AleSmith Speedway Stout - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway StoutAleSmith Speedway Stout

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,427 | Reviews: 1,475
4.06/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours black wit a nice tan halo that laces nicely down the glass. Aromas of coffee and chocolate in a sea of booze. Taste follows nose with a bit of vanilla sweetness to round it all out. Nice thick mouth coats the tounge. This is a sipper, and opens as it warms to fill the senses with awesomeness.

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into Oversized Wine Glass, 750ml shared with SundaySour

A: Black cherry with lighter reds at the rim. Really apparent black coffee look with some deep brown bubbles. Bakers chocolates with powdery cocos. The look of char anticipates deep roastiness.

S: Really chocolatey with swirling roast aromas. Really comes off as a creamy coffee with charred notes of high coco dark milk chocolates. Some Hazelnut nuttiness melts into butter into a balance of a creamy coffee nose. This just begs for a chocolatey dessert pairing.

T: Deep swirling complex notes of nutty coffees. Mellow woody flavors without overt acidity. Dark chocolates imply a belgian origin; leading to an unreal palate creaminess. Buttery Soft notes of butterscotch round out a coffee theme. There really is just a wonderfully swirling mess of hazelnut/cream/chocolates/coffee. The flavor just begs sip after sip.

M: A lower carbonation with a creamy medium/heavy body. The ingredients really wear thick on the feel. Mouthfuls of flavor add a sensation of weight to the low carbonation; without an overwhelming presence of alcohol. Velvet textures follow the silky introduction. A soft coating of the tongue really gives this a fancy dessert feel. Really one of the best mouths in style.

O: Just phenomenal! Having had this multiple times now I'm astounded by the consistency. Bold flavors that are framed in a deep creaminess and soft mouth-feel. Superb canvas for barrels to paint upon. This will make an impression on any stout and or coffee lover. For fans of both -- this is your soul mate. It's impossible not to appreciate the coffee/stout blend of this beer; it's truly a marriage of all the ingredients.

4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured very aggressively from a bomber into a tulip glass. Appears a solid dark-brown to black color with a thick, frothy, two-finger head that is brown and leaves great lacing. The head never actually dissipates and leaves a nice remainder on the surface.

The smell is dominated by dark chocolate, roasted malts and coffee. Those three scents really overpower everything else, but there is a slight hint of alcohol in each sniff. The taste is extremely complex, and beautiful. The roasted malts and chocolate come through first, and the coffee acts as a bittering agent which settles in fairly quickly. The alcohol flavor settles in later, but it is very well hidden. The complex flavors here are very appealing and make you think through each sip.

The mouthfeel is thick, smooth and creamy. This is full-bodied, very complex but very enjoyable. It is also very drinkable for a 12% brew. Overall, an absolutely amazing brew. Definitely an enjoyable stout - one of the best I've had. Glad I finally picked this up, will definitely be looking for more

3.62/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Speedway Stout, vintage May 2011

Served in one of last two DFH signature glasses left in my possession. The others must have read my reviews of DFH beers and leapt to their deaths. I also lost a fish last week. Coincidence? I'm not so sure.

A: Pours black with massive brown head that takes a few moments to settle down to surface of beer. No appreciable lacing and so forth.

S: Roasted malts with molasses and some dark fruits. Hints of licorice, acetone, cocoa nibs, and earth.

T: Shocking sweetness combines with roasted malt and cocoa nib characteristics to form chocolate syrup, but of a higher quality than Hershey's. I do think the other characteristics I described in smell are manifested in taste, although acetone/alcohol is more subdued. Medium bitterness. Finish is long and roasty.

M: Medium-heavy body and medium-light carbonation. Fuller mouthfeel that moves from creamy to powdery. A little warming.

O: Coffee is much more low-key in Speedway Stout than I was expecting and acts as a prop to roast malts more than anything else. Then again, I recently drank some great coffee-forward stouts so maybe my palate is a little too tuned in to coffee for this beer. Reminds me of Yeti, which is another above-average imperial stout.

Thanks Robo for the beer. I know Speedway Stout is your favorite so it couldn't have been easy to let it go.

