AleSmith Speedway Stout - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway StoutAleSmith Speedway Stout

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith Speedway Stout Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +11.2%

I have had this beer a couple of times, not sure why it took me so long to rate it. The pour is a rich midnight color that has a very nice viscous quality to it. Nice to see the glass change colors as you drink it. The head is a darker tan color that remains around the edges of the glass but limited lace. More viscous then lace.

The nose is malty but limited for being as big as it is. Mostly darker malt notes such as chocolate, roast and a touches of coffee. Some lactic quality that blends nicely with the alcohol/solvent esters. Some coca cola smells as well. There is a touch of tropical fruits, figs and raisins mostly, but some feint woody characteristics as well, vanilla comes to mind.

The taste is rich and full flavored. The initial tastes come out nicely with an expensive dark chocolate taste. This is followed up with a more roast like flavor that isn't as astringent as would have expected, rather smooth and silky. Some sugary notes, molasses and alcoholic warmth to it. There is a smooth finish that isn't quite like a milk stout but has the feel to it. Some bonus flavors of vanilla and mocha finish off a great taste.

The body is noticeably big and chewy. The rich flavor adds to the silkiness almost like a oatmeal stout. Some oily textures that are a bit of a deterrent but overall a great beer to race to get.

Oxymoron, Feb 04, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

$14.20 at Downtown Wines in Boston.

Pours pitch black, no light penetrates even the extremities. A smallish tan cap quickly recedes to a ring and leaves lots of lace on the glass. A heady mix of dark, astringent malts, milk chocolate and cappucino fill my nostrils on first sniff. Chocolate gets bigger as the beer warms, and some alcohol heat becomes evident. The taste is an intense combination of concentrated Roasted barley, fresh ground coffee, dark and milk chocolate, toffee and overripe berries. A bit of alcohol lies in the back, quite modest for the high ABV. Some citric hoppiness emerges with warmth.

The mouthfeel is extremely full bodied with a silky almost oily texture. Carbonation is light. The finish is roasty and bitter. Very satisfying stuff.

CAMRAhardliner, Feb 04, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

Have been saving this one for my 100th review.

P: 750 ml. Brown bottle

A: Pours a jet black with one finger of dark chocolate foam head that quickly settles

S: Dark chocolate, roasted coffee and grains with feint alcohol fumes.

T: Myriad of chocolate and roasted coffee with creamy sweetness and huge alcohol fumes.

M: Wow is this a big! Well balanced throughout the tasting, and the aftertaste keeps on going and going...

D: Since this is in a 750 ml. and nobody else will imbibe I will make the sacrifice and drink this lovely brew by myself!
Will be having another long before my 200th review!

NitroGen, Feb 03, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -2.5%

Split a 750ml bottle which was really cool looking. Silver foil over a plain bottle cap.

A: Black with 2 fingers of tan head. Tons of carbonation in the edge of the glass.

T: Tootsie rolls! Chocolate and roasted malt are there as well. Slight hope smell at the end. Was really surprised how boozy this was. Definitely noticeable.

M: Nice solid heavy body. Carbonation was good.

D: Glad I split this. Very powerful tasting. My GF brough this back with her from Cali and we had been saving it. Definitely a great beer but living in NY and not being able to get it I would have been disappointed if I had given up anything really good to get this. If I was living in Cali I would enjoy being able to get this beer on the regular.

aerozeppl, Feb 02, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -8.2%

This is a laudible effort. How could a beer with manure notes receive an A+ rating? Well ... it's a unique, adult beverage. I'm surprised that any non-RIS lovers would like this--it's serious.

Poured from overly adorned (foil covered and no cork?!) bomber into favorite glass. Looks like typical RIS/double--almost black with medium brown head. One thing I noticed is that I had to pour it hard to get any head. After the 1/4 inch head formed, it vanished, leaving only a perpetual ring around the rim.

The smell is amazing--so much going on I can't do it justice. Burnt, chemical, chocolate, manure, coal, cola, toast and fresh bread ...

The initial taste is almost too much, like watching a 1 second video clip. It quickly clicks through a myriad of flavors, all of which can be found in the note. It's an extraordinary beer, one to be savored for hours, literally. It's one of the biggest beers I've ever had, probably the biggest.

The carbonation sucks. It's flat. I wonder if there was a problem with this particular beer. I did notice some small dings on the cap, so it could be. I've had other big stouts with this profile, so I'm not sure, but I don't like it when there's almost no carbonation.

