AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel AgedAleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged

Wants: 1,934
AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: beerguy101 on 01-01-2004

Ratings: 1,610 | Reviews: 297
4.37/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this gem.

2007 vintage. Bottle number 205 of 447. This was sampled side-by-side with a regular Speedway Stout. The beer pours dark brown to black with a brown head. The aroma is bourbon, oak, vanilla, roasted malt, chocolate and alcohol. The flavor is awesome. I get bourbon, oak, semi-sweet chocolate, brown sugar and vanilla. The oak and tannic notes are very tart or bitter, giving the beer an almost sour quality. The coffee has completely faded. Medium-thick mouthfeel and low-medium carbonation. Not sure which I liked the best out of this and the non barrel-aged version because they are both awesome. Very happy I got to try this.

4.25/5  rDev -6%

Thanks again Brad, long time want.

2007 vintage bottle #212. Poured into a tulip. Beer is black with a thin brown head that breaks and clings to the glass. Some (very little) lacing left on the glass and the carbonation is apparently low.

There is a woody / liquor sweet aroma to this beer. Smells great. Not a lot of alcohol but some sweetness and a hint of roasted malt.

Beer is really really smooth. Medium to full bodied, sweetness up front with an ever so slight amount of heat behind it. Oddly there is almost a late tartness to this beer. Its not lactic or acetic, the beer isn't going bad but there is a strong almost tannic character to the whole beer. I suppose this the result of the wood aging process. It is unexpected but does not interrupt the flow of the flavors in the mouth. Bitterness at the back is low but good. Overall a really good beer. I'd still like to do the side-by-side with the regular.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks to Brad for sharing this at his tasting on Saturday!

2007 vintage. Bottle 212/447

This beer pours a rich, deep black with a dark tan head. Plenty of carbonation left in this gem. This aroma is not subtle. Bourbon and rich roasted malt, with a slight alcohol note emit huge scents I can detect from a few feet away. The beer is absolutely fabulous. Although it is very strong and forward, it drinks very smoothly. It definitely has some heat to it, but it only serves to add a little warmth in the finish. Alesmith Speedway Stout is a terrific beer, so it makes sense that barrel aging such a tasty stout would result in this masterpiece. What a treat.

3.75/5  rDev -17%

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2007 vintage. Received in a trade from Jw347. Thanks John!

A: Pours a nearly pitch black body with a billowy dark mocha head; it retains well and leaves a substantial collar on the brew. Quite nice for a beer of this style and gravity.

S: Great aroma. Lots of chocolate, toasted marshmallow, vanilla, bourbon, caramel. I pick up hints of sherry-like oxidation, coffee, oak, and earth.

T: I let it warm to have the full flavor come out. It's incredibly complex, but the oxidation dominates this beer, too much for my tastes. It introduces a light tartness, sherry / wine, and salty soy. Those aren't deal-breakers in barrel-aged beers anymore, but they have an optimal concentration, and this beer exceeds that. Still, the rest of the flavor isn't irredeemable: it's chocolatey, coffee-driven, and earthy. It has a nice caramelly bourbon to it, and I pick up toasted oak in the finish.

M: Full in flavor, medium in viscosity. Good carbonation. No heat.

D: It comes together a lot better as it warms, but I am never in love with it. I'm glad I had it, as I was very curious about this one, but I'm not breaking the cellar for it in the future. The fresher one out of a growler was more to my liking.

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%

A - Very black, tan head, good retention with a bit of lacing. Looks like a good stout should.

S - Very sweet smelling, lots of vanilla, chocolate, and a nice sweet bourbon smell that doesn't seem like it is going to be too hot. Seems to be one of the sweeter big stouts I've smelled, but not sugary sweet, more of a very rich, deep sweetness.

T - I've had most of the top imperial stouts, and this one holds it's own with the best in the taste department. Lot of chocolate with vanilla notes, very sweet and smooth. It's definately boozy, but not sharply so. You feel the heat on this one, but it's a decent compliment to the sweetness. I thought the regular version of Speedway stout was solid, but not as good as it seems to rate, but the barrel-aged version is just ridiculously good tasting.

