AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel AgedAleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged

Wants: 1,953
AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: beerguy101 on 01-01-2004

Reviews: 296 | Hads: 1,646
4.74/5  rDev +6.8%

Taken from notes, 2006 Vintage

A: Pours a nice coal black with a small tan head with some slight lacing left in the glass

S: Full of roasted and oak notes slight bourbon hiding in the back.

T: Nice rich flavors with some licorice and more oakiness and roasted flavors going on, very pleasing to the palate.

M: Nice rich and creamy. Lightly carbonated.

D: Very good despite the alcohol content. I hope to be able to acquire some of this in the future! (458 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +4.7%

Review #200.
2 Year Anniversary of my first review.

2006.
#122/233.

A - Pours into the snifter with a beautiful, tight little brown head. The body, a menacing black, beckons. Great lacing, legs.

S - Nice bourbon characteristics up front. A slight hint of wood, big notes of underlying coffee and vanilla. A molasses sweetness is present on the backend. Booze. Bigness.

T - Lots of coffee throughout, which surprises me due to the age. Big, bitter, dry finish. Bourbon and coconut notes on the back. Some heat, but nothing very much noted in the taste itself. Vanilla. It's a great representation of a barrel-aged beer. Complex, huge, ever-changing. Nice dark chocolate and fig/raisin notes as it warms.

M - I'm slightly bummed because it doesn't seem as thick as I remember Speedway being, but it's still got quite a big body and a nice, steady carbonation.

D - For everything involved, and the bigness of the flavors and ABV, this is absolutely killer... the over-attenuation seems to help with ease of quaffing.

Notes: Mad thanks to Carlos for this. It's a great, and I mean GREAT, brew to have for my 200th review. Totally worth seeking out. (1,153 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +9%

Pitch black with not too much head. A good swirl got nothing. The aroma is full of coffe, vanilla, oak, dark fruit, and so much more I just couldn't wrap my head around. Same with the flavor. Everything mentioned in the nose was present in the flavor. All very well blended. There was some concern at the table that the coffee would not make its way through. It was there and stood tall. The palate was a touch on the thin side, yet very fullfilling. (450 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +9.7%

750 ml capped bottle, 2006 vintage, bottle # 107/233. Day 2 of epic DrJay visit tasting, huge thanks to DrJay for bringing this one!

Pours a deep opaque black, some very dark brown in the far edges in the light, huge and thick brown head forms, drops some lace spots and settles down to a very thick ring, looks great. Smell is amazing, lots of bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate, coffee and roast, light woody sourness, toffee, toast, oats, very very rich, its hard to describe how good this smells. Perfect mix of bourbon barrel with the stout. Taste is just as amazing, buttery toffee, chocolate and bourbon, oak, vanilla, roast, figs, toast, very intense flavour, light wood astringency in the finish, perfect. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, buttery smooth. Drinks like 5%. Wow, this is an insanely good beer. Proof of perfect barrel aging, one of the best beers I've ever had. Thanks a ton Jay! (916 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +9%

Shared the 2007 vintage with some friends at a new years party.

Wow, this beer is delicious. The bourbon was present in the smell and taste. As good as regular Speedway Stout is, the addition of the barrel aging makes this a real treat. Not as sweet as the regular version. I enjoyed the fact that it wasn't too heavy. Overall it tasted wonderful, and is great paired with leche flan, a creme brulee type desert. Outstanding!!!

*Update 4/10/10

I was able to grab a growler and drank over the course of two nights, and wow, I would leave all my original scores the same, but I would actually bump up the mouthfeel score to 4.5

There was loads of chocolate in the nose on the growler version. It also had a fuller and thicker body with a slightly sweeter taste. I really liked how the barrel aging aspect was not overwhelming and would actually play the background on some sips. Just a world class brew, and I can't wait till they do growlers of this one again. (964 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

No better way to celebrate review #500 than to break out the barrel-aged version of one of my favorite beers ever. Huge thanks to hoppymeal for the opportunity! 2007 bottle #316 of 447.

Pours black but not completely opaque as hints of mahogany show through the edges. The head is one-finger tall, very bubbly and remains a swirl of small bubbles and a ring for the duration, leaving traces of lacing.

