AleSmith Decadence 2006 (Dead By Dawn) - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Decadence 2006 (Dead By Dawn)AleSmith Decadence 2006 (Dead By Dawn)

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.90% ABV

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 07-09-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Zbeetleman

05-15-2013 05:08:59 | More by Zbeetleman
sessycuban

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Opened one up to celebrate Stanford's win over U$C. Go Cardinal!

A - The beer pours a deep burgundy, with a large tan head This beer is crafted masterfully.

S - I'm smelling a lot of roasted malt and caramel. I'm also getting lesser hints of citrus and hops; also to be noted is the alcohol heat.

T - I'm getting a sweet, malty caramel flavor at first. As the beer warms, I'm getting a mix of caramel and citrus. The finish is very hoppy with a tinge of orange flavor. The alcohol heat in the note wasn't too present

M - The beer is medium-bodied, with moderate carbonation and slightly dry. Perfect.

D - The drinkability on this beer is fantastic; that is, if you can find it.

AleSmith never fails to impress.

10-08-2007 17:01:55 | More by sessycuban
ppoitras

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

750ml bottle purchased from Julio's, Westboro, MA. Gold foiled cap.

Poured into a heavy glass chalice, formed a 1" tan head above the cloudy red brew. Frothy head lasts and lasts long into the drinking experience, with minimal but delicate lacing. Aroma is sweetly malty, yet also exhibits tons of piney hops. Taste starts with the expected sweet malt character, quickly is tempered by the hops, and then hops carry on and dominate the remainder. Note that nutty notes do pop up in the aftertaste, and only add to it all. All told, the flavors work superbly with each other. Mouthfeel and drinkability are excellent as well. Wish I could lay my hands on more of this.

08-27-2007 00:51:17 | More by ppoitras
sfoley333

Brazil

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from 750 ml bottle bought from pizza ports bottle shop into a duvel snifter. Color was dark red with some brown hues and the head was a big lacy off white cloud of malty goodness. Aroma of roasted malt, toffee, bread pudding and spices with a slight hint of over ripe fruit. Taste of rainer cherries, carmel, with a nutty bitterness all pefectly married by the alcohol that doesnt over power. Mouth feel is thick and sweet without being overdone. I've tried alot of ale smith beers and this with speedway stout are my favorite. Wish I could drink this beer for the rest of my life.

09-19-2007 05:50:21 | More by sfoley333
likestoswallow

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Picked up this 750ml bottle at the brewery. This beer pours a dark, almost opaque, brown. The head is ample and khaki colored, and dissipates very slowly. Aroma is very pronounced sweet anise and some cedar. Taste features toasted oats, figs, raisins, mild hops, toffee, caramel and black walnuts. Mouthfeel is smooth, slightly syrupy and very silky. Overall a very pleasant fullness to the palate. The finish is long and glorious with rich malts, caramel and hops.The whole experience has a ground engaged earthiness. This is a fine decadent beer. Highly recommended.

10-16-2007 19:45:20 | More by likestoswallow
Trueant1

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a thick pancake batter like head that coats the side of my st. Bernardus chalice.
Pours deep red color. Sits in the glass a perfect burgendy red. Looks superb!

The aroma when I opened this was off the scale!
Sweet toffie malts and ..this beer is 4 years old by now and smells of fresh hops! WOW!

The taste is beer perfection. Bready malts, with dark fruits that balance out by intence hop bitterness. Almost a chocolatey flavor. Even some licorice and figs. A lot going on here. Alcoholic bite on the aftertaste being balanced by the hops.

Mouthfeel is thick and coats the whole mouth like a milkshake. My only gripe ..if there really is one...is too much carbonation.

Drinkability is awsome for a 10% beer.

Wish they would brew this masterpiece again!

