Join our email list →

AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel AgedAleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged

Wants: 2,025
AleSmith Brewing Company
California, United States | website

American Double / Imperial Stout | 12.00% ABV

Beer added by: beerguy101 on 01-01-2004

Reviews: 324 | Hads: 1,866

One of my favorite coffee stouts plus barrel aging makes this a top notch brew. Pours black as night and the mouthfeel is chewy. Perfect marriage of bourbon, oak, coffee, and a perfect chocolate sweetness.

The 2004 Barrel-Aged of an already awesome favorite...couldn't wait any longer, someone had to open one! Bottle # 68 of 228.

From the new labeled, 750ml. green champagne bottle pours a pitch black (almost brown) that let's no light through my tulip glass. A 1/2 inch of cocoa-brown cap sits on top. Mild carbonation and a little sticky lace as you go...nice. Although it's been classified as an American Double Stout previously, it is very Imperial Stout like as well, thus the RIS listing here.

The smell is of dark black roast coffee, chocolate, black licorice and alcohol, and it smells even better as it warms. This stuff smells tantilizing, correct me if I'm wrong.

Amazing flavor, after I have a sip, my tastebuds start to water, I'm not kidding! The entry is sweet (not too mention alcoholic) and strong with coffee, black licorice, bitter-sweet chocolate and liquer. Full of intense flavor that intertwine beautifully into a toxic, elixor of bliss. It is a definitely a notch + above the Speedway as I Know it...it's f-in tasty!

The mouthfeel is smooth and alcoholicly warm, the body is only medium-heavy, not as thick and chewy as I was thinking, the flavor is truly exceptional...absolutely exceptional too me.

Great to drink right now...can't wait to see how this one matures.
Awesome stuff, Cheers to the fortunate few (and everone else of coarse) !!!

Had this on tap at the AleSmith brewery - they had multiple variations (Vietnamese Coffee, etc.) and I have had this in the bottle and I can say without a doubt this is one of the two best beers on the planet - and that is a guarantee my friend.
The other best beer in the world would be Parabola by Firestone Walker.
This beer is pure flippin Bliss from start to finish. It is thick, rich, complex, smells fantastic, tastes fantastic, pours fantastic, smooth and just nothing at all bad that can be said about it at all...and I mean absolutely nothing!!!
Unfortunately for all of us, it is in extremely limited supply. Finding a bottle will be difficult. I would suggest doing whatever you can to get one (yes even if it costs $100...it is seriously worth it) If you do find one, I'm not sure you want to share even a drop of it...yeah it's that good. On the other hand, other people have got to experience this so you almost need close friends to taste it so you can forever brag about you giving them a sip of it....but really it's tough because you want to drink it all yourself.
I leave the decision up to you.
I drank every drop of mine...and told my buddies where they could get it that day...it was gone the next day...too bad for them!!!

2008 version poured at the April Portland BA Tasting at BeerMongers thanks to Luke.

Seriously, this was the best imperial stout I've ever had. The mouthfeel was the real high point, and I wish there was a way to rate it a 6. This beer is milk smooth. Unbelievable. The bourbon was present but not overwhelming, the coffee was still available if you really taste closely, and the vanilla flavors from the barrel were perfect. A one shot that won't be found again. Epic.

Vintage '03. Thanks Nick!

Pours an oily black with a thick espresso head. Excellent lace and retention.

Nose has freah roated coffee, bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark pitted fruits, chocolate, dark candies, big malts and molasses.

Beautiful blend of espresso, wood, whiskey, vanilla, plums, figs, dates, roasty malts, cocoa, caramel and toffee.

Thick, creamy body is perfectly carbonated. Perhaps a bit past age, but still a lovely beer. Peaks closer to 5 years.

Bottled 10/30/13

A: Mocha tan head formed and quickly receded into the beer, leaving behind a ring of dense head on the edge and a dusting on top. The beer is nearly opaque black but on further examination there is some brownish hues that shine through with good clarity. longer sustaining legs kick up when swirled.

S: Big, distinct aroma leaps out of the glass at serving temperature. Sweet caramel, maple syrup, bourbon, tobacco, vanilla and raisins that have been burnt to the bottom of the pan. Vanilla oak aroma comes through very natural with more forward sweet bourbon. Cold coffee is restrained, but a sweet milk chocolate and mild roast character come through.