3.83/5  rDev -12.8%

Black with light brown head. Excellent lacing. Head looks almost sea-foamy. Smell is of rich chocolate immediately with coffee in the background, though weaker than I prefer in coffee stouts. Alcohol is present in the nose as well, indicating this is a very strong beer. Bitterness in the taste but still smooth. The chocolate is the first bit you get but the aftertaste is straight coffee. Some minimal grassy (that's the best way I can describe it) notes are also there. Slight charred quality as well with some hints of dark fruits and metal. No taste of the alcohol. Medium bodied, actually thinner than I expected.

Overall, this is decent for an imperial stout, but the coffee was disappointing. I actually wasn't aware of this until someone noted at the counter it was a coffee stout and was excited. But...it's still pretty well-made the heavy cost is somewhat offset by the fact it's a 750 and not a bomber.

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Brought back from AZ about 3 months ago.

A - Pours a full black with only a think line of deep brown around the edges. Tight brown head the leaves quickly but with a swirl returns. Some lacing left on the glass. Pours every bit an Imp Stout

S - Nice roast nose, some burnt sugar and maybe some smoke. Reminds me of a fresh bag of figs, perhaps some leather.

T - Complex roast, more burnt sugar, malt and some sugary sweetness in the back. There is a hop bitterness lingering but not overwhelming. There's also an alcohol spice in the back that really grows on you. Very nie

M - Rich and full bodied, nice low carb.

O - Every bit the great Imp Stout it's made to be. I think the best part of this beer is the back end...sweet, bitter and long. Quite a fantastic brew. Can't imagine the barrel aged version

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

750ml bottle into tulip. I bought this beer in early 2010 so I am assuming it is of 2010 vintage.

A - Pitch black, medium viscosity on the pour. Small mocha brown head with some lacing.

S - Coffee, vanilla, chocolate, slight charcoal.

T - Incredible coffee flavour. It is perfectly balanced with the chocolate, dark roast coffee, some dark fruits. The coffee seems pretty subdued to me but extremely well integrated. I expected it to be stronger based on other reviews but it wasn't overpowering. I am guessing that it has 'mellowed' out in the cellar over the past 15 months. Fantastic coffee stout.

M - Creamy, mid-heavy, ABV no where to be found.

O - One of the best stouts I have ever had. Not intimidating, very easy to drink. The high quality of the coffee that was used was evident. Great beer. Now on to try its barrel-aged brother...

4.23/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Pours jet black with a thin, brown head that dissipates quickly. This clings to the side of the glass nicely.

N: Dark chocolate, coffee beans, toffee, hints of grapefruit, some slight booze and maybe anise?

T: Rich coffee flavors run throughout this beer along with rich dark chocolate, toffee, some woodiness and perhaps some vanillla.

M: Medium bodied, creamy and smooth.

O: Beautiful dark flavors all around. Incredibly smooth with a slight bitterness in the finish. Extremely well balanced. Alcohol is hidden well.

4.48/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours pitch black with a light brown head. When I first opened the bottle(before pouring it into a glass) I could smell a little coffee oozing out of the bottle without having to put my nose anywhere near the bottle. After I poured it into my glass the smell amplified and I can smell the coffee and chocolate without having to put my nose to the glass or even having to really try to smell it since it took over my room. I taste the chocolate, coffee(some dark coffee) and alcohol. The coffee from Ryan Bros coffee beans is really heavy on the after taste so it lingers with me as I type this. I swear I'm drinking coffee and not beer. I would love to get another one of these and age it and see the differences. I hear it's great with some age on it.

4.33/5  rDev -1.4%

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Dark black bodied beer. Medium to dark brown head that is just massive, even with a moderate pour. The head just sticks around for what seems like forever. Lacing sticks all over the side of the glass.

Smell: Nothing really sticks out when smelling the beer. Faint malts and some chocolate. I am really surprised at how subdued the smell of this beer is especially when the bottle talk about how so much Ryans brothers coffee is used to brew the beer. I dont even get a hint of coffee in the nose. No boozy smell either.

Taste: Roasty and almost overpowering coffee flavor. Mild bitter bite that is imparted by the coffee. Very coffee forward with roasty malt profile. A touch of smoke. The coffee tastes so fresh.