03-13-2008 01:43:13 | More by Trueant1
Stoneman78

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

A- Pours a cloudy, dark red/brown hue with a huge off-white creamy/craggy head and foamy thick lacing that sticks to the glass
S- Nose is of big sweet malts, primarily caramel and some toffee/brown sugar, some citrus hops in the background, dark fruits and a hint of alcohol as well, very unique and well-balanced aroma that is quite remarkable
T- Initial taste is of fruits (cherries mostly) and followed quickly by caramel malts, that open up to citrus hops, finishes with some bittering hops and a warm alcohol burn that lingers, truly exceptional
M- Full-bodied complex strong ale, thick and syrupy texture that coats the tongue, nicely carbonated
D- Big, bold Imperial Red/Strong Ale that has a high abv that is best enjoyed in smaller quantities, Decadence is another top-notch offering from Peter Zein and the brewers at Alesmith, one of my favorites SD breweries that sometimes get overshadowed by Stone and Port Brewing, I would rank this as one of top beers in this style and would definitely pick it up again in the future

09-14-2007 05:23:53 | More by Stoneman78
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

Wow, what can I say. For a South Carolina BA to have a bottle of this chillin in the fridge, in of itself is a miracle. To be able to sit and chill and enjoy it is a whole nother one! This just looks nice, big heavy 750ml bottle, foiled over the cap. Smooth slick looking design, gives you the chills. You know you are in for a heavy hitter with this one for sure. So we pop it open and see what we find...

A - Pours a very hazy and thick dark brown. Lots of red tones to it as well. Pretty much opaque, there was a tiny bit of light that was shining though on the bottom, but I stress a tiny tiny bit of light. A huge tow inch plus head formed on the top almost immediatly, then withered down to just a thin layer of lace that stayed on top for the rest of the session. A good amount of side glass lace was also present for this one. Looked very thick and mean, Dead by dawn for sure...

A - Smell was wonderfully sweet, almost candy like in its sweetness. Lots of notes of sugar and caramel. Sweet cotton candy of candy apple to go along with it. A slight note of hops, but soo sweet it more then drowns that out. Reminds me alot of Big Hoppy Monster at this point, but we will see where that goes.

T - Wow, this is a damn sweet beer. Total sugar overload from the start. This was Big Hoppy on roids. Lots of candy and caramel tones were destroying the taste buds from the first moment you sipped it. A great bitter hoppy finish came on a little bit later, some orange cream sickle and vanilla tones were present. Definatly a major compelx brew here, this was worked on extensivly Lots of malts made up the back, but the hoppy tones more then equaled. Super sweet maple syrup like on the dront. Really good brew, no hint of alcohol at all, none that I could etect, at 10% abv, WOW.

M - perfect is about the only word that comes to mind here. It started out highly carbonated, giving it the silky feeling as it went down. As it warmed and settled a bit, it took on a more serious and syrupy tone. Very thick, but yet light enough to go down well. This was truly a unique consistency and a faboulous beer. I cannot say enough good things here.

D - Just great. The only reason I did not give a five was because we know how strong it is. Otherwise I would be drinking this all night every night. Simply fantastic. If I could improve this I do not know how I could. It was just that good.

Overall, I really just don't know what else I can say. It was too damn close to being perfect. It was the best red ale I have ever had, by far. Not a touch of alcohol could ever be found throughout the bottle, which I ended up finishing myself in a night with ease. I have tried three beers from Alesmith and they are all in my top 10 so something good is definatly going on over there. Keep up the good work, I will keep seeking them out!

08-20-2007 01:49:52 | More by mikesgroove
EvilStar33

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

08-10-2013 02:29:50 | More by EvilStar33
mcallister

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Tried this on cask at the Alesmith BA release party and one word can easily describe this experience. Amazing!!!

Deep rich burgundy with a mocha head that hangs and hangs around. Best looking red I've ever seen.

Amazing fruit inspired nose of pure bliss. Freshly squeezed orange juice blended with grapefruit. Thick malty toffee with more tropical fruit notes. Quince, papaya and lemon.

Thick sweet juicy toffee malt. Creamy and full mouth oozing with orange juicy flavors as well as grapefruit and hints of fig and pineapple. A phenomenal beer so complex and delicious it should be illegal. If only I could buy a cask or ten of this.

Serving type: cask

10-01-2007 23:26:40 | More by mcallister
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

Sampled on 10-30-07

I thought this beer was just right for all-Hallows eve.

