy, silky mouthfeel. Not as thick as I expected after the pour. A decent amount of carbonation.

Drinking this beer was great experience. I was really excited to try this and now I know. I don't think I'd go through a lot of trouble to aquire this but won't say no when offered. It's almost a love/ hate between me and this beer. Jeffo nailed it again for beer theme night and now I have to see how I can out do him for the next Tuesday...

doopiedoopiedoo, Sep 28, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours black with a brown head. Aroma is strong coffee and oak. Flavor again is more strong coffee, oak, bourbon, cream, toffee, booze, and just a hint of paper. Silky smooth mouthfeel. Some hint of the abv. I really liked this one, but after everything was said and done I almost prefer the non BA speedway. I did here from a few folks I shared this with it wasn't up to par with other bottles tasted. Still though, I'm so glad I finally got to try this.

pepsican, Apr 19, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -13.1%

Thanks to jonathanL for breaking this out tonight. I feel really privileage since I was wanting to try this for a very long time and I know the effort that went in to securing this bottle.
Its a 2006 BA speedway.

A - Pours a nice deeply black with little light penetrating the thickness of it.

S- It has some bourbon on the front end with big dark fruit prunes especially.

T - Once the bourbon clears you get coffee then chocolate with a very smooth silky finish.

Drinkability is very easy on this. The other guys were saying they may still prefer the regular speedway over the BA version. I like both versions and would but this everyday if it were available to me.

BgThang, Mar 15, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -13.1%

I consider this to be my cellar's crown jewel, and I want to thank Nobama, who, in spite of questionable politics, gave me the biggest trade I have ever done on here, including this 2006 vintage BA Speedway. This is one of a few remaining beers that I have to try from the top 100. Speedway Stout is easily in the top five I have ever had. Barrel Aging, with the exception of Blackout Stout (IMO) has never done anything but make a great beer incredible. Let's see how we do here.

Look, off the bat, is quite a tough one. Judged against imperial stouts, this would score a bit lower, but considering the aging and barrel life, this one gets a tiny curve. Think layer of mocha head that is hanging around quite a bit. Liquid is black with some highlights when held up to light. Lacing is minimal.

Nose is actually relatively light on the barrel as I pick up more dark fruit scent. Unfortunately that is about all I can pick up. It's a good, if slightly oddly unrefined. Chocolate is way in the background. The barrel actually seems to upset what was a perfect balance.

Mouth is going to be tough..this is where Speedway excelled and, really, was probably the best imperial stout I had ever had. So far, the barrel has actually caused some issues with that formula, but traditionally, this is where the bourbon comes in best. The good news is that this isn't too hot and there is certainly some Speedway in there. The coffee has left the building, but the dark fruit and chocolate are hanging around. Truth be told, while this is great, I still prefer the regular Speedway stout.

Mouth is the high point of this brew, it is a relatively thick beast with relatively low carbonation.

Overall, I wouldn't go too far out of your way to get this one. There are better BA beers on the market, and it's little brother, IMO, is a better all around beer.

sonicdescent, Aug 01, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -12.6%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a medium size foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of dry whisky with notes of dry roasted malt is interesting. Taste is a nice mix between some dry roasted malt notes with some coffee though not as much as in the original version with some dry whisky notes. Body is about average with medium carbonation and alcohol is not too apparent. A bit too dry and astringent for my taste thought still very much enjoyable.

Phyl21ca, Dec 12, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -12.6%

'06 Version.
Pours a very dark brown in color. There's a short lived frothy ring of head around the perimeter of the glass. Very subdued bourbon in the nose. Good to see that the bourbon is not dominating. Still some good roasty coffee notes coming through.
There's much more coffee coming through in the taste. So much in fact that it's dominating the bourbon barrel aging effects. I expected just the opposite. Also was a bit thinner in the mouthfeel than I was expecting. Ends up being a bit more balanced than I was expecting. Not earth moving, but then again, don't know if this had a chance to live up to the hype.

FtownThrowDown, Nov 30, 2008