1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

AleSmith Speedway Stout - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway StoutAleSmith Speedway Stout

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith Speedway Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,983 | Reviews: 1,371 | Show All Ratings:
WeymouthMike

4.1/5  rDev -6.8%

This is a very dark beer pouring a dark black with an inch or so brownish/cream head. Smells of coffee and alcohol were the first thing I thought of. Tastes of coffee and roasted goodness made this beer live up to it's expectations. Mouthfeel was smooth and there was a good amount of warming as I sipped this one. I drank a 750 over the duration of the Patriots game and was happy I did so at home as the 12% will kick your butt.

12-28-2005 01:23:34 | More by WeymouthMike
becktone

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%

The beer pours dark brown/black. The head is nice and big. It is at least an inch in height. Its color is a creamy light brown/tan. There is also quite a bit of lacing going on according to the sides of my glass. Good head retention as well.

To the nose this beer smells wonderfu. Lots of roasted smells in the aroma. I can also smell some chocolate/coffee aromas. There is a faint smell of alcohol as well.

In the taste of this beer I don't detect any bitterness (well none that I could account to the hops). I taste the complexities of the malty character of this beer first and foremost. The beer is strong. It has a strong taste of both coffe and chocolate. The coffe taste lingers in the aftertaste for a bit and then eventually becomes a dry roasted taste in the back of the mouth. Bitterness is percieved early on by the heavy roasted flavor that bombards the palate. There is also, as in the smell, a detectable alcohol presence. It is in the background of the beer's flavor, and its presence adds a bit of a kick to the overall effect of the flavor.

The mouthfeel of this beer is quite good as well. There is a low amount of carbonation and alcohol warms a bit as it goes down. It also warms the stomach once it has been in there for a while. It has a nice full body and is heavy on the palate. This beer is not hard to drink. I feel that this is one that must be sipped. It could make me real sick real fast if I drank this too fast. Its a good deal and I'll probably buy it sometime in the future again but I'm just not sure when. In my opinion Storm King is a better deal. For the 12$ I spent on this bottle I could have had a six of Strom King and had a buck or two to spare. However I believe that this beer is available year round.

12-26-2005 03:47:00 | More by becktone
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.7/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from bottle(room temp) pitch black with a small head that dissipated quickly leaving just a fine ring around the edge of the glass.

The smell is of maple syrup and/or molasses with some coffee notes as well.

The taste is full of coffee and molasses and is very thick in texture. There's a lot of smokiness as well for me in the flavour and that is definitely a positive in its overall presentation.

Wow. I had this one fresh and it was a treat but this +1 year old sample just kicks it up a notch or 2. Did I mention how obtrusive the 12% abv was in my review of this beer? I didn't? Well...there's a warming effect coming from this brew for sure but in no way was it obtrusive. Highly recommended!!

12-25-2005 22:33:02 | More by Bitterbill
chelovek

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

2003 edition. Pours an oil consistency but in a good delicious way. A small deap dark purple head arose. Looks pretty tastey. Smells heavily of chocolate and coffee. The taste is outstanding. coffee and chocolate definitely apparent with cherry and sweet in the background. Sits nice on the tongue. Alcohol is surprisingly light in taste considering the 12% load; although it does gain some prominance as it sits for a while. An all in all outstanding stout.

12-20-2005 07:26:19 | More by chelovek
carln26

Missouri

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This poured from the bottle a deep light absorbing black. Virtually no head developed on the top of the beer. The aroma is a great blend of chocolate covered cherries, raspberries, mild coffee, and burnt toffee. The flavor has a ton of the chocolate covered cherries. Rich dark espresso, and a finish of orange from the hops. This has a smooth rich mouth feel. Amazing drinakibility although there is a mild alcohol warming. This is a world class stout.