A huge deep tan head has amazing staying power as it slowly fades from a full three fingers. It leaves scattered lace on the glass. Body is a "evil" deep blackish red, with the red hints only showing on the edges. Nose has seet yeasty spices that remind me of smickerdoodle cookies, sweet dark fruits maybe rasins and dates, with some oily hops. A very rich complex darkness enters the mouth on first sip. Burnt malt brings with it dark thick fruity notes and a very soft but consistant spicey feel. I also pick up a slight piney crisp hop character on the finish. The mouthfeel is decently thick and nicely numbing. Alchol is not up front and very well received. I was glad I picked this one it was spooky good.

04-01-2008 22:55:24 | More by SPLITGRIN
Overlord

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

I managed to snag a bunch of these recently.

Pours with a huge head and a delightful orange/amber color that strangely enough seems lighter on the bottom than at the top.

Perfect amount of carbonation. The hops are not overpowering at all, but are integrated perfectly with a stronger than I expected fruit flavor. Grapefruit is the overriding fruit I detect, but there are definitely some exotics here I can't put a name to. The smell is delightful. Everything is in harmony, and while the hops are definitely noticeable the drink's main characteristic is that of a sweet malty/fruit flavored beer. Barely a hint of alcohol, which is stunning at a beer with this high of an ABV.

A sublime drink. I think I'll go ahead and pick up a bunch more tomorrow, as this is one of the finest beers I've ever had.

**After trying this a second and third time, I'm increasing the score. Simply incredible flavor: ounce for ounce, the most flavorful non-stout I've ever had.

08-15-2007 05:19:11 | More by Overlord
DmanGTR

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

A huge thank you to an exceedingly generous BA for bringing this to our tasting. Review from notes.

Lovely garnet, quite clear, with a slight head that diminished quickly to a ring. Oh my, this is a sweet beer. I can tell just from the aroma. A burst of caramel, brown sugar, dates, and English toffee. Ever so slight hint of cocoa, but very slight indeed. This beer is immensely sweet, yet immensely delicious. There is no satisfactory description. Layers of goodness from the initial caramel, followed closely by toffee and plums, then a layer of what reminded me slightly of maple cognac, and finally, a long lasting and lingering sweet finish. Goodness, there should be no end to this beer. Carbonation is approaching the lower end of the spectrum, but it works nicely for this beer. Excellence indeed.

01-27-2011 06:21:36 | More by DmanGTR
Mryup

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

My second stint with this beer. Ive given it two years to properly age. I am excited.

A: A gentle pour into my Duvel tulip glass provides a lingering 1/4 toasted/Whopper malt head. A deep rich engrossing brown with reddish hews dancing about here and there. Note: use a champagne flute and it looks EPIC! It strikes me as under the radar. You have to focus to notice the subtle hints of greatness.

S: Wow...hops jump out at you first. Ive spent a good amount of time acquainting my schnoz with this. A complex symphomatic plethora of boldness that includes citrusy hops, tart fruit (strawberry in particular), some subtle nutty characteristics and some caramel malt tones. It smells incredibly well balanced but we shall see...

T: Berry and melon fruits attack with an equal measure of hops/resins. Nutty, aleish, alcoholic esters flank the taste buds. Cantalope in particular with strawberry. On a complexity scale about a 7.8. Well balacned and bold.

M: Medium/heavy with perfect CO2. Goes unexpectedly dry which isn't bad but it just seems like...I don't know...it seems as if the ending could of had more.

D: This is a heavy hitter. A true no holds barred sipper. But consider the style and ABV.

Another great brew from Ale Smith which will be underapprietiated because of its uniqueness.

Serving type: growler

08-18-2008 05:50:49 | More by Mryup
jakon

Oregon

4.65/5  rDev +11%

750ml bottle purchased for $11.99 on 10-3-7 at Belmont Station.

