AleSmith Speedway Stout - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway StoutAleSmith Speedway Stout

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith Speedway Stout Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

Had a friend send this out to me from the west coast. Finally decided to rate this one after many tastings. Working on the second bottle. Whoops, should have had this one after! Nearly forgot how big this beer was, so much chocolate and coffee with a finish that lingers. Pours so dark, medium sweet chocolate in the nose with tons of fresh coffee. Big powerful robust palate, almost a night finisher.

GeorgeAldi, Sep 15, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours inky black with one finger of tan head that had good retention. The head settles to a thick cap. Large amount of sticky lacing is left down the glass.

Hard to believe this beer is infused with coffee. Almost indisguishable underneath the chocolate and roasted malt qualities. Aroma of chocolate, roasted malt, and an earthy, woodsy smell. Taste follows suit with the coffee finally making an appearance. Bitter chocolate is still the prominent player. Subtle hints of vanilla, smoke, and earthy hops. Alcohol is noticed but is well blended into the flavor.

I have had some big, chewy stouts before, unfortunately this is not one of them. A little thin blooded but has a soft carbonation that I enjoyed.

I wish the coffee came out more in this stout as that is an element I enjoy in my beers. Could use a bigger body as well considering the level of ABV. Not in the elite category of Imprial Stouts.

morimech, Sep 10, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours an opaque black with a luscious coffee head into a snifter. Dissolves into a thin layer shortly after the aggressive pour.

Aroma is strong of coffee with some roasted malts, oak and a little earthiness.

Coffee plays the leading role in the flavor. The initial palate hit is of strong bitter coffee rounding into an earthy hop bitterness. Presence of oak and a slight bit of vanilla I also detect.

Mouthfeel is good and creamy. This is a coffee stout no doubt about it. Not even remotely close to too sweet. Low carbonation levels and it got better as it warmed.

I don't like a whole lot of AleSmith brews with the exception of this. Always glad when a bottle of Speedway comes my way as it's way way too drinkable for a 12% big stout. It tastes better than the coffee I have every morning, but would probably get me fired from work if I make it my normal go to beverage.

jmarsh123, Sep 07, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -7.1%

This beast pours a mad thick pitch black. Mocha head sits at less than an inch. Sticky lacing leaves little bubbles around the glass. The nose is chocolatey and roasty. There is a bit of coffee involved but at the nose I am almost convinced that I had held onto this beer for longer than I should have. Nontheless, the massive chocolate and roasty offerings create a nice aroma. The taste is straight Willy Wonka. Chocolate infused with some toffee and deeply roasted malt. Great stuff going on here but the moutjfeel is the kicker. Oily, viscious and bold, Speedway Stout packs a candied, sticky punch that lathers the palate. Overall, this was a trade worthy of making as I do not have access to Alesmith brews and the flavors are robust and beastly. But, now
im ready to try this stout fresh. Love it.

ChugginOil, Sep 06, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

Despite a total lack of 'hiss' upon prying the cap and a remarkably lifeless looking pour, a bounteous and deep brown head blossomed in the time it took me to inspect the label. Though not all of it held up, a good chunk of it remains splattered across the glass. The black liquid beneath it looks as solid as marble and could not possibly be any darker.

The aroma showcases enough coffee that I can already feel my right eye starting to twitch and my left foot starting to tap at hummingbird speed. There's enough alcohol that my blood feels to be thinning out just through contact with the fumes. Mind you, it all comes across as incredibly delicious and overwhelmingly decadent. Gentlemen, start you engines!

Blindfolded, I might guess that I was fed some kind of 95% dark cocoa chocolate-infused coffee. There isn't much roasted grain but rather an astringent, oily coffee flavour as well as a sooty, bitter cocoa taste. It's actually a bit thin-bodied, albeit immensely flavourful. It possesses hints of vanilla and splintering wood spice normally found in barrel-aged offerings.

My first few times having Speedway Stout I was hung up on the beer's apparent strength, a decidedly 'hot' characteristic that can be almost inevitable when dealing with alcohol in the 12% range. That quality never seems to fade entirely, although even limited aging will smooth it out. I don't recommend excessive aging, however, as the beer doesn't have the breadth of malt that do many other stouts in its category.