M - Thick, with a bit of stick to it, decent amount of carbonation, a bit low, although this was a 2004 bottle.

D - Runs a tad hot, but still definately above average all things considered in the drinkability department.

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Big thanks to 0110x011 many moons ago when he sent this tasty treat. I've been sitting on it for quite some time but what better time to break it out than for losing a bet with Scoobydank. Drank from a specialty Sam Adams glasses.

2006 version bottle #68 of 233

Appearance- Pours a pitch ass black with a big beautiful one finger dark tan head. A decent cap and collar is maintained the entire beer along with a fair amount of spotty lacing.
Smell- Sweet and caramelly with a big bourbon boozy thing erupting out of my glass. A bit of chocolate and coffee but nothing with the potency of the original. The bourbon and wood are very overpowering and totally take over the base beer that is Speedway Stout. Plenty of vanilla makes its way through along with a bit of light caramel.
Taste- Wow, the taste is so much more soft and balanced than the nose. A bracing bit of fruitiness from a big hoppy bite right from the get go. The original Speedway isn't really present in this beer (meaning the huge coffee and chocolate) but there is a bit of an acrid roastiness present. Plenty of wood and vanilla though as the barrel is crazy intense - bourbon galore. A fair amount of caramel though as there is a lightly bitter finish from the malt roast.
Mouthfeel- Big and rich and heavy with a very light bit of carbonation that lends itself to a nice creamy feel.
Drinkability- Not bad but honestly I'd much rather have the original. The barrel just covers all the great aspects of Speedway and doesn't help to make it better. Yes, it's still very good but for how limited it is but there are other barrel aged brews out there that are slightly better. One of the few beers that I prefer the regular to the barrel aged. Thanks Matt!

4.49/5  rDev -0.7%

Unexpectedly received this in a package from Kaiser81 - wow! Invited over a few friends that evening and busted this one open. What a great beer! Poured into my Portsmouth snifter (more than once, of course!) and savored the flavor.

Extremely dark and thick pour. The head billowed up a dark, dark brown and then subtly changed to a dark tan. Fairly quickly, the head diminished to just a thin layer but left behind some thick blotchy lace around the sides.

Wow, what a sweet smelling beer. My first thought was this smells like s'mores. Seriously - very sweet, marshmallow / vanilla nose that was very intriguing. Some sweet chocolate in there as well. I spent quite some time smelling this thing before I ever considered taking a drink. In fact, I was over at Wine Wednesday at the time with about 20 other people (non BAs), and I had a lot of them smell it because I thought it was so "different"...in a good way. There is definitely a whiskey component at the finish that reminds you how this sucker was created. Goodness.

The first thing that struck me upon my initial drink was how much thicker this was than I had would have guessed. Thick and sticky (which I love). The taste starts off with dark and sweet notes. Vanilla coffee is present, but quickly turns to a slight whiskey burn. It is a fairly alcoholic tasting beer. Throughout the session I get several varying tastes but nothing detracts; they all work very well together. There are some dark chocolate undertones that peek out every now and then as well. A very, very nice flavor...would be perfect if that alcohol was just a bit more subtle.

This was definitely an unexpected treat; thanks again, Ryan, for such generosity. We all very much enjoyed this beer. I had three glasses of it and would have gone back for more if I hadn't invited this many friends. It is a tad bit hot, but apparently not enough to really slow us down. Will definitely look to try this one again down the road.

Consumed: 4/14/2010

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

A- Not as beautiful compared to the normal version, the head just isn't quite there- still super black.

S- Buttery, creamy coffee (maybe cafe con leche). Milk chocolate. Getting more vanilla as it warms up.

T- Hot, there's almost a chile flavor to this. Coffee, but not overwhelming, more chocolate than the regular.

M- Thick, sticking, minerally, interesting.