Pours muddy red with an ample tan colored head that slowly collapses on itself at a steady pace leaving a loose web of lacing. The aroma is supreme. Very bold and inviting. Marshmallows, yeast, caramel malt, butterscotch and tropical fruits such as mango and pineapple dominate. Tasted at 53 degrees, this beer is superb. What an incredibly luscious mouthfeel. Very thick and massaging with a perfect carbonation level. Very rich malt flavors step in front of the hops and make it clear that this is their show. Though the hops are vying for attention the whole time and do step to the forefront and make their presence felt towards the end. The lingering bitterness is needed to keep the sweetness in check and prevent things from becoming cloying at all. Great balancing act here. The alcohol is cowering in the corner behind this abundance of flavors. This brew was aptly named. I'd take this over the finest desserts the culinary world has to offer, and would argue that this is one of them.

10-07-2007 02:15:24 | More by jakon
Phocion

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

750ml bottle poured into a pint glass. Somewhat of a sloppy pour on my part, and I was shocked to see an entire half the glass filled with a huge, massive rocky brown head. A whole five minutes later, it finally falls to around a finger, with huge but intermittent root-beer-float-like lacing all around this dark ruby-brown beer.

I'm not sure what to expect with an "Imperial Red" ale, but dammit this thing smells amazing. Huge malty aroma, with a very sweet, sticky caramel and brown sugar flavor working beautifully with a healthy dose of roasted malts. And it may be somewhat in the background (perhaps because of the age?), but there's still a nice piney hoppiness to this beer as well.

The taste on this thing is almost like a barleywine with an extra shot of caramel. The hops bill is a little bit more complex than the nose let on, with a bit of citrus in the background. Roasted malts, tobacco, and dark fruits also make their way up to the front. Somewhat of a nuttiness almost reminiscent of an English brown ale (on steroids of course) in the aftertaste. Almost unbelievably, despite weighing in at a massive 9.9% ABV, I can hardly even tell.

Somewhat chewy mouthfeel, but still very smooth. This is a truly amazing beer, and the only thing that hinders the drinkability is knowing that I only have one more bottle, and I am beginning to question whether or not I should trade it. Definitely in my top-10 list, Alesmith does it again...

09-08-2008 20:42:32 | More by Phocion
Estarrio

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

After an economically induced hiatus, I was elated to make a pilgrimage to Julio's with my good friend Sudsdog. As I am in a mood to be decadent, I decided to give this one a go...

This brew pours a translucent, ruddy brown with shades of amber in the light. A quick pour resulted in a frothy, beige colored head. The head is both sticky and persistent. A gentle swirl of the glass showcases the viscosity of the lacings, which resemble buoyant grains of sand.

A huge malt backbone is evident in the nose. Sweet caramel and subtle chocolate scents blend seamlessly with hints of gold raisins and overripe pears. A gentle but full spiciness confirms the presence of hops.

As the nose would suggest, the taste begins with copious amounts of caramel and malt flavors. Red grape and plum flavors provide an estery compliment to the sweet malt. The hops are poignant, bitter, spicy and in perfect balance with the malt and esters. Hints of pine and citrus offer a welcome diversion. A sweet, earthy dough presence reminds me of the miracles of fermentation as I slowly sip on this quaffable brew. The aftertaste is both sweet and spicy and introduces some hints of cherry.

This is a full-bodied brew with a light syrup viscosity and a creamy mouthfeel. The creamy carbonation, depth and balance of this beer makes for a dangerously drinkable treat at nearly 10% Without question, I do feel decadent as I sip and enjoy.

07-21-2007 22:48:39 | More by Estarrio
yemenmocha

Arizona

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

2006 Decadence, tasted winter 2009.

Pours hazy dark brown with enormous light tan head. Head retains for an eternity, and certainly enhances the aromatics.

Nose is sour cherries with that powdery scent from a freshly opened package of marshmallows.

Palate offers soft, chewy caramel-cherry malt with no signficant hop flavors, unless of course that is the source of the cherry. Full bodied, incredibly creamy as it coats the palate, and finishes with some sourness. Alcohol is relatively muted, considering how strong it is.

01-10-2009 02:56:29 | More by yemenmocha
IntriqKen

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours with a large head of tan bubbles atop the reddish/brown ale. Bubbles last a long time and leave a pretty lacing on the sides of the glass as you drink.