Short of traveling to Ethiopia, seeing a lady handpick the beans, roast them in a pan in front of your eyes, ground them by mortar and pestle and then have you drink them from a traditional clay and straw pot, Alesmith Speedway Stout is probably the most unique and decadent coffee consumption experience you're bound to have. Although acquiring a bottle can be a hassle, whatever the price, it's still cheaper than a plane ticket to Africa!

biegaman, Sep 06, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +1.4%

Handpump cask pour @ Blue Palms Brewhouse - served in a snifter.

Inky bistre liquid with a markedly dense half finger of tan cream fed by the slowest moving tan flecks of bubbles, which struggle to the surface like polar jets ejected from a Herbig-Haro object across vast expanses of a galaxy. Perpetual retention, fine even lacing.

Coffee, licorice, chocolate, and rich roast barley in the nose. Smooth and gentle aroma.

Toasted biscuits dredged in molasses, coffee, and cocoa - immense depth of flavors and remarkable balance. Brown sugary, maple, cookie dough, and a faint smokiness come out in the loamy finish. Very faint dark fruit and low bitterness throughout vie for subconcious.

Chewy, velvety, full-bodied, with perfect soft carbonation and a light kick of alcohol (like spiked coffee). Perfection.

One of the best examples of the style from the bottle is a revelation from a properly kept cask. Quite a treat - don't miss it in this modality if you ever have the opportunity.

augustgarage, Sep 04, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours an opaque black with a small 1/2 inch puffy dark khaki head that fades to an oily cap. Random spots and small streaks of lace line the glass on the drink down. A gross slug of yeast or something plopped into my glass at the end of the pour from the bottle. Ew. Smell is of dark roasted malt, roasted coffee beans, slight chocolate, and a noticeable alcohol sting. Taste is of dark roasted malt, rich roasted coffee, and bitter chocolate. There is a nice roasty bitterness that sticks to the palate after each sip. A low level of carbonation makes for a smooth and thick mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good stout with some nice roasted coffee aromas and flavors.

UCLABrewN84, Sep 02, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -0.2%

Fortunate enough to get one in TX.

Starts with a black, opaque pour, with a nice, fluffy, dark khaki head. The head doesn't stick around for very long, but this already looks like a tasty beverage. Produces excellent lacing. The instant aroma is of chocolate and roasted coffee. With the first sip, it makes sense why there's praise around this beer. Vanilla, then coffee, followed by malts and hops, with a lingering, slight burning of booze. Silky smooth, with a nice, very slight hoppy tongue tingling bitterness; as full bodied as the appearance leaves you to believe.

Wasn't sure if there was a hope around it or not, but after sipping it, this definitely sets the standard for stouts.

FUNKPhD, Sep 02, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

Enjoyed this next to the barrel aged version last night with a friend. I have probably had this 50 times now but just getting to rating it!

Black pour into a snifter with a small creamy head. Aroma is bursting with freshly ground high quality coffee beans, vanilla and dry chocolate. You can tell this is pretty malt heavy from the aroma. Flavor is a lot of that roasted fresh coffee beans, unsweetened chocolate, light bitterness and hops. Really creamy and smooth, I love the mouthfeel on this! For being available here this is stellar and honestly something I drink a lot of. Next to the barrel aged version this is fairly strong on the coffee and definitely a bit lighter though still super full bodied. Great beer.

kayalla, Sep 02, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -0.2%

750ml split with friends to celebrate my birthday - poured into my goblet.

Pours opaque deep black with a tiny khaki head, receeds in a blink of an eye. At 12% I expect to find some sexy legs & they were absolutely there.

Nose is strong dark and milk sweet chocolates along with fresh roasted coffee & a solid presence of the booze.

Up front a little bittering bite hits and transitions to a silky smooth chocolate and coffee sweet. There is a nice punch in back from the alcohol. It wasn't hot though, just enough to be recognized.

Silky smooth, well carbonated & moderately thick body (8/10) do the flavors justice. Thank you.

Overall, it was an impressive Imperial Stout, but not north trading again for when the Yeti & Southern Tiers' Blackwater series are available near me. Definitely worth checking out once though.

hoptualBrew, Aug 30, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -24.1%

Been wanting to try this for awhile, so I was excited to see it offered at Rattle N Hum. The bottle we shared was served far too cold, so I let it warm up before getting critical.

