AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel AgedAleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged

Wants: 1,955
AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: beerguy101 on 01-01-2004

Reviews: 296 | Hads: 1,648
4.45/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Much thanks to hopdog for busting open this 2004 version. Bottle 134/228...
Appears a hazy dark brown, nearing black with a small, tan cap. Spotty bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of vanilla, oak, cocoa, caramel, toffee, espresso, and brown sugar.
Taste is of the addictive aromas with a sweet apple and cherry flavor pulling through in the flavors.
Mouthfeel is chewy, with oak tannins sticking to the pallet, with black cherry and coffee resounding in the finish. (483 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bottle from 2007.

Pours a dark black with a little bit of offwhite head.

Aroma is booze and coffe, really deep and dark with strong bourbon, damn this smells good.

Flavor is lots of bourbon with coffe and dark roast malt around the edges.

very full in the mouth, carb isnt overwhelming but enough.

By far my favorite -Bal beer, the bourbon really complements the base. (373 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +9.7%

Review #500 on BA (well, not really, but I first entered this as BA Speedway and that review was actually #500, then someone told me it was "The Vine" version, then it was merged back with BA Speedway since it was essentially the same beer - oh well). Had this from a growler, huge thanks to Smokepot23. Been looking forward to this for a long, long time. Speedway Stout is so awesome on its own that I couldn't even imagine what would happen when they aged it in the -bals. The answer is that it became a ridiculously good beer, even among ridiculously good beers.

A - Pours a clear light golden color...no, scratch that, actually it's pitch black. This is where photons go to die. Not much in the way of head, but then again it did come out of a growler. This is the beer's only minor flaw, if it even is one.

S - Absolutely heavenly. High-quality chocolate and coffee (I'm talking weasel crap quality), roastiness, oak, and just a touch of bourbon.

T - Amazingly balanced, yet very intense awesomeness liquified. Lots of chocolate and vanilla, a little bourbon, sweet caramel malt, roasted malt, and oak. Coffee is definitely less dominant than in regular Speedway, as I hear aging will do to coffee flavor. This is a good thing, even though I like a strong coffee presence in a stout. When I drank this, I think a light might have shone down from the heavens and angels might have sang, but I'm not 100% sure.

M - Incredibly smooth, full, and creamy on the palate. Very soft carbonation.

D - I know this is a barrel aged imperial stout, but I could drink it ALL NIGHT LONG! I couldn't imagine this beer really being any better unless they put weasel sh*t in it. (1,670 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

A: The pour is thick and black with a thin tan colored foam on top.

S: Such a lovely nose on this one. Milk chocolate dominates the nose with lots of roasted malt, vanilla, coffee and a slight bit of bourbon.

T: Much like the nose, the chocolate and vanilla are really the stars of the show. The coffee flavor is not as noticeable as in the regular Speedway, but I don't necessarily think the beer is hurt by this. A nice touch of bourbon and roasted malt as well.

M: The beer is full bodied, creamy, and very smooth with light carbonation.

D: A dangerously drinkable beer. This is easily one of the best barrel aged beers I've tried. Very smooth and not too heavy on the barrel character, but not "too light" either. (721 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -20.7%

Have been waiting to try this for quite some time now and thanks to the generosity of waltonc, I was finally able to partake in this rarity. Bottle #67/235 of the 2006 batch.

Pours midnight black with some wispy lacing and bubbles around the edges. Very little carbonation if any at all. The aroma is enticing, with dark chocolate coffee cake with a lactic sour barrel funkiness. Unfortunately the smell was much better than taste and mouthfeel.

I have to say it was not bad but pretty underwhelming and actually seemed a lesser beer than a regular speedway stout. A bit stronger coffee taste with bitter bakers chocolate with a ripe sour cherry finish. Not much barrel (makes me wonder what type of barrel they use in the aging) with moderate heat. It is not nearly as viscous as I would have liked and for this beer, it is borderline watery. Any carbonation would have helped this out significantly. Fairly easy to drink but again without carbonation and the sour funkiness to it, made it a bit difficult to finish my glass.