As much as I like this tar-ry double, it's almost too much--LOTS of alcohol, and it smacks you pretty hard, so it's difficult to drink, even if you're a lover of big beers, as am I. That's my impression, anyway.

boogles, Jan 30, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -28.2%

I have shipped alot of these around so figure it is about time review one.

It looks good, black with a small tan head, nice lacing

Smells of roasted malts, coffee, burnt toast

Taste was of coffee, burnt toast, ash, roasted malts, alcohol and a slight earthy hop flavor.

Was decent mouth feel, not as coating as i would have liked.

I didnt care for this one, the 12% was a little too hot for me, perhaps some cellar time would make this one better.. or maybe because i drank it on the heals of an abyss.

tayner, Jan 27, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +6.6%

Just Perfect. Jet black body with a towering three fingers of head. The cocoa-colored head almost appears to be a solid material and the lacing is flat out sinister. Just goddamned perfect!

Coffee, bittersweet chocolate, rye bread, fading vanilla, wisps of smoke, soft fusel alcohol to the finish...I could spend another hour detecting aromas from this beer and it wouldn't be hard to do from a full four feet away.

A stunning rush of dark, bittersweet chocolate with a perfect foil of finishing hops. Really little to no coffee on the tongue although charred qualities push through with a fair amount of discernible malt sweetness. Long, lingering burnt chocolate finish. Love it, love it, love it.

Smooth, creamy, lush and biting on the finish. Luxurious and bold yet never out of bounds. Despite the fact the ABV is firmly over the 10% line, when judging against style this one is a stunner. Just for a decadent edge I paired this with some premium coffee ice cream. Fucking ridiculous.

Kryptic, you've outdone yourself.

malcontent, Jan 27, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +10%

On tap at Stuffed Sandwich. Enjoyed in a pint glass filled to the brim, which may technically be a bad pour, but certainly gives the best bang for the buck!

A: Pitch black with a tiny brown ring, partly due to the pour and partly due to the beer. I've had this beer from the bottle before and it had minimal head as well.

S: Mainly chocolate and coffee, much less of a burnt aroma than many imperial stouts, which is a big plus in my book.

T: As expected, primarily sweet chocolate and bitter coffee flavors, some "burnt" flavor, but not much. So well balanced, everything melds together perfectly! Definitely some alcohol, but nothing like the high percentage would suggest.

MF: Full bodied, smooth, and creamy. Feels very thick, but goes down so smooth you'd never know.

D: So smooth and tasty with minimal alcohol burn. I could have drank this all day! Another perfect score!

After one bottle at home and a pint on tap, I'd say this has to be one of my favorite beers. One to try at all costs!

srroos, Jan 26, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

a: Speedway stout is absolutely black, no highlights. It poures with a smallish brown head that quickly fades to a ring around the glass.

s: Big notes of both coffee and dark chocolate are apparent as soon as the bottle is opened. As it breathes, some smokey earthy malts assert themselves.

t: Every now and then I find myself in a stout rut. They all start to blur together. None jump out as being actually bad, they just seem unexceptional. This is the exception. Luscious semi-sweet chocolate starts things off, briefly combining with before yielding to, a perfectly pitched coffee bitterness. There is also a nice fuzzy blanket of alcohol on the end. Obscenely good.

m: Almost perfect here. The carbonation is spot on, foamy and slow acting. Just a whisker of viscosity short of perfection.

d: Beers like this and traders like tayner are what make trading worth while.

DIM, Jan 24, 2008

750 ml bottle

pours a nice viscous, glossy black, with a good creamy-looking but fleeting brown head. Light struggles to show even at the edges of the glass. Spotty lace over parts of the glass. Quite the looker.

Aroma is very strong, and full of robust coffee. The malt seems so heavily roasted and even charred. Wonderful. Chocolate is probably pretty strong here, but relatively speaking is in the background to the java. Really nice!

Hard to find fault with this flavor. I don't even drink much coffee, but sometimes I love it in my beer. Big coffee and chocolate flavors, plenty of charred malt and hop bitterness. Huge - there's so much flavor here! Wonderful complex sweet profile. Really carmelized and full of molasses. My palate dries from the wonderfully long and heavily roasted coffee/bitter hop finish and demands that I take another sip. I quickly acquiesce to the request.

Excellent, but not quite spectacular in mouthfeel. Still, there's little to complain about. Carbonation is soft, the texture creamy, and it's generally just about perfect. Body is on the high side of medium, but needs that extra bit of fullness to make this truly one of my favorites. I'm probably looking too hard to find fault with this one, but I'll stick with a 4.5 for now.