D- This is different from the regular, but I'm not sure I'd say it's better- less coffee and slightly more complex. I wish there was more bourbon/wood/vanilla. I'm kinda suprised that this isn't smoother than it is. Regardless I'm glad I had it.

4.67/5  rDev +3.3%

I got lucky enough to have this 2004 bottle at dld. The beer is black with a tan head, nothing remarkable here. The aroma is pretty nice, notes of oak, bourbon, and vanilla. The taste is what places this beer apart. Not sure if its because of the againg(2004), but there is beer simply taste phenominal. It was really sweet in a good way with tons of vanilla and chocolate and super smooth oak and bourbon. A two ounch pour does not do this beer justice, I've got to get my hands on more.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Served from a growler, courtesy of dkachur. Thanks, Dan!

A: Inky black, with a brown head giving testimony to the colour of the brew. Retention is quite nice and there's plenty left behind on the glass.

S + T: Vanilla, chocolate, mocha, caramel all make . A comment at the table was that it's like being in a candy store, and that's probably the perfect statement. As it warms, it all comes out a lot more - though nothing is really excessive. Just a nice balance of a lot of bigger flavours and aromas.

M + D: Creamy and full bodied with a little bit of crisp carbonation to keep everything in balance. With such a huge ABV, the alcohol is verging on deceiving in how well hidden it is. There's really no sign of any heat at all. Very nice, and something that comes across far nicer than what I remember from the original.

4.97/5  rDev +10%

HUGE thanks to Kevin for sharing this growler with us!

A-Body is big, thick and opaque black. Pours with a 1-2 finger creamy dark tan head. Head fades eventually to a thick collar but plenty of lacing sticks all the way down the glass.

S- Exceptional. A delicate balance between bourbon BA characteristics and IRS characteristics. Very complex and slightly sweet-of moderate strength. Vanilla, oak, a slight hint of bourbon sweetness, dark chocolate, anise, dark fruit. Just wonderful.

T-Flavor is just as good as the nose but adds a slight roasted malt component to it. Upfront is a lot of IRS characteristics-dark fruit, anise, licorice, dark chocolate-and offers a bit of vanilla and bourbon sweetness and the slightest hint of oak in the background. A hint of roasted malt comes through for the finish to create an equal balance to the slightly sweet initial flavor. Some remnants of the initial flavor linger as well as a slight roasted malt bitterness.

M- Low to medium carbonation and a body that is thick, viscous, and exceptionally smooth and creamy.

D- This is one of the best stouts I have ever had. The BA components compliment the stout characteristics very well and this is worlds better than regular speedway-seem like 2 completely different beers. The flavors are really big here but it is not nearly as aggressive as regular speedway. Great to try the 2 side by side!

4.88/5  rDev +8%

A-pours an opaque black liquid that is thick and viscous. The head is tight and creamy with some bubbles on top. It has good retention and leaves a nice thick lace

S-the nose is amazing, it isn't huge but it is strong. Oak and vanilla set in right up front with a touch of bourbon sitting behind. Dark chocolate, chocolate brownies, toffee and a touch off caramel in the back

T-the taste is awesome. The oak and vanilla great the taste buds with the bourbon quietly coming in right after. Molasses comes in next and fades into dark chocolate, some bitter cocoa, and hints of coffee. Sweetness comes in at the back, toffee and a touch of caramel with some notes of dark fruits

M-huge mouthfeel, completely full bodied and thick, almost chewy. It is soft, smooth and creamy on the palate. So great!

D-this is a delicious imperial stout. The flavors are spot on, nothing dominates but the barrel aging works perfectly and smoothes out the feel so well. Awesome beer!

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks goes out to Mothman for sharing this growler he got at our small pre-DLD tasting. Thanks to whoever sent this to Mothman!

Pours pitch black with about of half finger of tan head. Was expecting the head to be darker, but thats nitpicking. Surprised this is as carbonated as it is, good sign so far. Leaves some nice blotchy lacing.