Overall it was an ok beer but was a pretty big letdown. I look forward to trying another BA Speedway to compare this with, but not sure I'll go out of my way for one. (1,198 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -51.4%

Had a 2006 bottle of this with JoeySchlitz last night. I was really looking forward to this and saved it for the holidays. Unfortunately, it may have been spoiled. The smell and taste had a sour spoiled milk quality to them that overrode everything else for me. I ended up having to pour this down the drain. It poured black with no head at all. Body was on the lighter side for a big barrel aged stout (but still fairly thick on an absolute scale). This was a disappointing and surprising brew, as I really enjoyed the barrel aged Numbskull and barrel aged 07 Decadence, so figured the BA Speedway would follow in the same vein. (629 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +4.7%

great brew the barrel aging really mellows this one out. Not much coffee coming through but really smooth,vanilla oak notes.Worth the effort and a great BDay treat. Chocolaty expresso greatness. Recommend if you're ever lucky enough to find one of these rare treats. Just enough coffee to accent the flavor just the way it should be..hided the alcohol content dangerously well.. (378 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

600th review!
2007 Vintage #290/447. Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip. Got from ummagum who got it directly from Alesmith. It came in the standard Speedway Stout bottle with pen markings on the side to identify it as the BA and bottle number. Was pitch black even against a strong light. Good carb streams in center from the etching. It had about a finger of brown foam that quickly dissipated into a collar and some wisps in center. No lacing but at 12%ABV you don't expect any.

The aroma was mostly mellow bourbon with some oaky vanilla and then just a bit of the base coffee. It's a bourbon show but it has mellowed as it aged so not overpowering. The tastes closely follows the aroma. Again, it's bourbon show with some oak and weak coffee highlights. The bourbon has mellowed so not overpowering. Has a slightly sweet finish. BA's are not my favorite style but this shows what a great BA can be. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with good carb tingle.

Overall, an excellent BA stout that highlights what good barrel aging can do. Dangerous drinkable at 12%. Most highly recommend if you want to try a top tier BA beer. I was at the brewery in October and they said it would probably be another 12-18 months before this comes out again so get to trading if you want one. Rotation - not avail in TX - got from a friend. Wouldn't mind trying this again with another 1 or 2 on it to see what happens...but since so rare this probably will be my only shot. (1,462 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Decided to crack this one as a Thanksgiving day treat. 2006 vintage, served at the recommended temperature of 50-60 degrees.

Pours pitch black with a very foamy finger of tan head that leaves bits and pieces of lacing behind.

Smell is very smooth bourbon on top of a coffee and earthy hop base. Deep notes of oak sting the senses, alcohol burn isn't huge but is definitely noticeable. Smells fairly sweet also. Pretty damn nice.

Taste is MUCH more coffee forward than I would have imagined. Now, I realize that the base beer is a coffee infused stout, but I thought the barrel complexities would overpower the coffee a bit more. Well, they definitely didn't which makes for a beer that is surprisingly deep, complex, and subtle without being too brash and in-your-face with booze. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of heat still there but compared to the only other BA Alesmith I have tried (07 Decadence) this is relatively tame. Background notes of oak, marshmallow, milk chocolate, a bourbon merely complement the huge roasted coffee grounds.

Mouthfeel is nearly full bodied with good carbonation levels, but I find this one to be a bit too dry. The bitter coffee beans just linger on the palate, which makes for an aftertaste that isn't as pleasant as the beer itself. Luckily the body helps make up for it.

I almost regret cracking this 750 because there is no way I am going to be able to finish it myself. Overall I thought the beer was very impressive but I wouldn't call it one of my favorites. Honestly, the dryness is the only thing really holding it back for me but unfortunately that has an impact on the taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability which is a large chunk of the score. Glad I got the chance to try it though. Back when I was in my coffee stout faze a while ago I would have probably given this a 4.8 or higher, but after having so many amazing beers over the last year it takes something really special for me to rate that highly nowadays. And I don't find this to have that specialness.

Nonetheless...still a fine, fine beer

EDIT: OK, here I am 4 hours later and it turns out I did finish the 750 all by myself. I originally rated the drinkability a 3.5, but boosted it up to a 4.5 because it is very rare for me to drink so much of this high of an ABV beer in one sitting. Perhaps I was forcing myself to drink every last drop because of the high cost. Or maybe it really is as good as they say. I think I'll take the middle ground. (2,464 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

The Vine in Ocean Beach CA, 5th anniversary. 5 gallon keg, reg speedway blended with mostly 08 barrel aged speedway drawn from the barrel. draft so perfect carb. color is similar to reg speedway but how can it be not perfect? dark rich head, cold it had a great mouthfeel and nice finish. as it warmed the nose just expanded giving debth of chocolate, wood, vanilla, with muted coffee showing how it slightly fades in time in barrel but with a touch of freshness from the blend. finish was endless, boozieness but with almost no warming just perfect balance, wood, chocolate milky with silky cashmere texture that is unmatched. zero sweetness just balance. easy to consume several 6oz $3 pours. Love the vine and the price for this amazing 1 off beer. And congrats to 5 years! (776 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this out of a bottle with three 2oz pours. Wish I could say I had more, but with a limited amount for everyone at the South Bay tasting, you have to pick your battles and I'm very, very thankful to have had the chance at this. Who knows if I'll have it again?