T: Very natural assimilation of beer and barrel - The (not overly) sweet caramel, toffee flavor in the beginning blends seemlessly to a vanilla and coconut oaky flavor that seems so part of the beer I can’t imagine it with out it. The dark chocolate and cocoa flavors that come next provide a mild roasty-ness giving the impression of bitterness (along with the barrel tannins) that - again go very natural with the overall flavor of the beer. The beer finishes out with a tobacco and bourbon sweetness that rests on your tongue minutes after your last sip - making you remember how good the previous one was. The balance is perfectly between the barrel and the dark and caramel malts. The beer is on the sweeter side but in a very pleasant way.

M: Moderate alcohol warming in the chest with a numbing sensation in the cheeks from the bourbon. A full body with medium-low carbonation and a slight creaminess. A sticky sensation rests on the tongue like after having a mouth full of maple syrup.

O: One of those beers you’ll remember long after the bottle is empty. I’m glad to have been lucky enough to have tried this amazing beer. This is a great example of a beer that was designed from the beginning to with the end product in mind. I’ve had many BA stouts where the brewery just through it in a barrel and it just didn’t blend well with the ingredients - this is not that beer. Get this beer if you can. Cheers!

Pours black with a small brown head.

Smell: Smells of dark coffee roast and bourbon (if you are one of those beersnobs that seek out BA beers, but complain that it smells and taste of too much bourbon, dont drink this, and better yet, why are you seeking out BA beers, I see this too often)

Taste: Bourbon and coffee, slight butterscotch and vanilla, then roast and bourbon again. I have a lot of Favorite tasting beers, but this one takes the cake on my favorite beer when it comes to the bourbon characteristics in it.

Mouthfeel: full bodied velvety greatness

Overall: This is a perfect imperial coffee stout aged in bourbon barrels. Perfect in every catagory.

What a great beer. Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Dark with mocha head on it. Lingers for a while and went down slow. Just as fast as I drank it, and I took my time.

S: Coffee, oaky, bitter, chocolate, mocha, liqour, cigar, charcoal

T: Smooth with hints of dark chocolate and woody

M: smooth, a bit milky, silky and something to savor as it went down.

NOTES: This was a huge treat. So glad I had to try this one.

Bottle #32/228
Started off with the regular Speedway, it had been a long while since I had it, wanted to compare the 2. Regular Speedway was better than I remembered, my palate has grown to favor Imperial Stouts. Now on to the BA Speedway

Pours pretty much the same as regular, but smell is not the same. Has dark ripe fruits in the smell, as well as the expected coffee and chocolate, mild alchohol. Very nice smell, couldn't wait to get the first taste.

Holy crap! This is the smoothest beer I have ever had! Goes down like silk, very little alchohol flavor, but the warming effect is there. I am not one to give great details on flavors, I am still learning to pick out the different ones, so I can't do this beer justice in my description. Very mild bourbon flavor, coffee, chocolate, but very different from the regular Speedway. 100% smoother, and the regular Speedway is pretty damn smooth. I have not rated a ton of beers, but I have had over 600 different beers, and I think this is #1!

This gets a "5" from me. I don't see how to improve on this. I can't wait to age my other bottle and try again in a couple of years. To all who have this beer, ENJOY! To all searching for it, GOOD LUCK

4.99/5  rDev +11.6%

2012 vintage opened in 2016. Poured into a sniftered. Never drank a fresh BASS but wow this beer. Tons of vanilla and a graceful bourbon back end. All around a beautiful beer. Can't wait to try a fresh one to compare.

4.98/5  rDev +11.4%

The difference between a West Coast bourbon barrel and midwest to East coast is generally significant. The Westies get dried out barrels that impart a lot of oak but not a lot of booze.

This is the exception to the rule.

A perfect mix of booze notes and oak are laid into this great stout.

This stout without the BB is good. It is now awesome!

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

A-Body is big, thick and opaque black. Pours with a 1-2 finger creamy dark tan head. Head fades eventually to a thick collar but plenty of lacing sticks all the way down the glass.