The nose is lighter than I imagined it would be. I get virtually no coffee, and for the life of me can't decide what barrel's this was aged in. In the nose, bourbon seems out of the question, as it gives off a sweeter smell, like Whiskey or Rum. I get a light vanilla like character, but mostly chocolate and dark roasted malts.

The taste is smooth and creamy, with dark roasted malts, velvety chocolate with a soft woody character. Still having a hard time deciding on what barrel this is, but based on others reviews I guess it's bourbon? That wasn't my first guess.

Smooth and creamy, with a medium to heavy body. Lighter than I expected. Soft carbonation. Drinkability is surpringly good. I had no problem finishing my two generous pours.

Overall, I'm extremely grateful to try this once in a lifetime gem. It wasn't exactly what I hoped it would be, but a stellar beer none the less. Thanks a bunch, Ben!

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks to womencantsail for the growler. Shared with some of the Chicago crew at a Pre-DLD tasting the night before. Poured into tasting glass (several times).

A - Pours black, mocha/tan head, slim cap on top, and good lacing along the sides of the glass. This one was pretty sticky.

S - Chocolate, slight bourbon, oak, dark fruits, slight coffee, burnt sugars, dark malts. Lots going on here all very-well balanced.

T - Lots of chocolate (both milk and dark), slight coffee, slight bourbon. I was expecting a little more bourbon and coffee notes on this one, but I ended up enjoying how it was balanced in between the chocolate/coffee/bourbon.

M - Medium to full, rich, smooth, light carbonation.

D - I had 4 or 5 tasting glasses worth, and I would have had more if it wasn't for everyone else breaking out more awesome beers. I really enjoyed this one. I'd def get another growler but obviously, you'll need several people to split this one with.

4.54/5  rDev +0.4%

Thanks to Doodler for the hookup on this one! Poured from an 8oz. hand-bottled swingtop growler into a Bruery tulip.

A: AleSmith only uses Mobil 1 in this baby. Some carbonation sticks around from the straightdown pour. Has a nice mocha color to balance the black beer. With a few swirls of the glass I notice it sticks to the side - sign of a good beer to me.

S: The best feature of this beer. A deep breath yields toffee, butter pecan, and rich chocolate notes. As it warms up I also get some fresh baked brownies and maple syrup aroma.

T: Sweet malts lead to a creamy caramel flavor. Chocolate, rum esters, and bitterness from the hops weave their way into the brew. This beer is well-layered and definitely improves as it warms up.

M: If you're a carb freak you might be disappointed. However, I think this beer does just fine without it because of it's "chewy" aspect.

D: Pretty solid for 12%. I don't get the squinty eyes from other BA beers that bring the motherload of booze. Also, as much as it smells syrupy, it's not.

Overall, a rare treat to get to try. Thanks Scott!

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Special thanks to my buddy Mike for making this one possible. Poured from a 64oz growler, consumed over 3 days. Awsomely awsome!

A- Black as night. 1-2 fingers of light chocolatey colored head. Leaves a nice light lacing as you progress through the glass.

S- Smells mostly of bourbon, with somelight coffee and chocolate notes. Also a distinct taste of dark malts and molasses.

T- Despite it's strong bourbon smell, it is actually quite subdued. Has a nice balance of Bourbon/Coffee/Chocolate, with a strong malty aftertaste. Almost reminds me of a KBS that isn't as soft/smooth, and has a little more backbone. It is very complex, and transitions through several flavors over a few seconds.

D- Alchohol is barely noticible for a BA Stout. I easily plowed through 2 glasses, and was looking for more.

M- Perfect balance of body and flavor. Not too light and not too thick. The carbonation and everything is just spot on

As a lover of BA Stouts, this is one of my favorites. I wish I had a keg of this stuff, as I looked forward to coming home to it the last couple nights. Awsome awsome beer, hopefully I'll get to have it again sometime

4.24/5  rDev -6.2%

Doodler hooks me up again! Served from a flip top bottle filled from a tap - I'm callin' this one a growler.

A: Pours pitch black with virtually no head to speak of - just a very fine ring of tannish bubbles around the perimeter of the glass. I think this one has lost a good amount of carbonation since the bottle was filled.