2007 bottle.

Appearance: Dark black, much like normal Speedway, really, with decent carbonation and clinging lace. Really not too much here to differentiate between the original and the BA.

Smell: Solid bourbon barrel character comes through with the coffee acting more as a backbone than a full-frontal character. Oaky vanilla, slight chocolate, and mild sweetness. Very solid barrel-aged stout, and simply smells like a bourbon Speedway, but it works as a companion, not a separate entity.

Taste: Bourbon is certainly present, but not overwhelming. Much less than BCS, Angel's Share, and such, but still upfront and present. Coffee, chocolate, sweet maltiness, vanilla, and oak finish it out. Very solid, but it lacks just that little extra "wow" for me that 5s bring. Still, excellent, through and through.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, carbonated just right, and finishes--much like its non-barrel counterpart--with little alcoholic evidence. Smooth and delicious.

Drinkability: Tastes a bit more of the part of a 12% thanks to the bourbon, but just a great mixture of two styles. It feels like a baby Black Tuesday though is what kept running through my head, and it kept nagging me every sip I had that, while I really liked this beer, Black Tuesday does everything it did and just a hint more. Still, a very worthy member of the all-world stouts, and makes a great base beer a great barrel-aged beer. Highly recommended. (1,687 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

2006 Vintage 750ml gold foil / standard label (so its from the second release of the 2006 vintage) poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Inky black goodness with a tiny brown cream head that shows little retention but leaves some swirls of lace behind.

Smell: Loads of beautiful bourbon sweetness meets oak, vanilla and roast malt. Smells more sweet than boozy. Pungent but well refined. I'm not getting as much coffee as other reviewers have mentioned.

Taste: My first sip provides an initial wave of sweet oak that opens up into dark roasted malt, a touch of dark fruits...plum and prune mainly and finishes with a refined bourbon twang.

Mouthfeel: Fairly creamy and on the thick side of medium bodied. Not too much carbonation but this brew doesn't need it.

Drinkability: For a 12% abv brew I'm finding little heat, little booze, a good mouthfeel, and a good flavor profile.

Sweet Brew! (893 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -13.7%

Thanks to RoyMunson for sharing this bottle. 750ml brown bottle poured into a snifter. Notes. '06 bottle.

A: Pitch black, medium viscosity. Some head and a bit of lacing.

S: Some barrel and old coffee. Roasted malts.

T/M: More of the barrel and some bourbon, some vanilla. Roasty, stale coffee. Things don't really meld too great. Body is medium full with mellow carbonation. Somewhat dry.

D: Solid but not earhty shattering. I prefer the other 2 BA'ed brews. (463 characters)

2007 release

Appearance: A bit flat, typical IRS with some ruby/brown added to the motor oil black.

Smell: Bourbon, coffee, prune, toasted malt.

Taste: Similar to the aroma, Bourbon, molasses (sweet, not blackstrap), cream & sugar, coffee, vanilla, oak, chocolate, toffee, fudge, oats, prunes, toasted malt, etc. Very good IRS, reminds me a big of the bell's blend (my personal favorite). I wish it had spent a bit more time in the barrel. It is a touch on the sweet side.

Mouthfeel: Full and big, without being huge. Didn't realize it was 12%, you don't notice the alcohol at all.

Drinkability: Good for an IRS, I couldn't resist opening it when cold weather set in. (672 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +5.4%

Tasted at Cleveland tasting on 8-23-08. Thanks!! We had a verical of 03, 04, and 06.

03: Pours pitch black with no head or carbonation. Has a nice aroma of vanilla, roasted chocolate malt, and coffee. Has a medium mouthfeel. Taste is bourbon, malt, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and it all melds together in a nice smooth chocolate bourbon finish. Overall a world class brew.

04: Everything above, but with carbonation and a thin tan head. This made my experience a little better with this brew.

06: Everything above and has more alcohol aroma and flavor to it.

Overall, all three beers taste exactly the same. The only difference in my mind is that the 03 had no carbonation, the 04 was carbonated, and the 06 had more alcohol in the aroma and taste with even more carbonation. The lesson here is don't let these go too long or you won't be drinking a carbonated world class brew versus a flat one. (901 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -12.2%

I consider this to be my cellar's crown jewel, and I want to thank Nobama, who, in spite of questionable politics, gave me the biggest trade I have ever done on here, including this 2006 vintage BA Speedway. This is one of a few remaining beers that I have to try from the top 100. Speedway Stout is easily in the top five I have ever had. Barrel Aging, with the exception of Blackout Stout (IMO) has never done anything but make a great beer incredible. Let's see how we do here.