The aroma is exceptional. The bourbon is present up front but is supported by dark roasted malts, bakers chocolate and a whiff of coffee (not nearly as dominant as in the regular version). The barrel presence is evident with a bit of vanilla. All of these things seem to come together into one cohesive aroma.

The taste has the sweetness of the chocolate and some dark fruits up front before the dark malts and roasted coffee step up in the middle. The finish is big on vanilla and bourbon and leaves an alcohol warming as it goes down.

The mouthfeel is very smooth and medium bodied for the style with less carbonation than I remember in the regular version.

This is a fantastic beer though I can't decide if it quite measures up to the regular version to me. Either way, it's not to be missed. Thanks again to Derek for his (continued) generosity! (1,256 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +6.8%

A - Pitch black with small nice mocha head. Lacing retentive but small bubbled and not webby.

S - Vanilla. Jack. Wood. Cream. Sweet malt.

T - One big friggin party. Somewhat upfront booziness, vanilla, sweet malt, just nice combination. Yes sir, may I have another?

M - Medium to heavy. SO creamy, coating, such perfect carb.

D - OK, so not so drinkable by the strictest definition. However, it is so good, I would be forced to drink it anyway. LOL. (454 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

2004 Vintage

Bottle #98

Pours a very nice dark brown color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger creamy off-white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some chocolate/coffee/toffee notes, licorice, vanilla. The taste is malty, with some nice dark stuff thrown in. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is a very nice brew, highly recommended. (371 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +4.1%

Found myself talking a lot about this beer lately so might as well enter the rating. I've have 03, 04 and 06 vintage. This is for the 06. Pour is pitch black and still...hardly any head. Aroma is oak, chocolate, coffee, vanilla and a touch of bourbon. Velvety smooth taste, creamy. Sweet, but has nice malt balance and some bitterness. Very full body. Very nicely uses bourbon aging without being overpowering. (410 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured a dark brown oily color with a thin creamy head. Smelled coffee, bourbon, vanilla, malts, maybe toffee. I enjoyed this beer but it isn't my favorite style so I probably am not the best evaluator. I definitely got the bourbon taste as well as a strong vanilla flavor. Warming made the flavors more robust and brought out the alcohol intensity. It was relatively thin as far as carbonation and pretty smooth for the 12%. I would love to try again but it is definitely a sipper with a max of one for me. (507 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

2008 Biergotter Tasting - Day 2. 2006 - bottle 107/233. Big thanks to mikesgroove for hooking me up with this one!
Black with faint brown edges. Thin, dark tan cap of very fine bubbles. Lots of very sticky lace. Looks great. The barrel aging really worked well with the base beer, and Speedway's no slouch on its own. Aromas of vanilla, woody oak, bourbon and booze, melded with the toffee and caramel, coffee and dark chocolate, and mild fruit character. Just a bit buttery as it warmed. Great balance in the flavour too. Plenty of roasted malts, coffee, oak, toffee and chocolate. Bitterness and hop flavour had faded somewhat, but were still present. Mild alcohol and light vanilla. Extremely smooth in texture with very fine carbonation, a bit on the low side. Full bodied, but seemed just a little thinner than I remember Speedway being. Truly an elegant beer. Delicious and wonderfully balanced. One of the high points of barrel aged beer, at least for me. (962 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to MiguelMandingo for sharing this. Vintage 2007 bottle 254

A - Very dark brown with very little to no head and a little bit of lacing

S - Very intense bourbon with vanilla and toffee notes

T - Bourbon vanilla toffee. The bourbon was stronger than the nose suggested. Also some coffee notes come out as it warms up

M - Medium thick body with very little carbonation

D - This is an excellent beer. Could be easier to drink but for the strength it is pretty damn smooth and very enjoyable. (499 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

Got this in a trade with miketd. Thanks Mike!

Poured part of a 750ml into a snifter.

Vintage 2007 - 254/447

Appearance - Pours an opaque black and produced a 1 finger head that quickly dissipated to a swirly/spotty crown on the surface of the brew. The crown is rocky textured around the perimeter of the glass.

Smell - The scent is pretty awesome. I get notes of vanilla, bourbon, oak, hints of chocolate and barely any coffee. The bourbon dominates here, but that is hardly a problem for me. Very boozy.

Taste - I think this is a little too young to have opened now, I should have sat on this for a while. The bourbon character is huge, to the point where the original taste of the Speedway is hardly discernible. Vanilla, woody oakiness, and hints of chocolate. There is only a hint of coffee. In fact, the BA version seems to have replaced the coffee in favor of bourbon. I would have favored a little more balance.

