AleSmith Speedway Stout - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway StoutAleSmith Speedway Stout

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith Speedway Stout Alström Bros

costanzo_mike, Aug 17, 2014

Diomede, Nov 20, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've reviewed this on tap on a SUPER hot day after a few other beers but I felt it deserved the respect of a bottle review as the lone beer tasting for the night

This pours a deep abyss black color with hints of coffee brown when held to the light. Atop the beer sits a lovely 2 finger caramel colored head that has such a lovely bubbly cloud like head. The aroma on this is really nice, chocolate laden aroma that has nice amounts of coffee, whisky, dark fruits and spices with little bits of oak and woods. The flavors are really complex, the coffee beans really come through and mix with the oaky chocolate flavors as well as fruits and spices. Despite the complex variety of flavors, they are balanced so beautifully. The body is so rich and full, its like drinking the best and most complex chocolate milk ever.

Verdict: This stout is incredible and sets the bar for all other year round stouts in my opinion. Sure there are fun and exciting seasonal offerings and one offs but for a year round brew, this is incredible.

kevanb, Nov 04, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

Casey3236, Jan 23, 2014

MrVonzipper, Nov 15, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

mkennedy119, Dec 16, 2012
4.18/5  rDev -4.8%

The AleSmith Speedway was one of my first goals in a trade and one of the highest rated on my Top100 (from this Summer). When I finally landed a bottle - and then when it hit shelves in NYC - there was tons of excitement. So I opened it with a buddy of mine Alex when he and his girlfriend Maria were visiting.

But it didn't deliver.

Maybe it was frozen at some point. Maybe it was too hot at some point. Maybe it wasn't aged enough. But regardless the taste was off. Extremely tangy, with dark fruits and grapefruit predominating. And water. Chocolate notes and malt notes were there, so was coffee, but it just wasn't that American Double that I've gotten to know and love.

The appearance was great - pitch black. Smell was amazing, coffee, toffee, bitter chocolate, sugar, fruit. Mouthfeel was excellent as well, although it didn't seem properly composed, it's like all those elements were floating in alcohol and water (hence the freezing guess). But since I just don't know, and it's a hard bottle to come by, I have to make this review now and then tag it for later to come back to.

AleSmith Speedway... we will meet again.

UPDATE: Enjoyed a better taken care-of bottle and better aged. Had side by side with the BA version. Yep. It's better. Upgraded taste from 2.5 to 4.0, and Overall from 2.5 to 4.0

afksports, Dec 11, 2010

Domvan, Apr 28, 2014

Mark000, Jan 15, 2013

brpendergast85, Mar 25, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Pours opaque deep black with a tiny khaki head, that receeds very quickly.

S - Fresh Coffee, roasted malt, vanilla, carmel and chocolate as it warms.

T - Roasted barley's and malt with a good dose of chocolate, sweet bitter coffee ,some slight char flavor, hints of anise as well, great tasting stout.

M - Medium carbonation with a dry finish

O - Great beer that I got lucky to get my hands on being in NYC. Another strong beer from AleSmith.

SkiBum22, Sep 26, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -12.8%

David and I shared a bottle of the 2006 version at Redbones. My review is all over the map, I think one of the reasons as this one would most likely benefit with some ageing (it's actually recommended to do so on the bottle). Initial impression after the bottle was opened was that it was a boozy monster with a syupy mouthfeel. I was actually a little nervous and thought, I hope some of our fellow bar patrons can help us finish the bottle if we aren't able to. Well, guess what, we had no problems finiishing the bottle, so let's see what we had. Poured into tulip glasses, it had a nice coal black color with mahogany highlights in the light. I loved the deep rich coffee crema head, but it dissipated and only left me with some small skim coat on the sides. The aroma was initially boozy, but as we became accostomed to it, the coffee came to the fore, and some depth was provided by some stone fruit notes as well. Mouthfeel was initially syrupy, however as we made our way through the bottle, it became rougher, with fine prominent carbonation. Tastewise, there's a ton of coffee, milk chocolate, roasted notes from both. I enjoyed it, and it did become easier to drink as we made our way through the bottle. Actually did not feel intoxicated at the end, but that's where a big meal, and tons of water help out. Would love to try again in six months.

PatandDavid, Mar 09, 2006

ScaryEd, Oct 14, 2013
4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured into a tulip. Thanks to Bendurgin for sharing. Nice 2 finger thick creamy mocha colored head. The lacing is super sticky. I can't imagine one better looking than this.

The battle between coffee and fruity aromas is barely one by the latter. A hint of dark cherry is noticed. Nice chocolatey undertones.

Well starts out nice and chocolatey and finishes with a huge coffee bitterness. This is dryer than I expected, aiding its drinkability.

Thick, creamy, velvety, perfection. The mouthfeel in big stouts is key, and this hits spot on.

A great beer. I should sip this, but I'm not sure I'll be able to.

andrewinski1, Jan 31, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +10%

Brought a bottle back from San Diego to share with my man Kiddwhiz, poured to NBB Globe the beer arrives a deep dark black, with black edges, looks like motor oil, thick. 1.5 finger tan head, excellent retention and lacing. Really looks great. The nose is a pleasant blend of roast, coffee, bakers chocolate, without even a hint of the alcohol. The flavor builds upon the nose with an initial rush of the roast and coffee. The chocolate mellows the beer out well. Mildly bitter with a hint of heat, but very appealing. Smooth and creamy, viscous. Full bodied and well carbonated. The flavors linger forever, terrific. Overall, this beer lived up to the hype from the bottle shop in Escondido, wish I had more!

hopfacebrew, Apr 23, 2012

johnyb, Feb 25, 2013

emottram, Feb 13, 2013

MNBeer1017, Jun 09, 2014

12-23-07
4.5 / 4 / 4.5 / 4 / 4
From a bottle. Chocolate, roast, coffee blend in aroma. Cocholate in the very end of the sip, and then sweet coffee after that in the aftertaste. Aftertaste is a pretty amazing blend of coffee and chocolate.

___
3-1-2007
4.5 / 4 / 4.5 / 4.5 / 4
Served in a goblet at the Stone Bistro. Appearance was a midnight brown with a caramel colored head that had great retention. Smell was chocolate and coffee. Taste was of strong chocolate and lots of coffee for the most part with a nice mellow roasted character as well. Alcohol was well hidden. Moutfeel was thick and full, carbonation very low for a nice smooth drink.

MiScusi, Mar 01, 2007