1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

AleSmith Speedway Stout - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway StoutAleSmith Speedway Stout

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002)
Ratings: 3,983 | Reviews: 1,371 | Show All Ratings:
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to jfam for this - 2011 edition

Appearance - Dark brown colour with an average size frothy head. I can't make out the amount of carbonation showing and there is some decent lacing. The head lasted for around 5-6 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, chocolate, grains, coffee, chicory, vanilla

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, chocolate, and coffee. There is also some vanilla, dark fruit, and chicory.

Overall -What this big beer manages to do very well is - not be cloying. Its got a lot of taste and booze, but not the sweetness that usually accompanies this. A fantastic beer worthy of its acclaim.

04-14-2014 23:46:09 | More by spinrsx
Franziskaner

Missouri

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Dark black color with a good inch of tightly knit khaki colored head. Aroma is ripe with plums,coffee and dark roasted malt. Another whiff brings black strap molasses out. Brussels lacing. Mouth is bone dry and surprisingly smooth for the style. The flavor starts off with dark roasted malt on the front of the palate and thens into an odd pairing of sweet plum and molasses along with bitter notes from the roasted barley and coffee. Definitely unique and very interesting.

04-12-2014 03:15:47 | More by Franziskaner
auee92

Georgia

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

Aroma: Essence of chocolate covered cherries, coffee, and a nice dark, oily Habano Maduro wrapped cigar

Appearance: Pitch black, with a frothy, one inch tan head of luxurious foam.

Taste: Medium sweetness up front, and a very bitter, lightly sour aftertaste.

Palate: Medium body, thin oily slick feel, lively carbonation, beautifully bitter finish.

Overall: Brilliant stout. Very, very good.

04-11-2014 03:03:09 | More by auee92
hillvt4me

Vermont

4.39/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle date 11/22/13; coffee version poured into a tulip glass.

A - Pitch black with amber undertone; frothy mocha head. Nice lace left around the glass throughout.

S - Dark chocolate, coffee, toffee and roasted malts.

T - Dark chocolate, coffee, dried cherries, milky-malt flavor and bourbon. The 12% ABV is well hidden. Really solid!

M - Thick milky texture and well balanced.

O - This is an excellent stout. I look forward to some of the other variants!

04-06-2014 22:37:11 | More by hillvt4me
dank203

4.66/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

this thing pours black with some fluffy head. the aromas have a lot of stouty notes and some coffee. the flavor gives an abundance of dark chocolate, like chocolate milk, with coffee. its a really outstanding thing and its beyond comparison, like a chocolate coffee milkshake

04-03-2014 03:00:47 | More by dank203
minterro

Colorado

3.98/5  rDev -9.5%

Bought at Colorado Liquor Mart. Bottle on 10/24/13, so cracking it now put the aging at 5 months. I little reward for my TAing my first class of the quarter. Poured into a oversized wine glass at about 54 deg and paired with popcorn & goat cheese and crackers.

A&S: Good looking beer even after a couple of months in the bottle. Jet black colored beer. Deep tan head that has really good retention and leaves stringy and speckled lacing on the glass. The pour leads me to believe this beer isn't super thick. Toffee and dark chocolate control the main elements of the aroma. Hints of bourbon. I'm not getting any dark fruit characteristics as described on the bottle.

T&M: Not incredibly complex. About what I expected: dark chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon. Similar to aroma, lack of dark fruits. I haven't tried this beer fresh so I don't know if it is due to aging or just the beer in general, but AleSmith does a great job of masking the high ABV without doing away with it completely. I may just be used to midwest porter and stouts, but this mouthfeel isn't really doing it for me. Odd mix of fizzy carbonation and smoothness. On the higher side of body just not in comparison to most stouts. On the contrary very drinkable.

Overall: I had pretty high expectations for this beer, and it didn't completely live up to my own hype, but not bad. Probably not something I will set aside to age again, but wouldn't necessary not buy it to drink right away again. I like to review before looking at the rating, I was incredibly surprised by 98 on this beer, I didn't think it was bad, but I'm confused by it's rating.