Aromas are mainly dark malt with a touch of citrus hops and a little nuttiness.

Taste is a wonderful balance between the intense roasted hops and some really nice citrus hops. Lots of Pacific Hop presence in the end but never bitter or overpowering...just wonderfully balanced with the dark roasted malts which are very sweet but again, not overwhelming.

I think this may be one of the most balanced "big" or Imperial beers I've had. Great job (once again) Alesmith.

02-02-2008 03:46:21 | More by IntriqKen
tonistruth

Nevada

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

A- 3 finger fluffy tan head with outstanding retent, auburn to copper in color

S- toasted malts, toffee, nutty, caramel, rich

T- rich caramel, toffee, toasted malts, butterscotch, sweet molasses, well balanced and decently complex

M- full body and smooth, sticky, slight alcoholic heat at finish through after

D- amazing brew, rich and delicious, what a treat it is to drink this, stop reading this review and get some

10-01-2007 02:13:42 | More by tonistruth
sorvats

01-10-2012 03:30:43 | More by sorvats
barefootbrewer

Mississippi

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

A: This beer poured a deep amber/red color with a huge tan head and nice lacing.

S: The smell was deep and malty. Some toffee, caramel and date notes were highlighted.

T: WOW! Malty and well....decadent. It is malty, caramel and slightly sour.

M: The mouthfeel is full and velvety. Some carbonation is noticeable. It also has a slight warming effect from the alcohol.

D: This beer is simply delicious. It is complex and somewhat difficult to describe.

01-31-2009 18:47:40 | More by barefootbrewer
RustyDiamond

Georgia

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured this puppy into my Strong Beer Month 2005 goblet. Gorgeous brown-red with a reddish-white head. First sip was almost sweet than anything else. As the beer warmed, the smooth hoppiness came though. Very balanced. All said, a very easy drinking/complex beer for 9.9% in July Atlanta heat.

07-29-2007 19:11:16 | More by RustyDiamond
orfeu

New Mexico

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

I haven't yet picked up any of this year's Great Lakes Nosferatu, so my 2007 Halloween beverage will be this bottle of AleSmith's 11th Anniversary ale (many thanks to BeerTruth for the trade).

Massive khaki-sand foam, all sticky, dense, and fat atop a slightly hazy chestnut brown body with steady carbonation. The head meringues like a champ -- a very nice looking beer. Spruce and tangerine gasp for breath beneath a sweet brown sugar aroma, with earthy and vegetal notes popping in every so often. Caramel and brown sugar flavors are expertly balanced by floral-citric and earthy hop bitterness. Fantastic pine tingle in my nostrils from the burps. Some sherry aspects appear now and again, lending to this beer's special character. Firm, almost sticky mouthfeel with a dry-but-on-the-heavy-side finish. I'm reminded of their IPA somehow, and my guess is it's the yeast (maybe the hop blend, but that doesn't sound right). This is, of course, much closer to a barleywine, but I suppose that's beside the point. In any case, it's making me think of my yearly March (the midst of Buffalo's winter) vacation to Tucson where AleSmith beers are widely available (or were, anyway...). Long story short: this one works for me quite well. A very enjoyable beer, well worth seeking out.

11-01-2007 02:38:24 | More by orfeu
Wasatch

Utah

750ml Gold Tin

Thanks goes out to Callenak for this brew.

Poured into a chalice a nice deep clear mahongny color, nice carbonation, very nice thick creamy one finger tan head, which leaves some nice thick islands and sticky lacing. The nose is malty, slight hop, good dose of figs, raisins, plums, and caramel. The taste is just awesome to say the least, malty, slight hop, sweet, nice touch of tangyness from the fruit, slightly chewy, and some caramel notes. The ABV is hidden very well. Full body. Very drinkable, it's been awhile since I've had an AleSmith brew, but they are still very very tasty, this one was an extra from Street. This is not a kick in your face ASA, but smooth, delicious, flavorful ASA. If you can find some in your area, definitely pick it up. Thanks again Street.

12-02-2007 21:09:55 | More by Wasatch