A: pitch black, literally zero head, mild lace. Speedway Stout is purported to be a top-tier imperial stout, and I expected much more in this department.

S: smells *very* hot. Booze, chocolate, booze, and faint traces of coffee. Did I say booze? Zero aromatic complexity. Doesn't make me giddy with every whiff like the other top stouts in this category.

T: first sip was very cold, bland, and disappointing. Waited until it warmed up, then tasted again. Chocolate, roasted malt, sweet malts, mild coffee, and then plenty of booze. Lacks complexity and refinement, and doesn't hide its strength well. Reminds me of countless other mid-level imperial stouts. A decent beer, but wholly unimpressive.

M: its big, silky, smooth body is the only saving grace here. Definitely the best part of this brew.

D: about average for a 12% beer, but well below average in comparison with other top imperial stouts. Strong amount of alcoholic warmth as it goes down. Pretty heavy too, but this is usually not a point of contention for me. I'll be generous with a 3. Glad I shared this bottle.

I opened this bottle with high expectations and was let down every step of the way. This is in sharp contrast to a beer like Dark Lord: I again came in with high expectations, but was absolutely blown away on all fronts. My hopes for Cigar City's Marshal Zhukov were also high recently; that brew proved itself at least satisfactory on every level and excelled in mouthfeel. Can't say anything similar here.

Speedway Stout really let me down. I actually wish the bottle were musty or stale so I could chalk it up to those problems, but that was simply not the case. In two words, it's overhyped and unimpressive.

This is not a bad beer by any stretch, but expecting something special from this beer will leave you disappointed.

brystmar, Aug 30, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

Alesmith Speedway Stout

Pours a jet black color with a mocha colored head. Aroma of coffee, roasted malts and chocolate. In the taste, premium coffee with a little residual bitterness. Roasted malts are heavy. Mild anise like notes arise, coupled with coffee and roasted malts give it a refined "classic" stout taste but more vivid and lively than most. Full bodied feel, smooth, and very easy to drink despite the big abv. I would like to have a few of these in the cellar.

Stinkypuss, Aug 27, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to Kyle for bringing this to the Beern3rd tasting.

Pours an almost opaque black into the glass, an aggressive dark tan head storming on top. The outer edge of the beer is a deep, dark brown, but the body lets no light through.

The smell is phenomenal. Hands down my favorite aspect of the beer, this thing presents with huge dark chocolate, milky vanilla, and tons of coffee. Truly this is what stout smells like.

Taste doesn't quite follow through on the smell, not bad, just not as balanced. There was little to no booze in the smell but it somehow creeps into the taste mid-palate. The alcohol on this one isn't just warming, it has a spicy flavor. Chocolate from the nose and faint coffee round out the sip. Mouthfeel is solid but not too thick, a happy medium, though the taste and smell would indicate slightly more body.

Great beer, worthy of it's fame and high regards.

Nashvillain, Aug 27, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a Bordeaux wine glass.

Aroma: Fruity grape, vanilla, powered hot cocoa mix, dark roasted malt, and, finally, prominent coffee notes come through a while after being poured.

Appearance: Thick, dense, frothy dark tan head looks like a chocolate milkshake. Pitch black opaque body. Thin foam clings to the inside of the glass.

Flavor: Bold coffee-like bitterness. Nice, round deep dark chocolate combined w/ RICH fudge brownie sweetness. Vinous alcohol is fairly well cloaked behind the malt bill. Very subtle coffee note in the flavor. (Less than I'd hoped for, actually.) Prominent hoppy, peppery bitterness comes through at the end and lingers.

Mouthfeel: Medium-low carbonation, medium-high silky viscosity, with some warmth from the alcohol.

Overall: Overall, this one was really enjoyable. I can see why there's so much buzz about it. One minor issue that I had was the bitterness at the end, which was a bit more than I'd prefer. I'm going to lay my other bottle down and see how it tastes in another year or so...

mdvatab, Aug 25, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle.