S: So sweet and luscious! Definitive aromas of milk chocolate and molasses, mixed with a large dose of sweet vanilla extract and bourbon. Smells a little "hot" too, if that's at all possible.

T: A good amount of chocolate, molasses, and oak up front. Not as much vanilla and bourbon in the flavor as in the nose, but both still definitely come through towards the finish. A little hop bitterness is also evident in the finish, which provides some nice balance. I think a little oxidation has sneaked its way into this bottle too, but it doesn't really detract from the overall experience. New layers of chocolate and buttery vanilla flavor come out as the quaff warms. The alcohol also becomes a little more apparent.

M: Thick and full bodied. The lack of carbonation detracts form things very little. In fact, a decently strong bite of alcohol in the finish mostly compensates for the lack of bubbly stimulation.

D: Admittedly, I probably did not review this beer under the best circumstances and I may have given it better marks fresh from the tap. That being said, however, as is it's a wonderful beer with many layers of complexity. I'll definitely seek this out fresh in the future, but I already really like it.

3.95/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours black with a brown head. Aroma is strong coffee and oak. Flavor again is more strong coffee, oak, bourbon, cream, toffee, booze, and just a hint of paper. Silky smooth mouthfeel. Some hint of the abv. I really liked this one, but after everything was said and done I almost prefer the non BA speedway. I did here from a few folks I shared this with it wasn't up to par with other bottles tasted. Still though, I'm so glad I finally got to try this.

4.67/5  rDev +3.3%

Glass(es) poured from a growler

A - Black as oil. No head and no lacing, but this may be due to the fact that the growler was opened two days prior to my tasting.

S - Oak and bourbon are apparent from the get-go. Alcohol is easily detected, as are hints of roasted coffee and malted milk.

T - Wow - this beer fires on all cylinders in the taste department. The taste of bourbon is strong from start to finish, as are the dark chocolate and espresso notes. Despite tasting toffee and caramelized sugars, the hops and barley are blended to perfection and keep this from being too sweet. This finishes with suggestions of dried fruits and more bourbon. The taste of this beer is seriously outstanding, and as you'd expect, it grows by leaps and bounds as it warms.

M - Satin-smooth, this has a great level of viscosity for an imperial stout. The fact that it was slightly less carbonated than I'd prefer is no doubt due to the growler having previously been opened.

D - Excellent drinkability for a beer of this magnitude; this is extremely complex and rich in flavor, and I'm upset that I don't have at least a few more ounces to enjoy.

What a beer - I can't wait to have this again sometime down the road! At least one of the people who I shared my growler with exclaimed that this is the best beer that they've ever had. It's easily among my tops as well.

2008 version poured at the April Portland BA Tasting at BeerMongers thanks to Luke.

Seriously, this was the best imperial stout I've ever had. The mouthfeel was the real high point, and I wish there was a way to rate it a 6. This beer is milk smooth. Unbelievable. The bourbon was present but not overwhelming, the coffee was still available if you really taste closely, and the vanilla flavors from the barrel were perfect. A one shot that won't be found again. Epic.

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

There's nothing quite like waking up to a phone call where the person goes "Hey, I was just at Alesmith and they had growlers of BA Speedway and I figured you'd want one". Thank you, Shane. I split this with a few friends on Sunday, but given that the past couple of days have cemented that I will actually be graduating this summer, I feel like I've earned a healthy 16oz pour as a nightcap.

Jet black with a dense dark brown head with great retention and lacing, this beer looks great. The nose is intense. I get a big chocolate character with licorice, a surprising amount of coffee and of course, the big barrel character with bourbon, vanilla and some coconut. The second pour a couple of days later has picked up some great oxidation as well, lending a light fruitiness to the beer. The palate opens with a big, wet barrel character with a big hit of bourbon and vanilla, warming and quite intense coupled with some oak. Chocolate, chocolate wafer, a delicate creaminess, and some licorice are all noticeable. Like the BA Decadence (Imperial Porter), this does exhibit a character that Alesmith has found to coax out of their barrel aged beers, a decadent chocolate milk character. The balance of flavors is exquisite. Full in body, this beer is particularly smooth with a soft, lush carbonation and a ridiculous finish with a blend of dark chocolate, bourbon, vanilla and a slight oak tannin character, as well as a little bitterness. Quite an exceptional beer.