S- Exceptional. A delicate balance between bourbon BA characteristics and IRS characteristics. Very complex and slightly sweet-of moderate strength. Vanilla, oak, a slight hint of bourbon sweetness, dark chocolate, anise, dark fruit. Just wonderful.

T-Flavor is just as good as the nose but adds a slight roasted malt component to it. Upfront is a lot of IRS characteristics-dark fruit, anise, licorice, dark chocolate-and offers a bit of vanilla and bourbon sweetness and the slightest hint of oak in the background. A hint of roasted malt comes through for the finish to create an equal balance to the slightly sweet initial flavor. Some remnants of the initial flavor linger as well as a slight roasted malt bitterness.

M- Low to medium carbonation and a body that is thick, viscous, and exceptionally smooth and creamy.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours an oily black with no apparent carbonation. Fully opaque. A little swirling the snifter kicks up a few bubbles, then goes back to still blackness. Aroma is sweet, and quite fruity; Dark fruits, that is. Just a little coffee on the nose, with cherry and plum/prune. Just a little wood and bourbon aroma. The flavor is pretty huge on this one, way bigger and more complex than the regular Speedway. Very tarry, lots of cigar smoke, leather, booze is alive and present. Huge espresso is present, with dark chocolate. Sweet, but not an all-out sugar assault. Again, there is dark, smoky tar throughout. Extremely chewy. Only faintly bitter. If you swish it around in your mouth, you get some more carbonation, as you can almost feel the cavities developing in your teeth. I'm glad I got to try this. Definitely not a session beer (Of course if you're reading this, you likely already knew that. I mean, like anybody other than the CEO of Alesmith would have the means to session this anyway.), but very soulful for just a glass now and then. Overall, excellent

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

2007 edition, bottle #280 of 447. Shared by Grant with some of the usual suspects- thanks very much for the opportunity, Grant! This is an exquisite beer. The barrel aging rounds out the flavors, adds a touch of creaminess, and some nice counterbalancing flavors as well as some nice drying notes from the wood. Pours a very dark brown with a relatively thin swirly head. Amazing nose, with wonderful Bourbon notes that complement the stout rather than overwhelming it. Sweet and creamy with deep notes of roastiness and nicely merged coffee and bourbon. The taste showcases a perfect marriage of drying woody notes, a touch of coconut, sweet rich bourbon finish, and nice creamy roastiness. Super creamy in the mouth and just ridiculously easy to suck down, especially given the very high abv. A very nice example of where barrel aging enhances rather than overwhelms a beer. Superb.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

HUGE thanks to Kevin for sharing this growler with us!

D- This is one of the best stouts I have ever had. The BA components compliment the stout characteristics very well and this is worlds better than regular speedway-seem like 2 completely different beers. The flavors are really big here but it is not nearly as aggressive as regular speedway. Great to try the 2 side by side!

4.95/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured pitch black with a nice tan head and beautiful lacing. Aroma of chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, tobacco, bourbon and oak. Chocolate and coffee taste followed by a warming bourbon flavor and a full mouthfeel. My all time favorite stout!

Wake up at 7:30 am, on the grounds of the beautiful Ommegang brewery. As the rain begins to fall, I see some good friends, looking like they need a good beer. So I open up my 2004 bottle # 14. The rain begins to come down harder, so I put the bottle under the shade of my open trunk. Our glasses our filled with care, and we enjoy, as the rain droplets fell into the open glassware, and onto our heads. The right beer at the right time, I love this shit!

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

2006 Vintage bottle 62 of 233 . Consumed on 07/07/2008.

Had the pleasure of having this one last night. I had been waiting forever to get to try this and finally was bale to score. Immediately chilled this one and decided to break it out last night after having had the numbskull the night before. I had really enjoyed both of the other two BA Alesmith releases so far, and was hoping this would be the icing on the cake so to speak, and I have to admit I was anything but disappointed. Served at fifty degrees and decanted into a Snifter over the course of the evening.

Appearance - The pour on this one was just about as I would have expected, and just spot on. A rich, deep, dark as night colored liquid came gurgling out of the bottle immediately. Rich and thick in appearance it left no light inside of it whatsoever. Very nice one finger thick layer of chocolate colored foam, which had a nice tendency to stick around for a good long while. Really nice side glass lace thoroughly coated the inside of the glass throughout.

