AleSmith Decadence 2005 Barrel Aged - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Decadence 2005 Barrel AgedAleSmith Decadence 2005 Barrel Aged

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 12-17-2006)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

ygtbsm94, Nov 15, 2011

pmarlowe, Nov 14, 2011

mikecharley, Nov 14, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Thanks for sharing this, Chris.

A: The pour is a murky amber color with a finger of off-white/khaki colored head.

S: Smells of bourbon and oak with tons of vanilla. Pretty typical Alesmith barrel aged beer nose. Dark fruits and booze with a mild tropical fruit note to it, strangely enough. Sweet toffee and caramel with a light toasted malt aroma. Plenty of oxidation, too.

T: Just like the aroma, the bourbon, vanilla, and oak characteristics are quite powerful. Lots of sweet malts, particularly toffee and caramel. A little bit of cherry with some other dark fruit notes such as plums and raisins.

M: Medium bodied with a sort of surprising amount of carbonation.

O: This was a bit too oxidized on the aroma and maybe too boozy. But, something I've really wanted to try. Glad to have done so.

womencantsail, Sep 02, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

8/29/2011

Thanks to Chris for sharing at Woodshop Classix.

A: Ruddy brown and murky with a fleeting white head.

S: I'm greeted by caramel and bread with rich toffee and a light cardboard presence. Bourbon is very light and there's a dash of vanilla. Much oak wafts from the glass.

T: Rich caramel blends with toffee, and once again the bourbon presence is light. There's still a little alcohol heat and a lower moderate earthy bitterness. Oak and vanilla are evident. There's more cardboard in the flavor than there was in the nose.

M: Upper medium body with lower moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is smooth and sticky with warming.

Overall: It was really nice to try this again, but it's undoubtedly far beyond its prime. Cardboard is taking control.

HopHead84, Aug 31, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

(111/124)

I have to be frank here and say that my review is going to be sub-par for multiple reasons, specifically that I was really more interested in basking in the moment as well as the fact that I was at least 10 tastes in at this point, so please, forgive me for my terrible notes.

Poured into my designated tasting glass from Cigar City Brewing, it appeared a rich dark chestnut brown with ruby/copper highlights and was very murky and speckled with sediment. I can't say much about the head, as I didn't pour it myself, and it was probably a good 2 or 3 minutes before I was able to really delve into it and take pictures, so judging solely from the photographs and what I've read about most extensively aged (as well as barrel aged) beers, I'm willing to deduce that what I saw when I was snapping shots is pretty much all there was. A few large bubbles submerged under smaller bubbles in a medium pearly, wheat-colored ring of foam hugged the glass while floating heavily on top of the liquid. As I drank the beer, there was no lacing left behind and no visible carbonation throughout.

Now that we're done with the easy visual part, I can't guarantee my opinions and findings with this beer, but I will try my damnedest to decipher my scribbled notes. As I stuck my nose in the glass, I initially came out with lots of vanilla, milk chocolate, and caramel, which made it seem very sweet. As I returned to the brew, thick oaky notes and pieces of syrupy brown sugar toffee floating in bourbon presented themselves alongside some deep, rich malts and slightly fainter dark fruits, namely raisins and figs, which I actually didn't find until after I had started tasting. Despite all of the very sweet components, the larger presence of the bourbon and oak really smoothed everything out without making it too mild or too heavy.

