2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel AgedAleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 07-03-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 982 | Reviews: 257 | Show All Ratings:
kbutler1

Growler provided by mothman to try out prior to Dark Lord Day. Pours a deep, dark black with a slight tan head. Smells roasty, toasy, and coffee with a subtle sweetness in the nose, along with the barrel. Sweet up front with an aggressive bitterness in the back end just like the regular version. For some reason this is just not as good as I expected or wanted it to be.

08-20-2010 20:04:23 | More by kbutler1
glid02

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Growler shared by Grant - thanks!

Pours black with a half-finger brown head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of robust roasted malts with large amounts of dark chocolate and vanilla. Also present are solid amounts of butterscotch (it seems to be a trend with AleSmith BA beers) and hints of molasses. Finally, coffee aromas linger in the background.

Tastes very good. Roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined by mildly sweet molasses and butterscotch shortly thereafter. Dark chocolate flavors work their way into things midway through the sip. Near the end of the sip mild amounts of vanilla flavors make an appearance before fading into a mildly bitter ending. There's also a bit of alcohol burn that lingers but is nowhere near overpowering.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a very smooth thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I thought this was a phenomenal beer however I'm not sure if I don't prefer the normal Speedway. I think the type of barrel AleSmith uses is more geared toward a stout that's not quite as big as Speedway, maybe one with bourbon that was on the boozier side would work better. Anyways, I'm grasping at straws here, give this one a shot.

05-19-2010 05:19:42 | More by glid02
Xul

4.6/5  rDev +2%

A: Pours an inky, opaque black topped by the slimmest of mocha colored heads. A ring remains along with some scant lacing on top, but that's it.

S: Oaky up front, along with some distinct hints of bourbon. Some coffee remains, although it's definitely faded compared to normal Speedway. Dark fruits lurk in the background, some figs and black cherries. A bit of burnt sugar and caramel, but very, very light.

T: Oak more subtle than on the nose with a bit more vanilla and bourbon. Dark fruits come in at the middle w/ chocolate and burnt coffee. Finishes with semi-sweet chocolate, vanilla, and hints of coffee.

M: Moderate to slightly above moderate bodied...velvety, creamy, and smooth all come to mind. Carbonation is low but enough to support a beer of this weight.

D: Flavors are well integrated and the barrel aging wasn't overdone...obviously it's not exactly quaffable, but I'm having no trouble working my way through a growler with a friend.

05-19-2010 05:12:07 | More by Xul
hayesez

Indiana

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Unexpectedly received this in a package from Kaiser81 - wow! Invited over a few friends that evening and busted this one open. What a great beer! Poured into my Portsmouth snifter (more than once, of course!) and savored the flavor.

Extremely dark and thick pour. The head billowed up a dark, dark brown and then subtly changed to a dark tan. Fairly quickly, the head diminished to just a thin layer but left behind some thick blotchy lace around the sides.

Wow, what a sweet smelling beer. My first thought was this smells like s'mores. Seriously - very sweet, marshmallow / vanilla nose that was very intriguing. Some sweet chocolate in there as well. I spent quite some time smelling this thing before I ever considered taking a drink. In fact, I was over at Wine Wednesday at the time with about 20 other people (non BAs), and I had a lot of them smell it because I thought it was so "different"...in a good way. There is definitely a whiskey component at the finish that reminds you how this sucker was created. Goodness.

The first thing that struck me upon my initial drink was how much thicker this was than I had would have guessed. Thick and sticky (which I love). The taste starts off with dark and sweet notes. Vanilla coffee is present, but quickly turns to a slight whiskey burn. It is a fairly alcoholic tasting beer. Throughout the session I get several varying tastes but nothing detracts; they all work very well together. There are some dark chocolate undertones that peek out every now and then as well. A very, very nice flavor...would be perfect if that alcohol was just a bit more subtle.

This was definitely an unexpected treat; thanks again, Ryan, for such generosity. We all very much enjoyed this beer. I had three glasses of it and would have gone back for more if I hadn't invited this many friends. It is a tad bit hot, but apparently not enough to really slow us down. Will definitely look to try this one again down the road.

