1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

AleSmith Speedway Stout - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway StoutAleSmith Speedway Stout

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith Speedway Stout Alström Bros

drgonzo2k2, Apr 21, 2013

DarthGuitarHero, Apr 21, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The black beer and two-inch, dark walnut, rocky-to-creamy head cascades within a Dogfish Head snifter before quickly dropping to a dense, quarter inch after leaving a thick coating of lace.

Mellow, dark roasted malt with dark chocolate forms a backbone to the aroma profile. Warmth brings out malted milk, coffee ice cream, and alcohol fumes.

The flavor profile follows the nose, however focuses on coffee ice cream. Mellow, roasted bitterness makes this an exquisite sipping beer that unfolds with warmth, adding hints of cigar smoke and leather. The long, pleasant finish returns light bitterness.

This is a full, almost dense, bodied beer with warm, yet controlled, alcohol, soft carbonation, and a velvety texture. The finish brings out a hint of astringency.

Speedway Stout is a superb compliment to reading on a warm Saturday afternoon in January.

SLeffler27, Apr 21, 2013

Eighty, Apr 21, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -26%

Bluecane, Apr 21, 2013
4.54/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served at cellar temperature, and poured into a snifter. Bottle is from 2012

Appearance: pours jet black with a thick 2 finger off white head. Leaves only a little bit of lacing.

Smell: Rich! Coffee, chocolate, and burnt malts - smells thick enough to eat, rather than drink. Amazing richness for a non-barrel aged stout.

Taste: follows the smell with a decent amount of bitterness, but not too much. It's really well balanced. As it warms in the glass, more dark fruit and sweetness show up, as well as a bit of booziness. It doesn't burn though, even though it's 12%. It really does a pretty good job of hiding the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: silky, so fantastically silky. It has a decent amount of carbonation, but not more than you'd want. It's a good beer to savor in your mouth and almost chew to really appreciate it.

Overall: One of the best non-BA imperial stouts that I have ever had so far. It just does it really well. As I continue to drink some of the top beers, I'm realizing that it's really all about balance. This beer has amazing balance and is a true pleasure to savor for a while.

douginromeo, Apr 21, 2013

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

PHBoiler, Apr 18, 2013

RedDeath987, Apr 18, 2013
4.78/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I can't look at this bottle, and not think about Indianapolis. You know, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, home of the Indianapolis 500? I lived in Indiana for 28 years and never went to the race. I never saw the Brickyard 400 there, either. Or the moto GP stuff they did. They even race F1 there. But I did walk the golf course, so there's that! Matter of fact, we had tickets to the Indy 500 the last year we were living in Indiana and didn't end up going. Oh well, go fast and turn left!

Until recently I hadn't tried this beer. We couldn't get AleSmith in Indiana, ironic, but the other day after 18 holes at Papago Golf Course we went over to O.H.S.O. They had it on tap. I remember it being great, but I was also eating a jalapeno burger and drinking several other beers. So today I can focus on the beer as is, and spend some time with this big black bottle. We did get the chance to try the Vietnamese Coffee Stout a few weeks ago at a tasting. It was incredible, as well. OK, here we go… Speedway Stout!

In the Glass: OK, so this beer looks amazing coming out of the bottle. It's thick and I can already smell the coffee. Then the dark tan head starts to form and just sticks to the side of the glass like glue. I don't remember my sample of O.H.S.O. being so memorable. But like I said, now I am able to focus solely on the bottle that I have in front of me.

The beer, as the head begins to settle, is dark as night and the head just sits there. Give me a spoon because that head isn't going anywhere. This is a good sign of a great beer to come.

Nose: At first I am smelling dark roasted coffee flavors, then I get a nice metallic ting toward the end of the sniff. Granted, I am smelling the head… so the beer itself might smell different. I will want to see what it smells like once the head is gone. I am also getting some nice milk chocolate aroma toward the finish that have me tasting the beer before I even take a sip. The head is gone… time to take a sip! (Actually, the head isn't gone… but I am getting impatient. Bottoms up, people!)

Flavor: This is too cold, but I couldn't wait any longer. Glad I didn't… WOW. This beer is incredible. There is a TON of coffee at first, then the booze kicks in, and the finish is that of a nice cup of Joe. Holy crap, this beer is amazing. I can't imagine how good this will get with age. The bottles says to wait 6 to 24 months before opening this. I would like to see what 3 or 5 years does to a bottle of this. That is just an incredible flavor and experience all across the board. I do NOT remember is being this good on tap. I haven't had a ton of beers from AleSmith, but this one is one of the best beers I have had in a long time. Bravo, AleSmith!

Mouthfeel: It's thick, and there are no bubbles to speak of. It is almost too thick, and I am sure it will thicken a bit as it heats up. But that's OK. That is just a part of the overall experience with this bottle. It's a big bottle, too. I was surprised when I took off the foil it was capped and not corked. Oh well, still a great beer and I am SO glad that it is on our list. I am starting to stop buying beers that are not on the list to get through the beers we have to buy. Of course, I am still buying a few six packs every week of stuff just to enjoy!