How am I doing so far? Not too shabby for a beer I had 3 days ago in the middle of a busy and delicious tasting, if I do say so myself. Now for the flavors. From what I remember without looking at my notes, and while reading through what I found in the nose, I think that the taste and the aroma were pretty similar and complimented each other in their similarities. According to my notes, the whole drink was ridiculously smooth and dominated by the bourbon and oak flavors. I found some faint dark fruit molasses (raisin and fig again, maybe some dates), quite a bit of vanilla and caramel, sweet dark malts, chocolate, toffee, and a very light doughy yeast that seemed a little out of place. I may have imagined the yeast altogether, but with all of the "specialty yeast strains" they used in this brew, I guess it shouldn't surprise me that some of it may have survived. Regardless, it wasn't a feature that would ever characterize this beer for me, so I'll just focus on the sweet, sweet dark and malty and bourbony love that poured from this bottle. I did enjoy that there wasn't a sweet aftertaste and that the mouthfeel was creamy without being thick or syrupy. The carbonation was lightly spicy, due in large part to the alcohol (11%) I'm sure, but over the course of my tasting, it actually felt rather soft, though far from flat. Overall, trying to tell that this Decadence was 11% alcohol was impossible. It was just too smooth in execution and too velvety in flavor, which made for one hell of an experience. I only wish that words could do it justice. This was definitely one of my favorite beers from the tasting and I am counting myself extremely lucky to have had this opportunity.

Lucklys, Apr 05, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

(750ml bottle shared at Dak's!!). I got the bottom of the bottle and all that deliciousness. Pours cloudy brown with tan head. Aroma had lots of bourbon notes still. Taste is sweet bourbon and vanilla mostly. Full bodied with a creamy texture. This is a super beer that has held up marvelously!

trappistlover, Apr 03, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a dark ruby with just a hint of wispy foam.
Smells super rich and dark. Tons of smoky wood, bourbon, sweet caramel, mild tannins. Taste falls a little short of the smell. Rich caramel, mild taste of the barrel, sweet and creamy.
Feels a bit thinner than I thought it would but very smooth.
Really nice to sip on a cool winter night. Thanks to Mcallister for sharing.

kirok1999, Dec 28, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

From the second release of this beer. Dank fine looking chestnut colored with a yellow head of 2 fingers fading quickly.

Amazing nose. Sweet english malts toffee, caramel, fig, date, raisin, prune, hints of oxidation, bourbon, toffee, wood hints of earth and brown sugar.

Whiskey shows through nicely with that woodsy toasted vanilla lusciousness. Date really shows throght with the fig and prune behind, brown sugar and mollasses. Not as sweet as the nose would indicate with only slight oxidation. Nice with some years to go still.
A sweet potato flavor as well.m

mcallister, Dec 28, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -48.9%

Wooof! I looked at the label to see if Brettanomyces was mentioned, so I can only conclude it's a less welcome bacteria in my bottle. Still some malt but mostly the back of the mouth sweet 'n' sour. Oddly salty, very bitter and not from hops. The longer that taste sits on my tongue the more I want a large glass of water. Sorry I didn't taste it sooner, or someone in San Diego is selling a case they kept in the metal shed. Apparently five years is too much for this one.

mactrail, Feb 17, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

I had the pleasure of obtaining a bottle of this wonderful beer and I chose specifically New Years eve to crack it open. Come hell or high water I was gonna try this beer. Served at cellar temp, bottle 127/280 this wonderful beer was decanted into an oversized wine glass and consumed on 12/31/2008.

The pour was very nice, a rich dark brown in color with a very cloudy nature to it. Some small sediment in the bottom of the glass and a light tuft of off white foam rising up over the top of the glass. Small retention left behind nothing more then a bare top on this one.

The aroma was loaded with vanilla and oak notes. Thick with barrel aged goodness, it was just spot on perfect for what I was hoping. Notes of toffee and caramel coming through very nicely as well as it warms. THe first taste was smooth as could be, age treated this one quite well. A wave vanilla and bourbon just washed over the tongue, smooth, subtle and inviting with a delicate warming as you sip. Each sip more complex then the one before it. Rich caramel and vanilla are dominating every sip. There was a mellow and subtle grain base here that left the last sip with a long vanilla backlash.

Overall this was a tremendously good beer, something that I was glad I got to try and was worth me tracking it down. I would gladly get this one again, it was just that damn good!

mikesgroove, Jan 02, 2009