Consumed: 4/14/2010

05-08-2010 22:39:59 | More by hayesez
Proteus93

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Served from a growler, courtesy of dkachur. Thanks, Dan!

A: Inky black, with a brown head giving testimony to the colour of the brew. Retention is quite nice and there's plenty left behind on the glass.

S + T: Vanilla, chocolate, mocha, caramel all make . A comment at the table was that it's like being in a candy store, and that's probably the perfect statement. As it warms, it all comes out a lot more - though nothing is really excessive. Just a nice balance of a lot of bigger flavours and aromas.

M + D: Creamy and full bodied with a little bit of crisp carbonation to keep everything in balance. With such a huge ABV, the alcohol is verging on deceiving in how well hidden it is. There's really no sign of any heat at all. Very nice, and something that comes across far nicer than what I remember from the original.

04-30-2010 21:54:51 | More by Proteus93
PittBeerGirl

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

HUGE thanks to Kevin for sharing this growler with us!

A-Body is big, thick and opaque black. Pours with a 1-2 finger creamy dark tan head. Head fades eventually to a thick collar but plenty of lacing sticks all the way down the glass.

S- Exceptional. A delicate balance between bourbon BA characteristics and IRS characteristics. Very complex and slightly sweet-of moderate strength. Vanilla, oak, a slight hint of bourbon sweetness, dark chocolate, anise, dark fruit. Just wonderful.

T-Flavor is just as good as the nose but adds a slight roasted malt component to it. Upfront is a lot of IRS characteristics-dark fruit, anise, licorice, dark chocolate-and offers a bit of vanilla and bourbon sweetness and the slightest hint of oak in the background. A hint of roasted malt comes through for the finish to create an equal balance to the slightly sweet initial flavor. Some remnants of the initial flavor linger as well as a slight roasted malt bitterness.

M- Low to medium carbonation and a body that is thick, viscous, and exceptionally smooth and creamy.

D- This is one of the best stouts I have ever had. The BA components compliment the stout characteristics very well and this is worlds better than regular speedway-seem like 2 completely different beers. The flavors are really big here but it is not nearly as aggressive as regular speedway. Great to try the 2 side by side!

04-29-2010 15:37:45 | More by PittBeerGirl
cpetrone84

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

A-pours an opaque black liquid that is thick and viscous. The head is tight and creamy with some bubbles on top. It has good retention and leaves a nice thick lace

S-the nose is amazing, it isn't huge but it is strong. Oak and vanilla set in right up front with a touch of bourbon sitting behind. Dark chocolate, chocolate brownies, toffee and a touch off caramel in the back

T-the taste is awesome. The oak and vanilla great the taste buds with the bourbon quietly coming in right after. Molasses comes in next and fades into dark chocolate, some bitter cocoa, and hints of coffee. Sweetness comes in at the back, toffee and a touch of caramel with some notes of dark fruits

M-huge mouthfeel, completely full bodied and thick, almost chewy. It is soft, smooth and creamy on the palate. So great!

D-this is a delicious imperial stout. The flavors are spot on, nothing dominates but the barrel aging works perfectly and smoothes out the feel so well. Awesome beer!

04-29-2010 02:31:25 | More by cpetrone84
Mistofminn

4.28/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks goes out to Mothman for sharing this growler he got at our small pre-DLD tasting. Thanks to whoever sent this to Mothman!

Pours pitch black with about of half finger of tan head. Was expecting the head to be darker, but thats nitpicking. Surprised this is as carbonated as it is, good sign so far. Leaves some nice blotchy lacing.

The nose is lighter than I imagined it would be. I get virtually no coffee, and for the life of me can't decide what barrel's this was aged in. In the nose, bourbon seems out of the question, as it gives off a sweeter smell, like Whiskey or Rum. I get a light vanilla like character, but mostly chocolate and dark roasted malts.

The taste is smooth and creamy, with dark roasted malts, velvety chocolate with a soft woody character. Still having a hard time deciding on what barrel this is, but based on others reviews I guess it's bourbon? That wasn't my first guess.

Smooth and creamy, with a medium to heavy body. Lighter than I expected. Soft carbonation. Drinkability is surpringly good. I had no problem finishing my two generous pours.

