AleSmith Speedway Stout - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway StoutAleSmith Speedway Stout

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith Speedway Stout Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to FosterJM for sending me this big-time Want.

750ml bottle poured into a snifter

A: Opaque black with a very inviting 1 finger mocha head. Head settles to leave a thin cap plus ring around the edge. Although the viscosity of the pour and appearance of the head hinted at creaminess..it looks to be on the oily side. Some lacing evident.

S: Dark chocolate, dark fruit, espresso, vanilla, cinnamon, licorice and roasted black malt.

T: Delicious. A creamy cup of coffee but with so much more. Chocolate and vanilla is in there...the dark fruit is in there. The unfermented malt provides a slight sugary sweetness but it’s far from cloying. Finishes with lovely roasted black malt and a touch of cinnamon.

M: Very balanced. Body is above medium and the carbonation is pleasing.

O: I’m forced to compare this to my all-time favorite coffee stout, Founders Breakfast Stout, and this delivers. It’s got all the flavor of FBS but slightly less bitterness and it just feels more luxurious. Easy to drink for such a complex beer...although I’d prefer it to come in a more manageable size....especially at 12% ABV.

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

I’ve had this one cellaring for a few months now and decided I couldn’t wait any longer.

The head is a light brown and the body pure black. It smells of chocolate and coffee. It is the coffee taste that hits you right away, too. Hints of roasted barley and molasses, maybe even a little nutty flavor in there somewhere, but it is all lost to the coffee and chocolate overtones. The finish is pure dark chocolate goodness that continues to linger on the tip of the tongue for at least ten seconds.

As it warms, the bitterness extends to the back of the tongue and even the roof of the mouth and gets stronger on the finish. You can definitely taste the alcohol in the aftertaste more as it warms, but it never overpowers, as the other tastes become more profound as well. Mouthfeel is almost like carbonated melted chocolate, very creamy. It coats the palate completely.

This is a delicious beer, and I must say one of my favorites. I have another bottle that is cellaring and I am interested in how the tastes will age, but I think this can't get much better. For the style, it is hard to beat.

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a snifter. Jet black with a tan, one-finger head that leaves some lace as it fades into a thin ring around the edges.

Aroma is mainly a combo of dark chocolate and a lighter, sweeter milk chocolate. I don't really smell any coffee at all. Taste, however is different. Very rich and chocolaty with a finish like a cup of coffee but not as bitter. Very little alcohol presence. This is absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel is creamy and has the consistency of what I imagine motor oil to have. Drinkability is fantastic for such a high ABV. The lack of a strong alcohol presence plus the creamy chocolate sweetness are probably the reason I'm bogarting the whole 750ml. Hopefully my wife won't be too mad.

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours black as a starless night with a thickness that is evident in the pour. It is capped with a fluffy mocha head that slowly melts into the viscous black liquid. The aroma is full of roasted coffee and the darkest coca, as well as a dark malty sweetness and a hint of licorice. The flavor is wonderful. Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt, burnt marshmallow sweetness, licorice, molassas and a touch of chalkiness. All the flavors are well incorporated and the alcohol is well hidden, though it warms nicely as it settles in my stomach. Also, as this beer warms I realize just how bitter it is. Strangely, this bitterness is not overwhelming and works with, and not against the roastyness. The mouthfeel is also wondrous and is full, chewy and smooth. The finish is both sticky and slick at the same time, but just right for style. Very drinkable and just delicious. So far Alesmith is 2-2 and I will definitely be picking some of this up for friends to sample.

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle via trade with Blankboy. This beer is huge. Jet black pour with brown head. Aroma is super rich, coffee with also lots of licorice, molasses and also something vanilla about it too. Taste is just awesome rich coffee flavors, with some vanilla smoothness great bitter/sweet mix. Palate is perfectly creamy with just enough carbonation, one of the best I've had.

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Ok, I have had this before, but it was a 4 year old bottle, this bottle is a fresh new arrival at my local store. Happy to see Alesmith again!

Pours a deep flat black color with a huge tan head. Looks wonderful.

Nose is of dark heavily roasted malts, a fresh cup of coffee, and some dark chocolate.

First sip, wow... This is full flavored! Lots of coffee, more so than a lot of coffee beers I have had before, but it's not overly strong. I taste what reminds me of those chocolate covered coffee beans, some dark sugar, cream, and some bitterness on the finish. No hints of heat from the alcohol at all.