Letting the beer sit in the growler for a few days brings out more fruity oxidation in this beer, really reminding me in some ways of the 03 BA Speedway, but it doesn't match up in the richness or breathtaking beauty that that beer is. All told, though, this is an exceptional beer, one that I feel lucky to have had a chance to try.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Had a sampler while I filled a growler in Alesmith's tasting room. I believe this is the '08 version

A - Pours a vicious and viscous pitch black with a finger width of mocha head...it dissipates fairly quickly and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass for a BA stout.

S - lots of bourbon up front. It's also maybe just a tad bit briney. There are chocolate notes that come through, though they are faint. The coffee is faint.

T - Speedway on crack, in an awesome way! I get lots of toffee and roast mixed in with some bourbon and coffee. The bourbon lingers perfectly.

M - Heavy body with mild carbonation. Really can't get much better. There's a slight coffee aftertaste.

D - Too good. I could drink way too much of it.

I'm so lucky to have had this 2 miles from my house. Cost me a lot to help out a couple of friends, but it was well worth it as a it's a special treat to be able to try this beer.

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

Headed down to Alesmith first thing I could to grab a growler of this beast.

Pours thick and a black that looks like you took used motor oil and tossed in some extra black. Not a ton of head but what does show up is thick and creamy. A chocolate brown hue, some lacing.

Smell is pretty intense. I instantly get a whiff of the barrel on there but with further investigation I get more of the roasted malt and chocolate profile perking up. Roasted sweetness. Smells great.

Taste follows directly behind smell but it is kicked up a notch. It is so surprising to me how well balanced this is. The majority of barrel aged stouts that I have had in my experience have been hot messes at the start but the growler of speedway is near perfection. Vanilla notes play well with others of cocoa and a big malt backbone.

12 percent is nearly impossible to pinpoint. Creamy mouth feel that just keeps dancing around my taste buds screaming for me to have more.

Overall this is an incredibly well made beer and one that truly lends itself to the barrel aging process. My only qualm is that it is not readily available.

4.67/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a growler into wine glasses - split four ways over the course of the evening. The aroma was terrific - lightly bourbon-y with some coffee and toasted chocolate as well - very different from regular speedway. Taste is great as well - not overdone on the barrel-aging as some recent stouts have seemd to me. Love the mouthfeel - very thick and oily. Nice and easy to drink as well.

Went nicely with the brownie cakes made from the leftover regular speedway growler and drizzled with speedway caramel sauce.

4.67/5  rDev +3.3%

Generously shared by Dyan yesterday.

BA Speedway pours an impressive blackish brown color with great head retention and plenty of sticky lacing. The beer looks impressive, but then I took the first sniff. Mama mia!!! The nose on this bad boy is just stunning, with coffee, malt balls, chocolate milkshake and vanilla. This beer smells wonderful and imparts one of the most impressive aroma profiles I've ever come across. The flavor profile generally replicates the nose, but is not quite as intense and complex. The chocolate milkshake and coffee take center stage on the palate, and the stout is pretty sweet. Yet that sweetness never seems over the top or cloying. Mouthfeel is outrageous in this one; this beer is so soft, plush, creamy and smooth. The finish seems to last forever. Alcohol is noticeable, but it in no way detracts from the drinkability in this fine beer.

Easily one of the best stouts I've ever encountered. It doesn't have the complexity of the Abyss, but scores very high in the decadence category. So rich and fine.... this is delicious stuff.

Dyan opened a bottle of the regular Speedway to compare the two.... while regular speedway is delicious, the BA version is just in a completely different league. Wow!

Thanks Dyan!