Overall, I'm extremely grateful to try this once in a lifetime gem. It wasn't exactly what I hoped it would be, but a stellar beer none the less. Thanks a bunch, Ben!

04-27-2010 04:35:43 | More by Mistofminn
Sean9689

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to womencantsail for the growler. Shared with some of the Chicago crew at a Pre-DLD tasting the night before. Poured into tasting glass (several times).

A - Pours black, mocha/tan head, slim cap on top, and good lacing along the sides of the glass. This one was pretty sticky.

S - Chocolate, slight bourbon, oak, dark fruits, slight coffee, burnt sugars, dark malts. Lots going on here all very-well balanced.

T - Lots of chocolate (both milk and dark), slight coffee, slight bourbon. I was expecting a little more bourbon and coffee notes on this one, but I ended up enjoying how it was balanced in between the chocolate/coffee/bourbon.

M - Medium to full, rich, smooth, light carbonation.

D - I had 4 or 5 tasting glasses worth, and I would have had more if it wasn't for everyone else breaking out more awesome beers. I really enjoyed this one. I'd def get another growler but obviously, you'll need several people to split this one with.

04-26-2010 13:53:55 | More by Sean9689
hoppymcgee

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%

Thanks to Doodler for the hookup on this one! Poured from an 8oz. hand-bottled swingtop growler into a Bruery tulip.

A: AleSmith only uses Mobil 1 in this baby. Some carbonation sticks around from the straightdown pour. Has a nice mocha color to balance the black beer. With a few swirls of the glass I notice it sticks to the side - sign of a good beer to me.

S: The best feature of this beer. A deep breath yields toffee, butter pecan, and rich chocolate notes. As it warms up I also get some fresh baked brownies and maple syrup aroma.

T: Sweet malts lead to a creamy caramel flavor. Chocolate, rum esters, and bitterness from the hops weave their way into the brew. This beer is well-layered and definitely improves as it warms up.

M: If you're a carb freak you might be disappointed. However, I think this beer does just fine without it because of it's "chewy" aspect.

D: Pretty solid for 12%. I don't get the squinty eyes from other BA beers that bring the motherload of booze. Also, as much as it smells syrupy, it's not.

Overall, a rare treat to get to try. Thanks Scott!

04-22-2010 01:26:37 | More by hoppymcgee
Gfunk720

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Special thanks to my buddy Mike for making this one possible. Poured from a 64oz growler, consumed over 3 days. Awsomely awsome!

A- Black as night. 1-2 fingers of light chocolatey colored head. Leaves a nice light lacing as you progress through the glass.

S- Smells mostly of bourbon, with somelight coffee and chocolate notes. Also a distinct taste of dark malts and molasses.

T- Despite it's strong bourbon smell, it is actually quite subdued. Has a nice balance of Bourbon/Coffee/Chocolate, with a strong malty aftertaste. Almost reminds me of a KBS that isn't as soft/smooth, and has a little more backbone. It is very complex, and transitions through several flavors over a few seconds.

D- Alchohol is barely noticible for a BA Stout. I easily plowed through 2 glasses, and was looking for more.

M- Perfect balance of body and flavor. Not too light and not too thick. The carbonation and everything is just spot on

As a lover of BA Stouts, this is one of my favorites. I wish I had a keg of this stuff, as I looked forward to coming home to it the last couple nights. Awsome awsome beer, hopefully I'll get to have it again sometime

04-21-2010 23:47:12 | More by Gfunk720
MrDanno96

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

Doodler hooks me up again! Served from a flip top bottle filled from a tap - I'm callin' this one a growler.

A: Pours pitch black with virtually no head to speak of - just a very fine ring of tannish bubbles around the perimeter of the glass. I think this one has lost a good amount of carbonation since the bottle was filled.

S: So sweet and luscious! Definitive aromas of milk chocolate and molasses, mixed with a large dose of sweet vanilla extract and bourbon. Smells a little "hot" too, if that's at all possible.

T: A good amount of chocolate, molasses, and oak up front. Not as much vanilla and bourbon in the flavor as in the nose, but both still definitely come through towards the finish. A little hop bitterness is also evident in the finish, which provides some nice balance. I think a little oxidation has sneaked its way into this bottle too, but it doesn't really detract from the overall experience. New layers of chocolate and buttery vanilla flavor come out as the quaff warms. The alcohol also becomes a little more apparent.