Mouthfeel is quite good, this is a bit viscous, but not to thick. It's actually quite smooth too.

Overall, an outstanding beer. I think it's much better than the aged one I had a few years ago. I think this is a beer best consumed fresh. I'm impressed, but that is something that Alesmith does often to me while drinking their brews.

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

750ml bottle split between two. served in my sweetwater pint.

Thanks Ryan011235 for the bottle

A- pours jet black with 1/2 finger of fluffy tan head. no light penetrating this one.

S- the aroma isn't the most overwhelming ever, but it has some very nice roasted/coffee notes. with some sweet cocoa floating in the backround. some molasses/licorice possibly in there as well.

T- the first sip is absolutely awesome. same as the aroma, the roasted malts/coffee flavors lead the charge but the chocolate is quite heavy as well. more bitter than your average stout, even a coffee stout. the aftertaste is pure espresso, making this one all around fantastic. The beer is very well balanced as well.

M/D- not the creamiest of Impy stouts but it's definitely not thin by any means. a nice subtle carbonation blends in perfectly with the beer. 12%??? this beer drinks as smooth as any imperial stout out there. with that extra couple percentage points it scores some points as a dangerously easy drinking stout.

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

750ml silver foiled wrapped bottle poured into a oversized wine glass. Big thanks to Gtreid for bringing this one over.

A- solid black. No light can pass through this thing. 1 1/2 of head. Pretty good retention and lacing.

S- roasted malts, chocolate, sweetness maybe molasses?? Not as much coffee smell as I wouldve expected, however, there is a hint of coffee beans.

T- FANTASTIC!!! Creamy chocolate. Roasted malts and a vanilla coffee blend that is just freaking awesome. I wouldve never guessed that the abv is so high because of the wonderful balance of all the flavors. They mask the alcohol and I barely know it's even there.

M- Simply perfect. This is one of the smoothest, creamiest stouts I have drank.
D- I wish I could have this brew everyday. I would drink this all night if I could. The only problem would be the high abv. I def will be seeking this one out again without a doubt.

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle and split between a pint glass and a chalice. I have been aging this bottle in the back of my pantry for 4 months, and couldn't wait any longer.

A= Black as night. Deep ruby red along the edges. Orange-brown thick foamy head. Pint glass had a three finger head, and the chalice had a four finger head. I don't know if that had to do with the order I poured them or not. The head slowly dissipated and became chunky and rocky. A thin orange blanket stuck around throughout the experience.

S= There's a great balance of aromas here. At first dried cherries and raisins hit the nose. A lot of earthy/mossy and espresso coffee notes fill nose when whiffed.

T= Strong bitter espresso hits the tongue initially. This is balanced by very tart dried fruits in the aftertaste. As it warms, you get mouthfuls of bittersweet chocolate. Very delightful.

M= Medium-heavy body. Coats and cools, yet the high ABV leaves your palate warm.

D= This one is a sipper. Savor it. It is excellent as soon as you pour it, but it gets even better as it warms. The high ABV it not for the faint at heart. I recommend sharing it with fellow advocate.

Side Note: I hope this doesn't negate my review...Try a splash of it over vanilla ice cream. Goodbye Hershey's syrup!

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

The bottle I'm about to consume has been in my possession for about one year. The price tag is still attached to it: $8.99. I have a long trip ahead with a beer of this volume (750 ml) and strength (12% ABV). On to the beer:

Poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip, this beer is darker than black, the body being very thick, and an initial tan colored head on top, which fades to a lightly tinted cap. Some smoke in the nose, and a strong alcohol note. Molasses and chocolate makes a presence in the aroma as well.

Exceptionally smooth in the mouth, and viscous, but not too viscous. There's a little booze in the body, but not as boozy as the nose. Plenty of roasted coffee with a sweet touch of baker's chocolate. Like coffee liquer. Smoke and peat are mixed in.

Now it's becoming easier to drink. After a few ounces, this beer becomes easier to approach. The flavors meld together better, there's little interruption from the alcohol and coffee...this is becoming a favorite of mine. I can taste fudge brownies in here. Is this exceptional as far as drinkability goes, or merely very good?

Is it healthy to mix a high ABV stout with coffee? If it isn't, I'm in trouble, as it is one of my favorite kinds of beer, and this offering is one of the most accessable. Another world class offering from AleSmith, and the best beer I've had since....well, since I had Pliny the Younger 27 hours ago.