Mouthfeel - This feels a little thin, but good nice as it rolls over the tongue. The carbonation level is pretty good for a BA beer. It feels lively. Medium bodied.

Drinkability - The drinkability is pretty good if you enjoy bourbon, and I love bourbon. This is definitely a sipper, I am feeling pretty warm as I type this. I will have to trade for another bottle and sit on it for a while, because at this point, I think I would rather have the original version over the BA version. I would love to see how this tastes with a little age on it. (1,473 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

2008 Biergotter Tasting, Day 2: Stouts and Belgians. big thanks to DrJay for sharing this one.

750ml bottle topped with gold foil. 2006 vintage, bottle #107/233. sampled nov 28/08.

pours opaque black with a medium sized dense brown head. the head drops fairly fast but leaves lots of lace behind.

aroma is awesome. holy shit does this smell good. bourbon. vanilla. coffee. dark chocolate. caramel. whole wheat bread. biscuit. cracker. some dark fruit. the caramel component seems to get bigger as it warms too.

wow. taste is excellent. i love speedway and this is just a decadent slice above. coffee. dark and milk chocolate. bourbon. vanilla. oak. big bread and biscuit malt. some dark fruit. caramel. toffee. there's just so much depth to it, so many layers to uncover that it's tough to capture it all.

mouthfeel is excellent too. silky smooth medium-low carbonation level. medium-large body.

drinkability is awesome. i've heard from several sources that the barrel-aged version was "underwhelming", not as good as they expected, and just didn't measure up to the regular speedway. i couldn't disagree more. this shit is awesome. the rough edges from the speedway are gone, just silky smooth, well balanced, and just plain great. i really loved this one. we were trying to wring every last drop out of the bottle and wishing there was more. definitely the highlight of the night. great stuff - must find more! (1,418 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -11%

'06 Version.
Pours a very dark brown in color. There's a short lived frothy ring of head around the perimeter of the glass. Very subdued bourbon in the nose. Good to see that the bourbon is not dominating. Still some good roasty coffee notes coming through.
There's much more coffee coming through in the taste. So much in fact that it's dominating the bourbon barrel aging effects. I expected just the opposite. Also was a bit thinner in the mouthfeel than I was expecting. Ends up being a bit more balanced than I was expecting. Not earth moving, but then again, don't know if this had a chance to live up to the hype. (621 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -8.3%

2007 Bottle 345/447 thanks to OlieIPA. 200th Review!

Pours black with very little head and a nice ring of lacing.

Scent of bourbon, oak, roasted malts, coffee and a hint of raisins. Just an absolutely huge bourbon and oak aroma on this one, which is very good, but it's not quite perfect. Perhaps it could use a bit more age as the bourbon is dominating, but I like a big bourbon aroma, so I'm not complaining.

Taste is even bigger, starts off sweet with bourbon and raisins while roasted malts, oak, chocolate and coffee come in quickly and bringing the initial sweetness to a halt. The bourbon here is overpowering as well, leaves something to be desired. Finishes with roasted malts, oak and alcohol. Roasted malts and oak linger for some time making for a very pleasant, lasting aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is heavy and smooth, but kind of watery.

For as strong as this beer is, it is still quite drinkable.

I would take a regular Speedway Stout over the Barrel Aged version any day if this is the best it can offer. It's still a great beer, but the bourbon is too overpowering for it to be really enjoyable, but maybe some more age would have done some good. (1,163 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.4%

Decided to crack this bottle while barbequing some chicken one fine day. Why? Because I can. Just like the dog. Pulling this out of my cellar brought back fond memories of the release day: scoring 6 bottles, cracking a piss warm westy12 with friends, sluggin Pliny and Blind Pig out the bottle, mowing grub at Stone... good times!!!

Now some people feel that they can sufficiently review a beer after a 2oz taster. Not Daddy. That's why 750ml of BA Speedway and I are about to have a serious discussion on the nature of the multiverse. While barbequing chicken.

Agressive pour creates a monstrous Del Taco chihuahua fur colored head. That settles at a moderately quick pace to a thin film on top of an open tar pit.

BIG whoof of the barrel. Alcohol, dark fruits and... maybe some bitter chocolate or cocoa. Nutty even. And some more whiskey like aromas.

