AleSmith Speedway Stout - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway StoutAleSmith Speedway Stout

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith Speedway Stout Alström Bros
Gtreid

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

750 ml, silver foil wrapped, bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. Sorry, but I can't remember who sent me this, but to whoever did, a huge thanks.

A: Black. Enough said. A pillowy 2 finger wet sand color head appears and leaves behind some nice spotty lace. Some yeast was suspended here, and that is really the only knock on this.

A: A little light here in my opinon. I do get some really nice chocolate and toasty malts. But I'm not getting the coffee as much as I would have hoped for.

T: I don't think a stout could taste much better. Chocolate and roasted malts all the way. A little vanilla, coffee, and mollasses round out the flavor. Finishes slightly dry with a noticable but welcome warming from the ABV.

M: Again just about perfect. Full body, creamy and smooth. Just the right amount of carbonation.

D and overall impression: Drinkability for a stout of this magnatude is through the roof, I could easily polish off this bomber myself. Overall, this is seriously one of the best stouts I've ever had. Creamy, smooth and just plain delicious. Awsome! Skal.

03-06-2010 23:40:03 | More by Gtreid
KAP1356

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Weyerbacher tulip glass...

A - Very dark with a gorgeos roughly two finger head. The head is a deep rich espresso color that floats nicely atop the almost completely black beer.

S - Chocolatey dark roasted malts up front. Surprisingly not as much alcohol asI expected. The coffee is picked up right at the end of the whiff. Seems like it is perfectly balanced so far.

T - Dark rich roasted malts and a bittersweet chocolate perfectly mixed with a coffee taste that just lingers on the back of the palate. When I first sipped this one, the coffee was so strong, but now that I let it warm, it is almost perfectly balanced. The alcohol is much more present here than it is in the smell, but is still not as strong as I would've expected for 12%

M - Creamy and rich. Very smooth on the tongue. Could be a bit thicker for my taste though, especially for such an intense stout.

D - I'm not getting overwhelmed by the alcohol as much as I though and am actually enjoying the entire bottle quite a bit. This could however easily be split between two if not three people.

Overall a really great and tasty coffee stout. Very well balanced and I will definitely enjoy my other bottle again after a year or so of aging.

05-27-2010 02:18:13 | More by KAP1356
mikepcarney

05-20-2014 21:25:13 | More by mikepcarney
kevanb

4.4/5  rDev 0%

I've reviewed this on tap on a SUPER hot day after a few other beers but I felt it deserved the respect of a bottle review as the lone beer tasting for the night

This pours a deep abyss black color with hints of coffee brown when held to the light. Atop the beer sits a lovely 2 finger caramel colored head that has such a lovely bubbly cloud like head. The aroma on this is really nice, chocolate laden aroma that has nice amounts of coffee, whisky, dark fruits and spices with little bits of oak and woods. The flavors are really complex, the coffee beans really come through and mix with the oaky chocolate flavors as well as fruits and spices. Despite the complex variety of flavors, they are balanced so beautifully. The body is so rich and full, its like drinking the best and most complex chocolate milk ever.

Verdict: This stout is incredible and sets the bar for all other year round stouts in my opinion. Sure there are fun and exciting seasonal offerings and one offs but for a year round brew, this is incredible.

11-04-2011 17:05:55 | More by kevanb
bluemoonswoon

4.2/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks again to raznug for the opportunity to try this one.

A: Thick as motor oil going out the bottle and into the glass. Slow forming, thick, cascading, two finger mocha colored head. Head transitions into a cap in a few minutes and leaves behind just a tiny bit of lacing.

S: Sweet and smokey. Bourbon and vanilla that transitions into sweet chocolate and brown sugar. There are imperial milk stouts that smell less creamy than this beer does.

T/MF: Thick, chewy mouthfeel. Bitter chocolate, hot splash of bourbon and oak. Slightly smokey with a comparably subtle hop bitterness. Incredible malt bill on this beer, allows for a great deal of complexity with each sip. Each sip reveals something new about the beer. Right now it's slightly bitter with a mixture of dark fruits, given a bit of warmth, sweet tobacco and coffee with heavy cream and sugar I think that the beer could stand to be just a bit more lively on the tongue, yes it's nice and thick, but it sort of just sits there, doesn't have the pop that I really want it to have. But damn if this beer isn't tasty, reminds a bit of Bourbon County Stout, though I still give the edge to BCS.

D: At 12% ABV I'm more than halfway though my first glass and loving every second of it. There are a few things that could stand to be improved upon, mouthfeel and appearance, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want this beer around me all the time.

11-24-2008 02:15:10 | More by bluemoonswoon

udubdawg

Kansas

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%

750 ml bottle

pours a nice viscous, glossy black, with a good creamy-looking but fleeting brown head. Light struggles to show even at the edges of the glass. Spotty lace over parts of the glass. Quite the looker.