12-19-2005 00:48:57 | More by carln26
Muddybuddy

Oregon

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

I had a 750mL of this shared with a friend.
Appearance: Nice presentation with the 750mL bottle instead of a regular 22oz. Pours a very viscous dark opaque liquid like crude from the ground and creates a dark tan head that is composed of the tiniest of bubbles I have ever seen in a beer. The head remains for a long time (longer than it took to drink~20minutes/12oz?) and creates lacework as you imbibe this distilled liquid night.

Smell: Smells of sweetened dark chocolate with a whiff of coffee. Very sweet smelling for a stout and little to no alcohol odor which is a suprise with such a high alcohol content. Traces of raisins and maybe currants were present as well. Last but not least a hint of brown sugar and vanilla.

Taste: Upon the first sip, I noticed the malty flavors within this stout and couldn't really distinguish much else. As I progessed to the second sip I could taste some bitter dark chocolate with a hint of sweetness like raisins and then the coffee came through on the back end. This is a pretty well balanced beer with some really strong flavors competing for dominance in your mouth. It reminds me of a sweeter stlye barleywine perhaps and IMHO is a good buy for the intensity of the flavors that it generates. Hops flavors are subdued and probably only included as bittering agents since I detected no noticeable floral flavors or smells.

Mouthfeel: This is a category that this stout excels in. The rich, velvety texture of it leaves you always wanting another sip and I could hardly contain myself even with the high alcohol content. There is some slight alcohol warming, but it is really incredible that there isn't more. Carbonation within the beer was appropriately low compared to what I expected upon seeing the creamy head form. Any higher and it would have been hard to distinguish any more smells and flavors. Any less and it almost wouldn't have been there at all.

Drinkability: This beer gets a slightly above average rating for this in my book because you really shouldn't drink more than one a night. If the alcohol content were lower or the beer were less rich, it would easily score much higher.

12-12-2005 22:57:32 | More by Muddybuddy
OldSock

District of Columbia

4.08/5  rDev -7.3%

Appearance – 750 ml bottle bought several months ago at Bev Mo and carried back to Mass with me on a plane. Not sure of the age, but the bottle has the old paper label with silver foil. In my tulip the beer is pitch black with a bubbly head with good retention and lacing.

Smell – Rich chocolate and coffee without a hint of alcohol. Sadly, I believe that this has a bit of oxidation resulting in a bit of cardboard in the aroma.

Taste – The perceived oxidation in the nose does not appear in the taste. At first it has a slight charcoal flavor, but that dies down quickly and the coffee flavor takes over. Slightly bitter aftertaste. As I drink more the sharp roastiness calms down and the full flavors off this beer come out. There is a solid amount of hop bitterness, but not much hop flavor. Alcohol is only mildly present, impressive for such a big beer.

Mouthfeel – Medium-full body for the style with subdued carbonation.

Drinkability & Notes – In an hour and a half or so I had no problem, aside from inebriation, polishing off the whole 750 by myself. Luckily this beer just became available near by, so I will give a fresh bottle a try to see how it compares to this abused bottle. Overall, I feel like without the addition of coffee this would be a stout lacking flavor, there just isn't much to the base beer. A solid coffee stout, but at least this bottle is not earth shattering.

12-11-2005 17:25:45 | More by OldSock
thesilverhand

British Columbia (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks yet again to Naerhu for this treat!

Dark, black as deepest night. Capped with a soft creamy brown cloud, leaving a droplet maze of boozy lace. With just a look, it seduces me.

Coffee, naturally, and dark cocoa. Deeply, darkly bitter, with sweetness hiding below the surface. Just a touch of charred roastiness.

Intense flavour. Deep, dark, black coffee -- just the way I like it. I'd like to try this one lazy morning instead of my habitual pot of coffee. Cocoa notes and an undercurrent of strong boozy sweetness.

Thick and viscous, yet soft and silky. The heaviness is cut through by alcohol, resulting in a beautiful, balanced feel. Gorgeous.

Clearly not an all-night beer -- Naerhu is right that a 750 for two of us was a bit much. That said, it's a beautiful brew despite the incredible heaviness. Something I hope to sip in more measured doses many more times.