I was afraid there would be too much booze in the taste (possible?), but it's mostly in the nose. Taste is a big bite of dry cocoa. Then maybe some chocolate and coffee. And some booze. Then some prunes. Ahh, prunes.

So very smooth through the mouth. I catch a bubble or two of carbonation in the back of the throat, but the alcohol bitch slaps it around and calls it Susan. Everybody ends up fat, dumb, and happy. Not quite as thick as expected. Not that it's thin by any means, but it's not 30wt. Goes down like melted butter. Big ass beer here - no joke.

The missus takes her customary 4oz taster (still breastfeeding) then dumps over half back into my glass (too strong!). YES!!! Where does that leave Daddy? Well, shitfaced to be candid. If this is my last review, it's because this big ass beer kicked my ass and I died. Smart money is on me though!

Smooth! Two-thirds of a bottle down and I'm losing motor skills. Rolling the chicken instead of flipping. Hope I can read these notes when I go to type the review. Same 12% as the regular Speedway, but the bourbon flavor makes it seem like more. Like 12.2% maybe. Good thing I've spent the last 15 years in high alcohol altitude training.

Above from notes. The outcome: I'm still here, she's all gone. Good times.

Overall: It's a knock-you-on-your-assterpiece. (2,180 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow, what a treat to see this one at Rich's Yeha (huge thanks to EDA). '02 vintage, bottle #15/115.

Poured a dark black color with a small sized tan head. Aromas of coffee, roasted malts, wood, bourbon and some vanilla. Tastes of coffee, roasted malts, light vanilla and bourbon.

Notes above from 12/12/05

I'll have to spend more quality time with some of the newer vintags to see how they compare. (403 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured pitch black with a nice tan head and beautiful lacing. Aroma of chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, tobacco, bourbon and oak. Chocolate and coffee taste followed by a warming bourbon flavor and a full mouthfeel. My all time favorite stout!

Wake up at 7:30 am, on the grounds of the beautiful Ommegang brewery. As the rain begins to fall, I see some good friends, looking like they need a good beer. So I open up my 2004 bottle # 14. The rain begins to come down harder, so I put the bottle under the shade of my open trunk. Our glasses our filled with care, and we enjoy, as the rain droplets fell into the open glassware, and onto our heads. The right beer at the right time, I love this shit! (699 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +3.4%

2007 Vintage, Bottle 300/447. Poured into a New Belgium snifter.

Pours blacker than the soul of Dick Cheney, with a thin wisp of a head that disappears as fast as it arrives. Huge coffee & bourbon on the nose, followed by oak, vanilla, and dark fruits. Coffee is the overwhelming flavor on the palate, followed closely by bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, oak, dark fruit, leather, and smoke. Full bodied for sure, but not as huge and viscous as other Imperial Stouts of this magnitude. Saying it's thin is a bit of a stretch, but it's not as coating as you'd expect. Definite alcohol bite combined with the thickness dampens drinkability. It took four people to polish the bottle off.

A fantastic beer, no doubt. Whether it's worth the time & money to acquire, the jury's still out. (780 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Deep and dark, brown hues around the edges. Minimal tan head that fades quickly to a ring then to nothing. Rich and deep in the nose. Bourbon isn't showing up front but after it warms it shows more and more. Rich coffee, chocolate, and some dark fruits in the background. Bourbon...oak and vanilla show up. Taste is also pretty deep. The bourbon is more present but not dominant and imparts a nice vanilla flavor that comes in the finish. Coffee and chocolate. Some caramel and light butterscotch as well. Darker fruits still present. Mouthfeel is lacking in carbonation a bit and not as full as could be. Somewhat creamy but to silky to the point of almost being thin. Overall, it's a drinkable brew. Didn't quite live up to my expectations but it was enjoyable. I owe PHawk a huge thanks for helping me with a bottle of this. Not as good as the regular Speedway in my book but worth a try. (891 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +7%

Pours black like the night. Totally opaque. Head is tan, well carbonated, not overly so.

The aroma screams bourbon. It overpowers the coffee, chocolate and vanilla. The taste is very heavy bourbon, surprising, and amazing how much flavor the beer draws from its barrels. Definitly some coffee, and some hints of chocolate and vanilla. More aftertaste of coffee and initial hit of bourbon and warming alchohol.