This was the first time I've had this stout. I must say, very solid. I really enjoyed it. Typical of most stouts, this was impervious to light. A gorgeous shade of black with but a finger's width of a crown. The nose has myriad components to it. Malt, bittersweet chocolate, licorice, to name a few. For being a 12% offering, this didn't taste nearly as boozy as I'd anticipated. This has a nice solid mouthfeel to it. Thick, coats your entire mouth, and has some staying power to it. One of the better year-round stouts I've had the opportunity to drink. Glad I have a case's worth.

Retail1LO, Aug 24, 2011

Poured into a tulip.

A- Coffee black. Thick three finger mocha head. Sticky lacing. Sea foam like.

S- Fresh Coffee. Roasted malt. Some soy sauce. Vanilla. Carmel and chocolate as it warms. No abv heat. 12% undetectable.

T- Again coffee dominates. Roasted malt. Soy. Vanilla. Caramel. Chocolate. Alcohol very well hiden.

M- Heavy and thick.

O- Must try for any stout lover. One of the best stouts ive had.

dcook11, Aug 23, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

Picked this up for $12.99 at Weilands.
Poured from 750 ml bottle into pint goblet - no best by date visible.

A: Black as used motor oil, slightly aggressive pour yields a three finger head that descended into a thick tan frothy lacing, decent carbonation.

S:Roasted barley and malts, chocolate with slight coffee .

T: Roasted barley's and malt with a good dose of chocolate, sweet bitter coffee ,some slight char flavor, hints of anise as well , great tasting stout.

O: overall I'm not sure why it took so long for me to try this, I always see it on the shelves then see the price and move on to something a little more reasonable, However I'm glad I got to try it and from now on I won't mind shelling out a coupla extra bucks for this solid stout every now and then - would definitely have again.

InebriatedJoker, Aug 22, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

I discovered this stout when while visiting Long Beach, CA. We were at the Beachwood Brewery where they have a huge selection of beers on tap. The bartender recommended this one.

This is one of the best stouts I've ever had. Very creamy and rich. It's like velvet in your mouth with a sweet lingering after taste. Nice notes of chocolate both on the palate and nose. I don't usually love nitro poured beers because the beer is usually a little too flat for me but this was an exception. I thought the carbonation was perfect and as usual the nitro helped with the creaminess of the beer.

If you're a stout lover this should be on your list.

lcramer, Aug 21, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

A-black with a stable tan head. great lacing

S-dark coffee beans. chocolate with a hint of ginger, good strength

T-this comes in super strong of coffee and some chocolate. a very strong taste that is slightly bitter. its such a high quality taste that lasts as a strong after-taste. this is awesome.

M-medium carbonation with a dry finish

O-well this was very good. its a very full flavored stout. it went down very easily and very enjoyable. i was very sad when my draft pour was gone!

AdamBear, Aug 20, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -7.7%

I was so happy to find this when I was in Ohio – Speedway Stout has been on my list for as long as I’ve been into craft beer. Some of my favorite beers in the world are Imperial Stouts, and I can’t wait to see how the coffee flavors in this one play out.

No bottle date, so that means that this beer was produced pre-June 2011 (i.e. when Alesmith started dating their bottles).

A: Wow, this looks incredible. This beer is so thick that the head has a hard time moving through the body; it makes it look like molasses being pushed around. Because of that, the foam is two-layered: on top there’s a brown cascade of big bubbles that cover the entire top portion. Underneath, though, there’s an even thicker dark brown meringue. The bottom part especially has some excellent retention, and it leaves some thick lacing as it disappears. The body is jet black – darkest beer I’ve ever seen. I don’t think I’ve witnessed a stronger presence from a stout.

S: That’s a surprise…I was expecting a much bigger nose. Malts are dark and chocolaty, only showing their roasts for a brief moment. There’s a hint of some grainy textures, but only in a fleeting sense before the coffee kick comes in. I gotta say, though, those are some great-smelling beans; rich and bitter, they mix perfectly with the grains. On subsequent sniffs, I get a feeling of some unpleasant chalky fruits, but they don’t last long, fortunately. This certainly isn’t a very aromatic beer, but you can tell that it has a complex character.