04-01-2014 03:46:21 | More by minterro
DenverHopHead

Colorado

4.41/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 750 mL bottle with a bottled on date of 10/24/13; into a pint glass.
Appearance - shadow black, no light; thick, creamy mocha head. Lacing is thick, but scattered.
Smell - coffee, dark chocolate, some dark fruit and vanilla.
Taste - robust and flavorful coffee and dark chocolate. This is a big and tasty brew!
Feel - big and bold; creamy and complex!
Overall - this is as good as I imagined! Very pricey, but worth treating yourself if you like really big stouts.

03-04-2014 03:11:41 | More by DenverHopHead
jwchestnut

3.53/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

So perhaps its unfair for me to review as I have yet to have a coffee stout that I really enjoyed, but I have heard such rave reviews about this one and thought it was worth a try and it would maybe be a game changer for me. It poured beautifully. Totally black with a huge dark khaki head that held up for quite a while. The nose was dark sweet malts, some cocoa, gas station coffee, milk chocolate, no hints of alcohol. The taste was sweetened dark chocolate, maybe some charred/smoky marshmallow, but it was dominant coffee flavor that turned me off. Admittedly it grew on me as the beer warmed but I still found it to be too one noted and too much like cold gas station coffee for me. No traces of the 12% alcohol. All that said, it felt fantastic going down - rich, smooth and thick without being cloying. I really wanted to love this beer as it is clearly well crafted and highly regarded, but the single noted coffee flavor was too much for me to get past and really enjoy.

02-24-2014 12:38:55 | More by jwchestnut
Skendawg

4.36/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- I poured it with a rather large 2" head, and man did that stick around. The head itself is darker than 80% of beers on the market, and the beer underneath is essentially black.

S- The first thing you are going to pick up on when you smell this stout is the coffee. Rich dark coffee is immediately apparent. Great smell, and lets you know the power of the beer you're about to consume. Absolutely great smelling.

T- I love the taste of this beer. Delicious and smooth, it is sweet and embraces you with the warmth of the hefty 12% ABV. Afterward a chocolate taste sticks around along with a warmth at the back of your mouth...

F- I guess I started to go into the way that the beer feels in the last section, but I will reiterate that it leaves a warm sensation in your mouth which is incredible. The feel of this beer in your mouth is a great one. Not very carbonized at all, as you might expect with a Stout like this, but that's okay. For how thick this beer is, bordering on syrupy, the amount of bubbles is just right.

O- Overall I thought this was a great Stout. I'm not a big fan of stouts, so I decided to try this one as I had been told it is the cream of the crop when it comes to stouts, and I was not let down. This beer is a great representative for Stouts, and if I were a Stout guy, this would be a 5 hands down for me.

02-23-2014 06:23:04 | More by Skendawg
Budinetz

4.79/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750ml into a wine glass. Bottle was stamped " bottled on 11/25/13".

A- pours an opaque Black color with a dark tan head that holds for quite a while before residing. Fantastic lacing throughout the glass as I drink this brew. And I kid you not...the lacing was so perfect that it continued as the beer warmed and had the appearance of a Classic Italian espresso!

S- smells of sweet malt and dry coffee with hints of bitter chocolate Nibs. I also detect an array of caramel on the finish. I detect zero ether or ethanol aroma at all, impressive of the style and abv at 10% abv.

T- as I sip this brew I detect strong roasted malts and intense coffee notes. There is some bitter chocolate as I swallow the beer and then lick my lips. This brew is delicious!

M- very soft on the tongue with low carbonation and a very comfortable palate. No harsh flavors from the malt. No harsh ethanol from the abv. It is actually undetectable! One of the smoothest beers of this caliber I have ever experienced!

O- quite the imperial coffee stout. This beer has an Extremely delicious, virtuously undetectable 12% abv that I never noticed until I woke up and hour late for work. If my boss is erasing this, then you understand what I'm talking about. It hit me HARD!

Enjoy this beer with dessert, a shot of espresso, or with what I ate....6 Peanut butter eggs. You could even do a spoonful of peanut butter and I think that would compliment this brew perfectly!!!!

02-03-2014 09:39:26 | More by Budinetz
Jeffo

Netherlands

1.93/5  rDev -56.1%

Originally reviewed this a 4.43 back in 2010. We recently had a newer bottle and I felt it was time for a re-review of this one.