12-11-2005 13:49:46 | More by thesilverhand
Naerhu

Japan

4.18/5  rDev -5%

A - Jet black body with a dark brown crema colored head. Speckling foam lacing as a result of the high abv.
S - Coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts.
T - Big coffee flavors, massive bitterness that just goes on forever. One sip and you can taste the bitterness for minutes afterward and one exhale can still taste the coffee. Rich cacao. Amazing balance between alcohol, sweetness, bitterness and acidity.
M - Yeasty silkness. Fine carbonation. I would guess this is bottle conditioned. Far too viscous and thick.
D - This is just too heavy and rich. A 750 split 4 ways is good, but between two people, it is just too much.

12-11-2005 13:11:53 | More by Naerhu
waldowin

Washington

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured out of a (green?!?) bottle, just a thick, glossy black. Liquid black velvet, with an extremely dense light brown head that sticks around for ages. Opaque sheets of lacing.

Smells of rum, espresso, and plums. Slightly spicy, and very little alcohol noticeable. As it warms, a bit of vanilla rises out.

Tastes of cream, espresso and plums, with an aftertaste of grapefruits, bananas and black licorice. Delightfully complex, and the alcohol just disappears in all the flavor. It's obvious some care went into choosing the coffee and chocolate (I assume there's some dark chocolate somewhere in here?) for this brew.

Mouthfeel is extremely smooth and light at first (I dipped my nose in on the first sip, thinking I was only getting the foam), and just blooms in your mouth into a wonderfully chewy, bubbly flow. As it works its way down your throat, it leaves a very mild warming sensation as it goes.

I know this stuff is 12%, but man, I'd be more than happy to give another bottle ago (assuming I can see well enough to open it). Splitting a 750 with a friend would be a good idea, but trust me, it'll be hard to share.

If you have a friend who has some of this in their possession, it'd be worth the jail time and effort to hide the body, just to have it for yourself.
I'm just sayin'.

Oh that I could find this locally! Thanks to Beerhandy for this!

12-05-2005 08:15:26 | More by waldowin
RedDiamond

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

At last an Alesmith beer that lives up to its reputation. Speedway is an all-around solid beer with abundant composure and charm. It pours from the bottle with a strange clicking sound then proceeds to emit an inviting and sustained chocolaty nose. The flavor is mellow as though possibly tempered by age. In fact, I might guess that I got a bottle of old stock that had matured gracefully.

Coffee elements achieve a suitable balance while the alcohol presence is remarkably well integrated. The bitter chocolate and coffee finish tagged with a waft of pure smoke is solid and compelling. A few stray phenols dance in the mix, but all-in-all this is a well-balanced and skillfully composed stout with an enormous tangy mouthfeel and a finish like a good cigar.

12-04-2005 02:33:54 | More by RedDiamond
stewart124

4.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a midnight black with a nice foamy tan head. Very thick head and it left nice lacing down the glass.
Smell of roasted coffee and more roasted coffee. Chocolate notes are present. Very malty with a slight oily hoppiness. Very thick body that has a syrup like feel. Bits of cherries or currants were also slightly noticed. The alcohol is well hidden and this beer could sneak up on you. Very drinkable. Tasty malts and coffee with a sweet and yet burnt aftertaste. Too bad it's only a 750 ml bottle. HA HA!!