T: Nice balanced spice upfront, followed by some thick chocolate. There’s licorice, blackcurrant, cinnamon, and marshmallow/whipped cream flavors interspersed throughout. The malts roll off the tongue in an odd way; sometimes with the crispness of grains, sometimes with an unappetizing murkiness. It might be the yeasts or the alcohol, but whatever it is has confirmed the chalky notes that I detected in the nose. It’s easy to look past that, though, since the bitters are so strong. A good, but timid coffee flavor couples with the main astringent here, hops, to bring these tones to the tongue last, but not least. On a bed of soft grains, these tart accents rush to the aftertaste and beyond, leaving this (appropriately) with the same finish as a cup of good coffee: smooth, and slightly dry. If only that chalk flavor wasn’t so large, I’d be in love with this beer.

M: Lush, warming, smooth; it’s everything you want in a stout. It has just enough carbonation to make every sip a fresh, new experience. Perfect.

O: This beer has so much going for it: the awesome mouthfeel, the special coffee beans, the sophisticated appearance. There were just a few striking sections of the nose and taste profile that really let me down. I know that this is a really respected beer, though, so I’ll give it another chance when I have an opportunity. In fact, this is one of those stouts that I actually think would be better fresh (or at least with six months of age or less). I’ll be on the lookout next time I’m out of state, because this stuff just has too much potential to let slide under the radar. Updates forthcoming…

BarryMFBurton, Aug 20, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -8.2%

2007 Bottle 750mL - Beautiful black pour with a healthy tan head. On the first sip, lots more malt than I remembered, but a well rounded overall finish of bitter chocolate, coffee and sweet brown sugar. Had to share it or risk sleeping on a friends couch, but as fine of an Imperial Stout as you are going to find. I can’t wait to see how this one turns out after a few years on the rack.

ditmier, Aug 20, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a darkness snifter, shared with a fellow BA.

A- Two finger tan brown head dissipates to a nice bubbly ring, great lacing and retention, great looking beer.
S- Aroma is very mellow compared to the taste; coffee beans, cocoa, roasted dark malts upfront, some molasses comes out in this finish.
T- Big coffee taste, roasted coffee beans, cocoa, nice hop profile, really nice complex beer, this beer is a sipper alcohol is definitely present but not overpowering.
M- Big mouth feel, well carbonated, definitely a sipper, sticky, dry finish.
O- I absolutely love this beer, its big, it’s a sipper, and it’s a quality stout with a great coffee and chocolate profile, big roasted notes that really makes this beer top notch.

Chriscrundwell12, Aug 18, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -1.4%

I will just echo a lot of what has been said about this beer, but it really is a standout beer with unbelievable smoothness.

A: pure black with a dark brown head
S: absolutely fantastic once wamrs up - vanilla, light roasted coffee
T: follows the nose, but pick up some almond-like taste. a bit astringent, same feeling from drinking a very strong espresso
M: this is where I fell in love with the beer, absolute silky mouthfeel from start to finish

World-class Imperial Stout.

gdkersey, Aug 16, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this one up while out in Cali for the Bruery Reserve Society Party earlier this year. Big thanks goes out to womencantsail for shipping this one to me after I got back home. Shared this one with funkydelic, beeruser, and dbhall. 2010 Vintage! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured pitch black with a one finger tan head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, coffee, caramel, and subtle acidity. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, coffee, and coffee acidity. It had a heavy feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. I can tell that a lot of the coffee aspect on this one had faded as it sat in my cellar. However it was still very present and quite enjoyable. The mouthfeel on this one was spot on for what I would expect from a brew of this style. Got to try this one side-by-side with BA Speedway Stout as well, but found BA to be superior due to the added woodiness and sweet alcohol aspect. Still a really good brew that I would suggest to anyone I came across.

thagr81us, Aug 10, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +10%

Having this stout in my usual manner..into my new belgium globe..51 deg according to my thermometer..

appearence is black with a nice kahki head after an aggressive pour, substantial lacing for a beer of this type, albeit quickly fading...nice appearence..

the smell, oh man, up front coffee,chocolate,malt sweetness...extrememly pleasing, especially for a black coffee lover like myself...

Bitter chocolate, coffee, sweet back end, overall very smooth, where 12% apv is hiding, who knows..nary a hint of booziness, very smooth..impressive..

The smoothness of this beer lends a good mouthfeel, not really heavy on the tounge,velvety..this a highly drinkable impy stout

warbird07, Aug 07, 2011