All in all, fantastic. Like no beer I've ever had. The bourbon character really sticks out, to the point where every sip continues to surprise me. I split the bottle with a few friends who proclaimed it the best beer they ever had.

Highly recommended if you can get it. 2007 vintage. (696 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Bottle courtesy of mbrasi. Cheers mate!

P: 4.5 - 2006 edition. Now standard 750ml silk-screened brown glass bottle with gold foil and a notation in silver marker pen that says 2006 barrell aged 189/233.

A: This beer is a turbid dark black, with crimson edges, and an espresso whip foam head that lasts and has decent legs, lacing, and retention.

S: Big booze, bourbon, and wood. Dark malt, chocolate, and coffee are there but a bit subdued by the massive oak and bourbon character.

T: Big bourbon and oak again. Malts are big and provide bread, chocolate, and coffee notes. Coffee beans do their work in the mid palate, herbal green hops and hersheys chocolate syrup fight for dominance in the back palate. The booze, oak, and bourbon come back to meld everything together in the slightly warming finish.

M: Smooth and thick. Not over the top nor too chewy. A good mouthfeel for a beer this big. Just about right, if you ask me...

D: Exceptional. I love bourbon, vanilla, oak, chocolate, coffee, etc...and this one delivers big time with those flavors. I actually had a sample of the 2003 a while ago and the oak and bourbon just wasn't as fresh and this 2006 batch is just killer. Probably the best oak aged speedway batch that I have tasted thus far (I have not had the 2007 yet)

O: Super solid. 4.9 material here. Definitely a nice way to showcase the big, bolshy, oaky bourbon and booze flavors that one can achieve when barrell aging a beer. Is it a bit over the top and one dimensional....? YES! But to heathens like me, this is the perfect mid evening sipper before catching a My Bloody Valentine concert...

Thanks again mbrasi. (1,643 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +7.7%

'03 vintage received from seaoflament. Thank you, Carlos!

Appearance: From a 750ml bottle into a wine glass, the only suitable thing I had on hand at the place I drank this. The pour is dark chocolate brown, nearly black, with no head whatsoever. It sits in the glass viscous and opaque.

Smell: Chocolate and molasses. Moderate oxidation, but the good variety - there are no off aromas here. Rather, it's got a quality almost like vintage port or sherry. Wonderfully rich, sweet and dessert like.

Taste & mouthfeel: The first thing noticed is that there's no carbonation. The second thing noticed is that carbonation is completely unnecessary. The lack of bubbles only enhances the chocolatey richness and silky smooth mouthfeel. As the nose suggests, molasses is up front in the taste, with a strong undercurrent of chocolate and dark fruit. Coffee still comes through with surprising strength, especially in the finish, which dries the palate only slightly. Compared to fresh Speedway, all the rough edges have been smoothed; there's no trace of alcohol, low bitterness, no astringency; this is remarkably smooth beer. If not for the rarity (and strength), this would be downright quaffable.

Notes: This is the sort of beer that, before you try it, you have to wonder if it's all hype or if it actually merits all the praise. The answer is yes, it's worth every word of praise. Incredible stuff. (1,401 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +2.9%

Got this one from Joey in a recent trade, thanks a bunch man!

750 ml gold foil topped bottle poured into a snifter. Bottle #175/235 - 2006.

Pours a complete midnight black with a quick half finger dark brown head that fades to just about nothing. Swirling the glass leaves a few specks of lacing on the sides of the glass. Smell is coffee, booze, molasses, rich caramel, dark chocolates, vanilla, and wet oak. Lots of dark fruits in the nose as well; dates, fig, raisins, plums, and prunes. Extremely complex aroma, but I pretty much expected that. Taste, heavenly...Rich coffee flavors up front with sweet caramel and bourbon. Toffee, vanilla, and brown sugars midway with a good amount of oak. Aftertaste is roasted malts with bitter chocolate and more bourbon. The mouthfeel was a bit harsh which surprised me. I was expecting this one to be silky smooth, but there was a distinct sting to it that took away from the overall experience. Medium to full body with a mild carbonation. Wonderful complex flavors with nothing over the top that just gets better with some warmth. Thanks again Joey for the opportunity to try a beer I probably won't be able to obtain again anytime soon. (1,185 characters)

AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged from AleSmith Brewing Company