Look, off the bat, is quite a tough one. Judged against imperial stouts, this would score a bit lower, but considering the aging and barrel life, this one gets a tiny curve. Think layer of mocha head that is hanging around quite a bit. Liquid is black with some highlights when held up to light. Lacing is minimal.

Nose is actually relatively light on the barrel as I pick up more dark fruit scent. Unfortunately that is about all I can pick up. It's a good, if slightly oddly unrefined. Chocolate is way in the background. The barrel actually seems to upset what was a perfect balance.

Mouth is going to be tough..this is where Speedway excelled and, really, was probably the best imperial stout I had ever had. So far, the barrel has actually caused some issues with that formula, but traditionally, this is where the bourbon comes in best. The good news is that this isn't too hot and there is certainly some Speedway in there. The coffee has left the building, but the dark fruit and chocolate are hanging around. Truth be told, while this is great, I still prefer the regular Speedway stout.

Mouth is the high point of this brew, it is a relatively thick beast with relatively low carbonation.

Overall, I wouldn't go too far out of your way to get this one. There are better BA beers on the market, and it's little brother, IMO, is a better all around beer. (1,851 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

750ml vintage 2006 bottle into goblet at the Bullfrog Liquid Sunshine Reserva release. Many thanks to Kramer17801 for breaking one of my most wanted beers out!

A - Poured an opaque pitch black body with one-finger tan head that receded to a patchy film and deposited some decent lacing around the glass. Virtually no carbonation is noticeable.

S - Apparent bourbon and vanilla notes up front with a candy bar-esque chocolate character and crispy malt. Some oaky notes also creep into the mix.

T - Mmmm... like a bourbon-infused chocolate candy bar with crispy, rice-like malt, caramel and toffee notes and just a touch of alcohol heat in the finish.

M - Medium body with an incredibly smooth mouthfeel with only a hint of carbonation. Mild astringency with moderate bitterness on the palate, as well as subtle alcohol warmth.

D - Wow! Amazing bourbon barrel aged stout that's - dare I say it? - even better than the original. (932 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -5.9%

2006 vintage.

Thanks to Carlos for this one.

I poured this beer with some heavy vigor but still only achieved one finger of carmel colored head that fades in minutes leaving a quarter inch of solid lace. Body is used motor oil blackness and just as thick. Nose has a black charred bourbon character and some carmel, coffee, smoke with a bit of an alcohol sting. Enters the mouth with a slight twang that has a bit of a dark fruit sour feel, but only slight. Then a nice bitter richness becomes evident with distinct bourbon laced all throughout. Bold bitter thickness really hangs on to the back of the tongue. This same thickness makes up the mouthfeel with some bitter dry twang. I have mentioned sour a few times but this is only a subtle sour. And I am not sure that is what is intended. This one really needs to be drank at room temperature. Drinkability is excellent as a all night sipper. (897 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +6.8%

Wow what a fantastic beer brought out by Dyan at our Graduation tasting! Many, many thanks!

Vintage 2007.

A: Pours a nice dark black with noticeable brown hues. Yields a nice head, but the head was very light colored. The lightest colored head for an Imperial Stout I have seen, as it was a light tan/khaki color. That was the really only downfall in the appearance.

S: Wow. Incredible scents of sweet bourbon, dark roasted barley, dark chocolate, and a nice oak scent. If you love bourbon, this is the beer for you. The bourbon scent comes right to the forefront.

T: Again, the warming, sweet bourbon is fantastic. I like my barrel aged beers to blend the bourbon without it being too harsh, and this does just that. Great dark bitter roast and sweet caramel.

Overall, this is a great, great stout. One of the best in its class. Thanks Dyan!

Update:

2003 Vintage. One of the best beers I ever had. Top 3 beers for sure. So rich, creamy, and perfect sweet bourbon. It is mostly flat, but it actually complements the beer and coats the palate.

The 2003 is: 4.5/5/5/5/5 (1,075 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.4%

Barrel aged 2007, 750mL bottle with gold foil, double waxed seal, standard silk skreen label, bottle number 321 of 447. Thanks to HopHead84 for this one, big time.

Into a chalice, pours a thick, syrupy thickness of pitch black, some nice fizzy, then eventually smooth, tan head that lasted for several minutes. Not much lacing, eventually the head evaporates and you have yourself a light trap, total darkness.