I did take a sip to swish around in my mouth, and it didn't really do much for me. The bubbles then become overwhelming, and the finish becomes drying. Speaking of the finish…

Aftertaste: Not my favorite part of this beer, actually. I would say just the overall experience here is my favorite part. This is a bottle that, if drinking alone, I could spend 2 or 3 hours with. I bet this would be a good cigar beer, too. Regardless, the beer is very easy to drink considering the ABV, and you would never know that as this heats up. The booze begins to, as it nears room temperature, disappear and more coffee and chocolate flavors rush to the surface.

AleSmith, you have outdone yourself. This bottle is worth every penny of the $12.99 price tag, and is the official Total Wine & More 1001 Bottles bottle of the week this week at the Scottsdale location. It's cool to get a local liquor store to promote what we are trying to do here. One beer at a time, anyway!

If you haven't had this beer, do yourself a favor and get a bottle. This beer is ridiculous. I will let my last few sips get to room temperature before I finish my glass. Man, what a great brew. Cheers!

rickyleepotts, Apr 18, 2013

Brent619, Apr 17, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -20.3%

wardenclyffe, Apr 17, 2013

Paonz, Apr 17, 2013
3.14/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

I felt this stout was a little over rated. The beer pours jet black with a thick'ish tan head that leaves some nice lacing as it goes down. The smell is a little sharp, perhaps some hops character coming through. The body is thin for a stout like this, I expected something more chewy; I love a thick syrupy imperial but this isn't even close. The flavor was not very well balanced, dominated by the unmasked alcohol. Granted 12% is hard to mask, but there is very little sweetness, it's like they didn't even try. Notes of coffee and chocolate are apparent, but not as dominating as I'd like. The vanilla notes are hidden behind what seems to be a bit of unsavory tinny hops on the finish. I only began to notice the vanilla about half way through. While there is a lot going on in this stout, it just didn't seem to come together. Perhaps this would be a good one for the cellar to let it mellow out and come together.

Kevin73, Apr 17, 2013
4.28/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml capped bottle that has a silver foil over the cap and a small portion of the neck. The front and back label are silkscreened. The front has AleSmith's symbol, and two checkered flags coming out of the name of the beer. The back label has a wealth of information. It contains a large paragraph about the beer, proper serving temp, and proper serving glass. It also says that it approves with age. To the right of that is the Government warning. No bottled date, no best before date, or a bottle code anywhere on the bottle. You'd think there's enough room on the bottle for one of those.

The bottle suggested an AleSmith Tulip (of course!), but I don't have one of those. So I poured this beer into my small Great Lakes Snifter. Out of the bottle came a liquid that's just as thick and black as motor oil. I wouldn't be surprised if this is discarded oil after a long NASCAR race. Don't even think about highlights in this dark brew. It's so thick and black that the mighty sun would have problems shining a ray of light through this beer. Sitting on top of this black as night liquid was a 1 inch creamy mocha colored head of foam. It had pretty good retention that left behind a tiny skim of foam and a mix of streaks and blots of lace. It couldn't decide to what it should leave behind so it left both.

The aroma was just as thick as the beer itself. The first aroma that came pouring out of this beer was the roasted coffee beans. Not just any ordinary coffee beans. I could really smell the high quality of the coffee beans. When it's swirled around, the thick coffee aroma will diminish a little bit. That's just enough time for the dark roasted malt, a splash of dark chocolate, roasted barley, and a whiff of black cherry to come through. When the coffee beans found out that the other aromas weren't coffee based, the coffee beans came in again to cover up what it accidently let through.

The taste was extremely hoppy and fruity. Yeah right! The taste was just as thick and dark as the color and the aroma. The taste was dry and dark with the thick taste of roasted coffee. Not only could you smell the difference between quality coffee beans and regular average Joe coffee beans, but you can taste the difference as well. You can tell that they used quality coffee beans for their beer. Once my tastebuds got passed the thick coffee wall, I was able to pick up roasted barley, roasted malt, a gentle touch of dark chocolate, and a black cherry or two. After all the dark roasted flavors, this beer finishes up with a slight roasted hop taste. The roasted coffee beans were more bitter than the hops.

This is clearly a full bodied Imperial Stout that had a OK level of carbonation and a full flavored aftertaste. The aftertaste was dark and roasted (no duh!) with more quality roasted coffee beans, roasted barley, roasted malt, and dark chocolate. The coffee beans have a hard time leaving so they'll stick to the roof of your mouth for a long time.

Even though the taste of roasted coffee beans was around every corner, the taste never got boring. Like every other AleSmith beer, the price is a tad on the high side. You pay for the quality of the coffee beans and the quality of the beer. Would I buy another bottle? More than likely, I would. Great beer!

AltBock, Apr 17, 2013