11-29-2005 04:28:26 | More by stewart124
twelvsies

Maine

4.28/5  rDev -2.7%

This is another one I'm skeptical of, because it's just another stout in the "top 25", and excited for, because I've heard good things, and I've had some great beers by this brewery. Let's get down to business. Black, opaque, with a thin head. No light sneaks through. I've been trying to coin a term "pitch brown", for those dark blackish beers that are really brown, but this is a black beer. I didn't know this before I bought it, but apparently there's real coffee beans in this one, and you can sure smell it. Definite chocolate notes as well on top of the rich roasted malts. Ooh boy this is an evil one. Ok... let's see. First of all, I'm a big fan of all beer styles, your uber light, crisp pilsner all the way up to your double extra engine oil drilbbling thick sout and everything in between, as long as they're well made. That being said, I'm pretty sick of the coffee and chocolate stouts, just adding shit to get some extra flavor. Sometimes, it seems artificial. I mean, yes, this is America, and we all love it, but let's not over-simplify things. There's a lot of beers that can impart that roasty coffee or chocolate flavor just with the roasted malts and with out extra ingredients. But this one is alright in my book. It's got enough other complexity and character to balance the beans. An excellent vanilla creamy character to this one. It borders on the more vinous English stout characteristics, with really fruity undertones of rasperries and raisons, combined with the slight kick of alcohol, which is barely detectable, only by the sweet welcoming warmth. I'm urging all you stout fans, and I know there's a lot of you out there, to go buy this beer, and soil yourself, because this is a stout lover's dream. So rich, so dark, so. I'm recognizing it as an amazing brew, very well made, and I'm really enjoying it right now myself. What it lacks, and what I crave, is a bit of balance, as is true for any brew in my book. It does provide that needed bitterness via the burnt malts, but I really am struggling to identify any presence of hops here, and I ain't no hop head. I'm trying though. If I could taste the least bit of spice here, a littel hoppy spice, (just a tad folks!) I'd be jumping for joy. But hey, I know everyone else out there is looking for this to be your ultimate black hole dark stout, and that's what it is. So if you want a well balanced beer, go buy a hop devil or something. Let's not split hairs here. Go git your darkness people. Enjoy it.

11-20-2005 04:20:59 | More by twelvsies
blitheringidiot

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

Eased open the cap with a "Fssst!" Read the back of the bottle and got the scoop about loads of coffee beans.

Released into a glass with a buh-lack brown opaque midnight hue giving up no ghosts of glow or glints of light through this used motor oil, topped off with a settled menacingly khaki colored tan head cap. This could hide a welder's torch, for beer's sake!

Deep aromas of expresso, no doubt. Toffee and black coffee.

First swigs: It's all oily coffee. Some bready characteristics do manage to creep through along the lines of a rye bread. Some rummy awl-kee-hawl middle. Finish is a lingering roasted burnt coffee.

Feel is thick as a mo' fo' but not quite the THICKEST feel in the world. A tongu coater indeed. Even some heat in the palate despite still being more cool than not. A bit oliy.

Last swigs: Coffee been and quite the tongue ruiner. This is the boldest coffee flavored stout this side of Peche Mortel.

Beer is good. Happy thick coffee stout shooey beering.

11-15-2005 03:25:38 | More by blitheringidiot
Starchild

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%

I vigorously poured Speedway into a standard pint, eventually getting nice cascading that left with me with a khaki inch of foam. The smell is dominated by java with some burnt sugar. Aged < 24 months.

Speedway is a fast spinning kaleidoscope of flavor. Just the alcohol alone had three distinct flavors moving as the beer warmed. At first, the hot spicy alcohol reminded me of bourbon with hints of vanilla. Next, the alcohol turned astringent reminding me of some vodka and cola. Then the alcohol turned vinous reminding me of port. While java and bittersweet chocolate form this beers core and host of other characteristics come to light and transform. I found Speedway tangy, rich, malty, and smoky all at different times. Clearly, this thinner and less carbonated (for the style) recipe helps Speedways flavor change so much. A beer that’s hard to find, catch, and enjoy but worth the effort.

11-14-2005 18:53:29 | More by Starchild
soulfly967

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

Seved this up in a tulip glass. Big thanks to Zorro for the trade.

Poured an evil looking black, with a fluffy tan head that faded fairly quickly to a ring of tiny bubbles on the outer edges. This looks great!

The smell was of fresh coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts, some dark fruits and toffee.

The taste was of rich chocolate, caramel, coffee, a slight hoppiness in the middle and finished with bittersweet chocolate, some more coffee, and a slight alcohol warming.