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

A-Pours an all-encompasing dark color. No light penetrates the edges of this brew. The darker tan head sits atop the brew and slowly fades. There is some lacing as well. Looks frightening.

S-Unbelievable dark roasty malted flavor. Big, big chocolate and coffee. Smells like a gigantic booze-coffee mutant. Alcohol is present but is not a detractor seeing as the beer is so big.

T-Super assertive. Quite like the nose with the roastiness, chocolate, coffee/espressso attack. The taste lingers and lingers forever. An absolute monster. Speedway Stout has one of the most in your face tastes I have come across. Tastes like Kahlua but way more awesome.

M-Sludgy and viscous. Light carbonation. Slick. Just how a big boy stout should feel.

D-Can't stop sipping. Especially at %12. I am shocked by its drinkability.

I find the Founders makes some hardcore stouts but this one plants itself right next to the top for me.

Pint at the Tap Room in Pacific Beach

I was stoked to find these for 4 bucks a pop, considering they are about 10 dollars for a 750ml bottle in the stores

This beer was pitch black with a thick tan head and was the best stout I have ever had

Too much flavor to even describe, the coffee bite really tops it off

If I was not so full from dinner, I probably could have drank more, will definitely be drinking more of these in the future

Great beer with a dessert

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

I waited a long time to my lay a hand on this one and finally found in on a trip to So. California. This poured BLACK. Not dark brown but black with no light at all even on the edges and threw up a very fat tan head that lasted a long time. Nose is very powerful and of coffee and chocolate. Very thick mouthfeel. Flavor is rich roasted malts with the chocolate and coffee in abundance. Finish is dry and bitter. Simply amazing stuff. Maybe my best stout ever. I loved this stuff.

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Review number 300 and I figured I would hit up the Speedway for this one. Been saving this one for a while and I have to thank Reino for sending me the bottle a while back. 750ml bottle served up in my Terrapin snifter. Lets get this party started.

A: This brew pours slowly and thick from the bottle. This beer is black, letting no light through and is completely opaque. A semi-vigorous pour yields a finger of thick, bubbly dark brown head that has some decent retention. Really tight bubbles on top that are really frothy. Lacing sticks to the glass very nicely. Very nice and the start I was looking for.

S: This one smells greatly of some nice, big time chocolate. So much chocolate in this nose. The coffee is there but does not over power the chocolate. The crazy thing is that you can actually get bit of the grain through the chocolate, coffee and nicely roasted malt characters. There is also a touch of bourbon coming out from the alcohol notes. Smells good.

T: Taste is awesome. The chocolate is rich and creamy, not unlike an awesome milkshake. Stupid rich. Coffee is nicely roasted with just a touch of bitterness that cuts the sweetness a touch. Roasted malts round off the heavy flavors with some sweet, roasted goodness. There is also a nuttiness that reminds me of some good hazelnut. Also a touch of nougat. This is stupid good.

M: This is a major, full bodied brew that means business. This beer is chewy and may be the thickest, creamiest beer I have ever enjoyed. Just an incredibly beautiful creaminess. Carbonation is light but there. Aftertastes are of some malt and coffee. ABV is present with a wonderful, slow warming from the stomach, but really no heat on the throat or palate. Amazing.

D: This beer is truly amazing. IMO, it lives up to the hype surrounding it and I can only imagine how good the barrel aged offerings are. This beer is just crazy in the flavor and feel categories and better than solid in every other category. Another amazing thing about this beer is how easy it is to drink for a 12% Imperial Stout. I will be enjoying the rest of this bottle with true gluttony and raise my glass to Reino for providing this gem.

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from the 750ml bottle a dark black with a very attractive thick, lasting tan head. In just the glass, this brew is amazing.

Smell is incredible, chocolate, caramel, and a boatload of coffee. Taste follows right along with chocolate and strong espresso up front, followed by a very creamy coffee taste, almost like a coffee with cream was poured into a strong stout. Full body with amazingly complex flavor notes. Hops are perfectly balanced, and a wonderful alcohol spice finishes it off perfectly. This beer is all about balance, and with every sip, I taste something new. As it warms, it's magical, every sip delving deeper into the already complex.

As for drinkability, I think that kinda goes without saying. I drank this bottle without any problem at all, and could have gone on to another, if not for the alcohol. It's more of a sipping beer, and one to savor.