M: Thick and full bodied. The lack of carbonation detracts form things very little. In fact, a decently strong bite of alcohol in the finish mostly compensates for the lack of bubbly stimulation.

D: Admittedly, I probably did not review this beer under the best circumstances and I may have given it better marks fresh from the tap. That being said, however, as is it's a wonderful beer with many layers of complexity. I'll definitely seek this out fresh in the future, but I already really like it.

04-20-2010 03:38:23 | More by MrDanno96
klikger

Wisconsin

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Glass(es) poured from a growler

A - Black as oil. No head and no lacing, but this may be due to the fact that the growler was opened two days prior to my tasting.

S - Oak and bourbon are apparent from the get-go. Alcohol is easily detected, as are hints of roasted coffee and malted milk.

T - Wow - this beer fires on all cylinders in the taste department. The taste of bourbon is strong from start to finish, as are the dark chocolate and espresso notes. Despite tasting toffee and caramelized sugars, the hops and barley are blended to perfection and keep this from being too sweet. This finishes with suggestions of dried fruits and more bourbon. The taste of this beer is seriously outstanding, and as you'd expect, it grows by leaps and bounds as it warms.

M - Satin-smooth, this has a great level of viscosity for an imperial stout. The fact that it was slightly less carbonated than I'd prefer is no doubt due to the growler having previously been opened.

D - Excellent drinkability for a beer of this magnitude; this is extremely complex and rich in flavor, and I'm upset that I don't have at least a few more ounces to enjoy.

What a beer - I can't wait to have this again sometime down the road! At least one of the people who I shared my growler with exclaimed that this is the best beer that they've ever had. It's easily among my tops as well.

04-18-2010 04:04:21 | More by klikger
squaremile

Oregon

2008 version poured at the April Portland BA Tasting at BeerMongers thanks to Luke.

Seriously, this was the best imperial stout I've ever had. The mouthfeel was the real high point, and I wish there was a way to rate it a 6. This beer is milk smooth. Unbelievable. The bourbon was present but not overwhelming, the coffee was still available if you really taste closely, and the vanilla flavors from the barrel were perfect. A one shot that won't be found again. Epic.

04-17-2010 04:48:29 | More by squaremile
DefenCorps

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

There's nothing quite like waking up to a phone call where the person goes "Hey, I was just at Alesmith and they had growlers of BA Speedway and I figured you'd want one". Thank you, Shane. I split this with a few friends on Sunday, but given that the past couple of days have cemented that I will actually be graduating this summer, I feel like I've earned a healthy 16oz pour as a nightcap.

Jet black with a dense dark brown head with great retention and lacing, this beer looks great. The nose is intense. I get a big chocolate character with licorice, a surprising amount of coffee and of course, the big barrel character with bourbon, vanilla and some coconut. The second pour a couple of days later has picked up some great oxidation as well, lending a light fruitiness to the beer. The palate opens with a big, wet barrel character with a big hit of bourbon and vanilla, warming and quite intense coupled with some oak. Chocolate, chocolate wafer, a delicate creaminess, and some licorice are all noticeable. Like the BA Decadence (Imperial Porter), this does exhibit a character that Alesmith has found to coax out of their barrel aged beers, a decadent chocolate milk character. The balance of flavors is exquisite. Full in body, this beer is particularly smooth with a soft, lush carbonation and a ridiculous finish with a blend of dark chocolate, bourbon, vanilla and a slight oak tannin character, as well as a little bitterness. Quite an exceptional beer.

Letting the beer sit in the growler for a few days brings out more fruity oxidation in this beer, really reminding me in some ways of the 03 BA Speedway, but it doesn't match up in the richness or breathtaking beauty that that beer is. All told, though, this is an exceptional beer, one that I feel lucky to have had a chance to try.

04-16-2010 03:27:36 | More by DefenCorps
Kaiser81

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Had a sampler while I filled a growler in Alesmith's tasting room. I believe this is the '08 version

A - Pours a vicious and viscous pitch black with a finger width of mocha head...it dissipates fairly quickly and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass for a BA stout.