From a 75cl into a snifter
Bottled 12 April 2013

APPEARANCE: Pours black but clear yielding a two finger, medium looking dark tan head with very good retention. Black body, clear, with no real carbonation evident. Head fades to a wisp that sticks to the sides of the glass. A splotchy wisp remains leaving some bits of lacing down the glass. Still looks good.

SMELL: Roasted notes with band aid and rotten cabbage. Light cream notes but the coffee addition has come out like band aids and vegetables. Pretty rotten.

TASTE: Better than the nose, but still lousy. Cabbage and perfume with some roasted grain and coffee up front. Bolder finish of roasted coffee, sweet cream and lots of band aid and cabbage again. This is also rotten, though not as rotten as I'd expected from the nose.

PALATE: Medium-fully body, heavy on the palate, with medium to lower end carbonation. Heavy and creamy on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly mouth-coating. A slight prickly punch at the back after the swallow. Great mouthfeel for the style; big and mean.

OVERALL: The only saving grace of this is that I didn't have to drink my full share. The drain was in a good mood that day. The feel is still a menace and the look is good, but something went horribly wrong with this batch. Rotten vegetables and band aids all over the place. Nasty. The Kopi was a touch better and BA Kopi was the best, though that's not saying much.

01-27-2014 15:11:37 | More by Jeffo
Charlemagne7

4.73/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 Bottle, poured into snifter

I've had this beer a few times now, figured I was well versed enough with it to get off my lazy ass and review it lol

The appearance is that of any quality Impy Stout. Pours black with a mocha brown head. Not overly carbed (duh), so the head isn't very prominent, but damn does it look good.

The smell is very coffee and chocolate forward. I'm sure it's been said many times, but how are their not candles that smell like this. Reminds me of Mazzaro's, for you Florida folk lol.

The taste on this one is great. Starts out with a mild chocolate sweetness before progressing into a strong coffee presence. The malty sweetness balances out the subtle bitterness from the coffee perfectly. Very rich flavor, so a perfect desert beer.

The mouthfeel on this beer is probably the only thing not practically perfect. I don't know why, but it seems just the wee bit thin. Perhaps it's my imagination, but it just seems slightly watery. For something so heavy and rich, I'd expect a motor oil viscosity (ya you Ten Fidy).

Overall, this beer is one of the best non-BA stouts I've had. It's no wonder the BA version is so damn good, it's base beer is stunningly delicious. I would recommend splitting the bomber with a few friends as the ABV is masterfully hidden and can become quit a chore to tackle on your own. Cheers!

01-26-2014 22:37:24 | More by Charlemagne7
berkshire413

4.28/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Excellent blend here with and American Imperial matched up with a Double Stout. they really nailed the blend here as the chocolate and coffee hits up front in a nice smooth malty fashion it takes its time to reveal the piney and light citrus hops on the back end. this is based on a sample, i would love to get into a bottle of this and really explore this beer some more.

01-25-2014 20:09:06 | More by berkshire413
rjp217

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

IS with coffee version poured into a tulip glass. No bottle date found...

A - Pitch black with a full frothy one finger head. Nice lace left around the glass throughout. Perfect looking stout

S - Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, toasted marshmallow

T - Follows the nose. Has a milkshake type quality. The 12% ABV sneaks up on you ever so slightly. I would recommend splitting this between friends.

M - Very frothy, milky, creamy. Rolls off the palate ever so smoothly. Follows with a bitter aftertaste

O - This is an excellent stout. I only wish I knew the bottle date because of the coffee being added. I would love to compare a fresh bottle and aged bottle. I've heard good things and this lives up to the hype

01-25-2014 01:51:25 | More by rjp217
rodemey2

4.23/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

IMO could use a little more body. I prefer stouts of this ABV to be a tad more viscous, i might be alone here. other than that, its pretty much perfect. dried fruit on the nose, and you’d never know they hit 12% on it. paired with some bleu cheese, blissful.

01-22-2014 05:09:57 | More by rodemey2
winningwes91

4.89/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- Typical, beautiful imp. stout look. very opaque black with about 1/2 finger of cocoa head on it. Very Nice.

Smell- Yum. Smells like fresh brewed coffee with dark and milk chocolate and some cherries and raisins.