Definately a sipper...but I'm sipping it awfully fast! Really satisfying. Expertly hidden alcohol. Hey, what's the caffeine situation with this beer? - will I be up all night now? Whatever - it was worth it. Highly recommended!

udubdawg, Jan 17, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +12.3%

I just ordered a couple of bottles from Liquorama and they were delivered at almost the perfect drinking temperature. Poured into a snifter, I filled it up 3x... quite a bargain for $10!

It pours jet black with a slightly off-white head. It starts out with a strong coffee and chocolate taste, then as it warms, segues to a caramel malt flavor.

I put this right in the same league as Founders Breakfast Stout and a half-step below Darkness. It's that good!

rudylaw, Jan 16, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours coal black into Piraat snifter Hint of foam around the edges with polka dot lacing. Gets better from here. Great nose of coffee, malt. Holy chocolate shop, this stuff is amazing. Tastes like the beer version of a Maison du Chocolat treat from Paris. The perfect balance of chocolate, coffee, slight bitterness on the base of the pallete. I don't drink stouts very often, so take this for what it's worth. This stuff is absolutely the best damn black beer I have ever had the pleasure to taste. Mouthfeel is full but absolutely pleasant. Buzz is unreal and in your face too. Wow.

korndog, Jan 15, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -1.4%

750ml foil wrapped bottle, no date indication, but I just got this in a December shipment from liquorama.net. The beer was served in a tulip glass at 45-50 degrees.

A - dark black with just some foam, as I intend on keeping the yeast in the bottle as suggested.

S - roasted coffee and dark chocolate aromas.

T - sweet molases flavor upfront, bittersweet chocolates, finishing with the bitterness of espresso coffee, delicious if you like this sort of stuff!

M - full bodied, heavy-weight stout.

D - a tatse sensation, but it's filling and the abv kicks ass! Drink slow and enjoy every drop.

Final Note: I couldn't have picked a better beer for my 400th review... Cheers!

JoeyBeerBelly, Jan 06, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

2007 Version pours an effervescent ebony ( I hold it towards the setting sun & zero light penetrates it!) with 2+ fingers of mocha colored head into my Vondel snifter. Shimmers like 50 wt motor oil. Not much lacing & head retention

S: Chocolate, iron & roasted malts, plus some booze as this warms, oakyness as really warmed up

T: Iron, roasted malt, milk & baker's chocolate up front. I get a mocha as this warms along with dark chocolate & a bit of booze, plus Kahlua. Finishes dry with strong coffee
( Kona to me! ), much chocolate & the right amount of booze

MF: Real chewy & oily, plus silky with minimal carbonation, very rich

Drinks easy for the ABV, the complexity just sucks you in. A little too much coffee & dryness to try to session on IMO. Superb Imp Stout!

russpowell, Jan 06, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

750ml foil wrapped capped bottle aged for approx. 6 months and served at cellar temperature in a Pint Glass

A – Poured a very deep dark black oil like liquid with a large two finger head of tannish brown foam on top. Very nice thick poured on this one as it seemed to just ooze out of the bottle and plop down into the glass. There was no way to vigorously pour this one; rather you just kind of had to let it slide down. Nice retention initially as it took a good few minutes before the head settled down to just a thin film of brown across the top. After five or more minutes even this was gone as the only thing remaining were some small amounts of tan suds clinging to the side and a thick black oil looking liquid taking up residence in the glass.

S – The aroma was very rich and full of roasted malts and hints of coffee. It was rather strong and pungent with hints of dark baker’s chocolate also easily apparent as you took in whiff or two. Some strong hints of the alcohol were also easily found even in the aroma, giving you a hint at what lies beneath this 12%abv monster. As it warmed you were able to start picking out some aromas of sugary lactose and even a hint of caramel or vanilla adding some great depth and profile to the smell.

T – The flavor was very full and rich and really made me very pleased to be able to try it. With all the hype surrounding it, it was nice to not be let down and to see this one hold up to the loft goals I had set for it. The rich flavor awaiting me was touched off by a storm of dark baker’s chocolate laced in between rich Smokey roasted malts a touch of alcohol creating almost a wave of just dark delights that rolled over you and warmed you from the inside out. The deep flavor gave way to a subtle sweetness mingled in were the nice lactose flavor and the hints of vanilla which only served to deep its profile and increase its grip on me. The finish was strong with a long lasting hint of chocolate and a boozy like quality that dragged it out.