Smell - The aroma was perfect. Huge smell of coffee coming off of this one from the moment on opened the bottle, but I have to admit, it was more then that. It was enormously rich, with touches of oak and vanilla, hints of sweet milk chocolate and a touch of alcohol. This was definitely a big beer and actually very sweet. I was loving every minute of this one so far.

Taste - The flavor was just as heavenly as the aroma. Rich coffee notes just rolling out across the tongue, immediately coating everything that they touch. Sweet coffee flavor, with nice touches of oak riddle throughout. The barrel aging here took on more of a highlighting effect then n overpowering note. Subtle touches of light chocolate coming through towards the end as well. Wonderfully complex and rich, this was simply heavenly. Long lasting flavor of coffee, with oaky highlights, playfully dancing hints of vanilla just lingering for what seemed to be forever. I was really impressed here.

Mouthfeel - This was not as huge and thick and creamy as some of the other stouts, however it was masterfully done. Definitely full bodied, every sip of this was like a little slice of dessert. Really great bit of beer here, with a thick coating feel to it and a really nice carbonation profile.

Drinkability - I could have sipped on this one for days. There was no hint really of the alcohol to the extent you would have expected given the strength. A very solid sipper that I had a wonderful time with and would gladly throw down another any day of the week.

Overall would have to say this one was beyond excellent. A truly wonderful beer that I really could not get enough of. I would love to have this any day of the week, and I really think that hype to the level things get is not always deserved. But I have to admit, this was really damn good!

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to Reed415 for the generous sharing of this tasty beverage. Poured into snifter...06' Vintage.

A--Opaque, good lacing.

S--Bourbon, vanilla, complex, nice.

T--Wow, seriously? This beer completely kicks ass taste wise. Vanilla, and hints of coffee and plenty of bourbon in the finish.

M--Smooth, silky, great mouthfeel.

D--Well, lets face it, impossible beer to get, so enjoy it when you get it. This beer is AWESOME. My god, more please.

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

2008 Biergotter Tasting, Day 2: Stouts and Belgians. big thanks to DrJay for sharing this one.

750ml bottle topped with gold foil. 2006 vintage, bottle #107/233. sampled nov 28/08.

pours opaque black with a medium sized dense brown head. the head drops fairly fast but leaves lots of lace behind.

aroma is awesome. holy shit does this smell good. bourbon. vanilla. coffee. dark chocolate. caramel. whole wheat bread. biscuit. cracker. some dark fruit. the caramel component seems to get bigger as it warms too.

wow. taste is excellent. i love speedway and this is just a decadent slice above. coffee. dark and milk chocolate. bourbon. vanilla. oak. big bread and biscuit malt. some dark fruit. caramel. toffee. there's just so much depth to it, so many layers to uncover that it's tough to capture it all.

mouthfeel is excellent too. silky smooth medium-low carbonation level. medium-large body.

drinkability is awesome. i've heard from several sources that the barrel-aged version was "underwhelming", not as good as they expected, and just didn't measure up to the regular speedway. i couldn't disagree more. this shit is awesome. the rough edges from the speedway are gone, just silky smooth, well balanced, and just plain great. i really loved this one. we were trying to wring every last drop out of the bottle and wishing there was more. definitely the highlight of the night. great stuff - must find more!

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

2008 Biergotter Tasting - Day 2. 2006 - bottle 107/233. Big thanks to mikesgroove for hooking me up with this one!
Black with faint brown edges. Thin, dark tan cap of very fine bubbles. Lots of very sticky lace. Looks great. The barrel aging really worked well with the base beer, and Speedway's no slouch on its own. Aromas of vanilla, woody oak, bourbon and booze, melded with the toffee and caramel, coffee and dark chocolate, and mild fruit character. Just a bit buttery as it warmed. Great balance in the flavour too. Plenty of roasted malts, coffee, oak, toffee and chocolate. Bitterness and hop flavour had faded somewhat, but were still present. Mild alcohol and light vanilla. Extremely smooth in texture with very fine carbonation, a bit on the low side. Full bodied, but seemed just a little thinner than I remember Speedway being. Truly an elegant beer. Delicious and wonderfully balanced. One of the high points of barrel aged beer, at least for me.