Taste- Similar to the aroma, but even better IMHO. The nose had all the aforementioned aromas, but not as defined as the taste. So damn delicious. And 12% abv.? Get outta' here! Don't know where they're putting all the alcohol, but it sneaks up on you after about 20 minutes! Just excellent stuff.

Mouthfeel- One of, if not the best quality of this beer. Feels like a delicious, alcoholic milkshake. Coats the mouth and lingers afterwards, making you crave more.

Overall- This is easily one of, if not the best non-ba stout in the world. Amazing stuff.

01-21-2014 20:33:36 | More by winningwes91
dgilks

Australia

4.24/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Inky. Oily black. Nice small tan head.

Chocolatey aroma. Some sweetness. Touches of roast. Nice.

Really rich chocolate. Interesting roast and cacao. Touches of bitterness.

Complex and rich malt. Medium-full body with moderate carbonation. Solid.

Nice beer. Really good complex flavour. Works well.

01-18-2014 11:10:39 | More by dgilks
joemcgrath27

Alberta (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From notes dating back to August
A - pitch black creamy mocha head, solid looking stout
S - toasty coffee, licorice, cocoa, and a hint of booze
T - Big coffee kick, licorice and cocoa are prominent with a lightly smoky finish
M - chewy smooth start, creamy through the middle, slightly bitter finish, not even a hint of the high octane within
O - Its been a while, but i recall really savouring this brew with my beer advocate in crime andrenaline, very impressed by the flavours and masking of the high alcohol content, would love to stumble across this again

01-10-2014 20:39:39 | More by joemcgrath27
TheosTheories

4.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A- jet black with a nice finger of tan brown head, which leaves a nice lacing along the sides as it goes down

S- big roasted character I'm getting in this one, a lot of alcohol also, not much coffee as I was expecting though, bitter sweet chocolate, vanilla, I'm getting a little bourbon characteristics in this one, its probably because the big alcohol and roasted malt

T- again not much coffee for being a "coffe stout", I'm getting a lot of roasted malt in this one, dark fruits, which I didn't get really in the nose, dates and plumbs, I'm getting a nice vanilla with some chocolate, I am getting coffee in the after taste though but again not much, and that 12% is differently there, but it's nice.

M- thick, coats the whole mouth as it goes down, pretty sticky, but it is surprisingly smooth
O- overall a nice brew, alittle disappointed in the lack of coffee presences but still solid, gets better as it warms, it is really a complex brew and very well made, just wish they would of had more coffee in this one.

01-05-2014 03:10:51 | More by TheosTheories
Whiskeydeez

Kansas

4.51/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle date 8/15/13
Poured into a St. Bernardus Chalice, Rust on bottle cap, moisture under the foil?

This pours a nice black color with hints of brown in the light. A nice full brownish tan head sits on top and winds down at normal pace. Not much for lacing, spotty.

It has a really nice smooth roasted malt aroma, sweetness and a little coffee. When it warms there is a bit of alcohol but its blends nicely with the malt sweetness and bit of chocolate roast.

The taste follows the aroma well and it is very smooth. This has a wonderful smoothness between the chocolate, coffee/espresso and malt sweetness. There is 12% alc in here??? Really the biggest thing I like about this is how smooth and seamless the flavors fit together, nothing is out of place.

The mouthfeel compliments the flavors perfectly. It is thick and oily and coats your mouth with each sip.

I really enjoyed this stout. Stouts are not my go to style but if I had access to this that might change. It's smooth and mellow but full of flavor. It seems like the chocolate, coffee, sweetness and alcohol are all paired perfectly in this beer. It's not over the top in any way, just damn good.

01-04-2014 04:02:02 | More by Whiskeydeez
dar482

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

It comes deep black with a nice big tan head.

The aroma is lovely with sweet chocolate and roasted malt. There's some alcohol and coffee.

In the taste, it has a bittersweet chocolate flavor and the booziness is surprisingly delicious. It is quite apparent though. There also is a big hop bite in this beer, unlike some other beers in the style. The beer keeps rolling of this luscious chocolate note.

The smoothness is very important in making this beer complete. One of the better or best Imperial Stouts out there.