Mouthfeel: This beer is full bodied and has a lot of carbonation to it fo a stout. The beer is very creamy and is also very smooth. I really dont taste any alcohol burn, impressive for a 12% ABV beer!

Overall: Am I drinking beer or is it carbonated coffee? My first Alesmith beer. Very Nice Stout! I will say this beer is in my top 5 coffee stouts in my book. Drink this beer with breakfast!

4.33/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from 750ml bottle into 11 oz snifter. Roughly cellar temp (~55 degreed F), as a stout should be served. Poured on a gray, rainy, cool June evening, perfect for a RIS in summertime. Also, note that this was cracked open in honor of St. John the Baptist Day today (6/24).

A - Surprise - it's jet black, no light getting through this guy. Looks like the moon during an eclipse as I hold it up to the light. The head is relatively thick for a RIS, frothy and brown like a coffee with just a bit of cream in it. It thins to a ring of lacing as the drink progresses. I'm surprised with the amount of carbonation initially scurrying up the side of the snifter. This beer looks sticky - and that's a good thing. The lacing left behind confirms this is a messy beer, yet beautiful all the same. 4.5

S - Already pretty warm so it has a nose right off the bat, though it doesn't hang on that long. I'm getting chocolates, though the coffee I'm told to expect is mostly hidden for now. I can smell the booze in this one. This will be interesting. 4

T - Oh man - THERE'S the coffee! Starts off a little sweet but then those Ryan Bros. roasted beans kick in big time, like a flood bursting through a cracked dam. Is it breakfast time right now? Cause I could be eating a bowl of cereal with this beer right now, and that's not a bad thing. The latter part of the taste is more sweet and chocolately, maybe some dark fruits in there. As the beer warms (though it's already basically there), the coffee fades and the sweets take over. Aftertaste has that lingering metallic kind of sweet taste that I'm just not a huge fan of. That's a little disappointing, though this does fade out rather quickly as the beer airs out. The overall flavor is good - very good, the more I sip it. 4.5

M - Like I said, this is a thick beer, very syrupy and viscous. Someone put whole milk as creamer in this coffee. That's not stopping me from easily sipping the coffee goodness, but nonetheless notable. 4

O - Other than that certain sweet flavor near the end of the drink that I just can't stand for some reason in some RIS, this is a great beer. The coffee rush just after the initial sip and in the lingering aftertaste make me crawl back for more. A beer I might battle with back and forth, but in the end, quite worth it. 4.5

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought this bottle at the new Winking Lizard Lizardville bottle shop. I have seen this at all of the best bottle shops, and after a couple beers and a flight of bourbon in me I felt ready to take the plunge on this $12 bottle of beer.

I must admit, I am ashamed to say, that I never realized this was a coffee stout. I would have tried it much sooner had I known this crucial bit of information!

Poured into a Cigar City snifter. Very dense black with brown coffee highlights on the pour, though it collects into a thick black licorice color soon enough. The head is slow to rise, and short, but the retention on this toffee colored cap is really drawn out. Lace is intermittent but also thick and pleasing on the eye.

The aroma is nice, but subtle. Coffee has been expertly blended; an exercise in balance. Smooth dark malts, roasted peanut, and rich dark cacao create an inviting nose.

Where I found balance in the aroma, the taste is a full-on coffee onslaught. Rich and eye-opening, a glass of this has me feeling more awake. Bitterness grows, but it has nothing to do with hops, and everything to do with black malt and roasted coffee beans. A mild pervasive sweetness pairs well with the coffee and malt, lending a nice chocolatey flavor.

Smooth, quite creamy, and very sticky, the mouthfeel embodies all that a true Imperial Stout ought to. The alcohol is strong enough to make sure you know it's there, but not so apparent to be detracting. *I had to come back to the review and add that by the end of the bottle the beer had warmed considerably - maybe 60 or so degrees. At this point the alcohol became very apparent and forced me to keep this from being a full "5."

Overall I cannot believe it has taken me so long to try this beer. Quite superb, and well deserving of its reputation. As far as coffee stouts go, I believe that only Founders Breakfast Stout, and maybe Peche Mortel have a better flavor than this. While the price is a tad high, my advice is to suck it up, and go buy some now!