S - lots of bourbon up front. It's also maybe just a tad bit briney. There are chocolate notes that come through, though they are faint. The coffee is faint.

T - Speedway on crack, in an awesome way! I get lots of toffee and roast mixed in with some bourbon and coffee. The bourbon lingers perfectly.

M - Heavy body with mild carbonation. Really can't get much better. There's a slight coffee aftertaste.

D - Too good. I could drink way too much of it.

I'm so lucky to have had this 2 miles from my house. Cost me a lot to help out a couple of friends, but it was well worth it as a it's a special treat to be able to try this beer.

04-16-2010 02:33:26 | More by Kaiser81
Mauerhan

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Headed down to Alesmith first thing I could to grab a growler of this beast.

Pours thick and a black that looks like you took used motor oil and tossed in some extra black. Not a ton of head but what does show up is thick and creamy. A chocolate brown hue, some lacing.

Smell is pretty intense. I instantly get a whiff of the barrel on there but with further investigation I get more of the roasted malt and chocolate profile perking up. Roasted sweetness. Smells great.

Taste follows directly behind smell but it is kicked up a notch. It is so surprising to me how well balanced this is. The majority of barrel aged stouts that I have had in my experience have been hot messes at the start but the growler of speedway is near perfection. Vanilla notes play well with others of cocoa and a big malt backbone.

12 percent is nearly impossible to pinpoint. Creamy mouth feel that just keeps dancing around my taste buds screaming for me to have more.

Overall this is an incredibly well made beer and one that truly lends itself to the barrel aging process. My only qualm is that it is not readily available.

04-13-2010 04:44:34 | More by Mauerhan
bobjonesSD

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a growler into wine glasses - split four ways over the course of the evening. The aroma was terrific - lightly bourbon-y with some coffee and toasted chocolate as well - very different from regular speedway. Taste is great as well - not overdone on the barrel-aging as some recent stouts have seemd to me. Love the mouthfeel - very thick and oily. Nice and easy to drink as well.

Went nicely with the brownie cakes made from the leftover regular speedway growler and drizzled with speedway caramel sauce.

04-12-2010 20:09:12 | More by bobjonesSD
johnmichaelsen

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Generously shared by Dyan yesterday.

BA Speedway pours an impressive blackish brown color with great head retention and plenty of sticky lacing. The beer looks impressive, but then I took the first sniff. Mama mia!!! The nose on this bad boy is just stunning, with coffee, malt balls, chocolate milkshake and vanilla. This beer smells wonderful and imparts one of the most impressive aroma profiles I've ever come across. The flavor profile generally replicates the nose, but is not quite as intense and complex. The chocolate milkshake and coffee take center stage on the palate, and the stout is pretty sweet. Yet that sweetness never seems over the top or cloying. Mouthfeel is outrageous in this one; this beer is so soft, plush, creamy and smooth. The finish seems to last forever. Alcohol is noticeable, but it in no way detracts from the drinkability in this fine beer.

Easily one of the best stouts I've ever encountered. It doesn't have the complexity of the Abyss, but scores very high in the decadence category. So rich and fine.... this is delicious stuff.

Dyan opened a bottle of the regular Speedway to compare the two.... while regular speedway is delicious, the BA version is just in a completely different league. Wow!

Thanks Dyan!

04-12-2010 15:04:22 | More by johnmichaelsen
GbVDave

4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a 64oz growler into some red wine glasses. Growler supplied and generously shared by Masterski with me, Joe1510, and three of Masterskis' friends. Thanks Alex!

A: Pours coal black with a thin and creamy dark khaki colored head. Retention was fleeting but when this was swirled, it showed off some pretty legs.

S: I was surprised by how restrained the bourbon aroma was. It, by all means, is there but slightly in the background. Heavily roasted malt, espresso, and dark fruit.

T: See above. Barrel flavor comes on strong during the late middle and on through the finish. Bourbon was more pronounced here than in the aroma. Again, loads of coffee, blackened malt, and raisins.

M: I found this to be a little on the thin side for such a big stout. Don't gete me wrong, it's still huge, but a little less full and coating than I expected. Maybe that helped the drinkability score? Finishes tannic, dry, and ashy.