01-02-2014 02:25:52 | More by dar482
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

Early on 31st Dec 13, usual 0.75 litre bottle poured into a pint pot and the remainder into a Gordon’s badged thistle shaped glass. One of two bought for me by a brother on my 60th Birthday earlier in December.

Jet black with a thick coffee like foaming head on both glasses. You can’t miss the coffee and dark chocolate in the nose or taste but below those two powerhouses there are more subtle flavours and aromas to find. A strong vanilla flavour arrives and then leaves: but a pod or two stay behind to dance with some hedgerow berries and a bag of toffees.

This gets more complex as it warms too: each malty molasse playing with your taste buds and nasal senses.

Rich, smooth and very drinkable: most enjoyable, pity I had to share it with my son and son-in-law (the wife insisted).

12-31-2013 17:22:30 | More by BlackHaddock
maxcoinage

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured 750ml bottle into snifter (dated 8/15/13) with some decent mocha colored head, color is a pitch black.

Aroma - roasted coffee, dark fruit, chocolate

Taste - roasted malt, lots of coffee, caramel, vanilla, loved the coffee flavor booze/bitterness was definitely noticeable on the finish

Mouthfeel - full body, medium carb, a bit creamy

Overall - one of the better coffee beers I've had. This is a big bottle though, need to split this with at least 2 or 3 others.

12-29-2013 15:39:01 | More by maxcoinage
mjpolzin

Wisconsin

3.96/5  rDev -10%

Waited to try this on Christmas Eve which is one of the nights each year I save some really stellar brews for. Part of me was disappointed by this beer but part of me appreciated the depth and complexity of Speedway and realizes that it is an excellent candidate for aging.

Speedway Stout advertises that it is brewed with coffee. Unfortunately I get hardly any coffee in the smell or the taste. The pour and mouthfeel are somewhat thin. Once I started drinking the beer though, I got a huge roasty taste with an incredibly complex background of chocolate, dark fruits and other malts.

Although I was let down a little bit by this beer, I would be interested in picking up another bomber to age to see what flavors come through after the roasted flavors smooth out a bit.

12-25-2013 04:49:49 | More by mjpolzin
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

750 ml capped bottle poured into a snifter.
12% ABV, serve at 50-55°F, Bottled on 07/22/13 printed in yellow on shoulder, "This beer ages very well and will continue to mature for many years to come."

A - Clarity can be seen through the pour but Speedway Stout is an impenetrable inky black in the glass, topped by a whipped mocha head after a bit of short-lived cascading. For the beer's high alcohol percent, the foam's retention is quite impressive, dotting the glass in specks of lace as it drops.

S - Heavy roasted bitterness engulfs the Speedway Stout's aroma, robust with bitter chocolate morsels, cold, black, bottom-of-the-pot coffee, and a heavy layer of cocoa. Earthy hoppiness balances the nose and suggests it's not a straight-forward malt bomb but also brings a "green" presence to the beer that merges with stringy vanilla bean. Toffee sweetness wanders through the background as the big, bold beer finishes with nose tingling alcohol warmth.

T - Earthy vanilla bean, crumbled cocoa puffs, and chunky bitter chocolate-covered French roast coffee beans coat the tongue in dark malt boldness but also introduce layers of complexity to the beer. Gobs of caramel melt over sticky Sun-maid raisins and dried blueberries with a touch of warming alcohol seeping through the cracks.

M - Speedway Stout's ominous appearance and syrupy pour certainly don't bode well for those even the slightest bit questionable in regards to "dark beer" but, AleSmith does a fantastic job of balancing this heavy stout so it doesn't just coat the throat upon the swallow. Dry from balancing hops, bitter roasted malt, and certainly the fusel alcohol on the finish, this imperial stout drinks pretty well, all things considered.

O - Like the majority of AleSmith beers, Speedway Stout is pretty hoppy. The difference with this imperial stout however, is it's balance; obviously malt-trending. Dark and rich, the bitter chocolate profile brings about dark fruit nuances and pairs well with the addition of Ryan Bros. Coffee. Earthy is the key though, as this medium-full bodied beer finishes balanced but bitter-leaning with a clearly warming smoothness.

12-22-2013 20:44:46 | More by BeerFMAndy