4.11/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks to my buddy Al for another great, rare pickup for those of us from Indiana who don't have some of these great brews available to us.

Poured into New Belgium snifter. Pours jet black with 4 fingers of mocha foam that leave a significant amount of lacing.

You can't taste the 12% in this beer, but you can certainly smell it. The booze aroma actually overrides the dark chocolate, smoke and molasses that you can slightly smell

Drinking this beer is like eating 85% cocoa chocolate with some carbonation. It's fantastic

Carbonation is surprising in this beer but not overwhelming. Beer transitions from sweet into a nice bitterness.

I've been lucky enough to try some really good stouts and this one is right up there

4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

This bottle was purchased a week ago at Jungle Jim's and is being shared with zep9865. This beer pours a viscous midnight black in color with a two finger, creamy dark khaki head. The aromas are of mokah and bitter cooking chocolate. There is a nice cream aspect to it that welds the coffee and chocolate together in a near perfect manner. It drinks like lightly roasted chocolate coffee beans with a touch of cream and a light boozy finish. It's also sweet but not too sweet. It's nice but the coffee features a little more bitterness when compared to a bevy of other stouts. The alcohol isn't very present for being so high in abv. This drinks exceptionally smooth and coats the palate with chocolate and coffee goodness. Overall this is a superb beer and definitely worth a try. If only I didn't have to drive to Cincinnati to get it!

4.03/5  rDev -8.2%

The mighty Speedway Stout, managed to finally get a bottle from my local shop in Bethlehem. I knew that it's said to be better with age but I was very excited to try it and didn't bother waiting more than a week or two to open it up. The pour was pitch black and gave off a nice brown colored head on it. The smell was deeply roasted and had elements of coffee and chocolate. The flavor of the beer seemed to me like it was lacking something. The flavors were pretty good but not something that I was expecting. I guess I was missing the WOW factor of it all. The flavors were the same as what was picked up on the nose with a subtle hoppiness to it. The mouthfeel was pretty good, not overly thick but still had enough body to keep it intact with the style. Overall I wasn't extremely impressed with this, I've picked up another bottle since and I plan on aging it for a while. I plan on revising this review when that time comes.

4.74/5  rDev +8%

Pours pitch black, with no head and nothing but little brownish bubbles at the top of the beer. Just looking at it, you can tell this is one thick beer. Smell is HUGE amounts of coffee. Oh man, so much coffee in the aroma, and a very nice chocolate smell to compliment it. Taste is just like the smell..coffee. Really good coffee though. Very little hops or bitterness to it, just smooth coffee and chocolate. Absolutely delicious. This is by far the best coffee stout I've had. Mouthfeel is very oily and think...not a lot of carbonation, but it works pretty well as this is a huge beer. The alcohol is not even noticable. Fantastic beer.

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

2011

Looks delicious. Luscious large brown head with deep dark brown body. Head dissipates very very slowly leaving thick lace.

Big coffee and chocolate aromas. Definitely sweet. You can sense the alcohol. Maybe a bit of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream sorta scent.

An initial spiciness is immediately followed by sweet coffee chocolate flavors. Theres a definite subdued sense of hops in the finish. The chocolate and coffee blend well in the finish. The coffee flavors throughout are very good.

The mouthfeel on this is exceptionally smooth with small bubbly carbonation, lighter side of heavy. 12% get increasingly prominent but always welcome and warm.

One of the top imperial stouts I've tried. Delicious.

4.11/5  rDev -6.4%

Dark brown and clear, viscous looking but not the thickest, Speedway poured with a medium dark brown head that fell to a ring and a disjoint sheet of tiny foam soon enough. Some lacing. Good enough for a 12% ABV Imperial Stout.

Aroma: Coffee, alcohol, and sweetness that could be from alcohol, but most probably comes from sweet malts. No hint of roast; and overwhelming booziness --- limited in merit and complexity.

Taste is smooth, bitter and flavorful with coffee. Ample amount of sweetness from rich malts and alcohol. Finishes with unexpected strength of roast and a kiss of alcohol with lingering coffee aftertaste. Feels silky with low carbonation against its body but is still not as coating; however, the finish is fairly clean too so no problems here.

Overall rather one dimensional but quite potent and well done.