Aroma is very strong, and full of robust coffee. The malt seems so heavily roasted and even charred. Wonderful. Chocolate is probably pretty strong here, but relatively speaking is in the background to the java. Really nice!

Hard to find fault with this flavor. I don't even drink much coffee, but sometimes I love it in my beer. Big coffee and chocolate flavors, plenty of charred malt and hop bitterness. Huge - there's so much flavor here! Wonderful complex sweet profile. Really carmelized and full of molasses. My palate dries from the wonderfully long and heavily roasted coffee/bitter hop finish and demands that I take another sip. I quickly acquiesce to the request.

Excellent, but not quite spectacular in mouthfeel. Still, there's little to complain about. Carbonation is soft, the texture creamy, and it's generally just about perfect. Body is on the high side of medium, but needs that extra bit of fullness to make this truly one of my favorites. I'm probably looking too hard to find fault with this one, but I'll stick with a 4.5 for now.

Definately a sipper...but I'm sipping it awfully fast! Really satisfying. Expertly hidden alcohol. Hey, what's the caffeine situation with this beer? - will I be up all night now? Whatever - it was worth it. Highly recommended!

01-17-2008 23:12:27 | More by udubdawg
jeonseh

Indiana

3.35/5  rDev -23.9%

Bottle poured into a Kuhnheen Tulip

A - I forgot that high ABV stouts can have a nice head. Has a nice, one finger mocha color head that sits throughout. Color is deep, brown. Clean looking and slightly reflective.

S - Chocolate, light bitter coffee with a slight caramel sweetness. There is a slight almost Marmite / vegetal hint I pick up in the nose as well

T - Slight chocolate and definitely get a kick of the bitter coffee in the middle. There is slight caramel and vanilla sweetness that comes in near the end before you get slammed with a huge alcoholic kick. This by far has the strongest alcoholic kick I've had in a beer in a long time and even seems strong for a 12% ABV.

MF - Nice medium body that is thick and smooth with light carbonation. Finish though is very astringent and boozy as you'd expect given the booze in the flavor

O - I was not impressed by this offering and thought this was an overall let down. It is way too boozy for the ABV which comes on way too strong.

08-04-2012 03:09:38 | More by jeonseh

04-05-2014 23:13:36 | More by NonicPanic
scottyshades

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to mrmiles!
A: Pours a viscous looking pitch black color. The head is massive and chocolate color, retention is excellent.

S: Coffee, chocolate, raisin, fig, slight lactose, roasted and toasted malts. Hops are also apparent. Awesome.

T: Tastes better than it smells...big bittersweet chocolate, caramel, toffee, coffee, raisin, fig, and just awesomeness. Really one of the best stouts I've tried. Alcohol is completely masked, and only adds body and a little warming feeling.

MF/D: Very viscous, but I have seen thicker. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel from the lactose. Carbonation is right on the money. Amazingly drinkable for 12%

Notes: This is absolutely deserving of the rating. I got too excited to try this, so I'll be ISO for another one to cellar. Thanks Miles, this made my interest in stouts come alive again!

09-26-2010 19:13:34 | More by scottyshades

Alaska

11-19-2011 01:18:14 | More by lakersfan16
stewart124

4.4/5  rDev 0%

This beer poured a midnight black with a nice foamy tan head. Very thick head and it left nice lacing down the glass.
Smell of roasted coffee and more roasted coffee. Chocolate notes are present. Very malty with a slight oily hoppiness. Very thick body that has a syrup like feel. Bits of cherries or currants were also slightly noticed. The alcohol is well hidden and this beer could sneak up on you. Very drinkable. Tasty malts and coffee with a sweet and yet burnt aftertaste. Too bad it's only a 750 ml bottle. HA HA!!

11-29-2005 04:28:26 | More by stewart124
seaoflament

4.28/5  rDev -2.7%

This review is from a bottle I purchased at SouthBay Drugs and Liquor back in the Spring of 2007. Opened this one at La Bella Pizza tonight with Joey and Danny.

Dark and dense color with a small head, some lacing on the glass.

Chocolate, coffee with milk, vanilla, raisins, and black cherry dominate the nose. Some roastiness comes through as it opens up.

Wow, chocolate milkshake all the way! Espresso finish. A bit woodsy, dry roasted barley in the finish. There's also a touch of alcohol in the back but it's very well reserved. Two years has really blended the flavors well. Very low oxidation level.
Bitter chocolate and roasted bitterness that lasts long in the aftertaste.

Super smooth on the palate, well carbonated after 2 years, not syrupy or thick.

I would definitely age some more of this if I wanted a smoother, more chocolate forward Speedway.

03-04-2009 08:54:46 | More by seaoflament