4.91/5  rDev +9.8%

I was fortunate enough to take a half-day on Thursday and get down to Alesmith to try and purchase a growler of this wonderful stuff. Can life get better? I submit that it cannot.

A: Poured motor-oil thick and black into my Bruery tulip glass. What was disappointing was the lack of head and lacing, but I can contribute some of that to the growler. A few quick swirls develop a head, but the retention was mild at best.

S: Sweet bourbon and caramel off the bat with hints of sticky molasses, vanilla, cocoa and coffee towards the backend. The barrel is strong, but enhances all the other smells instead of overpowering them.

T: The first sip (impression) is a combination of complex flavors that almost makes my palate quiver. Coffee, vanilla, wood, and caramel seem to be the first wave of flavors I pick up. Tons of molasses, bitter-burnt chocolate, and residual sugar are next in line and make up most of the middle. The coffee, which seems subdued for most of the sip, seems to really come through towards the finish.

M: Creamy, full-bodied, and quite sticky at times. The finish is slightly dry, which may be due to the high attenuation this beer experienced and/or coffee.

D: Extremely drinkable; no alcohol bite at all and flavor profile is among the best I've ever tried.

Overall: Vastly different/better than the bottled version I tried a few years back. The complexities that the barrel imparted on this year's Speedway were amazing, to say the least. I can't think of another beer that used the barrel aging process as well as this. I must try. Cheers!

4.91/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from fridge temp to Alesmith snifter. Look is incredible. Good carbonation with about 1cm of tan head. Smell is out of this world. Lots of bourbon, coffee, chocolate, licorice, and vanilla. Taste follows the nose nicely. The coffee is incredible. The licorice seems strong, which is fantastic. Marshmallow, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, and blackberries. The feel is very creamy - not thin at all. This is absolutely amazing. Overall, one of the best BA stouts I have tried.

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer pours like black tar. It looks very thick. It has a thin brown head. The head fades slowly, leaving many very thick laces.

This beer smells of Bourbon. But only subtly, not overwhelmingly. This beer also has a pretty strong coffee aroma. Some chocolate mixes in also. It has a slight oak aroma also.

Wow. This beer tastes great. It tastes on Bourbon, but not overly. It is subtle. It also has the characteristics of the regular Speedway Stout. Coffee and chocolate upfront.

This beer is incredably smooth. It leaves a slight Bourbon aftertaste. It also warms slightly as it goes down. This beer is very low in carbonation, due to being aged for a few years.

I doubt this would make a good session beer due to the alcohol content. However, other than that, it is very easy to drink. Surprisingly so.

Overall: Bottle 93 of 228. Good job AleSmith. This beer is awesome. I was out of town when this beer was released. Thank you very much abizzles for so generously hooking me up. I owe you dude.

4.89/5  rDev +9.4%

My most anticipated beer of the 2009 PSU Graduation Celebration. Big thanks to Dyan for a chance at this one. Without question one of my most wanted beers.

2007 Vintage bottle 412 of 447.

A-Deep black/brown with a never reducing thin tan head that left a surprising amount of streaky lace.

S-Musty oak and bourbon notes reside underneath decadent dark chocolate, rich, fresh tilled earth and espresso bitterness. Extremely rich and complex.

T-Rich, dark chocolate with lighter accenting bourbon notes in support. Dark, sour cherries, espresso and oak reside in the drying finish. Immensely complex and Oh! so tasty!

M-Medium bodied, amazingly smooth with long lingering flavours and a bitter kick accompanying the oak dryness.

D-Really--is this a question? I love regular Speedway and this is that taken to another level--BIG TIME! Simply an outstanding barrel aged brew. I wish it wasn't so damn rare and limited. I would be happy to drink this anytime.

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

2006 bottle via pantanap. Four years old and fan-freakin-tastic!!!! Glorious coffee and chocolate aromas leaching out of the black brew. The flavors are so well proportioned with mellow bourbon, oak, chocolate, coffee, and vanilla swirling around in a delicious masterpiece...

AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged from AleSmith Brewing Company