Absolutely incredible!!

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

jet black with a dark tan head that held amazingly well and left tons of lace. this is what i want my stouts to look like. just a wonderful beer all around. coffee, followed by chocolate and earthy roasty malt in the nose. taste is superbly balanced and has a little hop kick in the finish followed by a nice warmth that ensues post finish. full bodied. insanely drinkable for being as high abv as it is. one of my favorite breweries of all time. beyond good.

Poured from a 750ml bottle

A- pours a pitch black color... big tan head... stays for minutes.... very sticky lacing to the glass

S- bitter sweet chocolate front, roasty coffee grains...charcoal in the back... hint of anise with a little black liquorice funk

T- sweet bitter chocolate... coffee domincace... as I drink this the 12% presents itself...and quite a bit it does... lingering coffee roastyness

M- thick full body... creamy feel... oily on the tongue... prickly carbonation... bitter balance

O- one of the best imperial stouts out there... very rare in my area so when it's here... you better grab it....

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So, I've had a really shitty day (my ceiling fell in because of a water leak) and my Astros have been sucking hardcore. So, I really need a BIG beer to pop the universe out of this slump. So, here is #BOTG 50! Alesmith Speedway Stout!

Poured from 750ml bottle (presumably 2011?) into my CBS snifter. Pours a wicked black oil like thickness and color, a dark tan/brown bubbly foam gurgles off the top of the head. This looks like a mean bastard of an Imp Stout. Smell- dark chocolate, dark fruit (reminds me in some ways of Black Metal with the yeast?) Booze definitely present. What I can't get out of this is the presence of coffee. Really nice aroma. Taste- whoa. Sweet dark chocolate bitterness blasts the back of my mouth. The roast coffee is the lighter note, its there on the end as well, and just melds perfectly with the aggressive bitter chocolate notes. Warming alcohol warms my chest- this is pretty assertive, a quality I like in my big stouts. The carbonation is appropriate here too. Overall, I'm real pleased with this one, will be sipping it and rooting on my Astros tonight!

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%

the unfortunately over the top appearance of the bottle does not do justice to the rich and pleasing brew within. hardly a pitstop quickfix by any means. poured a thick black as night syrup but disappointingly small and dissipating head (which is expected with a whopping 12% abv but still...). smell was intoxicating coffee aroma but little malt to accompany it. the taste brought out the incredible maltiness that combined perfectly with the roasted coffee, and it warmed up to an even more cohesive ensemble of taste. hard to imagine that this is indeed 12% abv, and served at near room temperature, still a heavenly explosion of taste in my mouth.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on draft at the Pizza Port in Ocean Beach. I have had this beer a few times before but it has been a long while and I have never reviewed it. Pours a jet black with a decent tan head. As others have said, decent amount of carbonation for an Imperial Stout. Aromas of coffee, chocolate, molasses and raisins. This beer is huge on the palate, the coffee comes through but so does a serious amount of sweetness and a bit of booze as well. However, the alcohol level, while present (as it should be in a 12% abv beer) is kept in check by the sweetness and intensity of the other flavors present. Overall this is as well balanced as a huge over the top Imperial Stout can be. One of the first "extreme" beers I had when I was really starting to get into craft beer 5 or 6 years ago and it still holds up well.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured with the color and viscosity of motor oil. Darker in fact. Coaxing a head out of this baby was next to impossible but once I stopped pouring, a tiny swirl of mocha bubbles came forth from the depths of the jet-black elixir. Smell was intense to say the least. Deep, dark, chocolate, sweet, overripe cherries, scorched toffee, chocolate-covered peanuts, dark-roast coffee, and a kiss of anise. Sublime. Taste... holy crap, it's as good as I imagined. Hella chocolatey up front, intermixed with the darkest, sweetest, ripest of fruits. Brandy-like at times as a result. Nicely peppery in the middle. Finishes of over-sugared, bitter, dark-roast coffee that hangs in the back of your throat until you're ready for your next sip. Shit, this stuff tastes like morning and night. Immediately warms the insides yet the ABV is masked as well as anyone could mask in such a monstrosity of a beer. Carbonation is practically non-existent. Mouth is full and silky. Am I dreaming? A godlike offering.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Deep dark brown with a brown beige creamy head, about two fingers high. Once swirling the glass there's no doubt about this beer's viscosity. It's positively thick.