M – A very full bodied ale this one came across as thick as molasses with a rich oil like coating across the entire inside of your mouth. A very big rich creamy feel this one simply would not let go. It was truly the dessert beer, not really reach out and grasping that feeling of shake like consistency, but more relying on the just full bodied assault of the sense. Very nice.

D – Well for 12%abv you could barely tell I will give it that. It was very filling, really putting a hurt on you and filling you up pretty quickly. Now I took my time with this one to be honest, really enjoying it and taking almost 3 hours to drink the bottle. I just thought it was better this way as it really let me take in the flavors and see the changes occur as it went from the 50 degrees of my cellar to almost room temperature.

Overall I thought this was great. Really a very fine and high quality ale here. I would have no issues getting this one again as it really embodies a strong stout in every sense of the word. Very full big flavors with a long dry finish. What more could you ask for. Completely deserving of its spot on the list, a really fine ale indeed.

mikesgroove, Jan 05, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

A well aged bottle of this was shared with my brother-in-law. Pours pitch black with a nice dark brown head. Aroma has great dark chocolate, coffee, and alcohol sweetness. Flavor is that of everythigng black - roasted malts, dark roasted coffee, rich dark chocolates, and a hint of black cherry fruit. Truly an experience. Mouthfeel is also thick and rich. coats the tongue but doesn;t destroy the urge to drink more. If anything. the lingering flavors draw me to drink more. Can't wait for my next trip to SoCal.

aaronh, Jan 04, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +12.8%

There’s a running theme with Speedway Stout and my attempts to review it. I open a bottle with the full intent on writing a review. Half way through that bottle, I am overcome by the amazing wonderment that is Speedway. Soon after a desperate craving to drink more and more Speedway develops and doesn’t subside until I have filled my gullet with every stout and coffee beer in my house. By the time I recover, I have usually forgotten half of what I had intended to write about the beer. Still, all themes change and alas, it is time for me to finally review Speedway Stout.

This particular bottle was a touch over 3 years old, well cellared, and was given to me in San Francisco some time ago. Compared to younger vintages, I found that the aging mellowed the body, dramatically reduced the coffee flavor, and brought out more dark fruit character.

Appearance: Jet black with a thick head the color of antique, old growth Douglas Fir. Head retreats rapidly to a skim. Ample carbonation.

Aroma: Espresso beans, 85% cocoa chocolate bars, fermented cherries, blackberry, date, and plum and molasses.

Taste: Cocoa and dark roasted coffee beans. Lots of dark fruit alcohol. Toast and a touch of molasses.

Mouthfeel: Thick, chewy, full bodied. Alcohol does not overwhelm lending only a pleasing warmth throughout. Balanced coffee acidity, chocolate bitterness, and fruity/alcohol sweetness.

Drinkability: Flawless. As I said, Speedway turns me into a fiend for more every time I let it touch my lips.

I love this. Again, the big difference I see with aging is that the coffee aroma and flavor are really reduced. The beer as a whole seems better balanced, more mellow, and drinkable.

DaPeculierDane, Jan 02, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours from a nicely designed bottle/label into my glass a dark black color. Low lacing and small but persistent toffee colored head. It's thick and rich. The aroma is big roasty, malty, toasted coffee, bitter caramel, molasses and licorice. The taste is big, rich, sweet, nutty, brown, toasty, burnt, bitter, coffee, espresso with chocolate late in the story followed by late dryness and an aftertaste of all that lingers on for a long time. Mouthfeel is nice and round, full, good small bubbled carbonation and pretty thick. Pretty drinkable too for a 12%er.

NoLiberty, Dec 31, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +10.5%

Ok, sitting here on Christmas eve with a long night of cooking ahead of me. And I decided that it's been too long since I've had a Speedway, and for some reason or other, never reviewed it. So here we go...

'06 Vintage. Poured into my large DFH snifter.
It's hard to imagine a beer getting much darker. Baking chocolate dark, with a pinch of coal thrown in for good measure. Impenetrable to light. 1 1/2 finger head of fluffy, chocolate colored head with minimal retention. Lot's of full, multi-sized bubbles, eroding to a thin ring that stayed throughout the beer. Very little lacing to speak of.
Immediate coffee on the nose. Strong, like a triple espresso, hold the cream. Powerful roasted malt, pruny, with almost an oily aroma. Also getting a strong whiff of chocolate. This is like one big 12% mocha.
This one, even so big, tends to be gulped rather than sipped. Maybe it's the long day, maybe it's the creamy, luscious mouthfeel, or maybe it's the HUGE coffee and dark chocolate whollup that explodes in my mouth with every sip. Bitter and sweet in every mouthful. The two tastes play back and forth with each other. It's coffee, no it's chocolate. It's playfully sweet, no it's a man's drink. Either way, it's a big beer with a big bite. Getting some slight fruitness in the backbone. A dry, hoppy bitterness (or is it the bitter coffee) rounds out the glassful. But don't worry, there's still over 1/2 a bottle to go.
Medium carbonation with a very big body. Thick and viscious. This may be where Old(er) Viscosity got it's inspiration.
This is one of my favorite beers of all times. It doesn't get much better than this.
Merry Christmas everyone.