D: Pretty excellent. I felt that this is more drinkable than regular Speedway which I find to be pretty hot and bitter, as of late. Actually this drank like a 6-7% stout. How do they hide that?

04-12-2010 01:12:10 | More by GbVDave
OlieIPA

4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

I was fortunate enough to take a half-day on Thursday and get down to Alesmith to try and purchase a growler of this wonderful stuff. Can life get better? I submit that it cannot.

A: Poured motor-oil thick and black into my Bruery tulip glass. What was disappointing was the lack of head and lacing, but I can contribute some of that to the growler. A few quick swirls develop a head, but the retention was mild at best.

S: Sweet bourbon and caramel off the bat with hints of sticky molasses, vanilla, cocoa and coffee towards the backend. The barrel is strong, but enhances all the other smells instead of overpowering them.

T: The first sip (impression) is a combination of complex flavors that almost makes my palate quiver. Coffee, vanilla, wood, and caramel seem to be the first wave of flavors I pick up. Tons of molasses, bitter-burnt chocolate, and residual sugar are next in line and make up most of the middle. The coffee, which seems subdued for most of the sip, seems to really come through towards the finish.

M: Creamy, full-bodied, and quite sticky at times. The finish is slightly dry, which may be due to the high attenuation this beer experienced and/or coffee.

D: Extremely drinkable; no alcohol bite at all and flavor profile is among the best I've ever tried.

Overall: Vastly different/better than the bottled version I tried a few years back. The complexities that the barrel imparted on this year's Speedway were amazing, to say the least. I can't think of another beer that used the barrel aging process as well as this. I must try. Cheers!

04-10-2010 17:03:59 | More by OlieIPA
vacax

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

The growler pours gosh danged dark with around a finger of dark mocha head. Not much retention or lacing, goes down to zero bubbles pretty quickly. Slight coating effect from the alcohol, but no legs or church windows. The aroma is plums, bourbon, brown sugar, black treacle, coconut, coffee, and oak. The barrel presence is quite real and stronger than the bottles I have tasted from time to time, as this growler would be fresher out of the oak. The flavor has cocoa, oak, bourbon, raisin, and even some olive and spiciness to it. Roasted coffee and cookielike malts on the finish. The body is medium to full with some nice oily thickness to it, but still a bit thinner I would expect. Quite a nice beer, somewhat boozy, though I like some nice bourbon flavors. I will have a couple glasses.

04-05-2010 02:40:42 | More by vacax
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

growler split three ways with friends

sweet bourbon and deep rich malt on the sniffer

bourbon and coffee meld wonderfully...coffee up front and bourbon in the rear...so many avenues to explore here, but I'll let it go. Wave after wave of dark chocolate as this beer warms. Wood from the barrel is increasingly evident. Just thoroughly enjoyable.

Body is slightly oily, lightly carbonated, and a bit thin for the heft of this beauty.

Alcohol content is well hidden in this incredibly crafted, highly enjoyable stout. A real treat.

04-05-2010 01:57:24 | More by BarrytheBear
femALEist

4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

Had this on tap at the City Beer Store Alesmith event during SF Beer week.
The Bourbon Barrel Aged Speedway Stout is 12.5%, just a .5% more than their regular Speedway Stout. It poured an eclipse black with some light cream. It smelled like bourbon, malt, espresso, but not too overwhelmingly bourbon. It tasted like toasted malts, bourbon, but no burn. It was incredibly smooth for 12.5% and seemed more like it was created using Irish whiskey barrels perhaps? You don't get much vanilla or coconut flavors out of it- just a hint. Seems reminiscent of the Deschuttes XXI. Overall, pretty tasty.

03-25-2010 19:45:17 | More by femALEist
PeprSprYoFace

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

On tap at Churchill's Renaissance.

Appearance is jet black. Thin head dissapated fast. Left a ring. No lacing.

Aroma is tons of dark fruits, caramel, toasted sugars. Very complex. Some bourbon in the nose.

Tastes exactly as it smells with a good bourbon flavor that doesn't take over and let's the other flavors play as well.

Mouthfeel is heavy with nice carb.

Overall a damn fine beer that I am glad shows up every once in a while.

03-06-2010 19:44:04 | More by PeprSprYoFace