4.3/5  rDev -2.1%

A- Pitch black with a dirty brown head, nice looking stout.

S- Sweet coffee with sugar and cream, some vanilla there as well, slight touch of booze.

T- Full frontal assault of coffee, freshly roasted beans that abrasively attack your palette, some char and dirt. Lactic notes and sugar.

M- Not as thick as I thought it would be for all the big taste, but overall nice smooth slick stoutlike feel.

O- Probably the best coffee stout I've had, definitely something to seek out.

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Ok, I have had this before, but it was a 4 year old bottle, this bottle is a fresh new arrival at my local store. Happy to see Alesmith again!

Pours a deep flat black color with a huge tan head. Looks wonderful.

Nose is of dark heavily roasted malts, a fresh cup of coffee, and some dark chocolate.

First sip, wow... This is full flavored! Lots of coffee, more so than a lot of coffee beers I have had before, but it's not overly strong. I taste what reminds me of those chocolate covered coffee beans, some dark sugar, cream, and some bitterness on the finish. No hints of heat from the alcohol at all.

Mouthfeel is quite good, this is a bit viscous, but not to thick. It's actually quite smooth too.

Overall, an outstanding beer. I think it's much better than the aged one I had a few years ago. I think this is a beer best consumed fresh. I'm impressed, but that is something that Alesmith does often to me while drinking their brews.

4.39/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into DFH snifter, not much in the way of head, and totally opaque.

I love the coffee character in this beer, and it starts with the smell. Rich malts, and really well balanced.

The coffee flavor comes through very nicely as well, heavy roast malt flavor with a slight bitterness. Good viscosity, great beer.

4.08/5  rDev -7.1%

From a bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a nice black with a thin tan head (akin to a good espresso head) that lasts throughout

Smells of sweet chocolate, and little coffee

Lots of roasted malts and coffee notes with a nice sweetness balance. In the finish there is a slight alcohol burn in the back of the throat mixed with a hoppy bitterness.

Mouth feel is very full and creamy

Overall maybe a little understated, or at least less then what I was expecting. Yet still a very good stout.

4.43/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Let me preface my review by saying you must have this on tap if you can find it as it is a million times more vibrant than when I've had it in bottles. Just saying.

Had this at Toronado (San Diego) during my honeymoon last week!

A: Black body with GREAT looking mocha head of a pinky that never goes away and leaves mountains of lacing in its wake. Awesome.

S: Lots of fresh coffee mixes with toffee, hazelnut, plenty of charred malts, espresso sweetness, and chocolate ice cream/gelato like in the ice cream/gelato shops.

T: Excellent balanced coffee stout on tap, very awesome. Mocha flavor thats a nice level of sweetness to balance to bitter hops hitting at the back of the palate. Almost like eating a rich chocolate bar at times with other notes of licorice, charred dark barley and malt, with a dash of coca powder on top.

M: A little overly bitter in the back for me, almost a little astringent later in the serving, but still has a nice body and is smooth other than the bitters.

Overall a very nice beer that shows it's true colors on tap.

4.73/5  rDev +7.7%

From notes:
I had this on tap at the Blue Palms Brewhouse in Hollywood Califas!!

Appearance: Black as any stout. The head is mocha colored and sticks around for a good while

Aroma: Coffee, some bakers chocolate, I also detect a little hop as well. The aroma in this stout is not as pronounced as many of the big RIS’

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and almost creamy. Great mouth-feel

Taste: This beer has a rich premium coffee taste there are some malts in it as well. The coffee does wonders in hiding the heat in the alcohol

Drinkability: This is by far the most drinkable RIS that I have ever had. This beer has an ABV of 12% yet I feel like I can easily quaff this goblet down!

Overall: This is a definite go to IRS, the drinkability will make you forget that it is a huge stout. Easily one of my favorite beers of all!!

4.23/5  rDev -3.6%

Fresh bottle, less than 2 months. Agressive pour into snifter. Big 3 finger head, wasn’t expecting that with such high ABV. Taste is typical of big imperial stouts (think founders Imp Stout) with decent amount of coffee. Big chocolatey flavors. This was a bit of a let down seeing as how it was on the top 100 beers, I was expecting a lot more. Very good though.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company