Right of the bat the beer is a great deal more nuanced than I had anticipated, very meditative. At one fell swoop the beer is clearly high in its intensity. There's almost this mineral aroma of wet asphalt that brings a certain freshness to the nose. Vastly pronounced and complex malt aromas of chocolate malt, dark chocolate and coffee. Very roasted and attractive. Adding to the scent stratum is a slightly smoked hints of charketurie and a subtle green component.

On the palate the beer is tremendously well composed. There's a tickly syrupiness on the top of my tongue, and like with music, Speedway Stout has a substantial mid-range feel that joins together high nuanced elegance with deep roasted malt characteristics. The mid-palate is justly rounded and thick. The best is yet to come, the aftertaste. Like something heavy, the aftertaste is bound to sit on my palate while I fully enjoy every bit of it. Structurally this stout ends in a massive complex form of bitter, fine sweetness and long flavors. First there's coffee-like bitterness supplemented by a sort of not at all unpleasant flower-like bitterness.

It is complex, concentrated and yet elegant for a 12% ABV Imperial Stout. The length is perfected in terms of structure. The alcohol mainly contributes to the rounded body and contributes and integrates to a fantastic balance. This beer is as well thought-out as most beers I've tasted from AleSmith. Hopefully sometime in the future, I'll be able to drink one of the special Speedway Stouts on tap, seeing as this is one of my best stouts to date. http://quaffable.org/?p=300

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a Black Raven imperial pint glass. Pours pitch black with a one finger medium brown, persistant head with lacing. Aroma of roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. Taste follows with dark fruit, roasted malt, vanilla, coffee and a pleasant coffee and light hop finish. Creamy and medium bodied. Very nicely integrated and pleasant to drink. Complex and well made. The high ABV sneaks up on you because the taste is so mellow.

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%

750ml foil wrapped capped bottle aged for approx. 6 months and served at cellar temperature in a Pint Glass

A – Poured a very deep dark black oil like liquid with a large two finger head of tannish brown foam on top. Very nice thick poured on this one as it seemed to just ooze out of the bottle and plop down into the glass. There was no way to vigorously pour this one; rather you just kind of had to let it slide down. Nice retention initially as it took a good few minutes before the head settled down to just a thin film of brown across the top. After five or more minutes even this was gone as the only thing remaining were some small amounts of tan suds clinging to the side and a thick black oil looking liquid taking up residence in the glass.

S – The aroma was very rich and full of roasted malts and hints of coffee. It was rather strong and pungent with hints of dark baker’s chocolate also easily apparent as you took in whiff or two. Some strong hints of the alcohol were also easily found even in the aroma, giving you a hint at what lies beneath this 12%abv monster. As it warmed you were able to start picking out some aromas of sugary lactose and even a hint of caramel or vanilla adding some great depth and profile to the smell.

T – The flavor was very full and rich and really made me very pleased to be able to try it. With all the hype surrounding it, it was nice to not be let down and to see this one hold up to the loft goals I had set for it. The rich flavor awaiting me was touched off by a storm of dark baker’s chocolate laced in between rich Smokey roasted malts a touch of alcohol creating almost a wave of just dark delights that rolled over you and warmed you from the inside out. The deep flavor gave way to a subtle sweetness mingled in were the nice lactose flavor and the hints of vanilla which only served to deep its profile and increase its grip on me. The finish was strong with a long lasting hint of chocolate and a boozy like quality that dragged it out.

M – A very full bodied ale this one came across as thick as molasses with a rich oil like coating across the entire inside of your mouth. A very big rich creamy feel this one simply would not let go. It was truly the dessert beer, not really reach out and grasping that feeling of shake like consistency, but more relying on the just full bodied assault of the sense. Very nice.

D – Well for 12%abv you could barely tell I will give it that. It was very filling, really putting a hurt on you and filling you up pretty quickly. Now I took my time with this one to be honest, really enjoying it and taking almost 3 hours to drink the bottle. I just thought it was better this way as it really let me take in the flavors and see the changes occur as it went from the 50 degrees of my cellar to almost room temperature.

Overall I thought this was great. Really a very fine and high quality ale here. I would have no issues getting this one again as it really embodies a strong stout in every sense of the word. Very full big flavors with a long dry finish. What more could you ask for. Completely deserving of its spot on the list, a really fine ale indeed.

AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company