The mouthfeel was thick, rich, and satisfying. Amazingly smooth and warming.

Overall... this is one bad ass brew. This is a perfect way to blow an hour of your day. Sip, savor, and enjoy this woderful beer.

11-11-2005 17:22:54 | More by soulfly967
nlmartin

4.18/5  rDev -5%

Served from the bottle to a pub glass at room temperature.

Appearance: By Bachus himself this beer is pretty sitting in a glass. The beer pours a straight black darkness. The head was brilliant towering roasty foamy coffee godhead. The lacing plastered itself to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Massive amounts of coffee, floral maltyness, great fruity smells abound I am not sure if it is dates or raisins but it smells great. The alcohol is present in the smell but is in no way over powering or offensive.

Taste: A mound of coffee goodness with well balanced malty chocolate tones. There is fruityness at the party but I am not sure what it is.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This is a very, very drinkable and delicious beer. Carbonation is minimal. The beer is full bodied and full flavored. The alcohol is not overpowering to smell or taste. This truly is a great and drinkable stout.

11-05-2005 14:58:42 | More by nlmartin
oxmasterscream

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured with the color and viscosity of motor oil. Darker in fact. Coaxing a head out of this baby was next to impossible but once I stopped pouring, a tiny swirl of mocha bubbles came forth from the depths of the jet-black elixir. Smell was intense to say the least. Deep, dark, chocolate, sweet, overripe cherries, scorched toffee, chocolate-covered peanuts, dark-roast coffee, and a kiss of anise. Sublime. Taste... holy crap, it's as good as I imagined. Hella chocolatey up front, intermixed with the darkest, sweetest, ripest of fruits. Brandy-like at times as a result. Nicely peppery in the middle. Finishes of over-sugared, bitter, dark-roast coffee that hangs in the back of your throat until you're ready for your next sip. Shit, this stuff tastes like morning and night. Immediately warms the insides yet the ABV is masked as well as anyone could mask in such a monstrosity of a beer. Carbonation is practically non-existent. Mouth is full and silky. Am I dreaming? A godlike offering.

10-30-2005 00:36:58 | More by oxmasterscream
MaltyGoodness

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a beautiful coal black with a dark brown head that fades. No light can penetrate it. In fact, I think it makes the whole room darker.

Smells like a mecca of roasted delights. As it warms up, the smell of the booze becomes much more apparent.

Tastes wonderfully rich and complex, waves of roasted goodness among some fruity undertones. The alcohol presents itself as it warms. Extremely delicious.

BIG, rich body. Like drinking a meal. Very satisfying.

Because of the monster size of the is beer, it's not one I could drink every day. However, I could definitely drink it regularly. This is a fine beer.

10-23-2005 13:28:02 | More by MaltyGoodness
GClarkage

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

10/01/05- Purchased at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA

Presentation- 750ml bottle poured into my Corsendonk Christmas Ale tulip. No date on the bottle.

Appearance- One of the most black colored pours I have seen. No light getting though this one. 3/4 inch ultra dirty brown head. Lacing could have been a bit better.

Smell- More coffee than anything. A touch of dark chocolate and some sweet roasted malt in the nose. Definitely some alcohol presence as well.

Taste- The nose does not lie my friend. Nice ground coffee flavor to go with a darn sweet average toasted malt background. About perfect...not to weak, not to over the top. A touch of bittersweet chocolate rounds the taste out. Some hops lingering in the finish.

Mouthfeel- After nursing this one over about 3 hours, at the finish it's semi creamy, low carbonation and nicely warming.

Drinkability- Had no idea this was 12% until I looked at the label. Drained the last 2oz and dregs right out of the bottle into my mouth and thought maybe about 9% at first, then looked at the label! Very deceiving alcohol. Didn't hit me that hard. Quite delicious.