The aroma started off a tad odd, some cardboard to it, but as it warmed the vanillas and oaks, that classic bourbon feeling came one strong. The stock coffee and roasted malts form the base beer are still there, just massively overwhelmed by the bourbon. In my opinion, this detracts slightly from the exceptional base impy stout, but hey, that's just me. Taste is similarly dominated by the bourbon, oaks and vanilla, but some of the coffee remains, some roasted malt, some figs and fruits and stuff, its there, just pummeled by the boubon.

Mouth is smooth, warm and thick, initially nicely carbonate, but a bit flat as it warms. From the reviews I just read, it seems the earlier BB versions fared better, wish I couldn't have them, but as for this version, too much bourbon for me... and I like my bourbon in my big stouts! But it has just been too much and too overpowering for what I know to be a superior base impy stout, that I just can't forgive the crushing of favorite parts. That said, delicious beer, wish I had another dozen sitting in my cellar. (1,473 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -9.2%

Bottle 295/441 Thanks UncleJedi!

Pours black with beautiful red highlights. The head quickly dissipates. Smells only of bourbon and alcohol. First sip is roasted malts, prunes, oak, vanilla, licorice and a ton of alcohol. There is plenty of yummy bitterness as it is sweet for only a moment. Part of a massive 2 day Stout tasting. On my bracket BA Speedway lost to Older Viscosity in the second round. (402 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -0.5%

2007 Vintage, Bottle #295. Good call on this one, UncleJedi. You have chosen... wisely.

Appearance: Pours a turbid, dark brown, near black body with a thin, short-lived, tan head.

Smell: A very full, all-encompassing bourbon barrel presence on the nose -- large notes of oak wood and full-on bourbon with lighter notes of vanilla and coconut shavings. Pair this up with a malt aroma replete with plenty of chocolate and roast and you have something worth smelling.

Taste: Cup of Sumatra Dark Roast 'Black Satin' Coffee stirred up with aged oak and light touches of vanilla and coconut and garnished with a few chocolate-covered coffee beans. Fleeting plum fruitiness. Some fire-roasted marshmallows. A pinch of Black Cavendish Tobacco. Medium roast bitterness. Plenty of alcohol to be found, but, thankfully, it's not glaring. Warming, roasty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Yes! This is going to be a pleasure to finish off, I can tell. It's so darned yummy, I just had to tell the world! (1,033 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -11.5%

Thanks to jonathanL for breaking this out tonight. I feel really privileage since I was wanting to try this for a very long time and I know the effort that went in to securing this bottle.
Its a 2006 BA speedway.

A - Pours a nice deeply black with little light penetrating the thickness of it.

S- It has some bourbon on the front end with big dark fruit prunes especially.

T - Once the bourbon clears you get coffee then chocolate with a very smooth silky finish.

Drinkability is very easy on this. The other guys were saying they may still prefer the regular speedway over the BA version. I like both versions and would but this everyday if it were available to me. (672 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -3.6%

Shared #96 of 233 with brdc and stoutsnipas, much thanks to brdc for sharing.

Poured from a bottle into a tulip, it pours an almost black with a deep tan head. Initial head was a 1/2-1 inch and quickly resides to a mild lacing.

The smell was reasonably good. It definitely had more of the oak and vannilla notes when compared to regular alesmith. The other dark chocolate and coffee notes are also present but not overwhelmingly high on coffee. Some bourbon notes are also present.

The taste was fairly good. It starts a bit heavy on the oak/vanilla combination and very mild bourbon. It them seems to hit more dark chocolate and coffee notes. There is a nice sourness that also aids in hiding the alcohol.

This is a full-bodied beer that sits on the palate fairly well without being overwhelming. It is quite smooth and not so creamy or sticky that it is hard to drink. Adequate carbonation.

This beer is a very good beer. It is interesting comparing with regular Alesmith, which I think is somewhat better. However, given the unique and limited number of this beer, it is certainly worth getting your hands on one, if you can. Very well hidden alcohol. Again, much thanks to brdc for sharing. (1,199 characters)

A million thanks go to Derek hoppymeal for this amazing gift. 2006 bottling, #96/233.
Compared with a bottle aged, presumed 2006 version.

Poured into a snifter, pitch black except for a very slight reddish edge. The tan head here is significantly smaller, poor retention, some lacing.
Aroma here is dominated by the oak notes, vanilla, bourbon. Coffee, roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate, and molasses complete it; more complex, less pleasant (but still nice).
Full bodied but interestingly does not feel as creamy on the palate. Flavor is also dominated by the oak notes, vanilla, bourbon, but also roasted malts, baker's chocolate, molasses.
This is a very good beer, but IMHO, as it gains complexity, it loses some of the most pleasant aspects. It is certainly worthwhile, but I honestly prefer the original version. (826 characters)

AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged from AleSmith Brewing Company