Brewfan, Dec 25, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottled shared with fisherman34 on a bright and cold saturday morning. Pours out dark espresso with a nose of espresso and dark chocolate. Thick body on this but not cloying in the slightest. Someow seems dry and viscous at the same time. Little ash in the taste, but also nicely balanced with the chocolate malts. Drinkability is very high given the potency of this brew. Excellent stuff.

oakbluff, Dec 19, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -3.9%

750 ml bottle in a snifter.

A - Is this beer or a thin mollasis? Damn is it dark. It has a medium brown head that disappears quickly.

S - Three things. Coffee, chocolate and alcohol.

T - Wow, you taste the sweeter chocolate while in your mouth and then the finish hits the back of your palate and the coffee flavor hits you really hard. After the finish you get a slight warming sensation in your throat from the alcohol, very light but there.

M - This disappointed me. I don't get much while in my mouth. It has a slight flavor then the knockout is the finish. I wish it had more initially.

D - I like it a lot. Stouts are my favorite and this is a great one. My only complaint is the initial flavor is weak. Don't get me wrong, it kicks your a$@ after that.

Great beer!

jeffmonarch, Dec 12, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

'07 vinatge 750ml bottle poured at 45F into a snifter glass

Dark black color with a nice cedar tint. Thick espresso brown head that settles to a light foam around the glass.

The nose is strong of coffee and chocolate malts. There is also a nice mixture of roasted black malts with vanilla, ripe fruits, caramel and molasses/toffee. Finally, a light floral hop character keeps the sweetnes in balance.

The taste has a big coffee presence surrounded by dark chocolate and black malts. Complimenting these fine flavors are blackstrap molasses, vanilla, cherries, raisins, earthy nuts and a warming alcohol. Like the nose, it finishes with a nice bitter citrus hop flavor.

Creamy medium to full body and well carbonated. Passes very smoothly over the tounge.

Deliciously well balance and very complex. A huge beer that can be enjoyed any time.

rye726, Dec 06, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured at Pizza Port ontap into a pint glass (12-03-07). Poured a midnight jet black with a nice thick tan head. Smell is of fresh roasted coffee and roasted malt. Taste is rich coffee, chocolate, and a slight carmel malt hidden in there. The alcohol is well hidden but at 12% you still get that warmth. The mouth feel is full body but still retains a creamy feel with a help of moderate carbonation level. For the alcohol this is a very drinkable beer. I have had this beer both in bottle and tap for the last five years and have to say it is one of my favorite beers in the world and I am so happy to live so close to the source.

sfoley333, Dec 05, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to fartingdog for this bottle in a trade. Cheers!

The kids are in bed, the wife is out, and Speedway Stout is in my liver. Life is good. Poured right from my cellar. Very black in appearance. Big smell & taste of coffee and chocolate with a hint of booze. Mouthfeel is smooth and the drinkability is a bit affected by the ABV. This is a great beer. At PopeDx's house last year, we did a blind Speedway vs DL tasting & I preferred the Speedway. Nough said.

Highly recommended.

SkinnyElvis, Dec 02, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +7.1%

Wonderful thick, creamy mouthfeel. Almost feels like cream has been added. Among my favorite mouthfeels ever.

Delicious coffee flavor. The coffee is really out front and provides all the bitterness in the beer. I couldn't taste any hops - but that is ok. Because of the coffee bitterness the beer was adequately balanced between sweet and bitter flavors. No alcohol taste, even though the ABV is 12%.

Super drinkable, until you pass out from the ABV.

Just a few negatives:

I couldn't get any head out of this beer, even with a fairly aggressive pour. I'd like to see a bit of head. Thus the 3.0 appearance rating.

Even though there is no alcohol in the taste, the alcohol hits you pretty hard in the nose. So I took off a point for smell.

wanker, Nov 27, 2007