10-02-2005 05:21:43 | More by GClarkage
DogFood11

4.78/5  rDev +8.6%

Thank goodness westwood brewery scrapped their meeger brewing operation and put good beer on tap instead. The big winner is me as they now have speedway stout on tap....Oh Myyy.

Poured into a chalice that is one of those that feels heavy , looks huge, but only holds 8 or so ounces. whatever it was sweeeet.

not much head but a nice ring lacing and jet black. Rich chocolate smell w/ some burnt malt...Deeep aroma's. excellent mouthfeel, rich, medium body, slight singe at the end. Chocolate was what came across to me the most but it finished burnt and actually a slight hop was barely felt beneath this beheamoth to cleanse. I've been a fan of this beer but never rated it and now that its on tap its all over but the crying.

09-11-2005 01:03:58 | More by DogFood11
far333

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

Looks thick coming out of the bottle, pours dark opaque brown with a finely bubbled light brown head. Arms of lacey foam rise up the sides of the glass.

Aroma is strong and far-reaching, chocolately with coffee bitter and plum, some spiciness, a bit of fresh moist bark.

Flavor is sharp and pungent, bitter and smokey, some charred bark followed by cocoa and coffee, a fine hop backbone, and a spicey fennel freshness that sparkles on the tongue. A coffee bitter lingers. The ABV is barely noticeable, wouldn't guess it packs such a wallop if I didn't already know.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, moderate to low carbonation. Decent drinkability, but a definite sipper. Great beer. Many thanks to nrrd for the bottle.

09-01-2005 03:17:09 | More by far333
granger10

Wisconsin

3.98/5  rDev -9.5%

This rather pricey Alesmith beer pours a thick dank black color with a large cocoa tan head. Head maintains itself well before residing down to a skim layer atop the liquid.

Aroma is somewhat coffeeish but more chocolatey and nutty. A hint of alcohol in there as well.

Flavor is lacking on the coffee for my liking. There's coffee in there but it doesn't really come out like the Founder's Breakfast Stout does. It blends in with dark bitter chocolates and a sweet cookie dough flavor. Finish is bitter but not hoppy and very strong on the alcohol. Too strong personally. I struggled to drink half of this while splitting the other half with a friend.

Mouthfeel is nice and really creamy. Smooth transition of flavors until the end. Do they put oats in this? Good beer but not great imo.

08-27-2005 17:05:39 | More by granger10
lostbearbrew

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

750ml bottle - so thick it made a glug glug sound pouring out slowly. Apeeared a dark black with very little, if any, light shining through. About a 1/2", dense tan head.

Smell is sensational - sweet toffee and chocolate slightly behind the wafting aroma of coffee and some hops, as well.

First taste to hit my tongue and be deciphered was chocolate, with coffee and caramelly flavors close behind. Rich, dense brew seems to sit on your tongue much like some DIPA's. Almost a velcro on the taste buds effect. Multi-layered treats each time you sip, and as it warmed, it made a nice long evening treat. Alchohol is present, but it is not at all overpowering - just adds to the depth of flavors and mouthfeel.

Tremendous for sipping, and as nice background music was Garcia crooning out "New Speedway Boogie" as the last sips were taken from this monster bottle of a massive and completely satiating stout.

08-25-2005 16:48:27 | More by lostbearbrew
DrJay

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%

Inky black with no visible highlights and a dark brown head. Beautiful lacing and good retention, though the pour left the head a little thin. Also apparent were "legs" from the higher abv, especially when the beer was swirled. Plenty of different malts in the aroma, balanced roast, coffee, milk chocolate, a bit vinous with light hoppiness and dried fruits. Light hop bitterness peeks through the powerful maltiness, with a good deal of roasted and coffee bitterness, dark chocolate and fruit. Coffee really shines in the dry, roasted finish. Full body, slick and oily, very fine bubbles from the low carbonation. Alcohol only makes itself known in the warmth at the finish. This was a real treat and a world class stout. I'll be looking for more of this one in the future.

08-14-2005 21:13:40 | More by DrJay